Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference

41 minutes ago, Sports Fan said:

East Division predictions and West Division predictions.

What are your thoughts?

West Lafayette is poised to repeat in the West and I doubt there's anything that would hint otherwise until someone makes it different on the field or unless a sinkhole opens up under the school on the first day of classes.  They are just too loaded and focused.  LCC should have a good season and should be a contender again in 1A North at least through regionals, but West Lafayette just has the numbers and momentum right now.  In the East, based on last year, I'd say Cass, but I wouldn't count out Western.  I had heard, and @Sports Fan maybe you can clarify or give some details, that Cass may have lost a substantial level of talent to graduation this year.  If so, that might give Western an inside track.

Tipton is supposed to have a real good team coming back, played a lot of young guys. 

Western will be in the mix.   

Cass was decimated by graduation, though having Coach Mannering and HOF Mannering on sidelines will help a young team for sure. 

Do not know much about HH, I think they had a lot of skill position injuries.  

WL will be breaking a new QB this year after a run of real good ones, I am sure Coach Fry will have his new guy ready to run the show.   

LCC will be playing with a lot of confidence, new DC, 3rd year of Nay, definitely has his stamp on the program already.   

I like our guys, our #1 RB in 2019 was gone for the year with a odd non contact ACL Wednesday night before KV week 1, he was just a sophomore, I know he is hungry to be on the field in 2020 that is for sure.   Our QB got some nice work last year replacing Hickman weeks 7-8-9 leading the team to wins over NW, BC and TIpton.   He will be a JR and has nice frame.   Return All State OL Korniak, at LT, and host of other players as well.  1000 yard RB/WB comes back,.  a lot to like, looking forward to working with them July 1st.  

TL:  New coach, Coach Saylers coming over from Carroll, known Shotgun attack while there, I am sure he will craft his offense to fit his players skills, TL has nice young class coming up.  

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Tipton is supposed to have a real good team coming back, played a lot of young guys. 

Cass was decimated by graduation, though having Coach Mannering and HOF Mannering on sidelines will help a young team for sure. 

WL will be breaking a new QB this year after a run of real good ones, I am sure Coach Fry will have his new guy ready to run the show.   

LCC will be playing with a lot of confidence, new DC, 3rd year of Nay, definitely has his stamp on the program already.   

I like our guys, our #1 RB in 2019 was gone for the year with a odd non contact ACL Wednesday night before KV week 1, he was just a sophomore, I know he is hungry to be on the field in 2020 that is for sure.   Our QB got some nice work last year replacing Hickman weeks 7-8-9 leading the team to wins over NW, BC and TIpton.   He will be a JR and has nice frame.   Return All State OL Korniak, at LT, and host of other players as well.  1000 yard RB/WB comes back,.  a lot to like, looking forward to working with them July 1st.  

TL:  New coach, Coach Saylers coming over from Carroll, known Shotgun attack while there, I am sure he will craft his offense to fit his players skills, TL has nice young class coming up.  

Im excited to see how Lewis Cass does. 

I play close attention to them due to Kyle and Tyson Johnson are over there and now Craig Barr will be on staff.

Saw in the paper they might be moving Tyson Johnson to QB... Which I get. Hes a leader, a hard worker, pretty athletic kid who knows what he can and can't do. They did lose quite a bit but Clayton is gonna be a good one...his dad and Craig have 3 rings combined, with 300+ wins between the two, plus some other guys who had been at Cass for years. Itll be exciting to see how Cass does being very green. I knew they were good when I asked Tyson if he was gonna be playing a lot of O and he responded "no, we are loaded at skilled positions, ill be mainly on D).. Tyson would have been a stud at WR here (30-48 receptions 600 to 700 yards..leader had 45 and 500+).talk about weapons galore over there when that talented of a kid is an after thought. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

May be the new X-Factor here. I know @Ultimate Warrior knows him well. Should be a fun year in the old pick 'em. I almost want to get the week 1 picks up now! But, until confirmed it would just take up space.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Did Goodin take a HC position somewhere?

East:

1A Western- Western on paper is the favorite after finishing 2nd a year ago. They return most of their huge OL as well as their stud RB Padgett. However their QB transferred to Eastbrook so they must replace him. Still should be a really good team this fall.

1B Tipton- Tipton needs to replace a couple OL but return everyone else lead by Jr All Staters WR/S Drew Pearce and RB/LB Jayvin Lyons. Key will be keeping QB Sam Edwards healthy. He was starting to play really well last year before going down with a season ending injury against Rensselaer. Defense should be very good.

3-5 This is a tossup. Cass was really good last year but lost pretty much their whole team. I was told they don’t have much coming up either. However they will be very well coached so I expect them to overachieve.

Hamilton Heights has kind of been a mess the last few years. They’ve been much more talented than their record. They do lose a lot but return both of their talented QB’s. I’m not a fan of the 2 QB system so I feel they should stick with one. I think they’ll be at least a little improved.

Northwestern- They’ve struggled the last few years but they had some nice young players that should be upperclassmen now. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them climb out of the cellar. Cardwell kid is a player. 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:09 PM, Fballfan15 said:

East:

1A Western- Western on paper is the favorite after finishing 2nd a year ago. They return most of their huge OL as well as their stud RB Padgett. However their QB transferred to Eastbrook so they must replace him. Still should be a really good team this fall.

The Engle boy transferred to Eastbrook? I didn't know that. 

My better half is a Hamilton Heights Huskie alum. I'm pulling for Kirschner to turn it around this year. He's a good guy. I don't know what's happened up in Cicero/Arcadia/Atlanta. They were turning into a juggernaut under Street and the bottom just completely fell out. Not sure if they're going through a down-cycle with talent or injuries are piling up. Just doesn't seem right to see Heights on the losing end of seasons. Their teams of the recent past would have a decent number of guys good enough to start for neighboring Hoosier Crossroads teams.

Of course, what's most important in the Hoosier Conference this year is for Yanni to be injury free on his way to Purdue. 😉

• Like 3

I think Western might be the favorite in the East.  They are big up front and return their leading rusher for his Senior season.  Replacing the QB will be the only issue.  They played a ton of Juniors last year at the skilled positions and a few linemen.  I expect them to be pretty good in the East.

Much the same can be said about Tipton.  They played a number of Juniors last year, so they bring back good experience.  Now, I am not sure about their depth, so injuries could be a problem, but I expect them to challenge Western.

I would agree with FootballFan15, 3 thru 5 is a toss up.

Cass will have four Seniors back with significant experience (graduated a senior class of ten with most of them having played significant minutes since their sophomore year), and I only see about six seniors playing significant minutes this year.  They could easily start five at the skilled positions and the other on the O-line.  The big question mark is the O-line.  Relatively no experience and only one junior with really any minutes from last year.  I could see them starting two Sophomores there. They really need someone to step up to the challenge.  And depth, I don't see much, so injuries could be a disaster.  The senior class has some good athletes and are good leaders, just not a lot of them and even fewer in the junior class.  This could be an interesting year for them with a new coach, but I expect them to overachieve simply because of the respect they have for Coach Clay Mannering, Coach Scott Mannering, and Coach Barr.  The one thing you can count on with the Cass kids, they will give all out effort and will run through a brick wall for their coaches.

Hamilton Heights could be decent.  Injuries really hurt them last year.  They played a lot of younger guys and took their lumps, but that could bode well for them for this year and next.  I expect them to be better.

Northwestern is a mystery to me.  I played there and we had an identity.  Right now, I still think they are trying to find theirs.  I think the coach is trying to get the kids to play a certain way, but it is not what they are used to doing.  If they find it, they have some good athletes and a little confidence with them will go a long way.

I do not know as much about the West.  I expect Westside, LCC, and the Bombers to be really tough teams to beat.

Good luck to all of them, and let's play some Football!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I believe there was another Knepley who was a Freshman, or maybe sophomore last year at JV QB and played some Varsity DB as well,  I would suspect the genes in the family didn't stop with older brother.   

He will be a sophomore and I’m told he will be their QB. The genes definitely didn’t skip him. Not sure he is the thrower Engle was but he will give them another option in the run game. 

On 5/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, Ultimate Warrior said:

Im excited to see how Lewis Cass does. 

I play close attention to them due to Kyle and Tyson Johnson are over there and now Craig Barr will be on staff.

Saw in the paper they might be moving Tyson Johnson to QB... Which I get. Hes a leader, a hard worker, pretty athletic kid who knows what he can and can't do. They did lose quite a bit but Clayton is gonna be a good one...his dad and Craig have 3 rings combined, with 300+ wins between the two, plus some other guys who had been at Cass for years. Itll be exciting to see how Cass does being very green. I knew they were good when I asked Tyson if he was gonna be playing a lot of O and he responded "no, we are loaded at skilled positions, ill be mainly on D).. Tyson would have been a stud at WR here (30-48 receptions 600 to 700 yards..leader had 45 and 500+).talk about weapons galore over there when that talented of a kid is an after thought. 

Was the bolded in the pharos tribune? What Paper? Sorry didn't see this

12 hours ago, dcjjones said:

Was the bolded in the pharos tribune? What Paper? Sorry didn't see this

No, i can't remember which one. I do talk to Barr and Tyson quite a bit and its not a real secret anyway. 

1 hour ago, JustForObservation said:

would be a perfect opportunity for a young guy to start coaching in a program where you can only go up....

True, but BC has always been a basketball first school.  In fact, their long time AD, Dick Atha who recently passed away, was a standout, even played in the NBA.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

No, i can't remember which one. I do talk to Barr and Tyson quite a bit and its not a real secret anyway. 

And they have another Senior who has played QB in this system since the 3rd grade.  It doesn't hurt that he is #2 in his class.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

Let's bump this up. If we are lucky to have football. Tipton thinks they are a favorite in 2A. That would lead me to believe they'd be a favorite in the Hoosier Conference as well. I don't think I buy it. 

I'm still going with West Lafayette until something on the field says otherwise ... unless there's a mass alien abduction in West Lafayette in the next month.

• Like 1