Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Northwest Crossroads Expansion Should Be on the Table

Guest DT

The time is perfect for the NCC to announce its expansion to 8 members with the additions of Hammond Central and Hammond Morton.

Contraction has completed its course in NWI, resulting in the closures of football programs at Clark, Gavit and Bishop Noll.  Noll is still showing a slight pulse as the Warriors are attempting to play a jayvee schedule while numbers rebound.  That wont happen, and Noll will pull the plug permanently sometime in the next school year.

Region schools have played a never ending game of conference switching over the past 50 years.  That may never change, but in the current and now, Hammond and Morton deserve a seat at the table in the NCC.  Highland, Munster and Andrean have all enjoyed healthy competition with the Hammond schools regularly over the past 40 years, and Hobart has developed some nice rivalry ties as well.  Lowell and Morton have had some epic clashes on The Gridiron over the years.  A return to 8 schools raises the NCC profile considerably, improves scheduling flexibility and reduces complexity, and gives the City of Hammond an opportunity to compete in a high profile environment 

This is a no brainer

The New and improved NCC :

Hammond Central

Hammond Morton

Highland

Munster

Lowell

Hobart

Andrean

Kankakee Valley

15 minutes ago, DT said:

The time is perfect for the NCC to announce its expansion to 8 members with the additions of Hammond Central and Hammond Morton.

Contraction has completed its course in NWI, resulting in the closures of football programs at Clark, Gavit and Bishop Noll.  Noll is still showing a slight pulse as the Warriors are attempting to play a jayvee schedule while numbers rebound.  That wont happen, and Noll will pull the plug permanently sometime in the next school year.

Region schools have played a never ending game of conference switching over the past 50 years.  That may never change, but in the current and now, Hammond and Morton deserve a seat at the table in the NCC.  Highland, Munster and Andrean have all enjoyed healthy competition with the Hammond schools regularly over the past 40 years, and Hobart has developed some nice rivalry ties as well.  Lowell and Morton have had some epic clashes on The Gridiron over the years.  A return to 8 schools raises the NCC profile considerably, improves scheduling flexibility and reduces complexity, and gives the City of Hammond an opportunity to compete in a high profile environment 

This is a no brainer

The New and improved NCC :

Hammond Central

Hammond Morton

Highland

Munster

Lowell

Hobart

Andrean

Kankakee Valley

In your discussion topic, you’d be better off adding HC and BG (or Wheeler) instead of the 2 Hammond Schools. 

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

In your discussion topic, you’d be better off adding HC and BG (or Wheeler) instead of the 2 Hammond Schools. 

I strongly disagree Dann

Boone Grove, Wheeler and HC are NOT NCC level athletic schools, at least not yet.

Central and Morton will both be 5A.  The NCC is a perfect spot for them.  

The Region has 3 clear and distinct competitive tiers :

Big - Duneland

Medium - NCC

Small - GSSC

Everybody in The Region can fit into one of these three tiers.  

7 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I am more in favor of HC, BG, and even Wheeler for proximity reasons and natural rivalries.  Put the Hammond schools in the Greater South Shore.   Then again, ti is quite dubious if any of these come to fruition.

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

I am more in favor of HC, BG, and even Wheeler for proximity reasons and natural rivalries.  Put the Hammond schools in the Greater South Shore.   Then again, ti is quite dubious if any of these come to fruition.

Sure.  Just throw the Hammond schools into the ghetto and forget about them.  Typical Redneck rebel style thinking.

Hammond is as REGION as it gets.  The NCC is THE Region Conference.  The two belong together.  You and your bluegill catching Newton County buddies should steer clear of Region business.  You know not of what you speak, despite your daily drivebys.

Furthermore, I moved here a long time ago and my family and I have assimilated very well and have made some very good friends which is more than I can say for you.  I see you as nothing more than a sixty something jerk.

I agree with you. I just don’t think that Lowell and more likely KV will allow it to happen. I think it would be a 4-2 vote and I believe expansion needs to be unanimous per NCC bylaws. We shall see.

4 hours ago, DT said:

I strongly disagree Dann

Boone Grove, Wheeler and HC are NOT NCC level athletic schools, at least not yet.

Central and Morton will both be 5A.  The NCC is a perfect spot for them.  

The Region has 3 clear and distinct competitive tiers :

Big - Duneland

Medium - NCC

Small - GSSC

Everybody in The Region can fit into one of these three tiers.  

That's fine.  It wasn't my opinion.  😉

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

If it were up to the Kougars with a K and RDP nation, Hanover and Rensselaer would be invited in a heartbeat.

Who knows if the NCC will expand anyway.  They didn’t crumble after Griffith booked.

I suspect that a big part of Hammond High and Morton getting in is who they hire for ADs. Doug Friend of Gavit would be the right fit at Morton since they’re getting a majority of Gavit’s kids. I am also guessing they’d have to apply before they are invited since the southern schools would be hesitant.

I don’t think Hanover is quite there yet. Let them grow to the 900-1000 mark first.

0% chance RC wants to leave the Hoosier. They wouldn’t be a fit anyway. Munster, Highland, Andrean and Hobart hate driving to Wheatfield as it is.

6 minutes ago, region said:

I suspect that a big part of Hammond High and Morton getting in is who they hire for ADs. Doug Friend of Gavit would be the right fit at Morton since they’re getting a majority of Gavit’s kids. I am also guessing they’d have to apply before they are invited since the southern schools would be hesitant.

I don’t think Hanover is quite there yet. Let them grow to the 900-1000 mark first.

0% chance RC wants to leave the Hoosier. They wouldn’t be a fit anyway. Munster, Highland, Andrean and Hobart hate driving to Wheatfield as it is.

It is a hike.

@DT, I love this idea. But that’s not the same thing as saying it’s likely to happen. From a competitive standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make much sense economically. Hammond and Morton are unlikely to travel well, and I don’t expect the folks from KV and Lowell to be too excited about those road trips.

Hanover Central is a more likely candidate. Growing population. Good community support. Nice facility. More centrally located. An up and coming football program.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

@DT, I love this idea. But that’s not the same thing as saying it’s likely to happen. From a competitive standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make much sense economically. Hammond and Morton are unlikely to travel well, and I don’t expect the folks from KV and Lowell to be too excited about those road trips.

Hanover Central is a more likely candidate. Growing population. Good community support. Nice facility. More centrally located. An up and coming football program.

But we could take the South Shore Line to Ham—never mind...

• Haha 1

Let’s think about this: the Hammond Juggernauts will be 5A, so does that make them a fit in the NWCC?

That would be a no and a resounding one at that.

One member, Munster is 5A, while Highland, Hobart, the Kougars with a K, and Lowell are 4A, while the catholic school that could, Andrean, is a 2A power.  We’ve been led to believe the new teams in Hammond will be world beaters, so why not the DAC?  Or maybe the NLC, so they can save that fledgling league...

Edited by Gipper

54 minutes ago, region said:

The only thing with the Hoosier it that a lot schools are just as far (Tipton, to name one) is just as far.  The ride on I-65 is one thing, but bumpy SR 28 is another.  There's also the case of Lewis Cass, Hamilton Heights, Northwestern, and Western.

10 minutes ago, Gipper said:

The only thing with the Hoosier it that a lot schools are just as far (Tipton, to name one) is just as far.  The ride on I-65 is one thing, but bumpy SR 28 is another.  There's also the case of Lewis Cass, Hamilton Heights, Northwestern, and Western.

Correct. That gets alleviated a little with football divisions though. Only have to travel super far in the week 9 crossover game.

• Like 1

I don’t think Griffith returning to the NCC is that farfetched. The move to the GSSC was orchestrated by the old superintendent. The only problem is they keep getting smaller. If the current Griffith brass applied to the NCC and brought Hanover with them, they’d get in before Hammond High and Morton.

Griffith plays half the NCC already (Highland, Hobart and Lowell). With Coach Robinson at the helm, I suspect they’ll return to being competitive. Being 4A and playing GSSC competition weeks 5-9 doesn’t get them reading for the sectional. At least it hasn’t 3 years in. 

35 minutes ago, region said:

Correct. That gets alleviated a little with football divisions though. Only have to travel super far in the week 9 crossover game.

Good point.

27 minutes ago, region said:

I don’t think Griffith returning to the NCC is that farfetched. The move to the GSSC was orchestrated by the old superintendent. The only problem is they keep getting smaller. If the current Griffith brass applied to the NCC and brought Hanover with them, they’d get in before Hammond High and Morton.

Griffith plays half the NCC already (Highland, Hobart and Lowell). With Coach Robinson at the helm, I suspect they’ll return to being competitive. Being 4A and playing GSSC competition weeks 5-9 doesn’t get them reading for the sectional. At least it hasn’t 3 years in. 

Another great point.  I think we could fight crime together!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

But we could take the South Shore Line to Ham—never mind...

Yep, no SSRR in South County as there probably never will be.  That puts me on Metra Electric, or at least it did.  Could be piloting the Gippermobile from here on out...

0B6E11DB-0D56-41C6-B336-EEC9A2157894.gif

3 hours ago, region said:

I agree with you. I just don’t think that Lowell and more likely KV will allow it to happen. I think it would be a 4-2 vote and I believe expansion needs to be unanimous per NCC bylaws. We shall see.

If that were the case, the interlopers from Wheatfield should be shown the door and booted from the conference.  KV is lucky to have the NCC.  It is not a Region school.  I would rather have East Chicago join the NCC with Hammond and Morton and show the Kougars with a K the door.  They are nothing more than filler in the conference anyway.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

This is really a question of identity for the NCC.  The conference has a real opportunity to upgrade its competitive profile to 4A/5A status, with an elite Catholic power in the mix.  Very much like the SAC.  Does the NCC really want to step down and become a school of the Boone Groves, Wheelers, Hanover Cenrtals, and for that part, even Griffith?  Griffith made its decision to go small.  The Panthers now can live with it.  As far as KV and Lowell are concerned, Hammond High and Morton are just a bit further up the road than Highland and Munster.  Morton is going to  better, deeper and more talented.  Hammond Central could be a real wildcard.  I see them becoming competitive quickly.  And, both Hammond schools bring great history with them to the conference.  Covid has probably impacted long term travel for most schools anyway.  Streaming is exploding.  High school football might be played in empty stadiums in the future.  Every game will look and sound like a freshman or JV game.  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

If that were the case, the interlopers from Wheatfield should be shown the door and booted from the conference.  KV is lucky to have the NCC.  It is not a Region school.  I would rather have East Chicago join the NCC with Hammond and Morton and show the Kougars with a K the door.  They are nothing more than filler in the conference anyway.

Exactly. Wheatfield is no man’s land and only in the NCC since they don’t fit anywhere else. They wouldn’t ever be booted though.

East Chicago doesn’t have a prayer to get in the NCC or the Duneland for that matter (which is even more of a pipe dream). Way too disfunctional of a school Corp.

3 minutes ago, region said:

Exactly. Wheatfield is no man’s land and only in the NCC since they don’t fit anywhere else. They wouldn’t ever be booted though.

East Chicago doesn’t have a prayer to get in the NCC or the Duneland for that matter (which is even more of a pipe dream). Way too disfunctional of a school Corp.

But they could leave if they felt unwanted and unappreciated.  That can be made to happen

Edited by DT

11 minutes ago, region said:

Think socioeconomically, KV fits nicely...

Edited by Gipper