Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort Wayne Concordia adding turf.

I see talk on here about Ft Wayne fields and now see 3 private schools and the talk of upgrading their fields.  The question that I am curious of are how many fields are used in Ft Wayne and are they at public schools or private.  Here in Evansville all public schools now have their own field but the 2 private schools do not.

Fort Wayne Community Schools

Snider and Northrop share at Northrop - one of the nicest facilities in Northern Indiana - even better with the new field turf.

Wayne - Wayne is a duplicate of Northrop - same facility (honestly, I've yet to visit a facility.....seating parking, restrooms & concessions that's better) ,  no field turf.

South Side - great facility, no field turf.

North Side - no field turf.

Dwenger and Concordia............both nice facilities...........both field turf now.

Luers - no field turf. 

Southwest Allen County Schools

Homestead - great facility with field turf.

Northwest Allen County Schools

Carroll - in the process of constructing a 7 million dollar stadium - seating capacity 6500 with field turf.

11 hours ago, Panther86 said:

I see talk on here about Ft Wayne fields and now see 3 private schools and the talk of upgrading their fields.  The question that I am curious of are how many fields are used in Ft Wayne and are they at public schools or private.  Here in Evansville all public schools now have their own field but the 2 private schools do not.

I haven't heard if Luers are planning any upgrades, but Concordia caught me off guard. 

When Northrop and Wayne were constructed, the stadiums were meant for two schools to share. Maybe why that is why they pumped so much money into them. If constructed today, I'm guessing it would take 15 million. 

Northrop has shared with Snider since 1971.

When Wayne was constructed, South Side played their home games there until the recent reconstruction of South Side High School which included a new football stadium.

Concordia and Dwenger shared Zoller Stadium across the street from Concordia until Dwenger built their own stadium last year. Zollner was constructed in 1947 for the World Champion Zollner Piston softball team. In 1958 Lutheran Education Properties purchased it for the Concordia Campus. 

Luers and North Side always had their own stadiums and never had to share. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

When Northrop and Wayne were constructed, the stadiums were meant for two schools to share. Maybe why that is why they pumped so much money into them. If constructed today, I'm guessing it would take 15 million. 

Northrop has shared with Snider since 1971.

When Wayne was constructed, South Side played their home games there until the recent reconstruction of South Side High School which included a new football stadium.

Concordia and Dwenger shared Zoller Stadium across the street from Concordia until Dwenger built their own stadium last year. Zollner was constructed in 1947 for the World Champion Zollner Piston softball team. In 1958 Lutheran Education Properties purchased it for the Concordia Campus. 

Luers and North Side always had their own stadiums and never had to share. 

Luersfield didn't open till 1980. For the first 20 some years Luers shared Zollner stadium and Dwenger shared North Side.

21 hours ago, jakone said:

Concordia Lutheran is renovating Zollner stadium including field turf new track new scoreboard and sound system.

Dwenger last year, Concordia this year, Luers you are now on the clock.

Dwenger had their turf for a few years now.. stadium was new last year.

35 minutes ago, jakone said:

Luersfield didn't open till 1980. For the first 20 some years Luers shared Zollner stadium and Dwenger shared North Side.

Good info. Thanks for the correction.

17 hours ago, Panther86 said:

I like the Ev Harrison and Ev North got their own fields, but lack of restrooms and concessions on the visitor sides are ridiculous, IMO. 

I think MD and EM both play sub-varsity games at their campus but then rent Friday nights. I don’t know if they have considered upgrading their facilities for varsity.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I like the Ev Harrison and Ev North got their own fields, but lack of restrooms and concessions on the visitor sides are ridiculous, IMO. 

What's impressive about Northrop and Wayne is that the visiting side is a duplicate of the home side......minus the press box. All Concrete, concessions on the 50, bathrooms on the 30's. Five Thousand seating capacity, although I've seen 10,000 pack the house on a few occasions.

image.jpeg.ad37c6b0ef3ae81273c15f6741a664c1.jpeg

• Like 1

We had this discussion in our coaches office a couple seasons ago. It is crazy to think about how quickly we have gone to playing a couple games on turf to now where we will be playing most games on turf. In our conference, the only schools I have not heard that is adding turf are Bellmont and Hunting North......unless I missed something. We do play at Garrett this year, but this is just a home and home contract. 

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

We had this discussion in our coaches office a couple seasons ago. It is crazy to think about how quickly we have gone to playing a couple games on turf to now where we will be playing most games on turf. In our conference, the only schools I have not heard that is adding turf are Bellmont and Hunting North......unless I missed something. We do play at Garrett this year, but this is just a home and home contract. 

New Haven is turf............correct?

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

New Haven is turf............correct?

Yes, all of EACS is.....Heritage, Leo and Woodlan. Heritage actually rebuilt a lot of their stadium as well. They have new home bleachers and pressbox. I believe they have lockers at the stadium as well now. 
I still contend that with all the activity that Harding still sees, it should have been installed there as well. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Yes, all of EACS is.....Heritage, Leo and Woodlan. Heritage actually rebuilt a lot of their stadium as well. They have new home bleachers and pressbox. I believe they have lockers at the stadium as well now. 
I still contend that with all the activity that Harding still sees, it should have been installed there as well. 

What kind of activity?

On 5/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, oldtimeqb said:

I think MD and EM both play sub-varsity games at their campus but then rent Friday nights. I don’t know if they have considered upgrading their facilities for varsity.

Memorial and Mater Dei do not pay to rent the public school fields. The old superintendent dismantled that so the get to use the fields rent free. 

On 5/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, oldtimeqb said:

Unless I am wrong they dont pay rent.  They used to but that stopped several years ago.  They both have as much room to fit stands as they did at Harrison.  I agree the field itself is good at North and Harrison.  My biggest complaint about Harrison is the way and where they gates are set.  With the poor choice on where to put the tennis courts the parking is horrible.  Its as close to part across the Llyod and use the overpass but when you do there are no gate near that end.

2 hours ago, Panther86 said:

Unless I am wrong they dont pay rent.  They used to but that stopped several years ago.  They both have as much room to fit stands as they did at Harrison.  I agree the field itself is good at North and Harrison.  My biggest complaint about Harrison is the way and where they gates are set.  With the poor choice on where to put the tennis courts the parking is horrible.  Its as close to part across the Llyod and use the overpass but when you do there are no gate near that end.

I doubt either school will ever be in a financial position to put in enough bleachers to be able to host varsity games on their own campuses.  MD has more space, but might have to sacrifice a large chunk of the baseball outfield and some parking lot.  Memorial could not do it without moving the entire field west.  .  If EVSC ever denied use of their facilities to the two schools, then the answer might be for both to join together to build a place.