Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Radtke leaving Portage - heading to Knox

20 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Per Chuck Freeby's Twitter - Russ Radtke leaving Portage job to become the new head football coach at Knox.

image.png.dc5f7686634c95d41473254f6650a199.png

What the WHAT?????????????????????????????????????

His next 3 teams are gonna be really really good... 

I thought with John at helm. They'd make a run.. Now i really think they willl with Coach Radtke. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Like 1

The hits just keep coming to Portage Athletics. Would have never guessed a coaching carousel in the Hoosier North would cause a 6A Duneland school to lose their coach. I would like to see the Portage AD make a call to Roydon Richards. 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

The hits just keep coming to Portage Athletics. Would have never guessed a coaching carousel in the Hoosier North would cause a 6A Duneland school to lose their coach. I would like to see the Portage AD make a call to Roydon Richards. 

Got a feeling Russ was very underwhelmed by the talent on hand at Portage.  And he is a small school guy by DNA.  Was never a good-logical fit.  

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Got a feeling Russ was very underwhelmed by the talent on hand at Portage.  And he is a small school guy by DNA.  Was never a good-logical fit.  

I think he's got a farm in Starke County along with him being from North Judson originally. 

Knox is gonna have 3 really good seasons coming up...50+ kids on a 3a roster+ playing 1a schools.. Pretty easy to see why. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

Great for Knox. HNAC is gonna be a slugfest.

Its gonna be a good football conference!

Basketball had its run but now it's starting to be a football conference. 

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Oh.  So it might be more than just Portage’s unsubstantiated talent pool?  Hmmm...

Ive met Coach Radtke a couple times. I know a few guys that played for him at NJ. 

I know he graduated from judson, he coached there too and last i knew he had a farm in the judson area...seems like it's a full circle type of deal. 

Knox is gonna have some good teams and it wouldn't shock me if Knox made the trip to Lucas Oil this fall. They return a boatload of talent and now a coach thats went to state 5 times. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gipper said:

Oh.  So it might be more than just Portage’s unsubstantiated talent pool?  Hmmm...

Yeah, I think DT is reaching there. Seems more like an opportunity to go full circle and finish where he started in Starke County.

Why do the two biggest schools in The DAC, Lake Central and Portage, have the two weakest football programs?  Portage has had subpar talent for a school its size for 20 years.  When was the last time you saw a Portage player truly dominate his position in The DAC?  

Elmer Britton and Craig Buzea were replaced by several coaches who either lacked experience or the skill set to run a big school football program.  

No doubt Russ likely relished the opportunity to go back home, but I would imagine he took a long look down the line at the PHS program all the way down to the bantam level and saw a huge rebuilding challenge ahead.  Radtke has walked into successful programs before and elevated them to elite class level performance.  That was not going to happen at Portage.  It certainly could at Knox.

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, I think DT is reaching there. Seems more like an opportunity to go full circle and finish where he started in Starke County.

We don’t know Rusty’s motivation for his actions, but I’ll bet it wasn’t an easy decision.

27 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Russ-Hank (?)-Julio (?)-Ted

Yes. Coach Orkis is next to coach radtke. Haha..i asked who the other guy next to coach white was. The guy didn't respond. 

KNOX
REDSKINS
Coach: Russ Radtke, 0-0 in 1st year at school, 368-140 in 44th year overall

Coach Radtke may have other objectives in mind relative to this move to Knox

I believe Russ is motivated to become the all time winningest coach in Indiana High School Football history.

He is within striking distance of all time leader Larry Bud Wright, who sits at 423 all time wins.  Radtke is at 368, and in great health where a 10 yer run at Knox is not out of the question.  The Knox schedule is very soft.  I could see Russ averaging 10 to 12 wins a season over the next decade and moving into the top spot.  A couple of deep state runs will also likely be in the mix 

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 22 at Winamac 1A © 6:30 pm    
Aug. 28   Rochester 2A 6:30 pm    
Sep. 4   Culver 1A © 6:30 pm    
Sep. 11 at North Judson 1A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 18 at John Glenn 3A 6:30 pm    
Sep. 25   LaVille 2A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 2   Pioneer 2A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 9 at Triton 1A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 16   Caston 1A © 6:30 pm