Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

1 minute ago, temptation said:

The Irish have been flat out embarrassed in their previous two trips (2012/2018).

The fact is, there’s been a significant drop off after the top 2 teams for several years now. The Bucks think they’re breaking through to that level now. We’ll see.

26 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The fact is, there’s been a significant drop off after the top 2 teams for several years now. The Bucks think they’re breaking through to that level now. We’ll see.

Eh, OSU winning in 2014 is recent enough for me to put them in that tier...its a drop off after three.  Most in the know seem to agree as they are about to play six games and get “grandfathered” into the playoff.

They were also 1-2 plays away from beating Clemson last year.

(You are making me say WAY too many nice things about those bastards but facts are facts).

We’ve seen A&M/Bama this season and I’d like to see some fresh (non-SEC) blood just as much as the next guy but I just know how these things normally go.

The petitioning for a one loss SEC team will put pressure on the committee this weekend.

Edited by temptation

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

The Irish have been flat out embarrassed in their previous two trips (2012/2018).

2012 was eight years ago, so anyone with a brain would leave that out of the equation. In 2018 Notre Dame lost to Clemson (supposedly the best team of all time) by the same margin of defeat as Alabama. Not really fair to judge ND what they did in 2018 against the "best team of all time." Funny how no one said anything in 2016 when Ohio State was embarrassed by Clemson. They always get a pass, lol. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I have NEVER disagreed, but your opinion and my opinion DOES not matter.  The SEC is and always has been king.

Do I want to see Bama/A&M part two?  Nope.  Will there be pressure for the CFP committee to make it happen on Saturday evening/Sunday morning?  Yep.

I get what you are saying. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

2012 was eight years ago, so anyone with a brain would leave that out of the equation. In 2018 Notre Dame lost to Clemson (supposedly the best team of all time) by the same margin of defeat as Alabama. Not really fair to judge ND what they did in 2018 against the "best team of all time." Funny how no one said anything in 2016 when Ohio State was embarrassed by Clemson. They always get a pass, lol. 

I get what you are saying. 

Ohio State had NO business being IN that game in 2016 but I’ll leave that for another thread.

(I’ll take that loss to my grave.)

To be honest, even though they are a rival of my favorite program, I’d like to see ND get another shot (though the “fans” around my parts would be unbearable).  They do things the right way, their kids go to class/focus on academics and they are rarely/ever involved in a scandal.

I don’t think many “elite” programs can check all three of those boxes.

Edited by temptation

Just now, temptation said:

Ohio State had NO business being IN that game in 2016 but I’ll leave that for another thread.

(I’ll take that loss to my grave.)

To be honest, even though they are a rival of my favorite program, I’d like to see ND get another shot (though the “fans” around my parts would be unbearable).  They do things the right way, their kids go to class and they are rarely/ever involved in a scandal.

I know your not discriminating against them as a "hater" would. I appreciate your opinions, they are always well thought out. I just think this years ND team is a bit different. If they win this Saturday you'll have to subject yourself to the fans in your "parts." If they get wasted, ND fans around the country will want to bury their heads in the sand and endure another year of "getting embarrased", and "not belonging." I'd even be satisfied with a 14 point loss on Saturday. This is a revenge game for Clemson and they'll be as jacked up for this one as any they have played in over the last decade. 

I understand the SEC bias but you can’t tell me (if everything plays out the way we think, Clemson, OSU, Bama win Saturday) that the playoff committee not to mention tv ratings would love to see Alabama vs Notre Dame and Ohio State vs Clemson. Does Texas A&M carry the same weight as OSU or ND? IMO they don’t.
As far as the past, there’s nothing you can do about it except win now. People will always remember the Bama game even tho it was 2012, Miami, Clemson twice, and of course Michigan a few seasons ago. It’s 2020, ND has been building towards this. The depth, the talent, and the coaching is way improved since 2012. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I know your not discriminating against them as a "hater" would. I appreciate your opinions, they are always well thought out. I just think this years ND team is a bit different. If they win this Saturday you'll have to subject yourself to the fans in your "parts." If they get wasted, ND fans around the country will want to bury their heads in the sand and endure another year of "getting embarrased", and "not belonging." I'd even be satisfied with a 14 point loss on Saturday. This is a revenge game for Clemson and they'll be as jacked up for this one as any they have played in over the last decade. 

The “fans” in my parts have usually flipped the page to IU basketball by this point in the year.

Just now, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I understand the SEC bias but you can’t tell me (if everything plays out the way we think, Clemson, OSU, Bama win Saturday) that the playoff committee not to mention tv ratings would love to see Alabama vs Notre Dame and Ohio State vs Clemson. Does Texas A&M carry the same weight as OSU or ND? IMO they don’t.
As far as the past, there’s nothing you can do about it except win now. People will always remember the Bama game even tho it was 2012, Miami, Clemson twice, and of course Michigan a few seasons ago. It’s 2020, ND has been building towards this. The depth, the talent, and the coaching is way improved since 2012. 

Iowa State was great last year, they are great this year. ND 33, ISU 9........................crickets. 

The “fans” in my parts have usually flipped the page to IU basketball by this point in the year.

Lol. You live in Indiana. Notre Dame football, Indiana basketball. 

Opens up an interesting debate:

Whom has embarrassed themselves in their playoff/championship opportunities more:  Notre Dame or the Big 12?

The Big 12.............it's an entire conference. ND is just one team. The Big 12 stinks and are overrated every year. Iowa State at #6 is the joke of the year. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

The Big 12.............it's an entire conference. ND is just one team. The Big 12 stinks and are overrated every year. Iowa State at #6 is the joke of the year. 

Can’t really disagree but let’s pump the brakes on calling ISU “great” in 2019.

They were in the Champs Sports Bowl for a reason.

Cant have it both ways...

16 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I hope you are right, but I just do not see it.

12 minutes ago, DE said:

I hope you are right, but I just do not see it.

Let’s also be real.  A&M is a member of the SEC in name only.  When looking at the “regional make up” of the playoff, the Aggies being west of the Mississippi could also be used as an argument.

Do they carry the name recognition of ND? Hell no.

I too, hope I am wrong.

(Defending ND AND OSU in the same thread?  Yikes.  2020 sure is weird.)

15 minutes ago, DE said:

Going to be real interesting if ND beats Clemson.

To me, there are 4 clear cut CFP teams: Alabama, ND, Clemson and Ohio St. 

After that, do they go with the "hottest" high ranked team out there?  Cincy???

To me, that makes it even easier to pick TAMU.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

To me, that makes it even easier to pick TAMU.

I have read through this thread in about all of it's entirety and I keep forgetting about A&M.

I say F it, let's go with......

12 Coastal Carolina 13 11-0

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Can’t really disagree but let’s pump the brakes on calling ISU “great” in 2019.

They were in the Champs Sports Bowl for a reason.

Cant have it both ways...

There was a lot of talk about how good they were going into the Notre Dame game.

#16 Iowa 18, ISU 17

#7 Baylor 23, ISU 21

#25 Oklahoma St 34, ISU 27

#4 Oklahoma 42, ISU 41

So that's four losses against ranked teams by a combined 11pts.

Notre Dame 33, ISU 9. The Irish beat them by 24. That's twice the number of the other four ranked teams combined. So either Notre Dame was really good last year and probably underrated, or ISU was highly overrated playing in an overrated conference. It's one or the other. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

There was a lot of talk about how good they were going into the Notre Dame game.

#16 Iowa 18, ISU 17

#7 Baylor 23, ISU 21

#25 Oklahoma St 34, ISU 27

#4 Oklahoma 42, ISU 41

So that's four losses against ranked teams by a combined 11pts.

Notre Dame 33, ISU 9. The Irish beat them by 24. That's twice the number of the other four ranked teams combined. So either Notre Dame was really good last year and probably underrated, or ISU was highly overrated playing in an overrated conference. It's one or the other. 

The latter.  

4 hours ago, temptation said:

I would not say they were embarrassed in 2018 like they were in 2012. The 18 game against Clemson was closer than the Clemson Alabama game. Clemson looked MUCH more dominant against Bama than they did against ND. 

On another note, if the Irish beat Clemson, I don’t see a two loss team getting in, especially when the losses are against the same team.....who also happens to be in the playoff. To me the potential of a third game between the two in that scenario bugs me. The idea that Clemson could lose two to ND and win just 1 out of 3 and win it all just does not sit well at all. My guess is that the scenarios around a3rd matchup between the two have been and are being discussed. 

26 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I would not say they were embarrassed in 2018 like they were in 2012. The 18 game against Clemson was closer than the Clemson Alabama game. Clemson looked MUCH more dominant against Bama than they did against ND. 

On another note, if the Irish beat Clemson, I don’t see a two loss team getting in, especially when the losses are against the same team.....who also happens to be in the playoff. To me the potential of a third game between the two in that scenario bugs me. The idea that Clemson could lose two to ND and win just 1 out of 3 and win it all just does not sit well at all. My guess is that the scenarios around a3rd matchup between the two have been and are being discussed. 

Use whatever term you want.

”Non-competitive” then.

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Irish need a Christmas miracle in this one. Offense is non existent. I do not understand wanting to go deep so often. Clemson will not let up, nor should they. This will knock the Irish out of the playoff. 

Irish need to beg Dabo to start taking a knee and punting on third down.

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

Irish need to beg Dabo to start taking a knee and punting on third down.

True..

speaking of which....Dabo has shown tonight the coach I have seen over the years that I dislike. I have never seen him bitch so much about calls, and so many of his coaches on the field after every play yelling at officials about something. And Dabo wanting a targeting call on the blind side hit? As kids say....gtfoh with that. 

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

True..

speaking of which....Dabo has shown tonight the coach I have seen over the years that I dislike. I have never seen him bitch so much about calls, and so many of his coaches on the field after every play yelling at officials about something. And Dabo wanting a targeting call on the blind side hit? As kids say....gtfoh with that. 

Yep, and it works.

ND still needs to hold its head high.  They, along with Northwestern, are prestigious top 10 universities that simply ran into football factories who are posing as universities.

The gap from the top three to everyone else is humongous.

With the early signing day in the rear view mirror, let’s take a look.

Number of 5 stars on the active roster:

Ohio State - 14

Alabama - 12

Clemson - 11

Notre Dame - 2

Stars aren’t everything, but in this case they don’t lie.

• Like 1