Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5a football

19 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Based on returning talent from last year and moreso on performance so far this season I'd say Cathedral is significantly better than everyone else in 5A.  Now its a long season and we have potential covid issues, injuries and teams will improve as the season goes on but at this point it looks like 5A is Cathedral's title to lose.

The more I think about it,  I’m starting to lean this way too.  One thing is for sure 5A is loaded this year at the top.  As they were last year in the top 4 teams.  This year seems a little bit deeper. Maybe top 6 or 7 are very good. 

5 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

The more I think about it,  I’m starting to lean this way too.  One thing is for sure 5A is loaded this year at the top.  As they were last year in the top 4 teams.  This year seems a little bit deeper. Maybe top 6 or 7 are very good. 

I also agree with this, I think Cathedral is a few TD’s better than anyone else in 5A. They are absolute monsters this year. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:09 PM, Olympian06 said:

I also agree with this, I think Cathedral is a few TD’s better than anyone else in 5A. They are absolute monsters this year. 

Maybe. I'm up in the air on Cathedral being 3 touchdowns better than anyone else. Beating Penn 52-7 was an eye opener, especially after Valpo only beat the Kingsmen by 1..........17-16. Thirty two points over a a good Westfield team is pretty impressive too. They've definitely solidified themselves as the team to beat.............no doubting that. 

Bobref? Is Valpo as good as advertised this year? 

Twenty one points over New Pal would mean a turnaround of 46 points. 

I'd like to think Cathedral wouldn't dismantle Dwenger like they did  Penn, and Westfield. I'm willing to bet those teams don't have the defense Dwenger does. I'm not saying they wouldn't be a 14pt favorite over the Saints, just questioning 21 points better than New Pal and Dwenger..........maybe Valpo. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Maybe. I'm up in the air on Cathedral being 3 touchdowns better than anyone else. Beating Penn 52-7 was an eye opener, especially after Valpo only beat the Kingsmen by 1..........17-16. Thirty two points over a a good Westfield team is pretty impressive too. They've definitely solidified themselves as the team to beat.............no doubting that. 

I'd like to think Cathedral wouldn't dismantle Dwenger like they did  Penn, and Westfield. I'm willing to bet those teams don't have the defense Dwenger does. I'm not saying they wouldn't be a 14pt favorite over the Saints, just questioning 21 points better than New Pal and Dwenger..........maybe Valpo. 

Not Bobref, but I watched there entire game against Penn and bits and pieces of the LaPorte game. Based on that sample size, they're pretty similar to last year. Monster lines on both sides of the ball, a defense that's really hard to move the ball against, and an offense that's not very flashy. Against Penn, they played without 2 starters on the OL, one of which is a big Western Michigan commit. They also played the entire 2nd half without the transfer QB from Jeff (Grimes.) I don't think he played against LaPorte either. All I read is he had a leg injury in the 1st half against Penn. Not sure if it's the same leg he injured last year. They returned their leading rusher from last year (Burbee) and have another solid RB in Vinyard. They lost their top 2 WR's from last year. The passing game has been weak. Not sure if it's due to breaking in new WR's or not having Grimes behind Center.

I would probably rate the North currently as: 

1. Dwenger

2. Valpo (Repeating is tough. Could come down to which team makes the long trip on Route 30)

3. North (Great offensive talent, a holding penalty waiting to happen, not a defense I would want to rely on in the playoffs)

4. Harrison (wildcard, IMO)

5. tie between Northrop and Michigan City

I hate to be that guy, but at this point I'm expecting Cathedral to lay a beat-down on whomever makes it out of the North. Cathedral vs. Brownsburg or a rematch with Center Grove in the 6A playoffs would have likely been more appealing to watch.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Not Bobref, but I watched there entire game against Penn and bits and pieces of the LaPorte game. Based on that sample size, they're pretty similar to last year. Monster lines on both sides of the ball, a defense that's really hard to move the ball against, and an offense that's not very flashy. Against Penn, they played without 2 starters on the OL, one of which is a big Western Michigan commit. They also played the entire 2nd half without the transfer QB from Jeff (Grimes.) I don't think he played against LaPorte either. All I read is he had a leg injury in the 1st half against Penn. Not sure if it's the same leg he injured last year. They returned their leading rusher from last year (Burbee) and have another solid RB in Vinyard. They lost their top 2 WR's from last year. The passing game has been weak. Not sure if it's due to breaking in new WR's or not having Grimes behind Center.

I would probably rate the North currently as: 

1. Dwenger

2. Valpo (Repeating is tough. Could come down to which team makes the long trip on Route 30)

3. North (Great offensive talent, a holding penalty waiting to happen, not a defense I would want to rely on in the playoffs)

4. Harrison (wildcard, IMO)

5. tie between Northrop and Michigan City

I hate to be that guy, but at this point I'm expecting Cathedral to lay a beat-down on whomever makes it out of the North. Cathedral vs. Brownsburg or a rematch with Center Grove in the 6A playoffs would have likely been more appealing to watch.

Agree, the home team will win that game.

With all due respect, there aren't many teams in the state that could keep Carroll under 50. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Given NPs inexperienced secondary and still looking for an identity on offense I'd say at this point the Irish are at least 3 TDs better than NP.  That said I think NP will improve a ton and hope to see another Irish v Dragons in the regional in a few months.