Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

My Suggestion to IHSAA

Practice is great July 1st 

What I would hate to see is all sports all teams do a mad rush and start trying to schedule 7 on 7s, 11 on 11s,  1 day shootouts, insert countless other competition days 

Be happy to work with your kids in house and prepare what you need to do in house during those times.   

For 1 summer, I am sure the schools can get by with elimination of competition days 

Just one guys thoughts

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I think the IHSAA should only allow July to be open to fall sports, the winter sports will get a limited contact period before their seasons start and spring will get 2 limited contact periods.  Don’t force kids and coaches to fight for practice times.

• Like 5

That is my fear as well.  Once July 1st hits, all heck breaks loose with everyone trying to pull every kid in every direction.  Go back to the old days, for this summer, and make it about conditioning and getting back with your team.  NO competition days,  NO padded "football" days..keep July an equal playing field for ALL SCHOOLS as we all work to get our lives back to some normalcy.  That way when the first day of practice starts (safely of course)...WE ALL ARE ON THE SAME PAGE

Edited by Fan90
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fan90 said:

That is my fear as well.  Once July 1st hits, all heck breaks loose with everyone trying to pull every kid in every direction.  Go back to the old days, for this summer, and make it about conditioning and getting back with your team.  NO competition days,  NO padded "football" days..keep July an equal playing field for ALL SCHOOLS as we all work to get our lives back to some normalcy.  That way when the first day of practice starts (safely of course)...WE ALL ARE ON THE SAME PAGE

True competitive balance

Also a nice window of opportunity for programs to self contract.  Use June to evaluate your competitive prospects and if contraction is the best option, publicize that choice by June 20 so schools can reschedule open dates.

Millions of small business and business people will take the contraction route whence they determine that hey do not have the resources to compete on a level playing field.  Athletic teams at public and private high schools should do the same.  There is no shame in contraction.  In many cases, its the right move to make

President Trump was spot on: Covid-19 is the invisible enemy.  The weather can be beautiful, the field is perfectly manicured, the new uniforms are sharp, but the virus is still there.  It doesn’t see gender, race, home team, away team—it just lays in wait.  We all want to get out there, whether it’s to go to the store, play a round of golf, or any other activity.   There’s so much we don’t know.  But is fear paralyzing us?

• Confused 1

Will most of you guys see Football three days a week and Baseball three days a week in July?  I love both sports but that seems like a busy month for kids who play them both, not to mention significant contact with a lot of people.  

How do you expect a kid who plays three sports to choose what to work on in July?  I have one who plays Football, Basketball, and Baseball.  Unless the IHSAA or the school administration steps in, my guess would be that he will be practicing a different sport every night of the week. 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Will most of you guys see Football three days a week and Baseball three days a week in July?  I love both sports but that seems like a busy month for kids who play them both, not to mention significant contact with a lot of people.  

33 minutes ago, Sports Fan said:

How do you expect a kid who plays three sports to choose what to work on in July?  I have one who plays Football, Basketball, and Baseball.  Unless the IHSAA or the school administration steps in, my guess would be that he will be practicing a different sport every night of the week. 

I'm not tuned into the baseball scene...  Does HS baseball practice in summer?  Or are you both talking about travel baseball?

The month of July, in my opinion, will be successful at the schools who implement an integrated approach among the Coaches and Administrators.  Meaning, all the Coaches come together and create a reasonable schedule for the athletes.  WORK TOGETHER on putting a plan in place.  Do not expect each Coach to be able to do what they would consider "normal" activity.  If that happens, I feel student athletes will be overwhelmed and this thing will get shut down before we ever really get started again.  At some schools, this may require Coaches to have to concede to the thought that their program is not any more important than another program....Students are going to get roughly 4-5 weeks..IF WE ARE LUCKY...to start getting back to normal...work together, create a plan that is not overwhelming, do things the right way in getting our kids back to doing the things they want to do..

17 minutes ago, tango said:

I'm not tuned into the baseball scene...  Does HS baseball practice in summer?  Or are you both talking about travel baseball?

I am not talking about travel.  I think many HS programs are going to offer "voluntary" workouts throughout July in an effort to make up for some of the lost reps during the season.  Although there is a lot of talk about "travel" baseball on these GID threads, most HS baseball coaches don't count on reps from "travel" baseball.  I suspect here will be some similar basketball activity.

16 hours ago, Gipper said:

President Trump was spot on: Covid-19 is the invisible enemy.  The weather can be beautiful, the field is perfectly manicured, the new uniforms are sharp, but the virus is still there.  It doesn’t see gender, race, home team, away team—it just lays in wait.  We all want to get out there, whether it’s to go to the store, play a round of golf, or any other activity.   There’s so much we don’t know.  But is fear paralyzing us?

Fear isn't paralyzing us.

Its called being smart and looking out for each other. 

Unless you are Texas, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia where you are thinking more politics then people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 5

to have any success this summer when things open up ,there will have to be a plan and policies in place from the state and the local school administrators......without any, July will look like a scene from "The Lord of the Flies"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

Unless you are Texas, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia where you are thinking more politics then people.

We need to be smart about this.  Although he sounds extreme, Fauci isn’t some quack...

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 2:22 PM, Ultimate Warrior said:

Georgia’s daily Covid #s are down from mid 600s to mid 500s, since opening the state on April 25, 2020. 

Heading to West Palm Beach, Fla. real soon. My family absolutely can’t wait. I’ll send you a postcard. 

If people don’t want to go out, don’t go out, but your fear doesn’t trample my Constitutional rights. We are seeing this throughout the country. 

Gonna be a GREAT summer!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:52 PM, Gipper said:

We need to be smart about this.  Although he sounds extreme, Fauci isn’t some quack...

He does seem to speak out of both sides of his mouth, historically. 

38 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Georgia’s daily Covid #s are down from mid 600s to mid 500s, since opening the state on April 25, 2020. 

Heading to West Palm Beach, Fla. real soon. My family absolutely can’t wait. I’ll send you a postcard. 

If people don’t want to go out, don’t go out, but your fear doesn’t trample my Constitutional rights. We are seeing this throughout the country. 

Gonna be a GREAT summer!

38 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Gonna be a GREAT summer!

This pandemic has many sides and no easy answer.   I’m going to Arizona next month, can’t wait...

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

This pandemic has many sides and no easy answer.   I’m going to Arizona next month, can’t wait...

3936859D-CD6C-497D-A207-3BC04AEC2BAE.jpeg

Edited by Gipper
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Heading to West Palm Beach, Fla. real soon. My family absolutely can’t wait. 

How long will you be away from them?

21 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I’m going to Arizona next month, can’t wait...

I'm moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

How long will you be away from them?

I'm moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

See. That question right there. Hilarious. 

We will all be going. 🙂

On 5/14/2020 at 8:18 PM, DannEllenwood said:

Gonna be a GREAT summer!

I agree with this as long as my Constitutional right to be safe are not jeopardized by your actions. I read about someone bragging about getting by the "mask police" at Menards only to take it off once inside possibly endangering everyone in that store only thinking about himself and HIS rights. I'm sorry, but this guy is a tool !

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I agree with this as long as my Constitutional right to be safe are not jeopardized by your actions. I read about someone bragging about getting by the "mask police" at Menards only to take it off once inside possibly endangering everyone in that store only thinking about himself and HIS rights. I'm sorry, but this guy is a tool !

I’m on record as saying anyone who doesn’t go along with public masking is an inconsiderate jerk. Here’s a post I made on another thread.

Seeing lots of resistance to wearing masks. “A cloth mask is not going to stop a virus particle.” I think public health authorities could do a better job of explaining the justification for universal public masking. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/face-masks-importance-battle-with-covid19

Why Face Masks Are Crucial Now in the Battle Against COVID-19

• As confirmed cases of COVID-19 continue to rise, the CDC is recommending that everyone wear a cloth mask when they go out in public.
  • Experts say the homemade masks won’t protect someone from getting sick, but they can help prevent the spread of the disease by those with the virus.
  • Experts also recommend that everyone continue social distancing and other preventive measures in addition to wearing face coverings.

All data and statistics are based on publicly available data at the time of publication. Some information may be out of date. Visit our coronavirus hub and follow our live updates page for the most recent information on the COVID-19 outbreak.

Public use of face masks has been common in China and other nations in Asia since the beginning of the new coronavirus disease outbreak.

Now, as the United States faces an increasing number of COVID-19confirmed cases and deaths, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has started advisingTrusted Source Americans to wear masks, too.

“We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms,” according to the advisory published by the CDC. “This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity — for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing — even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.”

“In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission,” the advisory stated.

The CDC supported its new position by citing several studies about the asymptomatic spread of the disease, the first of which was published on March 5 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“It is becoming increasingly clear that all people should be wearing masks while out in public. Masks are a likely reason why the virus has been better controlled in China, South Korea, Japan, and other countries,” Dr. Subinoy Das, chief medical officer of Tivic Health and the chief executive officer of the U.S. Institute for Advanced Sinus Care and Research, told Healthline. 

The CDC is recommending, not requiring, mask use when going out in public. The agency stressed that the advisory applies to cloth masks — including homemade masks — not hospital-grade surgical masks and microparticle-filtering N95 masks.

“Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders,” according to the CDC.

When asked about the CDC recommendation, President Donald Trump indicated that he would not comply.

“I just don’t want to wear one myself,” the president told reporters.

Most experts say you should.

“Masks should be worn anytime you are in public or people are nearby. Masks act as a physical barrier to protect you and others from viral and bacterial particulates. Many people unknowingly infect others by going out and spreading germs by coughing or touching others,” Keane Veran, co-founder and chief executive officer of Oura, a maker of face masks, told Healthline. 

“You can go out in public areas without a mask if there is no one nearby. Otherwise, regardless if it’s close quarters or spaced out, you should wear a mask with others around. This is precaution and courtesy to yourself and those nearby you.”

A cloth mask alone is unlikely to prevent you from inhaling microscopic virus particles, according to Rodney Rohde, PhD, chair of the Clinical Laboratory Science Program and associate dean for research at the College of Health Professions at Texas State University.

“The coronavirus will go right through cloth and bandanas… but it will provide a bit of respiratory protection, which can reduce depositing of droplets of the virus on surfaces and to people near you,” Rohde told Healthline.

Dr. Luke Padwick, an emergency physician and founder of Austin Emergency Center in Texas, likens the benefit of wearing a mask to coughing or sneezing into your elbow.

“Wearing a mask is good for two reasons: It’s going to cut down 95 percent of the breathing that sends the virus up to 6 feet away in a room, and also will reduce fecal/oral transmission by preventing the virus from getting into your nose or mouth” if you touch a contaminated surface and then your face,” Padwick told Healthline. “I think this will slow down the virus a lot.”

• Like 2