Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Numbers Don't Lie

Read an article in the South Bend Tribune about the possible loss of revenue for all sports if football doesn't happen this fall.

My topic isn't about what might happen to the football season but another topic entirely

In the article, a spokesperson from South Bend said the 4 high school programs generated $62,618 in 18 homes games

Mishawaka generated $71,000 in 4 or 5 games and all playoff games

Penn $66,000 in 4 or 5 games plus playoff games, that wasn't counting the all sports pass revenue.

Found that interesting to say the least.

South Bend school have a referendum coming up June 2.  Dr. Cummings said they will be programs cut...not sure about athletics...but I wouldn't put it past him if football isn't making money.

Edited by LaSalle Lions 1976

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Read an article in the South Bend Tribune about the possible loss of revenue for all sports if football doesn't happen this fall.

My topic isn't about what might happen to the football season but another topic entirely

In the article, a spokesperson from South Bend said the 4 high school programs generated $62,618 in 18 homes games

Mishawaka generated $71,000 in 4 or 5 games and all playoff games

Penn $66,000 in 4 or 5 games plus playoff games, that wasn't counting the all sports pass revenue.

Found that interesting to say the least.

South Bend school have a referendum coming up June 2.  Dr. Cummings said they will be programs cut...not sure about athletics...but I wouldn't put it past him if football isn't making money.

Sounds like the intro to a @DT contraction argument.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

If the referendum doesn't pass...major cuts have to take place.  Programs may be cut, including athletics.

If that happens...there will be a mass exodus out of South Bend.

The Corona Virus will do for the SB school corporation what is was unable to do for itself when it had the opportunity.

Right size.

SB has 100% more classroom capacity than it needs for its current student body.  It has chronically noncompetitive high school teams in multiple programs.  Political infighting  and lack of consensus eliminated the opportunity for compromise and mutually beneficial decision making making.  This is a big stain on Mayor Pete's record.

Hammond got it done, ahead of the virus.  The city is now positioned to promote its "right sized" school district and brand new $150M state of the art west side HHS Campus.

It can be done.  Its now too late for SB unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

If the referendum doesn't pass...major cuts have to take place.  Programs may be cut, including athletics.

If that happens...there will be a mass exodus out of South Bend.

I doubt that.  Where are they going to go?  These are mostly mid to low income people.  They will have to do without a normal athletic and extra curricular menu.  Its their only option.  

13 hours ago, DT said:

I doubt that.  Where are they going to go?  These are mostly mid to low income people.  They will have to do without a normal athletic and extra curricular menu.  Its their only option.  

Don’t be surprised to see several charter schools pop up in South Bend.  They already have Career Academy.  It will be just like Gary in 10-15 years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DT said:

LaVille? 

John Glenn? 

New Prairie? 

23 hours ago, DT said:

Meander up to Michigan, too. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, DT said:

I would bet the majority would go to Mishawaka.  It is on the bus line, don't have to have parents transport.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, DT said:

The Corona Virus will do for the SB school corporation what is was unable to do for itself when it had the opportunity.

Right size.

SB has 100% more classroom capacity than it needs for its current student body.  It has chronically noncompetitive high school teams in multiple programs.  Political infighting  and lack of consensus eliminated the opportunity for compromise and mutually beneficial decision making making.  This is a big stain on Mayor Pete's record.

Hammond got it done, ahead of the virus.  The city is now positioned to promote its "right sized" school district and brand new $150M state of the art west side HHS Campus.

It can be done.  Its now too late for SB unfortunately.

Yes, the Democratic machine at work in SB possibly ???

Edited by psaboy
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 2

18 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Yes, the Democratic machine at work in SB possibly ???

The City and the Schools are separate entities.  I'm not saying that there is something to what you said.

The organizer of the "No" vote is the director of Career Academy, the biggest charter in South Bend.

Dr. Cummings has not really given a plan for the money.  It's 50-50 if it will pass.  The 'No's" are better organized than the "Yes's"

Isnt it in Notre Dames best interest to help insure that its host city remain solvent with a strong economy and education system in place?

We are talking very small dollars here to maintain the annual mediocrity produced by the SB school athletic program.  A real dichotomy exists between  the golden financial reality that permeates  the campus of The University of Notre Dame and the dire financial reality of the city that surrounds the campus.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Isnt it in Notre Dames best interest to help insure that its host city remain solvent with a strong economy and education system in place?

We are talking very small dollars here to maintain the annual mediocrity produced by the SB school athletic program.  A real dichotomy exists between  the golden financial reality that permeates  the campus of The University of Notre Dame and the dire financial reality of the city that surrounds the campus.

A few years back...Notre Dame wanted to place a building at the site of a current elementary school.  They offered to build a new school beside it.  The School Corp turned them down.

Just an example of how our school system works.

4 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The City and the Schools are separate entities.  I'm not saying that there is something to what you said.

The organizer of the "No" vote is the director of Career Academy, the biggest charter in South Bend.

Dr. Cummings has not really given a plan for the money.  It's 50-50 if it will pass.  The 'No's" are better organized than the "Yes's"

Yes, I know the mayor doesn't run the schools, but aren't some/most school boards that make some/have input in decision(s) elected??

On 5/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The main person spearheading the vote no campaign is the director of the Career Academy.  Go figure

Anything to do with Charter schools being able to buy a closed public school for a $1?

Edited by SBFootball1

On 5/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The Superintendent has written into his contract that he gets a $25,000 bonus if he successfully passes a general fund or operating referendum.  So, the first $25k the taxpayers are voting yes for is a bonus for the superintendent.

2 minutes ago, Trapper said:

The Superintendent has written into his contract that he gets a $25,000 bonus if he successfully passes a general fund or operating referendum.  So, the first $25k the taxpayers are voting yes for is a bonus for the superintendent.

Smart. If the referendum passes, he’ll have earned it many times over.