Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Radtke leaving Portage - heading to Knox

1 minute ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

It is more "convenient". Don't they have a farm near Knox??

Isn't one of his sons an administrator at knox schools? 

Didnt he graduate from a school in the county? 

Didnt he use to coach at said school he graduated from? 

Isnt one of his coaches a teacher at judson? 

Knox isn't open. I bet Radtke is still at Portage but the fact this job opened up, it allowed a man whose career is probably almost done to come close to home. 

And it stil looks bad

7 hours ago, Bartrum Trail said:

Just saying that leaving the players now during these times leaves alot to be desired.   The players are the ones who are hurting now.   Bob I have as much non-public information as you do, and we all know how knowledgeable you are.

There are many possible scenarios as to why Coach Radtke is now at Knox rather than Portage. Immediately assuming that Coach Radtke pulled the rug out from under Portage is unwarranted, unless you are aware of the actual circumstances. Anything else is just jumping to conclusions without evidence to support those conclusions.

9 hours ago, DT said:

And it stil looks bad

If there weren't vast personal ties attached to his decision, I would agree with you, but I can't fault a man for following his family, especially in the latter parts of his career. Some career opportunities come up only once and a person has to take advantage and not struggle with "what-ifs" for the rest of their life.

This gives Coach H the chance to reunite with his Warrior family and gives him a short drive from home. Radtke can now be closer to his family as well.

It also beefs up the HNAC into a potential small school powerhouse conference, with Pioneer, LaVille, Knox, Winamac, and North Judson all looking to have some strong teams in the upcoming years. The HNAC is looking to be a slugfest at the top.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AG said:

If there weren't vast personal ties attached to his decision, I would agree with you, but I can't fault a man for following his family, especially in the latter parts of his career. Some career opportunities come up only once and a person has to take advantage and not struggle with "what-ifs" for the rest of their life.

This gives Coach H the chance to reunite with his Warrior family and gives him a short drive from home. Radtke can now be closer to his family as well.

It also beefs up the HNAC into a potential small school powerhouse conference, with Pioneer, LaVille, Knox, Winamac, and North Judson all looking to have some strong teams in the upcoming years. The HNAC is looking to be a slugfest at the top.

Agree, this conference looks solid.  Pound for pound, maybe the best and most balanced in the state.  What happened to the West central program and why are they not a part of this group?

1 hour ago, AG said:

AG.  You are absolutely correct.

But even with that said.  From the outside it looks bad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Agree, this conference looks solid.  Pound for pound, maybe the best and most balanced in the state.  What happened to the West central program and why are they not a part of this group?

They were not competitive in the HNAC so fled back to the relatively  lower competition of the MWC.

2012 MWC 10-2

2013 MWC 8-4

2014 MWC 6-4

2015 HNAC 1-9

2016 HNAC 1-9

2017 HNAC 0-10

2018 MWC 4-6

2019 MWC 3-6

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 77Jimmie said:

AG.  You are absolutely correct.

But even with that said.  From the outside it looks bad.

I really dont thing Russ cares.  He has been a renegade his entire career  He promoted the outlaw image at Griffith, where he made his biggest mark.

Edited by DT

44 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

West Central administration wised up and realized they were in over their heads and did what was best for ALL their sports teams.  Caston would be very wise to follow.  They have no business in this conference.  

Would they fit in that conference that caston is in?

11 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

Caston needs to go back to the Midwest Conference where they were competitive.  

Maybe, but look at the logistics: Kentland is about a 90 minute drive and Morocco/Lake Village is about the same.  It’s a little better for North White, Tri-County, and  West Central, but still a haul.  Then again, I wanted Triton the other day...

2 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

Renegade? Outlaw? Does this mean he is also a "maverick"?

bristol palin sarah GIF

6588C5BB-87EA-4A86-8F49-9C2FDC2C2E23.gif

Caston to SN is 66 miles.  We travel 80 miles to Hamilton Heights and 71 miles to Tipton.  You are correct it is long travel but a lot of conferences have to do it.  What's more important to the school?  Travel distance and not competitive or travel and be competitive?  Lose or keep programs going?  What is best for our student athletes?  Administrators have tough choices to make.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

Caston to SN is 66 miles.  We travel 80 miles to Hamilton Heights and 71 miles to Tipton.  You are correct it is long travel but a lot of conferences have to do it.  What's more important to the school?  Travel distance and not competitive or travel and be competitive?  Lose or keep programs going?  What is best for our student athletes?  Administrators have tough choices to make.   

You’re spot on.  I remember all those trips to Caston.  And Pioneer.   And Winamac.  Who knows, the MWC could be a good option for the Comets.

2 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

West Central administration wised up and realized they were in over their heads and did what was best for ALL their sports teams.  Caston would be very wise to follow.  They have no business in this conference.  

How would KV fit into this conference?   Yes, they are bigger than everyone else, but they dont necesarily play 2 classes better than many of the schools in this conference.

Got no opinion on this....but I am a fan of Radtke....coaches truly do matter.

Despite this Coronavirus nightmare, my wonderful Aunt from Connersville has a brain tumor (a terminal one).  In the sad course of that (my Aunt is an incredible woman for the record), my cousin’s  husband reminded me that Connersville wasn’t always a pushover....they had this coach many years ago named Russ Radtke....and they WON.  

Connersville NEVER wins (though one of the bigger schools within 40 miles there for 50 years) going back as far as my old days.

Radtke won there.   No one has since (or before).

Gotta be honest.  Radtke is a special dude.  In general, measuring the relative loyalty or honor of high school’s versus coach’s is a draw at best.

There are no innocents.

Radtke is a rare commodity.  He’s earned the right to do whatever the Hell he wants.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Got no opinion on this....but I am a fan of Radtke....coaches truly do matter.

Despite this Coronavirus nightmare, my wonderful Aunt from Connersville has a brain tumor (a terminal one).  In the sad course of that (my Aunt is an incredible woman for the record), my cousin’s  husband reminded me that Connersville wasn’t always a pushover....they had this coach many years ago named Russ Radtke....and they WON.  

Connersville NEVER wins (though one of the bigger schools within 40 miles there for 50 years) going back as far as my old days.

Radtke won there.   No one has since (or before).

Gotta be honest.  Radtke is a special dude.  In general, measuring the relative loyalty or honor of high school’s versus coach’s is a draw at best.

There are no innocents.

Radtke is a rare commodity.  He’s earned the right to do whatever the Hell he wants.

A few years ago...a guy i know told me shortly after Russ Radtke left Connersville he thought about applying at Connersville but didn't... Said "if Russ Radtke can barely win there, idk who can"

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

A few years ago...a guy i know told me shortly after Russ Radtke left Connersville he thought about applying at Connersville but didn't... Said "if Russ Radtke can barely win there, idk who can"

These days it’s a disaster there.  Drugs are rampant.  Manufacturer’s long gone (They used to call themselves, way too pridefully, Little Chicago). As a kid, Connersville was where we did all of our Christmas shopping whether direct or at Sears direct or mail order. I actually think I still have some +50 year old books from Sears and the Drug store in Connersville.  All of our Friday grocery shopping was there.  

Never knew what the deal there was.  Great....really GREAT Hoops but football was awful....excepting during Radtke.  Physical talent was there.

Also, UW, I kinda jumped you when I was grumpy back on the OOB a week or so back (it’s getting close to that hour for me to be grumpy, btw).   Not saying I apologize necessarily but I kinda apologize for being grumpy...kinda...

Edited by Lysander

7 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

Caston and Pioneer not being in the same conference would just feel weird, plus Caston is typically at least competitive with Pioneer in other sports. Caston also has a soccer program, which might make them an odd fit in the MWC.

11 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

Thanks Coach. I appreciate the correction. I meant. Would Caston be competitive in the conference that WC is in?  Is that the Midwest?

4 hours ago, AG said:

Caston and Pioneer not being in the same conference would just feel weird, plus Caston is typically at least competitive with Pioneer in other sports. Caston also has a soccer program, which might make them an odd fit in the MWC.

I agree, and conversely feel the same way about South Newton and Tri-County.  That led me a little surprised when TC left for another conference a few years back and left the Rebels playing league games in Illinois.  It was a fairly good run, but I'm glad they got the bad back together with TC, Frontier, North White, West Central, and new bass player North Newton.  They still could use a few backup singers/dancers which is why Caston, Triton, or even Boone Grove might not be such a bad idea.

34 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Thanks Coach. I appreciate the correction. I meant. Would Caston be competitive in the conference that WC is in?  Is that the Midwest?

Yes it would.  The reason for my rather negative comments is that I had just driven back from Chicago and had to endure tornado warnings in Merrillville and Crown Point.  Luckily, the Gippermobile and I emerged unscathed...

14 hours ago, Lysander said:

These days it’s a disaster there.  Drugs are rampant.  Manufacturer’s long gone (They used to call themselves, way too pridefully, Little Chicago). As a kid, Connersville was where we did all of our Christmas shopping whether direct or at Sears direct or mail order. I actually think I still have some +50 year old books from Sears and the Drug store in Connersville.  All of our Friday grocery shopping was there.  

Never knew what the deal there was.  Great....really GREAT Hoops but football was awful....excepting during Radtke.  Physical talent was there.

Also, UW, I kinda jumped you when I was grumpy back on the OOB a week or so back (it’s getting close to that hour for me to be grumpy, btw).   Not saying I apologize necessarily but I kinda apologize for being grumpy...kinda...

No biggie man

If people get hurt by comments on a forum.. Chances are you shouldn't be on one.

19 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

Sometimes contraction is the only logical choice.

I seem to recall Region schools playing Connersville deep into the state tournament in the early 70s.  I would always get them confused with Illinois schools because they played on WGN channel 9 in the Chicago area and The Region while we picked up the Indiana tournament barely on some goofy off the range channel.  Maybe it was channel 50.

Edited by DT