Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

'Swift and appropriate discipline' for students who posed with slur, Brownsburg says

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hendricks-county/2020/05/14/brownsburg-schools-discipline-students-who-posed-racial-slur/5189408002/

Brownsburg Comunity Schools said its students who posed in a photo with a racial slur will face "swift and appropriate discipline."

The photo, which was shared to social media, shows three people posing behind a racial slur written in sidewalk chalk on the pavement.

On Thursday morning, Brownsburg Schools confirmed that it is aware of the social media post and that two of the three people in the photo are students in the school district, spokesperson Vicki Murphy said in an email to IndyStar.

In a statement, the district said "This type of behavior is disappointing, insensitive, offensive, not acceptable, and not representative of our community or our students.  We have identified these individuals and are moving forward with swift and appropriate discipline."

Murphy also added that the photo was not taken on school property.

It is unclear if the third person is a student, and if so, where they attend school. 

Then I'm sorry.  What these young students did was despicable, no doubt.  But because it did not happen on government school property the government school in question, Brownsburg, should not have the authority to discipline them like this.  They are acting as the de-facto thought police for the entire Brownsburg community.

If I was a parent of one of these students I would severely punish them then sue the government school district for clearly stepping outside of it's bounds.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

MUDA - WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS CAN WE?  THERE'S A FREAKIN' PANDEMIC - AND PEOPLE ARE GOING OUT TO EAT AGAIN!!!!

Seriously, if it didn't happen within the confines of the school property or during a scholastic sponsored event, the school has nothing to do with this.  Also - what discipline will the school be dishing out?

• Disdain 1