Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

My Suggestion to IHSAA

probably the most frustrating with all this.......is that here are no real plans in place.....just suggestions. we almost will be ending up re-defining what is meant by insanity (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results)  nobody will do the things necessary based upon a suggestion.......can you imagine a teacher handing out homework and saying turn it in if you want.......very few, if any will turn it in!

would feel better with a solid plan/policy in place. I guess have to quit watching WW II movies.........just can't imagine Ike telling the troops at Normandy that Omaha beach is just a suggestion!

just feels like a fire drill in which we got the kids out of the school because we smelled smoke.......the fire department never arrived.......so now that the building is fully engulfed with fire....let's enter back into the building again. no more prepared than when we left

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cw13 said:

I guess have to quit watching WW II movies.........just can't imagine Ike telling the troops at Normandy that Omaha beach is just a suggestion!

Since you brought it up... can you imagine Eisenhower forbidding D-Day until there was a guarantee of 0 deaths? 

Now stepping back from the hyperbole, I agree there is not much of a plan. The biggest problem is that people can’t even agree what constitutes facts. We have 2-3 months domestically and 4-5 months worldwide of data, yet we will not form policy decisions based upon it. 

A 15-24 year old is more likely to die in a car crash, homicide, or from suicide than COVID-19. That is true based on statistical data. But post that and see how many angered responses you get, all using it to justify their opinion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

See you all August 14, 2020.  I will be at 8808 Columbia Ave.

@Bobref guess who I get to “chat” w all night?  You got it. 😀

8 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I’ll be that way sometime. On ole route 2. 

Way north of there, but I’ll have a beer with you in town anytime!

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

I’ll be that way sometime. On ole route 2. 

Way north of there, but I’d venture into the city limits for a beer...

People above 80 account for 10% of our positive cases, but 50% of our deaths.. people under 50 Count for a whooping 3 percent of Indianas deaths.... of the 1716 deaths in Indiana 732 were from nursing homes... 91.3% of our deaths have been 60 and above 75.2% 70 and above... 1 percent of deaths is 40 and below.. everyone stop worrying. If you're not old with severe underlying issues you are not going to drop dead.. my dad is 73 with underlying issues.. he did fine.. I did fine. the most secluded people, that can't go anywhere because they are isolated in a nursing home account for almost half of Indianas' deaths..let that sink in..

7 hours ago, Raven67 said:

People above 80 account for 10% of our positive cases, but 50% of our deaths.. people under 50 Count for a whooping 3 percent of Indianas deaths.... of the 1716 deaths in Indiana 732 were from nursing homes... 91.3% of our deaths have been 60 and above 75.2% 70 and above... 1 percent of deaths is 40 and below.. everyone stop worrying. If you're not old with severe underlying issues you are not going to drop dead.. my dad is 73 with underlying issues.. he did fine.. I did fine. the most secluded people, that can't go anywhere because they are isolated in a nursing home account for almost half of Indianas' deaths..let that sink in..

Interesting stats. What exactly is the point you’re trying to make by citing them?

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Interesting stats. What exactly is the point you’re trying to make by citing them?

I think he is saying social distancing is working and although his father catched it he was one of the lucky ones, thank goodness !                                                          Everyone must keep in mind that stores new policy is No shoes, No shirt , No mask....NO SERVICE !!!

20 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I think he is saying social distancing is working and although his father catched it he was one of the lucky ones, thank goodness !                                                          Everyone must keep in mind that stores new policy is No shoes, No shirt , No mask....NO SERVICE !!!

You are dazed and confused.. why does everyone think that people are dropping like flies from this virus.. they arent...WAKE UP. My dad did social distance, he didn't go anywhere for a month. I didn't even see him... boom infected. Social distancing hasn't worked. If that isn't obvious by now you are living in a cocoon. Georgia isn't flaring up and they have been open almost a month... the virus has and is running its course.. my dad wasn't one of the lucky ones. He was part of the LARGE majority that caught this and did fine with it. Its not the flu, its worse, no doubt. But it is not black death. Media would have you think people are just dropping dead everywhere and they are not. That's the bottom line. If you are "at risk" take precautions, but by all means don't act like this is killing everyone, because it's not. "One of the lucky ones" gimme a break

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Raven67 said:

You are dazed and confused.. why does everyone think that people are dropping like flies from this virus.. they arent...WAKE UP. My dad did social distance, he didn't go anywhere for a month. I didn't even see him... boom infected. Social distancing hasn't worked. If that isn't obvious by now you are living in a cocoon. Georgia isn't flaring up and they have been open almost a month... the virus has and is running its course.. my dad wasn't one of the lucky ones. He was part of the LARGE majority that caught this and did fine with it. Its not the flu, its worse, no doubt. But it is not black death. Media would have you think people are just dropping dead everywhere and they are not. That's the bottom line. If you are "at risk" take precautions, but by all means don't act like this is killing everyone, because it's not. "One of the lucky ones" gimme a break

As far as your father goes, I thought considering his age, he is one of the lucky ones to survive... sorry if that offended you !  As far as the rest of your comments, thanks for clarifying what you think  !

On 5/17/2020 at 9:21 AM, DannEllenwood said:

I understand completely Bob.  It is a difficult conundrum for sure. 

How can I help others if I can’t first take care of myself. 

The good old days are gone.  Things will be different from now on.  I’m not sure to what degree, but I think the wave will become more of a trickle.

14 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

As far as your father goes, I thought considering his age, he is one of the lucky ones to survive... sorry if that offended you !  As far as the rest of your comments, thanks for clarifying what you think  !

But he is not lucky.. he is part of the majority.. thats not lucky, that is as expected.. if you add the antibody tests in covid has been just a a small fraction more deadly by percentage than the flu in 2018..      CDC just said this week that the Infection fatality rate of covid is .27...... so IF you catch it you have a .27% of dying.... and we are flipping out about what? https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/need-better-experts-cdc-admits-coronavirus-mortality-ratio-similar-1957-58-flu-pandemic-no-lockdown-needed/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gipper said:

This just in, sports fans: if the college football season in 86ed, up to $4 billion could be lost.

Not happening. See you college fans in late August. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:24 PM, Raven67 said:

But he is not lucky.. he is part of the majority.. thats not lucky, that is as expected.. if you add the antibody tests in covid has been just a a small fraction more deadly by percentage than the flu in 2018..      CDC just said this week that the Infection fatality rate of covid is .27...... so IF you catch it you have a .27% of dying.... and we are flipping out about what? https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/need-better-experts-cdc-admits-coronavirus-mortality-ratio-similar-1957-58-flu-pandemic-no-lockdown-needed/

The concern is because there is no vaccine so nothing to stop it from spreading to anyone. Let's say only 50% of the people in Indiana are infected (3.35m people), that would result in 9k deaths across the state. As of now there are 1800 reported deaths so would only be 20% of the way there. The flu has an estimated 0.001% mortality, but I believe about half the people get vaccinated. So let's take 50% of the remaining infected (1.7m) and the standard mortality rate (0.1%) and you get 1,675 deaths. That does put the number of deaths in a similar range, but the COVID deaths could be so much higher if we open things up completely.

5 hours ago, JustRules said:

The concern is because there is no vaccine so nothing to stop it from spreading to anyone. Let's say only 50% of the people in Indiana are infected (3.35m people), that would result in 9k deaths across the state. As of now there are 1800 reported deaths so would only be 20% of the way there. The flu has an estimated 0.001% mortality, but I believe about half the people get vaccinated. So let's take 50% of the remaining infected (1.7m) and the standard mortality rate (0.1%) and you get 1,675 deaths. That does put the number of deaths in a similar range, but the COVID deaths could be so much higher if we open things up completely.

You are assuming a vaccine ever comes and also assuming it is effective. Sorry I refuse to put all of my faith and hope in big pharma and the politicians whose pockets are being lined by them.

These measures were extreme at the beginning but now that we know what we are up against, it’s time to open back up fully, without restrictions. We can protect take measures to protect the elderly. Everyone else is at such small risk including high schools student athletes who have basically at no risk of fatality, that these restrictions are extreme and overreaching. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

im confused.... wouldn't you use the 9k figure against the 1,675 figure ?  not the 1,800 reported so fer....

41 minutes ago, cbc34 said:

You are assuming a vaccine ever comes and also assuming it is effective. Sorry I refuse to put all of my faith and hope in big pharma and the politicians whose pockets are being lined by them.

These measures were extreme at the beginning but now that we know what we are up against, it’s time to open back up fully, without restrictions. We can protect take measures to protect the elderly. Everyone else is at such small risk including high schools student athletes who have basically at no risk of fatality, that these restrictions are extreme and overreaching. 

Sounds logical. Makes sense. But, of course, the devil is in the details. Just how is this going to happen? You’re going to essentially cut a sizable segment of the population off from anyone else. You do realize that 1 in 7 Americans is over 65? Add to that the other vulnerable people, like poorly-controlled diabetics, those with auto-immune diseases, the immune-suppressed, those receiving chemotherapy (650,000 every year), and you’re talking well over 15% of the population, i.e., more than 50 million people. I would like to hear someone explain the “protective measures” for these 50 million people that will allow the other 275 million to just go about their business as if nothing had ever happened. Maybe we should just relocate all these people to a single geographic area where we can more easily protect them? You know, like concentration camps, but with internet and cable TV.

I’ve got news for you. Things have changed forever. We’re not “going back” to the way things were.There will be a “new normal,” and it’s going to include at least some of the protections that have been employed in the last 2 months. These various measures fall at different places along the most protective/least restrictive spectrum. The choices that are made in the next 6 months will determine what the “new normal” is.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Sounds logical. Makes sense. But, of course, the devil is in the details. Just how is this going to happen? You’re going to essentially cut a sizable segment of the population off from anyone else. You do realize that 1 in 7 Americans is over 65? Add to that the other vulnerable people, like poorly-controlled diabetics, those with auto-immune diseases, the immune-suppressed, those receiving chemotherapy (650,000 every year), and you’re talking well over 15% of the population, i.e., more than 50 million people. I would like to hear someone explain the “protective measures” for these 50 million people that will allow the other 275 million to just go about their business as if nothing had ever happened. Maybe we should just relocate all these people to a single geographic area where we can more easily protect them? You know, like concentration camps, but with internet and cable TV.

I’ve got news for you. Things have changed forever. We’re not “going back” to the way things were.There will be a “new normal,” and it’s going to include at least some of the protections that have been employed in the last 2 months. These various measures fall at different places along the most protective/least restrictive spectrum. The choices that are made in the next 6 months will determine what the “new normal” is.

I didn’t say isolate a group of people but I’m sure there are less restrictive things we  can do to ensure their safety. We live in an amazing time. You don’t have to go into a grocery store. You can have it delivered. You can pull up and have them loaded. I don’t agree that things have changed forever. People have to be willing to accept some risk. Just like with most things in life. 

So which of these measures will stick around? I am genuinely curious. I have no interest in arguing. People obviously have differing views points on this. Most people entrenched. Arguing only digs people further into their viewpoints. On both ends of the spectrum. But I would guess most people would fall somewhere in the middle. They would be willing to accept a few minor changes for the greater good. But not trading freedom for security.

I am rooting for children in schools this fall and players on the fields/courts. Not for my own selfishness but those I’ve talked with are struggling right now. They need this for their own development. 

21 minutes ago, cbc34 said:

I didn’t say isolate a group of people but I’m sure there are less restrictive things we  can do to ensure their safety. We live in an amazing time. You don’t have to go into a grocery store. You can have it delivered. You can pull up and have them loaded. I don’t agree that things have changed forever. People have to be willing to accept some risk. Just like with most things in life. 

That’s what everyone says: “I’m sure there are ... things we can do.” As I said, the devil is in the details. Protecting the vulnerable, while allowing the less vulnerable to resume normality, is not a plan. It’s a goal. Now it’s time to come up with a plan to achieve that goal. So far, all I’ve heard is a lot of people pounding the table to get back to “normal.” I want to hear how we get there. How we deal with the elderly living in facilities. How we deal with people in high rise building elevators, in doctor’s offices, hospitals, clinics, etc,, in government offices and courthouses, on airplanes, etc. 

We all want to get “back.” What we disagree on is what we need to do going forward.

• Like 2