Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5a football

On 6/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Temptation said:

I think this is the most intriguing class heading in to the fall.

I could see 4 teams (Valpo, New Pal, Cathedral, Dwenger) winning it honestly.  I think the gap to tier 2 (Columbus East, Castle, Bloomington South, Decatur Central) is fairly large after those four.

Just my opinion.

No Zionsville? 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Temptation said:

I think this is the most intriguing class heading in to the fall.

I could see 4 teams (Valpo, New Pal, Cathedral, Dwenger) winning it honestly.  I think the gap to tier 2 (Columbus East, Castle, Bloomington South, Decatur Central) is fairly large after those four.

Just my opinion.

Not sure I'd put New Pal in the top tier, especially early on.  Roughly 40% of the roster graduated with a ton of key players to replace.   Not saying the Dragons won't be a factor,  but a lot will depend on how quickly the young guys step up.

18 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Not sure I'd put New Pal in the top tier, especially early on.  Roughly 40% of the roster graduated with a ton of key players to replace.   Not saying the Dragons won't be a factor,  but a lot will depend on how quickly the young guys step up.

Not falling for this one again...they’ll be there when it counts.

16 hours ago, Temptation said:

Not falling for this one again...they’ll be there when it counts.

Agreed. They may show some weaknesses and even lose one or both to Decatur Central and Brebeuf. But, they'll get an idea in weeks 1 and 2 which players and schemes work, iron out kinks in HHC play, and Ralph will have them ready for a playoff run by week 10. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. They may show some weaknesses and even lose one or both to Decatur Central and Brebeuf. But, they'll get an idea in weeks 1 and 2 which players and schemes work, iron out kinks in HHC play, and Ralph will have them ready for a playoff run by week 10. 

Yep.  Couldn’t agree more.

(I do find it as a breath of fresh air that their supporters on here practice humility though.)

On 6/15/2020 at 9:50 PM, dmizers3 said:

The Dragons are the champs until they get knocked off. They deserve that top tier status. However, it’ll be a lot more challenging this year for them and I think 5A will be an exciting class to see who makes it to Lucas Oil

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, statmurp_10 said:

So sorry you're blatantly misinformed, but the Pandemic rolls on, and in many places it is exercising its second wind. All of these, so called, reopening to normalcies, are just a gamble that every state's health department may be able to stay on top of the citizen's healthy do diligence and everyone continues to exercise safe social distancing, and the use of face masks. I guess it is fine to handicap  your own decision making for the finishes in 5A football.

No body is gambling anything by reopening.   
I remember when the scare was hospitals being overwhelmed.  Once it was clear that would not happen,  the goal posts moved to get rid of it altogether.  Now that we opened back up, you are going to soft play it again and say, it’s only a Safety measure to avoid overwhelming the hospitals and then you will move to we have to have a vaccine and on and on.  
We need to live ours lives not in fear unlike your wishes for everyone.  Take a hike. 

• Like 2
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

5 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

No body is gambling anything by reopening.   
I remember when the scare was hospitals being overwhelmed.  Once it was clear that would not happen,  the goal posts moved to get rid of it altogether.  Now that we opened back up, you are going to soft play it again and say, it’s only a Safety measure to avoid overwhelming the hospitals and then you will move to we have to have a vaccine and on and on.  
We need to live ours lives not in fear unlike your wishes for everyone.  Take a hike. 

To each their own opinion: correct or incorrect. Remember, death comes to each of us, there is no escape. But if we can come to our own devises to stick around until the Almighty actually wants us to make a personal appearance in front of the Pearly Gates; therefore we shouldn't' be hurrying the process along.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, psaboy said:

I think the Left wants to extend the Pandemic as much as they can. They want to spread fear and chaos among the public. 

I bet the families of the 120,000+ dead folks would disagree with you.  There's no bigger fan than me but I don't want anyone to suffer a serious illness or just to fulfill my fun fantasies.  I hope I'm wrong but I'm still worried that we won't see our beloved football this fall.

• Like 1

Gonna be a lot of new faces for the Dragons in 2020.  Reminds me a lot of 2017.  Not sure what we have yet, especially with the virus shutting everything down.  What we do have is a OL that will return 4 players that started in 2019.  Three of them have D1 offers.  Also a WR and a LB with D1 offers.  QB returns.  It's a good start.  Sophomore group lost one game in middle school and has some very good talent.  Some of them are going to play.  Some big holes to fill at RB and in the secondary (all 5 players graduated).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Gonna be a lot of new faces for the Dragons in 2020.  Reminds me a lot of 2017.  Not sure what we have yet, especially with the virus shutting everything down.  What we do have is a OL that will return 4 players that started in 2019.  Three of them have D1 offers.  Also a WR and a LB with D1 offers.  QB returns.  It's a good start.  Sophomore group lost one game in middle school and has some very good talent.  Some of them are going to play.  Some big holes to fill at RB and in the secondary (all 5 players graduated).

The secondary is the biggest question mark I think.  I believe all 5 were at least 3 year starters, that's a lot of talent and experience to replace.   Can't wait for the season to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I’m missing something, but there seems to be little talk of the Cathedral Irish here. They return all their skill players sans the QB and majority of OLine. Also advancing is a stacked junior class of 40 players that were undefeated freshmen through arguably the toughest freshmen schedule in the country. Senior depth and leadership at D-Line, RB, WR1, WR2. 

Our schedule lightens this year too as we only travel to Penn and Louisville Trinity. We did add a big game with Carmel out of the gates and an emerging Westfield team. I believe this is the deepest Cathedral team in a decade. We’ll know more after Carmel. 

5 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but there seems to be little talk of the Cathedral Irish here. They return all their skill players sans the QB and majority of OLine. Also advancing is a stacked junior class of 40 players that were undefeated freshmen through arguably the toughest freshmen schedule in the country. Senior depth and leadership at D-Line, RB, WR1, WR2. 

Our schedule lightens this year too as we only travel to Penn and Louisville Trinity. We did add a big game with Carmel out of the gates and an emerging Westfield team. I believe this is the deepest Cathedral team in a decade. We’ll know more after Carmel. 

Cathedral will be back in the state finals this year. That is my pick for the South

10 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

they have to be the favorites in the south

although NP may have had a transfer or two . . . 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, HanShotFirst said:

The Valparaiso Vikings dominate the Sectional, crush Concord/Mishawaka, win a tight one over the Saints - the new QB Grimes making all the difference, then eke out a win over the Irish of Cathedral during Thanksgiving weekend.  5A State Champs!

crystal ball cmt GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

I hope I’m wrong, but this is the most likely scenario.   Even with Cathedral beating Carmel this past weekend.  However, I would love to see the Saints pull it off.  

Edited by OldschoolFB

12 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

I hope I’m wrong, but this is the most likely scenario.   Even with Cathedral beating Carmel this past weekend.  However, I would love to see the Saints pull it off.  

Based on returning talent from last year and moreso on performance so far this season I'd say Cathedral is significantly better than everyone else in 5A.  Now its a long season and we have potential covid issues, injuries and teams will improve as the season goes on but at this point it looks like 5A is Cathedral's title to lose.

• Like 1