Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Eastern Greene???

Has anyone been following this series of events going down between the new school board and essentially the entire school?

students and parents flood the gym to ask about how coach wray was let go, as well as the AD and baseball coach? Players wearing "No Wray No Play".  Seems a pretty volatile scene with parents talking if moving their kids elsewhere.  Plenty of this has been front page news at Greene County World.com.  The EG football program has made great strides from all those years if loosing and loosing.  I hope this doesn't send it in a downward spiral.

Ive been following this situation as well. Crazy situation. State Runner up in 2017 to potential player holdout in 2019. They are creating quite the mess for a program that was on the rise. What coach would willingly put themselves in that situation to coach that team with all this going on? 

9 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

Has anyone been following this series of events going down between the new school board and essentially the entire school?

students and parents flood the gym to ask about how coach wray was let go, as well as the AD and baseball coach? Players wearing "No Wray No Play".  Seems a pretty volatile scene with parents talking if moving their kids elsewhere.  Plenty of this has been front page news at Greene County World.com.  The EG football program has made great strides from all those years if loosing and loosing.  I hope this doesn't send it in a downward spiral.

Didn't the parents elect the school board?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me throw out this angle: is there possibly something going on at the school, that none of us experts on this forum know about, that was bad enough that it lead to the axing of the AD and the 2 coaches?

And was this school board elected in to fix that problem?

Before someone crucifies me, all I'm doing is giving you all something to think about from a neutral party. Success in athletics doesn't always paint the picture of what is truly going on behind the scenes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Didn't the parents elect the school board?  

I wondered the same thing. Apparently there are 3 making all the decisions or overriding the others.  There is some serious animosity happening... I posted the same thought on the local paper... How did this chairman

get elected in the first place?

1 hour ago, RedwoodCowTippers said:

Let me throw out this angle: is there possibly something going on at the school, that none of us experts on this forum know about, that was bad enough that it lead to the axing of the AD and the 2 coaches?

Before someone crucifies me, all I'm doing is giving you all something to think about from a neutral party. Success in athletics doesn't always paint the picture of what is truly going on behind the scenes.

I suppose that's to be seen.  It sure does seems that everyone is in the dark on whatever that may be.  There are some issues on how the whole this was handled... sort of backroom politics...  it sure does seem to have caught the school and community by total surprise though.  They had quite the scene at the board meeting where a middle school gym was filled to the rafters.... and the chairman had lawyer present as well.  Allowed 15 minutes total of public response.   I feel to the kids who have worked hard to get Eastern football to respectful level.     Like most schools that start football programs they took a lot of lumps losing their first 22 games, then winning just 2 over 4 years.  We always wondered when it would start clicking because they were getting more and more kids to play, and always had some big boys, and some natural athletes.   Around 2011 they started hitting the .500 mark regularly, then Coach Paridaen came aboard and they jumped from 5-5 in 2014 to a solid three year streak of 8-3, 10-3 and the 14-1 state final run in 2017.  I can't imagine the 6-4 mark in 2018 would have warranted a dismissal.  Coach Wray was a very active part of those great seasons...and sure seemed the logical pick when Paridaen left.   I have no inside connections or any more knowledge than any one else other than by reading the paper. I need to take a trip up Linton way and see what I hear!   But as it was stated--- this board had to be voted in by the public... wonder what they think now!!

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, RedwoodCowTippers said:

I'm not sure but I don't believe the baseball coaching change is connected to the football coach and AD firing.  So far the Eastern board is much better than the Federal Govt in preventing leaks to the media about the reason for their actions.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SoIndRef said:

Speaking to someone close to the area...

It appears to be a coup of the football program by the board.

Seems like a bad situation getting worse.   Eastern  graduates 15 seniors from the 6-4 team, of which a lot of them were key players on their run to the State Final game the year before.  It would seem this fall will be a rebuilding time for the football program having to replace to key players the last 2-3 years.  Pretty much all skill players graduate... I show from the Linton game info... 9 of 11 starts on offense were seniors...10 of 11 defensive starters were seniors.  This is when you need leadership, and by all accounts the players are supporting Coach Wray.   I wonder how this will affect the younger classes.. .getting kids to come out for football...     I saw they hung the banner for their Runner Up season, as well as Sectional and Regional banners at their basketball game a few nights back.  Coach Paridaen was there as well, full beard and all!!

I interviewed for this job last year and I was relieved when I got the call that they had offered it to someone else (Obviously Wray).  I was relieved because I was prepared to turn the job down if it were offered to me.  In the sit down interview alone, the committee mentioned 4-5 times how hard a couple of the board members are to get along with.  Then when we toured the building and facilities, the principal brought it up a few more times.  The problem with small schools going to state is that some of these small town board members don't understand that they made it to state that one year because they had the athletes to carry them.  Those athletes typically don't just regenerate at small schools unless you are allowed to recruit.  It sounds like unless there is a board member turnover, this is a job to avoid at all cost (That plus their weight room was an embarrassment!).  Which is sad for the players and community.  The people on the committee seemed like good people but these board members they talk about will ruin them.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, bittergymteacher said:

I interviewed for this job last year and I was relieved when I got the call that they had offered it to someone else (Obviously Wray).  I was relieved because I was prepared to turn the job down if it were offered to me.  In the sit down interview alone, the committee mentioned 4-5 times how hard a couple of the board members are to get along with.  Then when we toured the building and facilities, the principal brought it up a few more times.  The problem with small schools going to state is that some of these small town board members don't understand that they made it to state that one year because they had the athletes to carry them.  Those athletes typically don't just regenerate at small schools unless you are allowed to recruit.  It sounds like unless there is a board member turnover, this is a job to avoid at all cost (That plus their weight room was an embarrassment!).  Which is sad for the players and community.  The people on the committee seemed like good people but these board members they talk about will ruin them.  

Are the issues with the board due to how schools are organized in Indiana?

On 2/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, Miner_Pride said:

I suppose that's to be seen.  It sure does seems that everyone is in the dark on whatever that may be.  There are some issues on how the whole this was handled... sort of backroom politics...  it sure does seem to have caught the school and community by total surprise though.  They had quite the scene at the board meeting where a middle school gym was filled to the rafters.... and the chairman had lawyer present as well.  Allowed 15 minutes total of public response.   I feel to the kids who have worked hard to get Eastern football to respectful level.     Like most schools that start football programs they took a lot of lumps losing their first 22 games, then winning just 2 over 4 years.  We always wondered when it would start clicking because they were getting more and more kids to play, and always had some big boys, and some natural athletes.   Around 2011 they started hitting the .500 mark regularly, then Coach Paridaen came aboard and they jumped from 5-5 in 2014 to a solid three year streak of 8-3, 10-3 and the 14-1 state final run in 2017.  I can't imagine the 6-4 mark in 2018 would have warranted a dismissal.  Coach Wray was a very active part of those great seasons...and sure seemed the logical pick when Paridaen left.   I have no inside connections or any more knowledge than any one else other than by reading the paper. I need to take a trip up Linton way and see what I hear!   But as it was stated--- this board had to be voted in by the public... wonder what they think now!!

You know just as much as I do...backroom politics...4 against 3 on the board...

On 2/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, kingtut said:

I'm not sure but I don't believe the baseball coaching change is connected to the football coach and AD firing. 

It would appear not. The baseball program hasn't had a whole lot of success on the diamond in recent years.

3 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I was told a name had applied shortly after this all started and was shocked that someone with his experience and recent success would apply. Maybe there is some connection between him and the current board.

Maybe the attraction of AD and football?

On 2/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, RedwoodCowTippers said:

I think it's the other way around. The school board was elected to cause the problem. 😜

Seriously though, I never heard of any problems with the coaches/AD in question until this firestorm erupted.

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

I was told a name had applied shortly after this all started and was shocked that someone with his experience and recent success would apply. Maybe there is some connection between him and the current board.

I have heard the board was actively seeking applicants (football coach) in November. Behind closed doors. The opening wasn't posted.

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

I heard the same thing. Like you I was surprised.