Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Nowlin

My Suggestion to IHSAA

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Raven67 said:

No winning with you..  typical offical..

😂🤣😅😜

I assure you, I am not a “typical” official ... whatever that is. But that is neither here nor there. It’s hard to interpret your response as anything other than throwing in the towel. 

In the final analysis, though, I think you’re right about at least one thing. There really is no obviously correct answer to many of these questions. The difference between us is that I care about the answers, and you don’t. 

Edited by Bobref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bobref said:

😂🤣😅😜

I assure you, I am not a “typical” official ... whatever that is. But that is neither here nor there. It’s hard to interpret your response as anything other than throwing in the towel. 

In the final analysis, though, I think you’re right about at least one thing. There really is no obviously correct answer to many of these questions. The difference between us is that I care about the answers, and you don’t. 

Although I have never met you, I agree with your assessment that you are not a typical official.  You seem to have a real feel for the game and have a great respect for the traditions in the Region.  Keep up the good work...and Go Pack Go!!!

 

1 minute ago, HanShotFirst said:

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Go on...

 

A3F8B767-AEBF-4F4F-B768-4EE4623F283D.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I umpire for Cal Ripken 9-10s and 11-12s....does that make me an official?  I am an "typical" youth football coach....I know very little about the game and I am a homer to the endth degree.  😊

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bobref said:

😂🤣😅😜

I assure you, I am not a “typical” official ... whatever that is. But that is neither here nor there. It’s hard to interpret your response as anything other than throwing in the towel. 

In the final analysis, though, I think you’re right about at least one thing. There really is no obviously correct answer to many of these questions. The difference between us is that I care about the answers, and you don’t. 

I'm using pure data and hands on analysis to give answers. Has anyone here besides me cared for a covid patient as a first responder? Has anyone else's wife worked on a covid floor at a hospital this whole time? Has anyone here besides me had covid? I'm no expert by any means, even though it looks as it doesn't take much to call yourself an expert these days, but I am good at my job and so is my wife.. throwing in the towel... no. Giving up trying to explain actual statistics to people that don't want to hear about it...yes

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I umpire for Cal Ripken 9-10s and 11-12s....does that make me an official?  I am an "typical" youth football coach....I know very little about the game and I am a homer to the endth degree.  😊

Are you sure you aren’t 3 year letterman?

9 hours ago, Raven67 said:

I'm using pure data and hands on analysis to give answers. Has anyone here besides me cared for a covid patient as a first responder? Has anyone else's wife worked on a covid floor at a hospital this whole time? Has anyone here besides me had covid? I'm no expert by any means, even though it looks as it doesn't take much to call yourself an expert these days, but I am good at my job and so is my wife.. throwing in the towel... no. Giving up trying to explain actual statistics to people that don't want to hear about it...yes

 

Before “they” came up with a “diagnosis” for the covid, I sure as hell had it. Began on 1/17. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Can’t be used in the playoffs.  No electronic noise making devices. 😉 

But it's a hybrid model.  Did you even read the article or view the video?

FTA:

Quote

The company's new smartphone application, Remote Cheerer, is designed to allow sports fans to cheer from home in a way their teams can hear in the stadium. The app itself looks and functions much like a typical soundboard app you might use to summon up a Homer Simpson D'oh!—but instead of just making a noise on your phone, it integrates the cheers of potentially tens of thousands of fans and plays them on loudspeakers at the stadium where their teams are playing.

When fully integrated at the stadium itself, the application does a better job of emulating normal crowd noise than the short description suggests. For Yamaha's field test at Shizuoka Stadium, there were amplified loudspeakers placed in each seating section of the stadium, and fans' cheers were localized to the section where they would sit, had they been able to attend the football match personally. The result is a much more diffuse and authentic-sounding crowd noise.

...

Combine this with a bunch of cardboard cutouts of fans: https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/german-soccer-fans-fill-empty-stadium-with-cardboard-cutouts/

Quote

gladbach-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=12

Combine these two elements,  charge a $5.00 fee to view a live stream of the football game, and voila!  you have the experience the fans want,  the stadium atmosphere the players desire, and an income stream the AD's desperately need.  And the venue saves $ because it doesn't have to stock a concession stand, deal with the the food handling certification hassles imposed by governments, have people come in to clean the stadium after the game, and you save wear and tear on other parts of the campus like the parking lots.

 

Edited by Muda69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

But it's a hybrid model.  Did you even read the article or view the video?

FTA:

Combine this with a bunch of cardboard cutouts of fans: https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/german-soccer-fans-fill-empty-stadium-with-cardboard-cutouts/

Combine these two elements,  charge a $5.00 fee to view a live stream of the football game, and voila!  you have the experience the fans want,  the stadium atmosphere the players desire, and an income stream the AD's desperately need.  And the venue saves $ because it doesn't have to stock a concession stand, deal with the the food handling certification hassles imposed by governments, have people come in to clean the stadium after the game, and you save wear and tear on other parts of the campus like the parking lots.

 

No. Hence the 😉. As in joke. I don’t care 1 way or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 6:47 AM, Muda69 said:

But it's a hybrid model.  Did you even read the article or view the video?

FTA:

Combine this with a bunch of cardboard cutouts of fans: https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/german-soccer-fans-fill-empty-stadium-with-cardboard-cutouts/

Combine these two elements,  charge a $5.00 fee to view a live stream of the football game, and voila!  you have the experience the fans want,  the stadium atmosphere the players desire, and an income stream the AD's desperately need.  And the venue saves $ because it doesn't have to stock a concession stand, deal with the the food handling certification hassles imposed by governments, have people come in to clean the stadium after the game, and you save wear and tear on other parts of the campus like the parking lots.

 

They could also make up the lost revenue from fans attending by selling advertising. Some streams already exist and if they have advertising they could increase it. I'm not sure how many people would pay to watch the stream or if they would pay for multiple feeds on a Friday night. It would be cool if something could be coordinated for a subscription fee to get a variety of feeds. I still think in person will be much better, but it is conceivable they could make up some or most of the revenue with some creativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustRules said:

They could also make up the lost revenue from fans attending by selling advertising. Some streams already exist and if they have advertising they could increase it. I'm not sure how many people would pay to watch the stream or if they would pay for multiple feeds on a Friday night. It would be cool if something could be coordinated for a subscription fee to get a variety of feeds. I still think in person will be much better, but it is conceivable they could make up some or most of the revenue with some creativity.

I’m not disagreeing with you - just posing some hypotheticals I have been considering.

How much of Friday night is about the game and how much is about the social aspect? For as much as I want to think just streaming a game would get the same viewership as allowing a stadium with fans, I don’t know. 

I know plenty of high school students who will go to a rival school’s game just because their friends will be there. Also would parents of band members, cheerleaders, JV players, etc pay to watch a stream if their child won’t be on screen at all? Would you have a lone parent buy the stream and have friends over to tailgate and watch together? I have watched streams of regional, SS, and state games and know fans from around the country also watched. But would that happen for a week 4 game against an 0-3 team?

These are some questions I have wondered - can ads & streaming fees could cover lost revenue? Maybe. I would love to see some numbers to analyze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 6:47 PM, oldtimeqb said:

I’m not disagreeing with you - just posing some hypotheticals I have been considering.

How much of Friday night is about the game and how much is about the social aspect? For as much as I want to think just streaming a game would get the same viewership as allowing a stadium with fans, I don’t know. 

I know plenty of high school students who will go to a rival school’s game just because their friends will be there. Also would parents of band members, cheerleaders, JV players, etc pay to watch a stream if their child won’t be on screen at all? Would you have a lone parent buy the stream and have friends over to tailgate and watch together? I have watched streams of regional, SS, and state games and know fans from around the country also watched. But would that happen for a week 4 game against an 0-3 team?

These are some questions I have wondered - can ads & streaming fees could cover lost revenue? Maybe. I would love to see some numbers to analyze.

I think we are 100% in agreement. I would much rather have games with fans in the stands for all the reasons you mention. Officiating games with fans is much more fun than without fans even if those fans are obnoxious! I worked a Carmel-Cathedral game once where a storm delayed the game at halftime. The first half was packed an exciting. The second half was like working a 7th grade game on Tuesday night. It seemed to affect the players as well.

The financial hit of not playing football this Fall would have a devastating impact on HS sports at the schools. Having to play without fans I think would likely be worse. It's possible some of that could be made up by revenue from selling ads/viewing on streams, but would it be enough?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great news today with some more guidelines set forth from IHSAA to IFCA 

July 6th !!  

Smart progressive approach 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

great news today with some more guidelines set forth from IHSAA to IFCA 

July 6th !!  

Smart progressive approach 

That’s a 1st.

And with the WHO saying asymptotic can’t spread to others...see ya 8/14. 
 

My volleyball schedule is filling up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

great news today with some more guidelines set forth from IHSAA to IFCA 

July 6th !!  

Smart progressive approach 

Do tell!  What's the update?  I'm sure we're all curious!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still another clarification meeting schedule for Thursday, I want to wait to see what comes of that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

That’s a 1st.

And with the WHO saying asymptotic can’t spread to others...see ya 8/14. 
 

My volleyball schedule is filling up. 

Original message was that it's rare, not none. Clarification is they know there is some spread, but it's hard to prove how much since you can't always tell exactly who passed it on. You also don't know at the time if someone will remain asymptomatic or are pre-symptomatic. Dr. Fauci also added someone who is symptomatic is also much more likely to be contagious because they have more active virus cells in them. But he also said it's like asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people have been responsible for some level of spread. They just don't know what percentage.

That being said, I'm hoping we go back to football ASAP! If the plan is to shut down a team/conference/sport if one person tests positive there is no point in starting. There will be some positive cases no matter what. The goal should be to minimize, control, and isolate as much as possible. Good luck to those having to make those decisions though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Original message was that it's rare, not none. Clarification is they know there is some spread, but it's hard to prove how much since you can't always tell exactly who passed it on. You also don't know at the time if someone will remain asymptomatic or are pre-symptomatic. Dr. Fauci also added someone who is symptomatic is also much more likely to be contagious because they have more active virus cells in them. But he also said it's like asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people have been responsible for some level of spread. They just don't know what percentage.

That being said, I'm hoping we go back to football ASAP! If the plan is to shut down a team/conference/sport if one person tests positive there is no point in starting. There will be some positive cases no matter what. The goal should be to minimize, control, and isolate as much as possible. Good luck to those having to make those decisions though.

This will be a herculean task--I pray for all the players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Original message was that it's rare, not none. Clarification is they know there is some spread, but it's hard to prove how much since you can't always tell exactly who passed it on. You also don't know at the time if someone will remain asymptomatic or are pre-symptomatic. Dr. Fauci also added someone who is symptomatic is also much more likely to be contagious because they have more active virus cells in them. But he also said it's like asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people have been responsible for some level of spread. They just don't know what percentage.

That being said, I'm hoping we go back to football ASAP! If the plan is to shut down a team/conference/sport if one person tests positive there is no point in starting. There will be some positive cases no matter what. The goal should be to minimize, control, and isolate as much as possible. Good luck to those having to make those decisions though.

See you all 8/14

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...