Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

23 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

hope its LONG TERM  

That's probably a 50/50 split among fans. My vote is for independence. 

6 hours ago, DT said:

Didnt somebody on here recently say that ND would NEVER drop the Navy game?

I've said that. My guess is that they'd be more likely to drop USC than Navy.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Could the Irish "convince" Navy that maybe they would rather not play this game given all the COVID Related issues?

Nope. I'm not a ND administrator, but I think Navy ranks higher than USC and Stanford. 

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

But I firmly believe that the ND side of that discussion is absolutely committed to playing Navy as long as Navy wants to play. Some things are non-negotiable at Notre Dame. That’s one of them.

Fact.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I agree with you there. But I’m hoping it doesn’t happen.

I really don't think it will. On one hand, I think DT makes a good point. If there is a year, then this is it. But I'd put a friendly 4 to 1 odds that Notre Dame keeps Navy somehow this year. 

12 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's probably a 50/50 split among fans. My vote is for independence. 

I've said that. My guess is that they'd be more likely to drop USC than Navy.

Nope. I'm not a ND administrator, but I think Navy ranks higher than USC and Stanford. 

Fact.

I really don't think it will. On one hand, I think DT makes a good point. If there is a year, then this is it. But I'd put a friendly 4 to 1 odds that Notre Dame keeps Navy somehow this year. 

Notre Dames strategic move to the east and diminished efforts in the midwest and the west coast (no stanford/no usc) put it right into the thick of ACC-SEC recruiting country in the southeast.  That could be brutal given the schools entry requirements.  Look at what happened to Miami when they entered the ACC.   All those Catholic school midwest kids with high GPAs and uber smart and rich west coast kids are at risk with this new strategy.  

Edited by DT

So just saw SEC is playing 10 conference games only. Wonder if this will factor into ACC scheduling an extra non conference game or strictly playing an ACC schedule?

have I missed what the big 10 is doing this year as far as scheduling?

On 8/6/2020 at 1:24 PM, Cappy said:

No Navy this year for the Irish, also the schedule is much easier now. Arguably the best schedule ND has had in over 50 years.  

Even with Clemson on the schedule potentially twice?

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

Lol, when two of those games are potentially against a program that goes by the name of Clemson it does. 

No guarantee that ND will play Clemson twice. Both are capable (ND much more so) of losing a regular season game outside of this matchup. You could also say, ND's schedule will be a lot tougher if the make it to the playoffs and have to play bama or Ohio state. As their schedule sits now, it is considered easier than it would have been. If they play Clemson twice that would change things, if they go to the college football playoffs that again would change things. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, Irishman said:

Not sure what this does to the football season, but my guess is that if classes are virtual, then no athletics?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8-days-semester-notre-dame-halts-person-classes-146-students-n1237195?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

5 players tested positive, and practice yesterday was canceled. 6 more are in quarantine. Not good.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Uh oh!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29946238/notre-dame-wake-forest-football-game-postponed-seven-more-positive-tests

Notre Dame-Wake Forest football game postponed after more positive coronavirus tests

The Notre Dame-Wake Forest football game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed after the Irish announced 13 players are in isolation.

In a statement Tuesday, Notre Dame said seven players tested positive for coronavirus out of 94 tests done Monday. Combined with testing results from last week, 13 players are in isolation, with 10 in quarantine. As a result, Notre Dame has paused all football-related activities. The two schools are working on a date to reschedule the game.

"With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures," Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said in a statement. "We managed an increase in positivity rates in August, and the players handled it wonderfully.

"We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we'll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making. We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field."

Wake Forest athletic director John Currie said in a statement they are working on rescheduling the game for Oct. 3, an open date the two schools share.

"I know everyone involved is saddened to be unable to play this weekend, but based on the circumstances it is the right decision," Currie said in a statement. "We are already discussing options for rescheduling with the ACC and our future opponents, including the possibility of playing on the October 3rd weekend."

Notre Dame beat South Florida 52-0 at home last Saturday and opened the season with a win over Duke.

This is not the first time this season the Irish have had to pause practices. They also paused for three days last month after five positive results during two rounds of testing.

This is now the fourth ACC game impacted because of coronavirus issues.

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Uh oh!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29946238/notre-dame-wake-forest-football-game-postponed-seven-more-positive-tests

Notre Dame-Wake Forest football game postponed after more positive coronavirus tests

The Notre Dame-Wake Forest football game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed after the Irish announced 13 players are in isolation.

In a statement Tuesday, Notre Dame said seven players tested positive for coronavirus out of 94 tests done Monday. Combined with testing results from last week, 13 players are in isolation, with 10 in quarantine. As a result, Notre Dame has paused all football-related activities. The two schools are working on a date to reschedule the game.

"With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures," Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said in a statement. "We managed an increase in positivity rates in August, and the players handled it wonderfully.

"We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we'll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making. We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field."

Wake Forest athletic director John Currie said in a statement they are working on rescheduling the game for Oct. 3, an open date the two schools share.

"I know everyone involved is saddened to be unable to play this weekend, but based on the circumstances it is the right decision," Currie said in a statement. "We are already discussing options for rescheduling with the ACC and our future opponents, including the possibility of playing on the October 3rd weekend."

Notre Dame beat South Florida 52-0 at home last Saturday and opened the season with a win over Duke.

This is not the first time this season the Irish have had to pause practices. They also paused for three days last month after five positive results during two rounds of testing.

This is now the fourth ACC game impacted because of coronavirus issues.

13 players???  Yikes!  Looks like there is no "luck of the Irish" as far as the virus is concerned.  Seriously, it's too bad another game is getting cancelled.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to watch an Irish game from opening kick to the end. Nice to see the tradition of huge ends goes on. I was pleasantly surprised with the play of Ian Book as well. His pocket presence was solid. He was able to look off receivers, and find safety valves. A solid run game makes it nice for him as well. Travis could be a stud for the Noles, but man, he did take some shots. They have to keep him healthy. 
The Irish defense looked solid. You expect a D1 program with the talent that FSU has to put together a couple of drives. Outside of that, great pass rush, especially on a mobile qb. 
All that said, Clemson looks REALLY good. 

Kyren Williams is having a huge breakout season. Chris Tyree has been pretty good as well. Irish running game is as good as it gets. That o-line is massive and the holes they open up are even bigger. Might be the best o-line in college football. Michael Mayer is just a freshman and he's gonna be a star. Could be the next great ND tight end in the NFL. 

I'm excited to see the game against Clemson in a few weeks. ND being at home is a big advantage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Notre Dame is a QB away from having an outstanding team.  They just can't seem to close out the good teams.  Field goals aren't going to beat Clemson.  In fact I wish ND had a QB that was as good for his team as Cathedral.  I'm not comparing McCahill to Book but Book seems to fade late in games.  Too many wild throws and other miscues late.

I'm hoping by some miracle the Irish can close out this game as it's tied at 26 mid 4th quarter.

This Clemson game is extremely frustrating to watch. I do not get the constant chances deep. How many times has Book completed one? Get first downs and keep the chains and clock moving. Also, at the end of the first half, Book was a factor in called run plays. What happened to those? The play that got them the big lead early has disappeared. 

Well, that was fun. I am most encouraged by the fact that Clemson’s 5 star freshman threw for over 400 yds. ... and the Irish still won. I hope that means that - if we take care of business between now and then - we can absorb a big game by Trevor Lawrence in the ACC Championship and still win. Because you know he is going to bring it.

• Like 1

Not a good look to rush the field during a pandemic 

load up on Clemson if they play again and Trevor plays easy money

Actually feel bad for Nd fans any other year they’d make the playoffs now they will get blasted by Clemson in a conference championship game and be sent to a New Years bowl