Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Can’t believe it’s week 7 already. It’s been a crazy few weeks so I haven’t been able to post some of my predictions. So here are my predictions for this week

Warsaw at Wawasee- This is a good Warsaw team going up against a not so good Wawasee team. Even though they are playing for the W trophy I don’t see Wawasee being able to hang with Warsaw. I’ll take Warsaw by 30.

Northirdge at Goshen- This is Goshens senior night and first game at home. I think they will be ready to play. They hung in with Warsaw better than I thought they would. Northridge is coming off a good defensive battle with NorthWood. Could be a trap game for Northridge. I think it will be close for the majority of the game. Just because I think Northridge will come out just a little flat. But I think Northridge will get it done in the end. I’ll take Northridge by 10

Eastside at Concord- I don’t really know anything about Eastside. According to Sargins rankings they are the second ranked team in 2A. I think this game will be whoever has the better athletes. They don’t really get to scout each other with finding out who they are playing late in the week. I’m going to take Eastside by 7.

Mishawaka at NorthWood- This should be a pretty good game. I think Mishawaka is starting to get it rolling after the Concord win. I think NorthWood will come out hungry after the tough loss to Northridge. But Mishawaka is going to keep it rolling. Mishawaka by 4.

Hope everyone has a safe week and weekend and enjoy some Football. 

• Like 1

@Raiderman 2016 thanks for joining and posting!

Here are my Week 7 picks:

Eastside (6-0) @ Concord (3-2): Kudos to both of these teams making it work this week. One thing that has been neat this year is seeing teams that have never and likely would never play against each other get something son the schedule. Should be an interesting ball game in my opinion. The Blazers are a solid program, and are averaging 41 points a game this year on offense, while only giving up 3.5! However... their schedule is FAR from intimidating. Four consecutive shut outs against teams with a combined record of 5-17. However, offensively they are a fairly balanced attack led by their Junior QB Laban Davis. He has just over 1,000 yds passing this year with 13 TDs to 3 INTs and averages about 175 ypg. He is also their leading rusher with 80 carriers for 455 yards and 9 TDs. But again, Eastside has not seen a team as big/talented as the Minutemen... Concord by 4

Mishawaka (2-3) @ NorthWood (2-2): Channel 46 Game of the Week crew will be in Nappanee at Andrews Field tonight. The winner of tonight's game still has a chance to hang in the NLC race, while the loser will most certainly be out of it. The Black Crunch defense gets its first of consecutive weeks looking at "Bart Ball". The Cavemen have turned the corner after two straight victories. NorthWood has not given up more than 15 points all year, while Mishawaka has yet to score below 28 points. Something has to give. Even though people were giving crap to the Cavemen for starting 0-3, take a look at those three teams they lost to and their records. Mishawaka Marian 6-0, Elkhart 5-0, Warsaw 5-1. All loses by an average of less than 6 points! I say the Cavemen keep it rolling... Mishawaka by 12

Northridge (4-1) @ Goshen (1-2): Not much to write about here. The RedHawks made it look closer than it was last week with two late TDs at Warsaw, and I do not see them scoring a point against that strong Northridge defense. The Raiders will get their 5th shutout of the season. I wonder what the state record is for shutouts in a season? At the very least shaping up to be an historic season for the Northridge defensive record books... Northridge by 21

Warsaw (5-1) @ Wawasee (2-4): Two teams going in opposite directions since week 2. Warriors are on a 4 game losing streak, while the Tigers are on a 4 game winning streak. Interesting stat, after the game is played, these will be the only two NLC teams to have played a game all 7 weeks of the season. Fingers crossed for both that they can finish the last two weeks as well. Like NorthWood, this will be Wawasee's first of consecutive weeks seeing "Bart Ball". While the Warriors could score a few TDs this game (and the Tigers need to be wary of all trick plays, etc.), after their defense has given up 28, 39 and 37 points respectively the last three weeks, they will not be able to score enough to beat Warsaw. As long as the Tigers continue to play disciplined football offensively (no turnovers, limited penalties and mistakes), the W Trophy will remain in their position and head back to 1 Tiger Lane... Warsaw by 24

Friday was my first trip ever to Andrews Field to watch Mishawaka vs NW, what a great facility with so much tradition. Mishawaka pulled away in the second half after NW's defense played an outstanding first half. #29 was a beast for NW's defense. 

1 minute ago, Crusty said:

Friday was my first trip ever to Andrews Field to watch Mishawaka vs NW, what a great facility with so much tradition. Mishawaka pulled away in the second half after NW's defense played an outstanding first half. #29 was a beast for NW's defense. 

Been there a number of times over the years. Great place. Great fans. One of my favorites.

Concord at Northridge

46 Game of the Week, Northridge won at Goshen but lost a key player at the end of the game, presumably for the season.  Concord won a nail biter over one of the top 2a schools in the state.  Should be a good one, but going with Northridge by 4

Harrison at Goshen

Goshen replaced Plymouth with Harrison. Don't know anything about them, other than they might be a little jet lagged from the long trip up SR25, still think they win easily, but Goshen is better than recent years, however they haven't played a consistent schedule this year with Covid, Harrison by 14

Warsaw at Northwood

Typically this would have major implications in the NLC race, but not this year. Warsaw is in the driver's seat and wins fairly easily.  Warsaw by 10

Wawasee at Mishawaka

Not much to say here, Mishawaka will have its way with the Warriors.  Mishawaka by 28

8 hours ago, SBFootball1 said:

Any update on how Coach Barron is doing?

His son posted on Twitter today:  Coach Barron "was checked into the ER today with double pneumonia.  He's in good spirits.  Battling an ass-kicking disease, but in good spirits..."

Prayers up to John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Incredibly enough- there are still 5 teams that can finish with 2 losses and be crowned a co-champion- and correct me if I'm wrong- it could finish as a 5-way tie!  I'll let the powers above decide how the role uneven numbers of games played will decide the champion, but we have an old-fashioned Ric Flair Hotel Room Roundabout on our hands!  Of course- if Warsaw beats NorthWood all the women get sent home early and we are left partying with Bart Curtis.  This isn't to say that I would be agaisnt a Bart party, however, I'd rather have a room full of women to choose from than sitting and hearing about the intricacies of the flexbone offense.  

Odds included this week (for entertainment purposes only, of course)

Concord 2-2 @ Northridge 4-1 (-1):  Northridge the favorite here, but not by much.  Extremely similar scores in games vs. like opponents.  Concord stays alive in the conference race if they can win.  I would set the over/under at about 23.5 in a VERY physical game.  Chaos Theory says take the Minutemen. 

Harrison (-17.5) @ Goshen 0-3: Here's what I know about Harrison.  They have yet to go on a winning or losing streak this year as they have alternated wins and losses each week.  This sets them up to be due for a loss!  The Redhawks seem to be playing better since their return- they are the only team not coached by Bart Curtis (maybe his party would be fun) to score a touchdown on the Northridge Raiders.  AND!!!! Harison's nickname is the Raiders!!! Can fate come together for the 'Hawks?  Seems doubtful- but the drive up SR 25/US 31/US 20 can lull the best of us to sleep...Goshen back-door covers late. 

Warsaw 5-0 (-3) @ NorthWood 2-2: NorthWood is seing the flexbone for the second consecutive week.  This should be able to be used as an advantage.  However, NorthWood has yet to prove they can score enough to be able to win this game.  I'm going to subscribe to the chaos theory, though, and with that letting me believe that NorthWood can cover the spread.  Something tells me, though, that NorthWood loses something like 28-24 because they miss four two point conversions. 

Wawasee 0-5 @ Mishawaka 3-1 (-35.5):  This seems like it will be difficult for Wawasee to be competitive.  August 28 vs West Noble was a looooooong time ago.   Wawsee also in a trap game here because they have a game they can win next week.  Mishawaka covers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, Knight82 said:

His son posted on Twitter today:  Coach Barron "was checked into the ER today with double pneumonia.  He's in good spirits.  Battling an ass-kicking disease, but in good spirits..."

Prayers up to John.

Coach Barron was released from the hospital yesterday!

• Like 4

Great news on Coach Barron. Hopeful for a complete and full recovery!

As a side note - my picks were pretty daggone spot on last week. I think the first week it finally happened picking the winners and being close on the margins. Anyway, here are my picks for the penultimate week of the season:

Concord (4-2) @ Northridge (5-1): Channel 46 Game of the Week will be in Middlebury tonight. Should be a great game. Concord got the job done late against a very good Eastside team on short notice, while the Raiders let Goshen hang around more than I thought they would. While the Northridge defense gets a lot of talk (rightfully so), the Minutemen have been fairly stout as well on that side of the ball. I expect this to be a low scoring affair... Northridge by 4

Harrison (4-3) @ Goshen (1-3): Appreciate the Raiders making the long treck up to Goshen from West Lafayette with both teams looking for an opponent this week, but I do no anticipate this being much of a game once the whistle blows. Harrison is averaging 41+ points per game, and have only once scored less than 40 points this season. That spells bad news for the RedHawks. If there is any sliver of hope, Harrison has given up some high point totals this year, but those teams (Westfield, Lafayette Jeff, Roncalli) are all much, much better than Goshen. This one will be ugly by halftime... Harrison by 28

Warsaw (6-1) @ NorthWood (2-3): If last week's game is any indication, "Bart Ball" should rule again in Nappanee tonight. However, I have a strong feeling the Black Crunch defense will have used last week's practice and game against Mishawaka and found what did and did not work. As always, the Tigers have to play fundamentally sound on offense. As long as they continue to do that, they will be just fine. Always a tough task to go to Andrews Field and get a victory though. Warsaw has lost 7 of their last 8 times on the road at NorthWood. However, I expect a different result this week for the Tigers... Warsaw by 11

Wawasee (2-5) @ Mishawaka (3-3): Much like my write up last week for the "W" game, two teams going in completely different directions. The Cavement have been impressive in back to back weeks with wins over Concord and NorthWood, while the Warriors might wish they were in the Northeast Corner Conference instead of the NLC. August seems like ages ago, and Wawasee will have to wait one more week before they have a chance to get back into the win column... Mishawaka by 29

On 10/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Slick John Picanos said:

Concord 2-2 @ Northridge 4-1 (-1)

Harrison (-17.5) @ Goshen 0-3

Warsaw 5-0 (-3) @ NorthWood 2-2

Wawasee 0-5 @ Mishawaka 3-1 (-35.5)

@Slick John Picanos give me Northridge, Harrison, Warsaw and Wawasee 😂

2 hours ago, Raiderman 2016 said:

I’ll start a topic. Will there be a shared NLC title or will one team take it all? 

Will be interesting to see how it's decided if both Warsaw and Mishawaka win on Friday. Warsaw would finish 6-1 in the NLC (including a victory over Mishawaka) while the Cavemen would finish 5-1 due to their lost game against Goshen.

Any news if NorthWood is looking for an opponent this week with Plymouth not playing?

46 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

Am I correct in thinking that for some reason head to head doesn't matter in conference title races?  6-1 is 6-1 even if you won the head to head match up? 

If that is the case, is that the way that is SHOULD be? Lets hear some arguments on either side. 

You are correct that head to head does not matter in conference title races. I was just pointing it out as part of that potential scenario (Warsaw 6-1 and Mishawaka 5-1) it would be interesting to see how it is decided (head to head matchup not included in that decision making process).

If Warsaw and Northridge win, they will be co-champions, even though Warsaw won the head to head matchup.

Is there anyway that concord can knock off warsaw and gain some momentum heading into sectionals? 

The only way Concord wins is if they keep Warsaw under 20. Both Warsaw losses are when they scored 21. So if the Concord D steps up then maybe they can win. 

Will Northridge learn from there mistakes from when they played Warsaw. Can Mishawaka Lee their momentum? 

If the Northridge QB plays like he played last Friday then they will be a hard team to stop. Will that triple option from Mishawaka tear the Northridge D apart? Who knows until Friday night. 

I’ll put my picks in later in the week. Just wanted to start some conversations. This thread used to be one of the best threads on gid. Trying to get this back to that.

It’s going to be one hell of a Friday night. Can’t wait.

First post here... big time NLC fan for a long time. Always have read posts, but never chimed in. 

I don’t understand the co-champ logic. It should be decided off head to head. Beating the team you are “co-champ” with holds more weight than the roundabout way of how they have the same conference record, IMO. 

As for my nomination of “Game of the Week” - Mishawaka vs Northridge will be a slobber knocker. Both teams ground and pound. Easily the two best and meanest offensive lines I’ve watched this year. A lot on the line with a share of NLC to the victor (assuming Concord doesn’t stun Warsaw). Also, shout out to the Panthers for spoiling Warsaw’s chance of outright champion for second year in a row. Last year they did this to Plymouth in the final week.

Northridge will have a great opportunity to play against a tough triple option team this week and bounce right back the following week vs Sectional favorite, Leo. Mishawaka should only help Northridge prepare. In all likelihood, it’ll be Northridge/Leo vs NotrthWood in the second round of sectionals. 

Edited by CTP
  • Like 2