Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2019 Season

12 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Any idea who is scrimmaging who? I know Warsaw is at Leo tonight.

Also - side note - Warsaw senior kicker Harrison Mevis recently picked up a scholarship offer from Washington State!

Northridge/Northwood were at Rice Field tonight, up against Elkhart Central/Lakeland. 

Both NLC representatives looked good, however Central moved the ball well against Northwood starting D (mainly Brownlee).  Northwood had a couple injuries, hopefully nothing serious. 

Northridge was moving the ball well against Central, however their 10 offensive plays got cut short from lightning, and I called it a night before I could see if they were able to finish the drive or handle Central/Brownlee's offense. 

Both NW/NR handled Lakeland with relative ease. 

I look for Brownlee to be one of the area's best running backs this year, but don't count out Northridges run game.  We have a few returning backs with some serious talent, and added an out of state transfer from South Dakota that was a force on one of SD's top ranked teams. 

20190816_205947.jpg

20190816_194057.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately doesn't seem like there are many posters from the NLC this year. Each year has felt like there have been fewer. Not a lot of in depth analysis behind my picks for this week:

Concord @ SB St Joe : going with the Indians here. This has been a nice week 1 matchup for these programs the last 4 seasons, and I have to give the nod to St Joe at home. Should be a good game.

East Noble @ Plymouth : This should also be a good game. East Noble is always a strong program, but I'll take the Barron boys winning the opener at the Rock Pile.

Elk Memorial @ Elk Central : final battle for the Mangy Lion. I expect Memorial to hang around and be competitive in a handful of games this year, but they've only won this rivalry once in the last seven years. With @NRRaider2001 hyping up Central's offense, I'm picking the Blue Blazers.

Goshen @ Fairfield : I'm starting to sense a theme that will follow all throughout my picks this week. I am not high on the Redhawks whatsoever, and heard some good things about Fairfield's performance against Bremen in their Jamboree. The Lions handled Goshen, while the Falcons version of "Bart Ball" gave Bremen some trouble on defense. Considering what Warsaw did to Goshen last year running the same/similar style, I'll go with a bit of an upset and Fairfield at home. Could be an ugly game.

Huntington North @ Warsaw : The Tigers open up with a new opponent for the first time since 1996. After 22 straight years of the US 30 battle between Warsaw and Columbia city (in which they sported an 18-4 record), I believe over time Huntington North should prove to be a step up in competition for the Tigers in week 1. However, I do not think that year will be this year. Coach Prescott did a great job turning around the Peru program from an 0-10 first season to an 8-3 record in his penultimate season and should be able to do the same thing in Huntington. Expectations are high in Warsaw after last season's introduction of "Bart Ball", and I believe the Tigers win their season opener at home.

Jimtown @ NorthWood : I could be wrong here, but I believe the Jimmies are projected to have a better year than their last two .500 seasons, while NorthWood has a lot to reload for what has been arguably the strongest program in the NLC the last 4 years. However, NorthWood has won 6 straight in this rivalry, including 2 consecutive shutouts of Jimtown. I'll go with the home team again until proven otherwise.

Lakeland @ Wawasee : this one I do not feel quite as confident in, but I don't think either of these teams will be very good this year. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a repeat performance of last year's 21 point victory occurred in favor of the Lakers, but I'll take Wawasee at home to kickoff the Coach Reutebuch tenure.

Northridge @ SB Adams : another toss up honestly. I think this should be a good game, but I'll go with the team that has a D1 commit at QB, which also ends up being the home team.

Best of luck to all NLC teams this week and throughout the season (except those weeks you line up against my Tigers 😉 )

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Unfortunately doesn't seem like there are many posters from the NLC this year. Each year has felt like there have been fewer. Not a lot of in depth analysis behind my picks for this week:

Concord @ SB St Joe : going with the Indians here. This has been a nice week 1 matchup for these programs the last 4 seasons, and I have to give the nod to St Joe at home. Should be a good game.

East Noble @ Plymouth : This should also be a good game. East Noble is always a strong program, but I'll take the Barron boys winning the opener at the Rock Pile.

Elk Memorial @ Elk Central : final battle for the Mangy Lion. I expect Memorial to hang around and be competitive in a handful of games this year, but they've only won this rivalry once in the last seven years. With @NRRaider2001 hyping up Central's offense, I'm picking the Blue Blazers.

Goshen @ Fairfield : I'm starting to sense a theme that will follow all throughout my picks this week. I am not high on the Redhawks whatsoever, and heard some good things about Fairfield's performance against Bremen in their Jamboree. The Lions handled Goshen, while the Falcons version of "Bart Ball" gave Bremen some trouble on defense. Considering what Warsaw did to Goshen last year running the same/similar style, I'll go with a bit of an upset and Fairfield at home. Could be an ugly game.

Huntington North @ Warsaw : The Tigers open up with a new opponent for the first time since 1996. After 22 straight years of the US 30 battle between Warsaw and Columbia city (in which they sported an 18-4 record), I believe over time Huntington North should prove to be a step up in competition for the Tigers in week 1. However, I do not think that year will be this year. Coach Prescott did a great job turning around the Peru program from an 0-10 first season to an 8-3 record in his penultimate season and should be able to do the same thing in Huntington. Expectations are high in Warsaw after last season's introduction of "Bart Ball", and I believe the Tigers win their season opener at home.

Jimtown @ NorthWood : I could be wrong here, but I believe the Jimmies are projected to have a better year than their last two .500 seasons, while NorthWood has a lot to reload for what has been arguably the strongest program in the NLC the last 4 years. However, NorthWood has won 6 straight in this rivalry, including 2 consecutive shutouts of Jimtown. I'll go with the home team again until proven otherwise.

Lakeland @ Wawasee : this one I do not feel quite as confident in, but I don't think either of these teams will be very good this year. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a repeat performance of last year's 21 point victory occurred in favor of the Lakers, but I'll take Wawasee at home to kickoff the Coach Reutebuch tenure.

Northridge @ SB Adams : another toss up honestly. I think this should be a good game, but I'll go with the team that has a D1 commit at QB, which also ends up being the home team.

Best of luck to all NLC teams this week and throughout the season (except those weeks you line up against my Tigers 😉 ) 

@NLCTigerFan07 what is up with the NLC fan's and the forum this year???  Were is everyone??   I have been a long time reader but never posted until this year.

My week 1 looks like this:

Concord- They will be alot better then last year and will beat.  St Joe by 7

East Noble- I dont think Plymouth is as good as people think.  East Noble by 14

Memorial- They could end up in the top 3 of the confrence this year. Best team they have had in years. Memorial by 21

Goshen- I don't see to many wins past this one. Goshen by 14

Warsaw- They wont lose a game in the regular season. Warsaw by 21

NorthWood- Rebuilding year but still can handle Jimtown. NW by 14

Wawasee- If there O line can hang, they have some dept at the skills positions.  Going to be a tight game. Wawasee by 6

SB Adams- Northridge will be tough on the ground but not tough enough to stop Adams.  Adams by 14

Best of luck and stay Healthy boys!!!

21 hours ago, YoungBlood said:

@NLCTigerFan07 what is up with the NLC fan's and the forum this year???  Were is everyone??   I have been a long time reader but never posted until this year.

Warsaw- They wont lose a game in the regular season. Warsaw by 21

I think a lot of it is due to having to resign up for the forum with that changes that occurred. I believe it has kept a number of posters away. Also EXTREMELY bold prediction by you on my Tigers this year. I don't see them winning week 2 against Michigan City (legit 5A state champion contender) and could just as easily go 3-4 in NLC play this year as they could go 7-0. An often understated part of last season was how great their defense was. I saw a stat that they were like a top 30 team in Defensive PPG among ALL classes last year, and I think they were top 10 at the end of the season in 6A. They held teams to 14 points or fewer in 7 of their 10 games last season and replace a ton of their defensive front 7.

2 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Which NLC teams have endzone cameras? I have been seeing more of them in recent years. Is this an important tool for coaches?

I know Warsaw has one and as a former coach at the collegiate level, it is an awesome tool for coaches. More specifically for the coaches in the front 7 on both sides of the ball. These endzone cameras do not focus on the entire field. The have a "tight" view that basically looks at Tight End to Tight End. It's great for oline/dline coaches for obvious reasons, as well as running back and linebackers.

It's finally here, football Friday night!

Concord @ SB St Joe :  last year for the foreseeable future for this non conference week 1 battle, in what should be another good one.  I think Concord should be decent, but Driscoll is a beast for St. Joe along with several other returning including Coach Kelly's boy at LB.

East Noble @ Plymouth :  Another good one between two strong programs, however I feel EN is on the upswing and Plymouth isn't the Plymouth of old. 

Elk Memorial @ Elk Central : a year ago I never would've guessed it would be toss up like I believe tonight will be.  Wish they could've played this a week earlier so I could be at the last Mangy game with my Memorial family.  I am a strong believer in Brownlee and Centrals run game however. 

Goshen @ Fairfield :  I'm glad to hear Fairfield has better numbers this year.  Goshen is not the Goshen of old, and while I like Coach Park, I fear they're facing an uphill battle. At the middle school jamboree earlier in the week, Goshen was barely able to field a team, and I felt bad for their kids that did come out, it was ugly.  They're begging kids that are cut from the soccer team to give football a try. 

Huntington North @ Warsaw : The first of many wins for Warsaw this year and my favorite by a lot to win the NLC this year.  Really like what the Curtis's are doing down there.  Seems like the kids are really buying in!  Warsaw big tonight before probably their toughest game of the regular season next week. 

Jimtown @ NorthWood :  No more Bronson Yoder, but they're always packed with good talent (although they're unable to field a freshman team this year).  Jimtown had excitement for their new turf, but weren't able to field an 8th grade team this year due to small numbers.   Always play each other tough, but NW wins this fairly easily. 

Lakeland @ Wawasee :  Toss up, but I'll go with the NLC in this one.  Not sure what Wawasee has this year as I believe their best player from last year (punter) graduated.  I wasn't all that impressed at the jamboree last week with Lakeland, granted most teams don't show too much during scrimmages.

Northridge @ Adams :  I could see this going either way, but I think a lot of people are sleeping on the Raiders this year (I'm okay with that).  If we can slow down the deep ball some, and control the clock with our ground game, I like our chances at school field tonight.  Interested to see our defense as we're running a 3-4 vs 4-3 now, and Coach Wogomon took over as DC since Coach Logan retired after last season.  We added a few out of state transfers this off season that should help us as well. 

Impressive wins by Concord, Northridge and Wawasee in my opinion last night.

Expected wins by Warsaw and NorthWood. Both teams will face their most difficult opponent (outside of their week 8 matchup) next week with the Panthers hosting Chatard and the Tigers making the trip to Ames field against Michigan City.

Goshen's win might be their only victory of the season, but I wouldn't be mad if they proved me otherwise. I don't see them standing a chance next week against Elkhart Central.

Memorial will still be a tough out all year in my opinion. I do not know why I'm so optimistic on them, but wouldn't be surprised if they beat Concord next week.

Plymouth... Far from a bad loss, but definitely a great game that they could have won. When was the last time a Rockie QB threw for over 300 yards?

• Like 1

Plymouth lost due to clock management by the coaches.  The claims in the local paper that they were “going for the win.”  But ran the ball with under 10 seconds to go without a timeout inside the ten is a misstatement.  The sideline was chaos during that time.  To blame the defense when a chance was there to win the game is wrong.  

The coaches and their experience should’ve understood that first and goal with two timeouts means you can’t run three times if you are trying to win then they haven’t learned anything.  I feel for the kids and the fact that the coach blames the defense but doesn’t take the blame himself is arrogance.

Hopefully the players can overcome the lack of leadership and win some games.

Week 2 will tell us a lot about every team this year.  It's hard to know after one week who is up and who is down.  Interesting NLC match-ups this week will be Warsaw vs. Michigan City, Ridge and St. Joe, and Northwood with Chatard....awesome non-conference strength of schedule for the NLC this week.

• Like 1

As a man with "slick" in his name, I'm going to attempt to set some handicaps for this week's games, along with some comments. 

Memorial @ Concord (-3.5):  Probably the closest this game has been on paper in years.  Home field helps the Minutemen.  

Warsaw @ Michigan City (-13.5): Not sure Warsaw is quite "there" yet.  If this game was in October, I would be able to expect more from the Warsaw offense.    

Wawasee @ West Noble (-3):  The pride of US 33 is dubbed the "City of Murals" according to wikipedia.  I guess that's enough to be favored against Wawasee.   

Elkhart Central (-42.5) @ Goshen: Foreman field will be a ghost town by mid-2nd quarter- Goshen Brewing is open until 11, I believe....

Kokomo @ Plymouth (-8.5): Taking Plymouth due to home field- and I think East Noble is supposed to be good also. 

Chatard (-20.5) @ NorthWood: Work hard, play hard, Chatard.  Will the long bus ride north give the Panthers a chance?  What will NorthWood's 51st anniversary uniforms look like?

St. Joe @ Northridge (PK): NLC season will be able to be predicted much more clearly after this.  

1 hour ago, Slick John Picanos said:

As a man with "slick" in his name, I'm going to attempt to set some handicaps for this week's games, along with some comments. 

Memorial @ Concord (-3.5):  Probably the closest this game has been on paper in years.  Home field helps the Minutemen.  

Warsaw @ Michigan City (-13.5): Not sure Warsaw is quite "there" yet.  If this game was in October, I would be able to expect more from the Warsaw offense.    

Wawasee @ West Noble (-3):  The pride of US 33 is dubbed the "City of Murals" according to wikipedia.  I guess that's enough to be favored against Wawasee.   

Elkhart Central (-42.5) @ Goshen: Foreman field will be a ghost town by mid-2nd quarter- Goshen Brewing is open until 11, I believe....

Kokomo @ Plymouth (-8.5): Taking Plymouth due to home field- and I think East Noble is supposed to be good also. 

Chatard (-20.5) @ NorthWood: Work hard, play hard, Chatard.  Will the long bus ride north give the Panthers a chance?  What will NorthWood's 51st anniversary uniforms look like?

St. Joe @ Northridge (PK): NLC season will be able to be predicted much more clearly after this.  

"Slick John, Well done!!

My picks with week:

Memorial will let everyone know this week how good or how over hyped they are.  Memorial by 7

Warsaw after a big win last week will hand it to Michigan City!!  Warsaw by 21

Wawasee will go to West Noble and and knock off the 12 ranked team in 3a to start he year 2-0!!  Wawasee by 7

Elkhart Central will put a hurting on Goshen.  The question is how many yards and TD with Brownlee score before he is taking out of this game???  Central by 42

Kokomo comes to the Rock pile and to give Plymouth a 0-2 start to the season.  Kokomo by 7

These is  BIG game in the State this week,  Nate Andrews wanted this game but I cant see NorthWood even making it a close game.  Chatard by 21

Northridge will be in a dog fight tonight but St Joe will come out with the win.  St joe by 7

Unfortunately cannot make a huge post with my reasonings but here are my picks this week:

Concord over Memorial in a close game
Michigan City over Warsaw by 13-17 points
Wawasee over West Noble in a close game
Elkhart Central over Goshen by 35+ points
Plymouth over Kokomo by 10 points
NorthWood over Chatard by 2 points
St. Joe over Northridge by 3 points

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Unfortunately cannot make a huge post with my reasonings but here are my picks this week:

Concord over Memorial in a close game
Michigan City over Warsaw by 13-17 points
Wawasee over West Noble in a close game
Elkhart Central over Goshen by 35+ points
Plymouth over Kokomo by 10 points
NorthWood over Chatard by 2 points
St. Joe over Northridge by 3 points

nlctigerfan07 your not giving your team the credit it deserves.  The Tiger's will not lose a regular season game this year.

Went 6-2 in my picks last week which is better than I expected for week 1.

This week, doubt I do as well. 

Chatard over NW by double digits - I don't think Jimtown is a great measuring stick compared to what they'll face tonight. 

Plymouth over Kokomo by double digits - don't know much about Kokomo this year, but I do know the trip up 31 all too well, as I made it about 15 hours ago. Hard not to get a little jet lagged. 

Central over Goshen by as many as they want - like I mentioned early on, I believe Brownlee is one of the best in our area, and Goshen isn't the Goshen of old. They possibly picked up their only W of the year last week, and even then it was a close one. 

West Noble over Wawasee in a tight one - don't know much about either team this year yet, but Lakeland looked down in our Jamboree. 

Warsaw over MC by 3 - this is the one I struggled with the most, should be a great game.  I miss opening the season with MC, although Adam's gave us a run for our money with Armstead chucking the ball deep and accurately all night.  I think Warsaw makes Regional this year, and this game will only make them more prepared. 

Northridge over St Joe by 10 - St Joe is a great program, but I heard a little trash talk/motivation coming from them this week that makes me believe we will be motivated.  Northridge had better clean up the turnovers this week because if we fumble twice early like last week St Joe will be a lot tougher to fight 2 scores back than Adams was.  Also should be interesting to see if Driscoll gets the ball a bunch, we didn't have an answer for him last year, but our team just feels different this year. 

On 8/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, Fairfield02 said:

Week 2 will tell us a lot about every team this year.  It's hard to know after one week who is up and who is down.  Interesting NLC match-ups this week will be Warsaw vs. Michigan City, Ridge and St. Joe, and Northwood with Chatard....awesome non-conference strength of schedule for the NLC this week.

Congrats on the W tonight!  Glad to see you guys pull it out in a close one. 

Warsaw's kicker Harrison Mevis was amazing tonight.  Booted FG's from 46 and the game winner from 51 and put all his kickoffs 5 yards out of the back of the EZ every time.  Definitly a D1 caliber talent.  Great game for both teams.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 11:00 PM, Tommy said:

Warsaw's kicker Harrison Mevis was amazing tonight.  Booted FG's from 46 and the game winner from 51 and put all his kickoffs 5 yards out of the back of the EZ every time.  Definitly a D1 caliber talent.  Great game for both teams.

Congrats on a great win to @NLCTigerFan07  and your Tigers,  MC is definitely a great program.   Warsaw is Sag. ranked above Penn now for the first time I can recall, and 1st in their sectional. 

54 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Congrats on a great win to @NLCTigerFan07  and your Tigers,  MC is definitely a great program.   Warsaw is Sag. ranked above Penn now for the first time I can recall, and 1st in their sectional. 

Warsaw is going to have a great year in the NLC.  Bart Curtis has really turned things around for the Tigers.