Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

My Suggestion to IHSAA

10 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I agree with this as long as my Constitutional right to be safe are not jeopardized by your actions. I read about someone bragging about getting by the "mask police" at Menards only to take it off once inside possibly endangering everyone in that store only thinking about himself and HIS rights. I'm sorry, but this guy is a tool !

I’m on record as saying anyone who doesn’t go along with public masking is an inconsiderate jerk. Here’s a post I made on another thread.

Seeing lots of resistance to wearing masks. “A cloth mask is not going to stop a virus particle.” I think public health authorities could do a better job of explaining the justification for universal public masking. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/face-masks-importance-battle-with-covid19

Why Face Masks Are Crucial Now in the Battle Against COVID-19

• As confirmed cases of COVID-19 continue to rise, the CDC is recommending that everyone wear a cloth mask when they go out in public.
  • Experts say the homemade masks won’t protect someone from getting sick, but they can help prevent the spread of the disease by those with the virus.
  • Experts also recommend that everyone continue social distancing and other preventive measures in addition to wearing face coverings.

All data and statistics are based on publicly available data at the time of publication. Some information may be out of date. Visit our coronavirus hub and follow our live updates page for the most recent information on the COVID-19 outbreak.

Public use of face masks has been common in China and other nations in Asia since the beginning of the new coronavirus disease outbreak.

Now, as the United States faces an increasing number of COVID-19confirmed cases and deaths, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has started advisingTrusted Source Americans to wear masks, too.

“We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms,” according to the advisory published by the CDC. “This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity — for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing — even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.”

“In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission,” the advisory stated.

The CDC supported its new position by citing several studies about the asymptomatic spread of the disease, the first of which was published on March 5 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“It is becoming increasingly clear that all people should be wearing masks while out in public. Masks are a likely reason why the virus has been better controlled in China, South Korea, Japan, and other countries,” Dr. Subinoy Das, chief medical officer of Tivic Health and the chief executive officer of the U.S. Institute for Advanced Sinus Care and Research, told Healthline. 

The CDC is recommending, not requiring, mask use when going out in public. The agency stressed that the advisory applies to cloth masks — including homemade masks — not hospital-grade surgical masks and microparticle-filtering N95 masks.

“Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders,” according to the CDC.

When asked about the CDC recommendation, President Donald Trump indicated that he would not comply.

“I just don’t want to wear one myself,” the president told reporters.

Most experts say you should.

“Masks should be worn anytime you are in public or people are nearby. Masks act as a physical barrier to protect you and others from viral and bacterial particulates. Many people unknowingly infect others by going out and spreading germs by coughing or touching others,” Keane Veran, co-founder and chief executive officer of Oura, a maker of face masks, told Healthline. 

“You can go out in public areas without a mask if there is no one nearby. Otherwise, regardless if it’s close quarters or spaced out, you should wear a mask with others around. This is precaution and courtesy to yourself and those nearby you.”

A cloth mask alone is unlikely to prevent you from inhaling microscopic virus particles, according to Rodney Rohde, PhD, chair of the Clinical Laboratory Science Program and associate dean for research at the College of Health Professions at Texas State University.

“The coronavirus will go right through cloth and bandanas… but it will provide a bit of respiratory protection, which can reduce depositing of droplets of the virus on surfaces and to people near you,” Rohde told Healthline.

Dr. Luke Padwick, an emergency physician and founder of Austin Emergency Center in Texas, likens the benefit of wearing a mask to coughing or sneezing into your elbow.

“Wearing a mask is good for two reasons: It’s going to cut down 95 percent of the breathing that sends the virus up to 6 feet away in a room, and also will reduce fecal/oral transmission by preventing the virus from getting into your nose or mouth” if you touch a contaminated surface and then your face,” Padwick told Healthline. “I think this will slow down the virus a lot.”

2 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

I agree with this as long as my Constitutional right to be safe are not jeopardized by your actions. I read about someone bragging about getting by the "mask police" at Menards only to take it off once inside possibly endangering everyone in that store only thinking about himself and HIS rights. I'm sorry, but this guy is a tool !

Agree. The guy you describe is looking for trouble. 

I understand your sentiment. 

Recommending and making it law are 2 totally different things, correct?

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

Recommending and making it law are 2 totally different things, correct? @Bobref

The last thing. I know this is getting into topics more relevant for the OBB.....but how are other viruses spread?  Cold, flu, etc.  Why didn’t we, as a society, wear masks all the time?  

8 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

The last thing. I know this is getting into topics more relevant for the OBB.....but how are other viruses spread?  Cold, flu, etc.  Why didn’t we, as a society, wear masks all the time?  

First of all, we did. Public masking was common in Europe and Asia during their various outbreaks, and even in this country earlier in the 20th Century during severe flu outbreaks. But more importantly, as has been pointed out several times, in several ways, attempting to draw parallels between this virus and any of the influenza strains is both misleading and dangerous.

As far as the difference between a law and a recommendation, that’s why I didn’t refer to those refusing to wear masks as criminals ... although they may be considered such in some places. I referred to them as “inconsiderate jerks,” which is what someone who literally endangers the lives of others in order to avoid a temporary and minor inconvenience is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

First of all, we did. Public masking was common in Europe and Asia during their various outbreaks, and even in this country earlier in the 20th Century during severe flu outbreaks. But more importantly, as has been pointed out several times, in several ways, attempting to draw parallels between this virus and any of the influenza strains is both misleading and dangerous.

As far as the difference between a law and a recommendation, that’s why I didn’t refer to those refusing to wear masks as criminals ... although they may be considered such in some places. I referred to them as “inconsiderate jerks,” which is what someone who literally endangers the lives of others in order to avoid a temporary and minor inconvenience is.

Thank you for your explanation. 
I sure love my freedom, as I am sure your do too. Have a wonderful day all. It’s beautiful out. Enjoy the day. 

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Every time I think of people wearing a mask, I think of this...

D43B9D74-DB58-49F8-9F97-D439ACFAC0CB.jpeg

It's not about keeping the virus from getting in, it's to keep folks from treating the themselves as an aerosol can in spreading it.  From @Bobref's post ...

A cloth mask alone is unlikely to prevent you from inhaling microscopic virus particles, according to Rodney Rohde, PhD, chair of the Clinical Laboratory Science Program and associate dean for research at the College of Health Professions at Texas State University.

“The coronavirus will go right through cloth and bandanas… but it will provide a bit of respiratory protection, which can reduce depositing of droplets of the virus on surfaces and to people near you,” Rohde told Healthline.

Edited by foxbat

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

It's not about keeping the virus from getting in, it's to keep folks from treating the themselves as an aerosol can in spreading it.  From @Bobref's post ...

I understand that. But by ME wearing a mask, how am I building up MY immunity?  That’s why I don’t wear one. I take all precautions necessary besides that. 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I understand that. But by ME wearing a mask, how am I building up MY immunity?  That’s why I don’t wear one. I take all precautions necessary besides that. 

This is where the disconnect is. So, you’re saying it’s OK to “build up your immunity” by increasing the risk to other people? Can’t you see that the only word to describe that attitude is “selfish?” 

And just what makes you think that not wearing a mask is “building up your immunity?” I assume you’re referring to the development of antibodies as the body’s response to infection with SARS-CoV-2?  Check out this excerpt from an article published by the World Health Organization:

WHO has published guidance on adjusting public health and social measures for the next phase of the COVID-19 response. Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate” that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection. There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection. (Emphasis supplied) Here’s the whole article. https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19. The article concludes with “People who assume that they are immune to a second infection because they have received a positive test result may ignore public health advice. The use of such certificates may therefore increase the risks of continued transmission.“ This seems to fit your attitude to a “T.” It’s wrong. It’s inconsiderate. It’s dangerous, both to others and to you.

That article from WHO is dated 4/24/20. I have searched in vain for anything written since then which contains contrary information.

You are a responsible guy. Act responsibly. Put on a mask.

• Like 3
  • Disdain 2

20 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Recommending and making it law are 2 totally different things, correct?

do you really think making it law will make a difference ? Look at all the idiots that consume adult beverages and then get into a vehicle and risk the lives of innocent people driving the roads... laws don't stop them so then how will laws get idiots to wear a mask ?

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This is where the disconnect is. So, you’re saying it’s OK to “build up your immunity” by increasing the risk to other people? Can’t you see that the only word to describe that attitude is “selfish?” 

And just what makes you think that not wearing a mask is “building up your immunity?” I assume you’re referring to the development of antibodies as the body’s response to infection with SARS-CoV-2?  Check out this excerpt from an article published by the World Health Organization:

WHO has published guidance on adjusting public health and social measures for the next phase of the COVID-19 response. Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate” that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection. There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection. (Emphasis supplied) Here’s the whole article. https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19. The article concludes with “People who assume that they are immune to a second infection because they have received a positive test result may ignore public health advice. The use of such certificates may therefore increase the risks of continued transmission.“ This seems to fit your attitude to a “T.” It’s wrong. It’s inconsiderate. It’s dangerous, both to others and to you.

That article from WHO is dated 4/24/20. I have searched in vain for anything written since then which contains contrary information.

Very good Bobref....this needed repeated !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I understand completely Bob.  It is a difficult conundrum for sure. 

How can I help others if I can’t first take care of myself. 

15 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Not an exact match, but wouldn't this be somewhat akin to saying "I don't stop at stop signs because I'm trying to increase my driving skills?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Not an exact match, but wouldn't this be somewhat akin to saying "I don't stop at stop signs because I'm trying to increase my driving skills?"

No. 

Here’s my thought: there’s not a damn thing we can do about the Covid-19 restrictions/lockdown/chess match/what have you.  As an American, I love my freedoms, but also as an American I must respect the laws laid out before me.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Practice is great July 1st 

What I would hate to see is all sports all teams do a mad rush and start trying to schedule 7 on 7s, 11 on 11s,  1 day shootouts, insert countless other competition days 

Be happy to work with your kids in house and prepare what you need to do in house during those times.   

For 1 summer, I am sure the schools can get by with elimination of competition days 

Just one guys thoughts

Coach:

I couldn't agree with you more!

For one summer (or for one month), those in fall athletics should have the opportunity to condition and prep for the coming season.

Yes, be happy to work with your kids again . . . . put in that new offense . . .  get to know that new coach . . .  refine your routes . . . passing skills . . . . blocking skills . . .  hit the weight room . . .  get some cardio in . . .  some plyo work in . . . . work on the jump serve . . . work on digging up those attacks at the net, if you are a volleyball player  . . .  you get the idea.

And yes, for one summer, schools can get by without 7-on-7 or 11-on-11 against another school.

If the winter and spring sports ask for kids time, it does expose them to more of an opportunity to be around additional people.  If WE can't control social distancing, we ALL will be back to QUARANTINE again.  Shut down again, stay home again . . .  these are about number facts. More contact, more dying.

As you mentioned, just one guys thought.

as always, the game is bettter

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gipper said:

U of A (Arizona) plans on its regular opening as does Bradley University. UCLA, however, does not.

I'm thinking the more universities/colleges announce they will open up in Indiana, the high schools will too, setting up some form of HS football. Maybe not full season,, may start a week or two later??