Jump to content
DT

7 on 7 has ruined traditional American Tackle Football

Recommended Posts

7 on 7 has ruined traditional tackle football

Its basically a more physical version of flag football

Not the game most of us  grew up to know, love and play.

It robs athletes of the natural football instinct for contact, which is what attracted many of us to the game. 

And disassociates linemen from the team concept due to its exclusionary nature

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that’s a hot take. 

 

Too bad the kids playing 7on7s are only doing so to prepare better for the upcoming season otherwise your opinion might have weight 

 

jmo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DT said:

7 on 7 has ruined traditional tackle football

Its basically a more physical version of flag football

Not the game most of us  grew up to know, love and play.

It robs athletes of the natural football instinct for contact, which is what attracted many of us to the game. 

And disassociates linemen from the team concept due to its exclusionary nature

 

 

Try naming the positives in one of your gripes for a change.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AG said:

Try naming the positives in one of your gripes for a change.

I dont see any positives, other than its good exercise for young people and keeps them away from video games 

I can hardly watch football at any level these days.  The game does not resemble its glorious past.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT said:

I dont see any positives, other than its good exercise for young people and keeps them away from video games 

I can hardly watch football at any level these days.  The game does not resemble its glorious past.  

How far back would you like it to go?  Do any games resemble their glorious pasts?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robert said:

How far back would you like it to go?  Do any games resemble their glorious pasts?  

I would say the quality of football peaked in the 2000-2010 era.  The game was still very physical, and the athletic talent was at an all time high.

The game today is too watered down for my liking.  Low participation numbers are having an impact on development at all levels.  Concussion concerns are forcing many athletes to leave the game or abort promising careers.  Contact continues to be removed from the game  Over analysis and numbers crunching have replaced basic strategy and instinct.  Just look at the recent wave of inexperienced NFL coaching hires.  Bettors have replaced casual fans.  

Basic blocking and tackling have been devalued by the implementation of pro 7 on 7 type rules.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT said:

 

I can hardly watch football at any level these days.  The game does not resemble its glorious past.  

Me either, ever since they allowed face mask and the forward pass, the game has just went downhill... I honestly don't know why anyone still plays or watches it , I am sure it is just a few seasons away from totally being a forgotten sport.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Titan76 said:

Me either, ever since they allowed face mask and the forward pass, the game has just went downhill... I honestly don't know why anyone still plays or watches it , I am sure it is just a few seasons away from totally being a forgotten sport.

Its your game now.  Enjoy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DT said:

I would say the quality of football peaked in the 2000-2010 era.  The game was still very physical, and the athletic talent was at an all time high.

The game today is too watered down for my liking.  Low participation numbers are having an impact on development at all levels.  Concussion concerns are forcing many athletes to leave the game or abort promising careers.  Contact continues to be removed from the game  Over analysis and numbers crunching have replaced basic strategy and instinct.  Just look at the recent wave of inexperienced NFL coaching hires.  Bettors have replaced casual fans.  

Basic blocking and tackling have been devalued by the implementation of pro 7 on 7 type rules.  

 

 

I'll name a few positives for you. 7 on 7 games in the off-season give teams an opportunity the chance for their skill players to have live go reps against other competition. It also gives teams a great opportunity to work on their passing offense. 

Injuries are down, which will lead a number increase over time.

Edited by AG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AG said:

I'll name a few positives for you. 7 on 7 games in the off-season give teams an opportunity the chance for their skill players to have live go reps against other competition. It also gives teams a great opportunity to work on their passing offense. 

Injuries are down, which will lead a number increase over time.

Disagree strongly on the injury issue

The combination of wide open spread offenses and fake turf have significantly increased the incidence of injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DT said:

Disagree strongly on the injury issue

The combination of wide open spread offenses and fake turf have significantly increased the incidence of injury.  

Any data to back this up, or is this just based on all the football you watch?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m personally not a fan of 7-on-7 and prefer light contact 11-on-11 in the off-season. With Pioneers wing-t offense, we were having to work on things we would seldom use during the season. 

I think it’s also important to give kids the opportunity to take a break from football and play other sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DT said:

Disagree strongly on the injury issue

The combination of wide open spread offenses and fake turf have significantly increased the incidence of injury.  

I have zero data to back this up.....just stating this.

But for me, a guy that coached 6 years on turf fields and the other roughly 14 years on natural grass, it sure seems this way. Imho, turf doesn’t give like natural grass. 

1 example was our rb going to cut on turf, foot stuck, rolled up on and high ankle sprain. Very natural play. Saw this and experienced it hundreds of times in grass and never witnessed it once. 

Now to wide open offenses. I have been in run oriented offenses my entire life but have witnessed other teams players taking hits that wouldn’t have been made in running plays or old school ish quick passing games. 

Jmo. 

Thunk that’s all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DT said:

 I realize we're getting off in the weeds, but since your article seems to focus on deaths, NCCSIR seem to disagree, I don't see any discernible trend. I'm not going to knock the Boston Globe's effort to shock and awe, but NCCSIR and RIO by all accounts I've been privy to is the gold standard when it comes to sport related injury statistics. 

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I have zero data to back this up.....just stating this.

But for me, a guy that coached 6 years on turf fields and the other roughly 14 years on natural grass, it sure seems this way. Imho, turf doesn’t give like natural grass. 

1 example was our rb going to cut on turf, foot stuck, rolled up on and high ankle sprain. Very natural play. Saw this and experienced it hundreds of times in grass and never witnessed it once. 

Now to wide open offenses. I have been in run oriented offenses my entire life but have witnessed other teams players taking hits that wouldn’t have been made in running plays or old school ish quick passing games. 

Jmo. 

Thunk that’s all. 

 Wear non-cleated shoes. It did happen on grass as well, though probably not with as much frequency, my ankle is still jank, but it beats the having knee surgery!

Edited by Impartial_Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I have zero data to back this up.....just stating this.

But for me, a guy that coached 6 years on turf fields and the other roughly 14 years on natural grass, it sure seems this way. Imho, turf doesn’t give like natural grass. 

1 example was our rb going to cut on turf, foot stuck, rolled up on and high ankle sprain. Very natural play. Saw this and experienced it hundreds of times in grass and never witnessed it once. 

Now to wide open offenses. I have been in run oriented offenses my entire life but have witnessed other teams players taking hits that wouldn’t have been made in running plays or old school ish quick passing games. 

Jmo. 

Thunk that’s all. 

Data is all over the board on this issue.  In my view, its more of a "gut" feel.  Reporting of injuries is not the same today as it has been in the past.  Not really an apples to apples comp.  

My "gut" tells me we are seeing more injuries overall and more catastrophic injuries as well.  Bigger, stronger and faster athletes playing on lighting quick turf with ultra modern, lightweight protective gear spells trouble.

 

Edited by DT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s about the kids and I haven’t met many skill guys that don’t love playing 7 on 7. Now I think any 7 on 7 league that takes a multiple sport athlete away from playing another sport is plain stupid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DT said:

Data is all over the board on this issue.  In my view, its more of a "gut" feel.  Reporting of injuries is not the same today as it has been in the past.  Not really an apples to apples comp.  

My "gut" tells me we are seeing more injuries overall and more catastrophic injuries as well.  Bigger, stronger and faster athletes playing on lighting quick turf with ultra modern, lightweight protective gear spells trouble.

 

The NCCSIR report spells out the issues with reporting, it's still not exactly a science. No word from the Boston Globe. 

Your gut.....now with get to the crux of it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

 I realize we're getting off in the weeds, but since your article seems to focus on deaths, NCCSIR seem to disagree, I don't see any discernible trend. I'm not going to knock the Boston Globe's effort to shock and awe, but NCCSIR and RIO by all accounts I've been privy to is the gold standard when it comes to sport related injury statistics. 

 Wear non-cleated shoes. It did happen on grass as well, though probably not with as much frequency, my ankle is still jank, but it beats the having knee surgery!

NFHS says deaths are down compared to just recently.  Whether it's a couple of blips or not remains to be seen, but the points compared to the past seem lower.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/injury-risk-lowest-in-history-of-high-school-football/

FTA:

The NFHS has been writing and publishing its own rules in football since 1932, and the organization has had an unwavering focus on risk minimization. However, by the late 1960s and early 1970s, the number of deaths in high school football had accelerated, with a high of 35 in 1970. In 1975, spearing was outlawed and several other equipment and safety-related changes were put in place and the number of fatalities dropped significantly.

In 2016 and 2017, there were only two direct deaths each year compared to an average of 20 annually in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Moreover, as opposed to 50 years ago, today playing rules are in place at the high school level to manage a student who exhibits signs and symptoms of a concussion. Thanks to these guidelines and state laws in place, the incidence of high school players incurring a repeat concussion has been greatly reduced. In addition, practice restrictions and contact limits have been adopted by all member state associations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, foxbat said:

NFHS says deaths are down compared to just recently.  Whether it's a couple of blips or not remains to be seen, but the points compared to the past seem lower.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/injury-risk-lowest-in-history-of-high-school-football/

FTA:

The NFHS has been writing and publishing its own rules in football since 1932, and the organization has had an unwavering focus on risk minimization. However, by the late 1960s and early 1970s, the number of deaths in high school football had accelerated, with a high of 35 in 1970. In 1975, spearing was outlawed and several other equipment and safety-related changes were put in place and the number of fatalities dropped significantly.

In 2016 and 2017, there were only two direct deaths each year compared to an average of 20 annually in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Moreover, as opposed to 50 years ago, today playing rules are in place at the high school level to manage a student who exhibits signs and symptoms of a concussion. Thanks to these guidelines and state laws in place, the incidence of high school players incurring a repeat concussion has been greatly reduced. In addition, practice restrictions and contact limits have been adopted by all member state associations.

I believe NFHS gets data from NCCSIR and or RIO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AG said:

I'll name a few positives for you. 7 on 7 games in the off-season give teams an opportunity the chance for their skill players to have live go reps against other competition. It also gives teams a great opportunity to work on their passing offense. 

Injuries are down, which will lead a number increase over time.

Our school participated/participates in 7o7.  Oldest son was a receiver, youngest was a LB/RB.  Benefits to the older are pretty obvious; the younger one thought it helped helped him with dropping back into pass coverage and getting used to working with the DB's.

Our schools linemen spend summers lifting, conditioning and doing some agility drills.  Not sure what else there is for them to do w/o contact.  No 11 on 11 in Texas  during the summer that I know of, just spring football at the bigger high schools.  Is summer 11 on 11 a thing up there nowadays?  That could be of help to the linemen, but how do get them to go with just light contact?  I know with our kids that might last one or two series until someone gets pushed a little harder than before or the ego's start taking over.

There's really not much else going on down here during the summer, with respect to high school sports, than football conditioning.  Baseball usually wraps up around the end of the school year.

Edited by Bonecrusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite aspect of 7 on 7 is when coaches "bend" the rules to gain a competitive advantage.  I'll never forget one team dropping 8 guys into coverage, playing a Cover 2, Man-Under look - with a spy!  Simple explanation, " we run an odd front."  I'll also never forget Russ Radtke running belly, from his old Bone look, on a third and goal.  His explanation, "We'd never pass here."  Griffith actually ended up "winning" that summer tournament. 😂

Edited by HanShotFirst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

My favorite aspect of 7 on 7 is when coaches "bend" the rules to gain a competitive advantage.  I'll never forget one team dropping 8 guys into coverage, playing a Cover 2, Man-Under look - with a spy!  Simple explanation, " we run an odd front."  I'll also never forget Russ Radtke running belly, from his old Bone look, on a third and goal.  His explanation, "We'd never pass here."  Griffith actually ended up "winning" that summer tournament. 😂

They must have left out the we also never rush only three part!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...