Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

Looks like we’re going to have some form of college football this season, so let’s start the discussion on the Irish here. Just to show you how excited I am (not) for the 2020 team, my starting observation is about the future, not the present. But, the possibility exists that we’ve finally found The Chosen One.

https://247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dame-football-2020-national-championship-147165237/

Barton Simmons outlines Notre Dame's path to national title

ByAUSTIN NIVISON 15 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
Since 2017, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish have been knocking on the door of a national title. So, what can help them take that final step and help them hoist the College Football Playoff National Championship.

On the latest episode of the Cover 3 Podcast, 247Sports’ Barton Simmons discussed the path that the Irish should take as they try to build a national championship team. There has been some recent frustration from Notre Dame fans about how Brian Kelly and his staff have done on the recruiting trail. The 2020 signing class finished No. 17 in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings, but Simmons isn’t sure that prohibits the Irish from winning it all.

As Simmons points out, Clemson wasn’t recruiting at a top-five level before it began its run of dominance. Notre Dame might be able to follow that same blueprint to take the final step toward being a truly elite program that is in the same category as Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. The key is Notre Dame being able to recruit and develop a game-changing quarterback.

“Ultimately, as a recruiting program, the best model that they could track — that they could look at and say that could be us — is Clemson,” Simmons said. “Pretty good model. Even the Clemson model recruited in a range that Notre Dame recruits at now. When they started jumping into the top five was after the run of quarterbacks. It was after basically Deshaun Watson. Notre Dame fans, I think rightly, are very dialed into recruiting. Why can’t we get the talent Alabama and Ohio State are getting? Until we do that, we are never going to win national championships. That’s true, to a degree.

“The bigger thing, for me, is when you get that quarterback that is transcendent, that can elevate the roster you’ve already established into a national championship program. That can elevate the recruiting to follow into top five recruiting, which Brian Kelly has vocalized and said he’s looking for.”Although Simmons doesn’t think that quarterback is already on the Irish’s roster, he may be on his way to South Bend next year. Five-star signal caller Tyler Buchner could be the player Notre Dame has been searching for.

Ian Book is not that guy,” Simmons said. “That’s no shot at Ian Book. He’s a good quarterback, but he’s not the transcendent guy. They’ve got a 2021 quarterback committed named Tyler Buchner. That kid, I think, is the best shot at a transcendent type of quarterback that they’ve had committed … I think this kid has the best shot to be that type of transcendent quarterback. So, that’s the thing to keep an eye on with Notre Dame if you want to take that next step, which obviously they’re ready for.”
Notre Dame’s 2021 recruiting class currently ranks No. 9 in the country, per the 247Sports Team Rankings
  • Like 1

Nailed it....Ian Book is NOT the guy. I agree Bob, not really looking forward to this season with the Irish. They may win games they are supposed to (and possibly lose one of those games), but definitely won't win any as underdogs.  

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

Nailed it....Ian Book is NOT the guy. I agree Bob, not really looking forward to this season with the Irish. They may win games they are supposed to (and possibly lose one of those games), but definitely won't win any as underdogs.  

I think their talent level at the skill positions was set to take a step back. That’s why they will have more grad transfers this season than ever before.

I agree; losing the combination of Claypool and Kmet is a big hit to offensive production. I posted during the season, being at games, you realize how good Claypool made Book look at times. I think Claypool is going to be great in the league. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love everything chase claypool brought to the field as a receiver, blocker, and special teams player. He is gonna be missed for sure. But I can’t wait to see some of these young offensive skill guys.... like Braden Lenzy and that speed he has. Kevin Austin has a lot of talent if he can get on the field and it sounds like he’s done everything in the classroom to get back on the field. With a veteran offensive line they should be good up front and with a senior qb like book it could be a potent offense if the young guys can step up. Anxious to see the freshman skill guys, RB Tyree who’s a blazer, TE Mayer, and WR Johnson. I think Tommy tremble could be a breakout candidate at TE too. But then again I always think this year is the year so take my opinion with a grain of salt haha

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Tommy Rees calling the shots on offense?  

Yeesh...

What’s not to like? I know he’s young but played the position, spent time around Phillip Rivers (who has had a long productive career), and his dad was a head high school coach I believe. Football is in him, so hopefully he’s able to reach and get through to his players to put them in great positions to succeed.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bobref said:

Bring ‘em on!

Well, got home and read Bama’s AD squashed any rumors of that game happening this season. Have to wait until 2028/29 for the home and home regular season series to see the matchup.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Dabo luxury gets a bit tougher with the Domers now in ACC 

hope its LONG TERM  

Didnt somebody on here recently say that ND would NEVER drop the Navy game?

1 hour ago, DT said:

Not sure, but Notre Dame still can and probably will play navy, just not in Ireland or Annapolis (which is kind of a bummer). According to the ACC guidelines, the 1 non conference game has to be played in the ACC schools state so if they play navy it will be in Indiana. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Not sure, but Notre Dame still can and probably will play navy, just not in Ireland or Annapolis (which is kind of a bummer). According to the ACC guidelines, the 1 non conference game has to be played in the ACC schools state so if they play navy it will be in Indiana. 

Playing a full Power 5 conference only schedule makes things much tougher for these players.

These cupcake cnon con games over the years have given the P5 schools a nice in season break to rest up their key players and give young kids a chance to play.  That has changed now with no MAC, CUSA ar AAC  or other games on the schedule.  ND needs this Navy game to give its players a break.

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Playing a full Power 5 conference only schedule makes things much tougher for these players.

These cupcake cnon con games over the years have given the P5 schools a nice in season break to rest up their key players and give young kids a chance to play.  That has changed now with no MAC, CUSA ar AAC  or other games on the schedule.  ND needs this Navy game to give its players a break.

If you think defending the option and getting chop blocked for an entire game is a “break” I would have to disagree. Sure, on paper Notre Dame should win handily but those games can be very tough when you have limited possessions and Navy isn’t just going to roll over.

No weeping for the Irish here.  Im sure they play their seconds and thirds most of the game anyway

If ND had a history of losing players to injury in the Navy game, they would have dropped the series long ago, or told the Middies to cut out the crap.

Edited by DT

3 hours ago, DT said:

That was me. And I stand by it. To be scrupulously accurate, what I said was that Notre Dame would play Navy as long as Navy wanted to play Notre Dame. And until there’s some sort of official announcement, I believe they will find a way to play this season. If you’d like, I’ll explain the back story, as I’ve done before. 

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That was me. And I stand by it. To be scrupulously accurate, what I said was that Notre Dame would play Navy as long as Navy wanted to play Notre Dame. And until there’s some sort of official announcement, I believe they will find a way to play this season. If you’d like, I’ll explain the back story, as I’ve done before. 

I recall your comments and the backstory with crystal clarity Bobref.

When I saw the rumors regarding an Alabama-ND kickoff game, that would push the Middies off the schedule.

Id like to see the Irish play Arkansas.  I am an old SWC fan, and the Loe Holtz connection is kind of cool.  Plus Arkansas needs this game.  Their program is deep in disrepair.  

Could the Irish "convince" Navy that maybe they would rather not play this game given all the COVID Related issues?

Just now, DT said:

I recall your comments and the backstory with crystal clarity Bobref.

When I saw the rumors regarding an Alabama-ND kickoff game, that would push the Middies off the schedule.

Id like to see the Irish play Arkansas.  I am an old SWC fan, and the Loe Holtz connection is kind of cool.  Plus Arkansas needs this game.  Their program is deep in disrepair.  

Could the Irish "convince" Navy that maybe they would rather not play this game given all the COVID Related issues?

I suppose anything is theoretically possible. But I firmly believe that the ND side of that discussion is absolutely committed to playing Navy as long as Navy wants to play. Some things are non-negotiable at Notre Dame. That’s one of them.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I suppose anything is theoretically possible. But I firmly believe that the ND side of that discussion is absolutely committed to playing Navy as long as Navy wants to play. Some things are non-negotiable at Notre Dame. That’s one of them.

If there was ever a year for an exception to the long standing rule, this would be it

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I agree with you there. But I’m hoping it doesn’t happen.

Therer are no JV games on the schedule for the Irish this year like in years past.  A 10 game ACC schedule will require them to be at their best every week, just like every other school in the conference.  Navy gives them a breather, and they will need it

New Mexico

Bowling Green

Ball State

Tulsa

Vanderbilt

Miami OH

Nevada

Army

Navy

UMass

Temple

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Therer are no JV games on the schedule for the Irish this year like in years past.  A 10 game ACC schedule will require them to be at their best every week, just like every other school in the conference.  Navy gives them a breather, and they will need it

New Mexico

Bowling Green

Ball State

Tulsa

Vanderbilt

Miami OH

Nevada

Army

Navy

UMass

Temple

Haha like every other conference school doesn’t have a “break” or JV team on their schedule

11 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Haha like every other conference school doesn’t have a “break” or JV team on their schedule

Are you saying ND is like every other conference school?