Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jeff QB Transfers to Valpo

5A state runner-up Valparaiso just solidified their role as the favorite in the Duneland, and to come out of the North on Thanksgiving weekend, with the transfer of 2 yr. starter Maximus Grimes from Lafayette Jeff ... where he threw 66 TDS vs. 9 interceptions over the last two seasons.

https://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/update-former-lafayette-jefferson-star-quarterback-maximus-grimes-transfers-to-valparaiso/article_c9a29116-bd5e-5405-b1c1-56765a9b2737.html

UPDATE: Former Lafayette Jefferson star quarterback Maximus Grimes transfers to Valparaiso

James Boyd

May 28, 2020 Updated 48 min ago

Valparaiso is in search of a new starting quarterback for the first time in two years, and the Vikings just received a big reinforcement.

Former Lafayette Jefferson star Maximus Grimes has transferred to Valparaiso for the final season of his prep career.

He confirmed the news Thursday and explained that the move was family related. Grimes' father got married last summer on July 4, and his stepmother — who lives in Valparaiso — gave birth to identical twin girls a few months ago. To make things easier logistically, Grimes and his dad will join the rest of their family in the Region.

"Those have been my guys since I was young," Grimes said of leaving his former teammates in Lafayette. "But at the same time, I'm excited for a new experience."

Vikings coach Bill Marshall corroborated the transfer and added that Grimes is eligible to compete. The IHSAA plans to resume school sponsored athletic activities on July 1.

"He is in fact enrolled at Valparaiso High School and has had his athletic transfer cleared by the IHSAA," Marshall wrote in a text message to The Times.

After a runner-up finish in the Class 5A state final last season and losing two-year starting quarterback CJ Opperman to graduation, Grimes should receive heavy consideration as the Vikings' new leader under center. During his junior campaign in the fall, Grimes commanded one of the most high-powered offenses in the state.

The Bronchos averaged 52 points per game and scored over 60 points on three occasions. Grimes led the way through the air with 235.8 passing yards per game, 19 touchdowns and two interceptions. He also rushed for 139 yards and three scores.

As a sophomore in 2018, Grimes was even more potent. He averaged 314 passing yards per game and threw a program-record 49 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Grimes picked up 174 yards and two more scores on the ground.

Beyond his gaudy stats, he believes his intangibles are what will allow him to have a successful senior season at Valparaiso.

"I think that I can bring passion and competitiveness just by being somebody who loves to play the game," said Grimes, who stands 6 foot 2 and weighs 200 pounds. "Whether it's in practice, a scrimmage or the state championship game, I want to win."

According to 247Sports, Grimes is a pro-style quarterback with interest from Indiana, Miami (Ohio) and Purdue. He announced via Twitter on May 15 that he received a scholarship offer from Valparaiso University.

Last year, Grimes led Lafayette Jefferson to a 9-1 record. The Bronchos were undefeated heading into the playoffs but had their season ended in a 27-20 loss to Merrillville in a Class 6A sectional semifinal on Nov. 1.

Grimes played against the Pirates with a torn right ACL, which he initially ruptured against Anderson on Sept. 27. He still completed nine passes for 75 yards in the first half. But on a Hail Mary attempt in the closing seconds of the second quarter, Grimes' right knee finally gave out.

He did not return to the contest and underwent surgery a few days before Thanksgiving. Grimes said his right knee is about "90-95%" healthy, and he expects to be at full strength for the Vikings' season opener against Penn on Aug. 21.

In the meantime, Grimes has remained in contact with Marshall and recently met up with his new receivers for a couple of throwing sessions.

"Obviously, everybody wants to win a state championship. That's the only thing that matters," Grimes said. "Anything less than that would be a loss in my book."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

He announced via Twitter on May 15 that he received a scholarship offer from Valparaiso University.

Just a random aside here - I did not think Valparaiso and other schools in the Pioneer Football Leauge offered athletic scholarships? I'm assuming you obviously still have to get offered a spot on the team, but the scholarship is probably academic/grant monies right? Never fully understood how that worked for those schools.

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Former Lafayette Jefferson star Maximus Grimes has transferred to Valparaiso for the final season of his prep career.

He confirmed the news Thursday and explained that the move was family related. Grimes' father got married last summer on July 4, and his stepmother — who lives in Valparaiso — gave birth to identical twin girls a few months ago. To make things easier logistically, Grimes and his dad will join the rest of their family in the Region.

"Those have been my guys since I was young," Grimes said of leaving his former teammates in Lafayette. "But at the same time, I'm excited for a new experience."

He played for Battleground when he was young.  The kids he played with then played for Harrison.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Just a random aside here - I did not think Valparaiso and other schools in the Pioneer Football Leauge offered athletic scholarships? I'm assuming you obviously still have to get offered a spot on the team, but the scholarship is probably academic/grant monies right? Never fully understood how that worked for those schools.

I coached a player a few years back that had an "offer" from Valpo. From what he told me, what you said is correct. Granted, something could have changed in the last few years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I just hope Jeff has someone who can take over.

I don't want to name names, but they do! While obviously Grimes is a loss, the young man that will take his place is not that far of a drop-off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I chuckle myself when I see students referring to ‘getting any offer’ from Butler, Valpo, or any D3 school in the state.

They are non-athletic scholarship programs, but can get academic awards and need-based aid like all students at those schools. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Dwenger should be better.

Valpo controlled Dwenger last year and just got a game changing QB...

That’s enough for me.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, DT said:

That qb killed valpo in the championship game last year.   Was hard to watch

I thought that if he had played even halfway decent against Dwenger, it would have been a 3 TD game.

5 hours ago, DT said:

Quite common for HIGH SCHOOL players to have an off night. 

Think New Pal had a lot to say about WINNING the game. Hey. But you do you. 

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

I thought that if he had played even halfway decent against Dwenger, it would have been a 3 TD game.

GREAT thing about football is, it’s the ULTIMATE team game. Very common for HIGH SCHOOL players to have an off night. 

4 hours ago, DT said:

Great size.  Strong arm.  No touch

Would take him to lead my team at QB. Especially being a multi sport athlete. 

16 hours ago, DT said:

Dwenger has a new OC and DC.  We'll see how they turn out.   Dwenger followers often say that the HC puts the stronger players on defense rather than offense.  They say the wrong running back was playing.  I don't know, I just pick my nose.