Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

July 6 Re-Entry

So July 1-6 isn’t a mandatory moratorium, but it is.

And I am 100 times more concerned about heat exhaustion/illness by a player who hasn’t been working out in July heat than anything else.

It is what it is. I’m sure they will adjust.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

And I am 100 times more concerned about heat exhaustion/illness by a player who hasn’t been working out in July heat than anything else.

Players CANNOT use “communal” water sources.  But water must be provided.  

I assume this means they need to bring their own bottle, and school must have a place to refill those?

That restriction doesn’t seem to disappear after phase 1.

I think most staff’s will find ways to make this work.  

I’m more curious about the return to school recommendations and how that will work.  How closely do schools need to adhere to these “considerations”?  Or are they “guidelines” in the Pirate Code sense?  If they are expected to be strictly adhered to, things will be far from “normal”.  Interesting that the state asks for schools to discuss liability with the district insurance provider (pg 4).  I struggle to see high schools being able to function anywhere close to “normal” if these are thought of as strictly adhered to “rules”.

@Bobref...enlighten us!!!

1 minute ago, US31 said:

Players CANNOT use “communal” water sources.  But water must be provided.  

I assume this means they need to bring their own bottle, and school must have a place to refill those?

That restriction doesn’t seem to disappear after phase 1.

I think most staff’s will find ways to make this work.  

I’m more curious about the return to school recommendations and how that will work.  How closely do schools need to adhere to these “considerations”?  Or are they “guidelines” in the Pirate Code sense?  If they are expected to be strictly adhered to, things will be far from “normal”.  Interesting that the state asks for schools to discuss liability with the district insurance provider (pg 4).  I struggle to see high schools being able to function anywhere close to “normal” if these are thought of as strictly adhered to “rules”.

@Bobref...enlighten us!!!

I would expect that anywhere where someone could come in contact with the water would be considered communal such as water fountains, water stations that share a common/reusable spigot, and even the old standby hose.  @Bobref or some of the others that deal in the "legalese" of the IHSAA and the local government might be better in a position to clarify, but the way it seems is that they must have water available AND it can't be from somewhere where there will be player contact with said source ... which would likely rule out refilling.  It almost sounds like bottled water has to be provided.  I would expect that, to cut some costs associated with something like that since bottled water would impose an additional cost beyond the usual communal watering stations, schools will says "bring your own water," but will also have stores of bottled water that they can work from if students need more, run out, forget to bring it, etc.

21 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I would expect that anywhere where someone could come in contact with the water would be considered communal such as water fountains, water stations that share a common/reusable spigot, and even the old standby hose.  @Bobref or some of the others that deal in the "legalese" of the IHSAA and the local government might be better in a position to clarify, but the way it seems is that they must have water available AND it can't be from somewhere where there will be player contact with said source ... which would likely rule out refilling.  It almost sounds like bottled water has to be provided.  I would expect that, to cut some costs associated with something like that since bottled water would impose an additional cost beyond the usual communal watering stations, schools will says "bring your own water," but will also have stores of bottled water that they can work from if students need more, run out, forget to bring it, etc.

In the July 6-19 guidelines it states, "Shared hydration stations (water trough, water fountains, water hose, etc.) should not be utilized except for filling individual, labeled water bottles."

Sounds like a communal refilling station could be used, just be careful not to congregate in line too closely.

And my above comment about heat exhaustion wasn't just about water, although that is a part of it.  I was thinking of the 300 pound lineman who has only paid video games for three months and shows up wearing a mask during calisthenics.  But you're probably right.  I've known some linemen that would show up with a 20 oz Evian or Aguafina bottle for a workout in 90 degree heat. 

Edited by oldtimeqb

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

In the July 6-19 guidelines it states, "Shared hydration stations (water trough, water fountains, water hose, etc.) should not be utilized except for filling individual, labeled water bottles."

Sounds like a communal refilling station could be used, just be careful not to congregate in line too closely.

And my above comment about heat exhaustion wasn't just about water, although that is a part of it.  I was thinking of the 300 pound lineman who has only paid video games for three months and shows up wearing a mask during calisthenics.  But you're probably right.  I've known some linemen that would show up with a 20 oz Evian or Aguafina bottle for a workout in 90 degree heat. 

And keep the knuckleheads out of the stations.  Sometimes those watering stations look like a public fountain the way that kids get when they get around water. 😀

That 20 oz. will get him from the locker-room to the field if he's lucky.  I'm always amazed at how much folks underestimate just how much liquid is necessary to sustain a body; especially under exertion in heat.  Even with younger kids, I'm constantly having to force kids to take advantage of the water breaks when they keep saying, "But I'm not thirsty."  You don't get too many balking at the high school level, but I always tell kids when they are getting water, "Just before you leave the station, always take another three or four mouthfuls to be sure."

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I was thinking of the 300 pound lineman who has only paid video games for three months and shows up wearing a mask during calisthenics.

I'm with ya on that. I have one at home now. Well, he's about 20 pounds shy of 300. To his credit, he has been working out almost every day at Lifetime Fitness and doing some running, but not nearly enough running. Then he stays up all night with the video games.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 3:22 PM, FarmerFran said:

I wonder, with the emphasis on individual drink containers, if the IHSAA looks at having built in hydration timeouts during games especially early on in the heat.

We've always done that if it's hot and humid. We usually take extra time after a change of possession to allow players to get more water. Although if you are in trouble it's because you didn't hydrate enough before the days before the game. Still a good idea. Officials will likely also have to bring out own bottles and find someplace to keep them during the game.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:52 PM, foxbat said:

I'm always amazed at how much folks underestimate just how much liquid is necessary to sustain a body; especially under exertion in heat. 

I remember playing at Hanover College and losing on average 12 lbs each practice. I was a d-lineman and sweat a lot, but still players have to consume a lot of water!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Nice to see many SIAC and PAC basketball players (and some football players) will get about 4-5 competitive games in before July 6.

http://pocketcitybasketball.com/summer-pcbxleague2020/

Then they will have to social distance from those same kids and can’t even perform lifts requiring a spotter for the next two weeks to follow IHSAA guidelines. Just mind boggling. 

On 6/7/2020 at 1:05 PM, JustRules said:

We've always done that if it's hot and humid. We usually take extra time after a change of possession to allow players to get more water. Although if you are in trouble it's because you didn't hydrate enough before the days before the game. Still a good idea. Officials will likely also have to bring out own bottles and find someplace to keep them during the game.

Work smarter. Not harder. Everyone in the stadium appreciates hydration TOs. 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, Coach_K said:

I remember playing at Hanover College and losing on average 12 lbs each practice. I was a d-lineman and sweat a lot, but still players have to consume a lot of water!

When I played in college, we had to weigh in and out. I’d lose 8-12 lbs an afternoon practice. We had 3 a days back then. Am. Afternoon. PM (special teams only). Meetings in between each (2 Total). I played QB, so I really enjoyed the pm practice. We went over all individuals for the 3rd time of the day and went over all audibles, check w me’s, front recognition. Very mentally challenging. 

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Nice to see many SIAC and PAC basketball players (and some football players) will get about 4-5 competitive games in before July 6.

http://pocketcitybasketball.com/summer-pcbxleague2020/

Then they will have to social distance from those same kids and can’t even perform lifts requiring a spotter for the next two weeks to follow IHSAA guidelines. Just mind boggling. 

Agree....as long as your paying for it...it must be safe.

• Like 1

30 players at LSU test positive. I know we can say they are young, they will be fine. We will see. I know some will say just play on, but the question becomes, can we really just play on? Regardless of who tests positive? This may not be a matter left up to schools. I know the districts in Allen County are working with the County Health Department. Even they may not be the ones making the decisions for football and other sports. Even if we do everything we possibly can and a kid or two gets sick, we know insurance companies are likely to point the finger at us. Something will come up where we might be told, well, you SHOULD have done.....and then we as coaches, or even a position coach, are responsible. 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/20/lsu-football-players-quarantined-coronavirus

College and high schools are different animals.  College players come from various states and as we know each state is different when it comes to getting back to normal.  On the other hand high school players come from the same neighborhood, for the most part.

The key to having a season will be how well we as coaches navigate through the month of July. If the guidelines are followed as set out by the various agencies NFHS, IDOE, IHSAA and IFCA I think we stand a good chance. But if things pattern themselves after how some of the 50 states reacted during their re-openings, ignoring the CDC guidelines,  taking short cuts and or doing their own thing.......the season will be in jeopardy. Just too many moving parts......July will be interesting!

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

30 players at LSU test positive. I know we can say they are young, they will be fine. We will see. I know some will say just play on, but the question becomes, can we really just play on? Regardless of who tests positive? This may not be a matter left up to schools. I know the districts in Allen County are working with the County Health Department. Even they may not be the ones making the decisions for football and other sports. Even if we do everything we possibly can and a kid or two gets sick, we know insurance companies are likely to point the finger at us. Something will come up where we might be told, well, you SHOULD have done.....and then we as coaches, or even a position coach, are responsible. 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/20/lsu-football-players-quarantined-coronavirus

Yes. Play on. 
If people can riot, loot, and protest, sports most definitely should go on. 

See you 8/14. 

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Yes. Play on. 
If people can riot, loot, and protest, attend political rallies in an ENCLOSED ARENA, sports most definitely should go on. 

See you 8/14. 

ftfy

Edited by gonzoron