Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 6A Thread

Guilty as charged as I got sidetracked in the 5A thread and started talking about 6A.

Usually a pretty "ho hum" group of four (Ben Davis, Carmel, Center Grove, Warren) battling annually.

Can someone (Avon, Brownsburg) from the HCC finally dethrone the top dogs in the MIC?  If so, who has the inside track?

How will the pandemic affect things?  Will if affect some schools more than others?

New hires at Noblesville, HSE and Fishers...

Carmel moving south...  Who replaces them?

Merrillville the north favorite?

Who steps in at QB at Jeff?

Snider. Penn, Elkhart?

What do you say?

Edited by Guest

I think it is CG's to lose this year. My current top 5 6A rankings going into the season would probably be:

1.CG

2. Brownsburg

3. Carmel

4/5. Warren/BD

The south will be an absolute battle this year to make the road to Lucas Oil. Whoever comes out of the north can be thankful for a year with Carmel down south. 

1 hour ago, FridayNightLights said:

I think it is CG's to lose this year. My current top 5 6A rankings going into the season would probably be:

1.CG

2. Brownsburg

3. Carmel

4/5. Warren/BD

The south will be an absolute battle this year to make the road to Lucas Oil. Whoever comes out of the north can be thankful for a year with Carmel down south. 

Interesting that you have Brownsburg 3 and Carmel 4.  Does that mean you will favor the Bulldogs to eliminate Carmel in the sectional?

Center Grove has the best talent in the state.  I dont think we have ever said that about a CG team.  This one appears to be different.

I really like what Im seeing from a resurgent north where all 3 sectors (West/Central/East) are improving.

Elkhart, Warsaw and Carroll are 3 schools that are adding depth and quality to North 6A football.  

CG will get their from the south. It’s up for grabs in the north. I’ll give the upper hand to Penn and Westfield (just a hunch). I think Brownsburg is in a must win state championship situation. They have almost the amount of talent that CG does in my opinion. And they will definitely have pressure to finally get there.

1 hour ago, FridayNightLights said:

1.CG

2. Brownsburg

3. Carmel

4/5. Warren/BD

1. CG

2. Brownsburg

3. Carmel

4. Avon

5. Warren Central

DTs 6A Dandy Dozen Pre Season

1. Center Grove - overwhelming talent everywhere on the roster, in all classes.  Potentially CGs best team ever,  Next year might be even stronger.  

2. Carmel - Hounds have proven that they are now the most consistently strong of the Big 3.  They continue to set the pace in development of D1 players.

3. Warren Central - The Warriors are not what they used to be, but extreme athletic talent in large numbers generally overcomes all else.  

4. Avon - Orioles have gotten all the hype over the past several seasons but have not delivered on the hype.  

5. Brownsburg - Seems like they have developed a habit of losing "the big game."  Need to get over the hump.  John Hart has been a wanderer over hjis career and time may be running short for him to deliver in The Burg.

6. FW Snider - Lots of optimism heading in to this season.  

7. Homestead - Right on Sniders heels

8. Ben Davis - The Giants are not so big and scary anymore

9. Merrillville - Brad Seiss has the Pirates humming and loaded for bear

10. Columbus East 

11. Penn - the slide continues in The Kingdom.

12. North Central - Opportunity for the Panthers to show they belong in this conversation.

Edited by DT

32 minutes ago, DT said:

1. Center Grove - overwhelming talent everywhere on the roster, in all classes.  Potentially CGs best team ever,  Next year might be even stronger.  

2. Carmel - Hounds have proven that they are now the most consistently strong of the Big 3.  They continue to set the pace in development of D1 players.

3. Warren Central - The Warriors are not what they used to be, but extreme athletic talent in large numbers generally overcomes all else.  

4. Avon - Orioles have gotten all the hype over the past several seasons but have not delivered on the hype.  

5. Brownsburg - Seems like they have developed a habit of losing "the big game."  Need to get over the hump.  John Hart has been a wanderer over hjis career and time may be running short for him to deliver in The Burg.

10. Columbus East 

12. North Central - Opportunity for the Panthers to show they belong in this conversation.

Can’t really disagree on much here though I think you are underselling BD/NC slightly.

Even non “big/bad” Ben Davis is still superior to the Fort Wayne schools in my opinion.  

Based on performance at the lower levels, talent and recent seasons, I would put CG as a favorite. Warren, BD, Carmel are in the mix as always. Very few of the other schools have shown they are even competitive. North Central is the sleeper. They beat both Carmel and CG last year, but have to get past WC first. They haven't been able to do that.

The biggest Covid question is what happens when a player or coach tests positive? Will the team be quarantined from football and/or school? Very few will have access to any testing. What happens to their recent opponent(s)? That could end up being part of the tracing. Other than sending the kid home, will they even be required to report it?

3 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Can’t really disagree on much here though I think you are underselling BD/NC slightly.

Even non “big/bad” Ben Davis is still superior to the Fort Wayne schools in my opinion.  

Your HCC looks weak in this initial ranking.  

The conference seems to have risen and suddenly stagnated.  Fishers and HSE are treading water.  FC is a mystery.  Still not sure they belong.  WF and ZV are competitive but rarely elite.  The HCC could use a shot in the arm from the farmboys in Nobletucky.  

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Interesting that you have Brownsburg 3 and Carmel 4.  Does that mean you will favor the Bulldogs to eliminate Carmel in the sectional?

Brownsburg will/should be the best team in that sectional, but as we all know anything can happen on Friday nights. I think from a talent standpoint Burg and CG will have the two best teams in the state. Doesn't always equate to a championship. 

Edited by FridayNightLights

27 minutes ago, DT said:

Your HCC looks weak in this initial ranking.  

The conference seems to have risen and suddenly stagnated.  Fishers and HSE are treading water.  FC is a mystery.  Still not sure they belong.  WF and ZV are competitive but rarely elite.  The HCC could use a shot in the arm from the farmboys in Nobletucky.  

Not “my” HCC.  I sang their praises last September and admitted I was wrong in November.

Can’t justify putting the top dogs of the HCC ahead of the big three in the MIC until I see it.  Your rankings are spot on for the top 5.

Brownsburg and Avon have now climbed the BD mountain (which we both agree is not as steep as it used to be)...will be interesting to see if they can take the next step this year.

Still never took my bet on Noblesville.  I gave you the over on 4.5 wins.  Booster donation on the line.  Taking it?

They've been your champions of the offseason two summers running now...

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Not “my” HCC.  I sang their praises last September and admitted I was wrong in November.

Can’t justify putting the top dogs of the HCC ahead of the big three in the MIC until I see it.  Your rankings are spot on for the top 5.

Brownsburg and Avon have now climbed the BD mountain (which we both agree is not as steep as it used to be)...will be interesting to see if they can take the next step this year.

Still never took my bet on Noblesville.  I gave you the over on 4.5 wins.  Booster donation on the line.  Taking it?

They've been your champions of the offseason two summers running now...

In my view, Justin Roden really let down the Noblesville program.  Everybody wins at East Central due to the relatively small, meek and weak local competition, so Roden sold NHS a bill of goods and never delivered on his promise of a total program rebuild.

I believe Coach Sharpe will come thru and deliver for the Millers.

I think the staff squeezes 5 wins out of this team and I take the bet.  You're on!

Edited by DT

8 minutes ago, DT said:

In my view, Justin Roden really let down the Noblesville program.  Everybody wins at East Central due to the relatively small, meek and weak local competition, so Roden sold NHS a bill of goods and never delivered on his promise of a total program rebuild.

I believe Coach Sharpe will come thru and deliver for the Millers.

I think the staff squeezes 5 wins out of this team and I take the bet.  You're on!

Looking at their schedule I see 2-4 wins. Sectionals won't have a chance for a "good draw" either. Gotta hope for a couple upsets

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

10. Columbus East 

Penn has went to semi state or state 5 times in the last 7 years. If thats a slide. Sign me up. 

Edited by TheStatGuy

14 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Penn has went to semi state or state 5 times in the last 7 years. If thats a slide. Sign me up. 

Similar to dominating a mid major conference annually in basketball.  Congrats.

Out of the Northeast.............Snider, Homestead, and Carroll.

Snider will be out for blood this year after dropping games to both Homestead and Carroll last year. They seem to be a bit of a mystery to me though. On one hand I can see them bowing out of the sectionals for the second year in a row after a string of 12 straight championships. On the other hand, well, they are still Snider. They could perhaps put together a team that can rumble with the Indy big boys. Never count out Tippmann/Isaacs/Bush.

Don't sleep on Carroll. In fact, I have them as the early favorite to win the SAC and upend Snider in the sectionals for a second year in a row. They have a good quarterback and a great core of receivers returning. Snider's weakness is typically their pass defense. Carroll could exploit that............again.

Homestead took a big hit when Luke Goode decided to hang up his cleats on the gridiron  to focus on Baskeball and his commitment to Illinois. He would have been one of the best 3 or 4 quarterbacks in the state. The Spartans always seem to reload at the quarterback position though. And with the return of Braeden Hardwick, they could make some noise. Homestead was one of the best teams in the state last year when he was healthy.  I'm going to go with a 3rd or 4th place finish in the loaded SAC (loaded at the top) this year.

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

6 hours ago, DT said:

10. Columbus East 

I personally feel you could put Lawrence North in this mix as they have some serious offensive talent for this year. However, they still need to prove they can win consistently

20 hours ago, Temptation said:

I agree with your take on Brownsburg and Avon in the 5A Thread. These two walk with a big stick, but still can't get over the MIC hump in the playoffs. Well, more so Avon. Brownsburg can't get around themselves when they do finally beat Avon in the playoffs. 

Brownsburg once again opens with Ben Davis and St. X. Avon has LN and Ben Davis. Solid opening tests for both programs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I agree with your take on Brownsburg and Avon in the 5A Thread. These two walk with a big stick, but still can't get over the MIC hump in the playoffs. Well, more so Avon. Brownsburg can't get around themselves when they do finally beat Avon in the playoffs. 

Brownsburg once again opens with Ben Davis and St. X. Avon has LN and Ben Davis. Solid opening tests for both programs.

Here’s the thing though.  We’ve seen that Avon and Brownsburg can hang in August and September.  Even if they both start 2-0 many folks will still have pause and a “wait and see” attitude (rightfully so).

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Here’s the thing though.  We’ve seen that Avon and Brownsburg can hang in August and September.  Even if they both start 2-0 many folks will still have pause and a “wait and see” attitude (rightfully so).

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Brownsburg has 5 players in the Indiana Top 45 in the Class of 2021.

All 5 are offensive players.

The staff at BB is too focused on offense, and a lack of defensive personnel, toughness and scheme betray them in the playoffs.  That is on John Hart.  

19 minutes ago, DT said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Brownsburg has 5 players in the Indiana Top 45 in the Class of 2021.

All 5 are offensive players.

The staff at BB is too focused on offense, and a lack of defensive personnel, toughness and scheme betray them in the playoffs.  That is on John Hart.  

Interesting theory.  Can’t honestly say I disagree.

11 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

That's a terrible post. 

Yet accurate.  They’ve been embarrassed on the big stage multiple times once they’ve gotten the opportunity to prove themselves...going on nearly two decades now.

Football is a numbers game and Penn’s enrollment comparative to other schools in 5A/6A North has given them a false sense of security.  Their days of bullying their way to red rings annually are over.

Elkhart will be interesting to watch, Merrillville, Snider, Carroll and Homestead have closed the gap as has Jefferson and eventually Valpo will be 6A annually which should provide a challenge.

Better hope Carmel stays south...

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Better hope Carmel stays south...

Certainly makes the road easier for northern powers Penn , Snider, or whoever comes out of the Duneland.  

Some on here will call BS, but I prefer the Greyhounds stay north. The regional will be less interesting without them there. I will miss the Snider/Carmel match-up. Lopsided as far as wins and losses go? Sure. But very competitive games nonetheless. 

• Like 1