Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

On 11/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, PHJIrish said:

The Irish had a lackluster first half and a better second half, especially defensively, in their win over North Carolina.  They need to play better overall if they do make it to the CFB playoffs.  Book's back handed flip to freshman TE Mayer was one for the books!

I was really impressed with the defense on Saturday. Say what you want about North Carolina but that offense is really good. They scored on I think their first 2 drives, and then ND loses arguably their best defensive player (Safety Kyle Hamilton for targeting) and the defense gives up 3 points the rest of the way. Offense looked good despite missing 2 starting OL, Book keeps playing well and receivers getting better too. Gonna be a fun rematch with Clemson in a few weeks, hopefully the Irish can get past Syracuse and Wake Forest first.

Anyone who watches the games wonder or know why Kyle Hamilton leaves the field for goal line defense? I noticed that again this week (before the ejection obviously) but also saw in the game vs Clemson he comes off the field. Also, I really hope Vanderbilt doesn't come and take away DC Clark Lea for their head coaching job. I know it's only a matter of time before he takes the next step but I wish the Irish could hang onto him for a few more years....

Lou Holtz receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Coach Lou still an important member of the Notre Dame family.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30443996/lou-holtz-receives-presidential-medal-freedom-president-donald-trump

Lou Holtz receives Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Donald Trump

12:05 PM CT

AP 

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump on Thursday called Lou Holtz "one of the greatest coaches in American history" as he honored the college football Hall of Famer and political ally with the nation's highest civilian honor.

Holtz, whose 34-year coaching career included the 1988 national title at the University of Notre Dame, received the Presidential Medal of Freedom during an Oval Office ceremony. Holtz led six different programs to bowl games and is an outspoken Trump backer.

"He's really a life teacher," said Trump, noting the respect and loyalty Holtz earned from the many players he mentored.

Holtz had a 249-132-7 record over a career that, in addition to Notre Dame, included stops at William & Mary, North Carolina State, the University of Arkansas, the University of Minnesota and the University of South Carolina. He also coached the NFL's New York Jets to a 3-10 record in 1976.

Holtz, 83, said that being honored by Trump made the award particularly meaningful.

"I'm even prouder to receive it from President Donald Trump," said Holtz, who added that Trump was the "greatest president in my lifetime."

A graduate of Kent State, Holtz also served seven years as an officer in the U.S. Army Reserves.

The West Virginia native was among the speakers at this year's Republican National Convention, offering Trump a strong endorsement while attacking the president's Democratic rival, Joe Biden. In his remarks, Holtz called Biden a Catholic "in name only." Biden is a practicing Catholic.

Notre Dame's president, the Rev. John I. Jenkins, later issued a statement admonishing the former coach for using the university's name in his remarks, saying it "must not be taken to imply" that Notre Dame endorses Holtz's views, any candidate or any political party. Jenkins also admonished Holtz for questioning the "sincerity" of Biden's faith.

Trump announced the week after Holtz's convention speech that he would honor the retired coach with the medal.

"Wherever Lou went, football glory followed," Trump said at a ceremony that included about 30 people, most of whom did not wear masks. Holtz disclosed on Nov. 19 that he had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Holtz is one of several sports figures Trump has awarded the Medal of Freedom during his time in office.

Others include former NFL Hall of Famer and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page, Olympic track and field athlete and former Rep. Jim Ryun, golfer Tiger Woods, businessman and motorsports icon Roger Penske, Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach, pro basketball greats Bob Cousy and Jerry West, and baseball legends Babe Ruth and Mariano Rivera.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Lou Holtz receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Coach Lou still an important member of the Notre Dame family.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30443996/lou-holtz-receives-presidential-medal-freedom-president-donald-trump

Lou Holtz receives Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Donald Trump

12:05 PM CT

AP 

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump on Thursday called Lou Holtz "one of the greatest coaches in American history" as he honored the college football Hall of Famer and political ally with the nation's highest civilian honor.

Holtz, whose 34-year coaching career included the 1988 national title at the University of Notre Dame, received the Presidential Medal of Freedom during an Oval Office ceremony. Holtz led six different programs to bowl games and is an outspoken Trump backer.

"He's really a life teacher," said Trump, noting the respect and loyalty Holtz earned from the many players he mentored.

Holtz had a 249-132-7 record over a career that, in addition to Notre Dame, included stops at William & Mary, North Carolina State, the University of Arkansas, the University of Minnesota and the University of South Carolina. He also coached the NFL's New York Jets to a 3-10 record in 1976.

Holtz, 83, said that being honored by Trump made the award particularly meaningful.

"I'm even prouder to receive it from President Donald Trump," said Holtz, who added that Trump was the "greatest president in my lifetime."

A graduate of Kent State, Holtz also served seven years as an officer in the U.S. Army Reserves.

The West Virginia native was among the speakers at this year's Republican National Convention, offering Trump a strong endorsement while attacking the president's Democratic rival, Joe Biden. In his remarks, Holtz called Biden a Catholic "in name only." Biden is a practicing Catholic.

Notre Dame's president, the Rev. John I. Jenkins, later issued a statement admonishing the former coach for using the university's name in his remarks, saying it "must not be taken to imply" that Notre Dame endorses Holtz's views, any candidate or any political party. Jenkins also admonished Holtz for questioning the "sincerity" of Biden's faith.

Trump announced the week after Holtz's convention speech that he would honor the retired coach with the medal.

"Wherever Lou went, football glory followed," Trump said at a ceremony that included about 30 people, most of whom did not wear masks. Holtz disclosed on Nov. 19 that he had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Holtz is one of several sports figures Trump has awarded the Medal of Freedom during his time in office.

Others include former NFL Hall of Famer and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page, Olympic track and field athlete and former Rep. Jim Ryun, golfer Tiger Woods, businessman and motorsports icon Roger Penske, Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach, pro basketball greats Bob Cousy and Jerry West, and baseball legends Babe Ruth and Mariano Rivera.

Damn right!  2 GREAT Americans!

• Kill me now 1

With the Big Ten changing their rules as they go maybe the ACC should cancel their championship to allow both Clemson and ND to make the playoffs!!! Just kidding of course about cancelling that game. But with the Big Ten playing a much shorter season and allowing Ohio State into their title game (and presumably the playoffs) I don't want to hear anymore about ND only playing 12 games and not playing in a conference championship game. I don't believe ND stays in the ACC long term, and I understand this year is unlike any other, but ND's normal schedule is much tougher than this year's ACC slate. 

52 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

With the Big Ten changing their rules as they go maybe the ACC should cancel their championship to allow both Clemson and ND to make the playoffs!!! Just kidding of course about cancelling that game. But with the Big Ten playing a much shorter season and allowing Ohio State into their title game (and presumably the playoffs) I don't want to hear anymore about ND only playing 12 games and not playing in a conference championship game. I don't believe ND stays in the ACC long term, and I understand this year is unlike any other, but ND's normal schedule is much tougher than this year's ACC slate. 

I never thought I'd defend ND, but you are spot on.  Even with a loss to Clemson in the ACC title game, one could make the argument they are more deserving of the playoff bid over OSU (which will never happen).

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I never thought I'd defend ND, but you are spot on.  Even with a loss to Clemson in the ACC title game, one could make the argument they are more deserving of the playoff bid over OSU (which will never happen).

And I never thought I’d take the contrary view. But it’s got nothing to do with “deserving.” The goal is to get the 4 best teams together and let them duke it out. Do you honestly think ND is better than Ohio State? I’m not asking if ND could beat them. Lots of strange things happen on a football field. I’m asking whether you can watch those 2 teams play, and conclude that ND is the better of the two?

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And I never thought I’d take the contrary view. But it’s got nothing to do with “deserving.” The goal is to get the 4 best teams together and let them duke it out. Do you honestly think ND is better than Ohio State? I’m not asking if ND could beat them. Lots of strange things happen on a football field. I’m asking whether you can watch those 2 teams play, and conclude that ND is the better of the two?

Not definitively, no.  But I have had 5 more opportunities to see ND play so their resume is more complete.  They have also beaten Clemson, who is better than anyone Ohio State has played and won AT North Carolina who I believe is on par with Indiana.

You just made a Michigan fan throw up, congratulations.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Not definitively, no.  But I have had 5 more opportunities to see ND play so their resume is more complete.  They have also beaten Clemson, who is better than anyone Ohio State has played and won AT North Carolina who I believe is on par with Indiana.

You just made a Michigan fan throw up, congratulations.

Mission accomplished.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Of course, Michigan fans have probably learned to suppress that gag reflex by now. 🤮

Handing Notre Dame their last loss is the only thing Michigan fans have to hang their hat on right now.

Easy now Bob.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Irish pick up a big time OL recruit from my old stomping grounds, Avon, OH.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-signs-blake-fisher

I guess I should read the whole article. This is the kid from Avon, IN, not Avon, OH. So, there should be a lot of people knowledgeable about him.

• Like 1

If you go back and read the first post in this topic, you’ll see this kid’s name mentioned. A lot of people think he may be The Chosen One to lead us back to a national championship. He’s formally in the fold now. 6,000 yds. of total offense and accounted for 81 TDS as a junior! So, let it begin.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-signs-tyler-buchner

TYLER BUCHNER PROFILE

Hometown: La Mesa, Calif.
High School: Helix

Height: 6-2
Weight: 200

2019 Stats: 4,474 passing yards, 1,610 rushing yards, 53 passing touchdowns, 28 rushing touchdowns

IB Grade: 4.5 (Top 50 caliber player)
Upside Grade: 5.0 

Offers: Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, USC, Michigan, Oregon, Nebraska, TCU, Utah, UCLA, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Yale, Columbia, Penn

Recruited By: Tommy Rees, Chip Long

SI99 Rank: No. 55 overall
ESPN: 4-star - No. 39 overall
247Sports: 4-star - No. 88 overall
Rivals: 4-star - No. 111 overall
Composite: 4-star - No. 65 overall

FILM ANALYSIS

Buchner is an advanced passer that still has plenty of room to improve from both a physical and technical aspect. Buchner does not have a bazooka for an arm, but it still grades out. What makes his arm talent elite is that his arm strength is enhanced by an incredibly quick release.

Not since Jimmy Clausen signed has a Notre Dame quarterback prospect showed the advanced feel for playing the position that Buchner displayed as a junior. His anticipation and timing are excellent, and there is snap after snap on film where Buchner is releasing the ball before his receiver is out of his break. His ability to throw receivers open is on the level you’d expect from a college quarterback, not a high school junior that missed all but one game the previous season.

Buchner is incredibly diverse, which is part of the reason is intangible grade is so high. He can play a clean game from the pocket, he can be a gunslinger that changes his arm angles and throws on the run, and he look like a run-throw quarterback, evidenced by his 1,610 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns on the ground.

The altered throwing motion he displayed during the summer and him not playing as a senior due to California canceling the high school season give me cause for some slight concern, but Buchner has immense physical talent and he’s a high character young man.

NOTRE DAME FIT

First and foremost, Notre Dame wants a quarterback that can go through progressions and beat teams from the pocket. Buchner has the arm strength, release speed, accuracy and intelligence to become that kind of player. 

Buchner has the athleticism and running talent to do damage when plays break down, and he can make plays out of the pocket. He can do all the things that Ian Book did in the last month, but Buchner is bigger, more athletic, more dynamic and has a much better arm than Book possessed at the same age.

He and Phil Jurkovec were the two highest graded quarterbacks to sign with Notre Dame in the last decade. While Jurkovec had better size, was far more productive in high school and had a stronger arm, Buchner has a more concise throwing motion and is a bit more comfortable playing from the pocket.

• Like 1

Excited for the new commits, Blake Fisher and Tyler Buchner just 2 of many good signings for the Irish, who did a good job addressing needs in the defensive secondary, offensive line, and wide receiver position. Testament to the staff as well for maybe only losing 1 commit after the news broke of Clark Lea becoming next head coach of Vanderbilt. Prince Kollie, lb from Nashville, was a huge get and keep that I was worried about possibly decommitting. Who knows that the future holds but like what I see so far from this years class

On 12/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, Bobref said:

Do you honestly think ND is better than Ohio State? 

I don't even think it's a debate. Defense wins championships and Ohio State's leaves a lot to be desired. Notre Dame beats Ohio State this year 8 times out of 10. 

Can someone please fill me in as to why Ohio State continues to be put on a pedestal along with Clemson and Alabama? Clemson (even with their loss this year to the Irish) and Alabama are in a league of their own. I get sick to my stomach every time someone mentions them in the same sentence as the other two. In 2014 they looked mediocre before bringing in their 3rd string quarterback. That's when the Buckeyes hit their stride on their way to impressive victories over Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. But what have they done between 2015 & 2020 other than solidify their spot as the 3rd best program in the country? Absolutely nothing to deserve being mentioned along the same lines as Bama and Clemson. And they better take notice, because the Irish are closing the gap fast for that 3 spot. 

On another note, the Big Ten is making fools out of themselves. First it was canceling the season only to concede later on by allowing their football programs to play. Now it's changing the rules so that the leagues best team (or one of the top two if you want to consider IU's near victory over them in Columbus) can play in the league championship. It's starting to look comical on my end, not sure how everyone else feels. 

Edited by BTF
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Excited for the new commits, Blake Fisher and Tyler Buchner just 2 of many good signings for the Irish, who did a good job addressing needs in the defensive secondary, offensive line, and wide receiver position. Testament to the staff as well for maybe only losing 1 commit after the news broke of Clark Lea becoming next head coach of Vanderbilt. Prince Kollie, lb from Nashville, was a huge get and keep that I was worried about possibly decommitting. Who knows that the future holds but like what I see so far from this years class

Agreed. ESPN ranks their class No. 8, which is pretty much the best we can expect, given our recruiting limitations.

Confident, even though Clemson will be as jacked up for this game as they have for any in the past five years. I'm not saying the Irish are going to lose, but any margin of defeat up to 21 puts them in the playoffs. The debate comes at the mid 20's. Positive 28 could push them out in favor of a one loss or undefeated team. Two loss teams can forget it. 

As far as a prediction goes. It's hard to beat a great team twice. Clemson may want this one a little more than the Irish. Tigers by 7. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Confident, even though Clemson will be as jacked up for this game as they have for any in the past five years. I'm not saying the Irish are going to lose, but any margin of defeat up to 21 puts them in the playoffs. The debate comes at the mid 20's. Positive 28 could push them out in favor of a one loss or undefeated team. Two loss teams can forget it. 

As far as a prediction goes. It's hard to beat a great team twice. Clemson may want this one a little more than the Irish. Tigers by 7. 

Texas A&M will slide in regardless of this weekend's outcome in my opinion.  Are you going to potentially set up a THIRD game between Clemson and ND?  This weekend's game is a quarterfinal contest.