Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

On 7/30/2020 at 8:17 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Any word out of Linton?  Haven't heard anything this year except for a 2 minute chat with Coach Oliver at a Miner basketball game last winter.  King Tut?  You got anything?

I don't know much.  Of course we graduated 17 seniors from last year's team and that is  lot for a small school.  JV was pretty good last year so there will be some quality replacements.  Two starters from last year have chosen not to come out. A three year starter on the defensive line and a two year starter at DB.  All the backfield except the QB will be new.  The top two receivers are also gone.  So I really don't know what to expect for this year.  Scrimmage at home against Bosse two weeks from tomorrow.  First two games on the road at Southridge and Sullivan will answer some questions.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sports Fan said:

Sectional 34 is interesting.  Cass won it last year, but doesn't bring back as much this year.  LaVille was their Sectional Final opponent, but not hearing much about how good they will be this year.  Rochester still figuring out how to get past the first round from what I can tell.  Pioneer with two really good athletes, but some say they have an unproven line.  Bremen looks to be improved after playing youngsters last year.  Delphi, Manchester, and Wabash getting no love at all, and I do not know much about any of the three.  This could be an interesting Sectional.  The draw could be a heavy influence here.

Just to throw this out there . . .  2 teams in this sectional open against each other in 2020.

Bremen at LaVIlle, August 21

If it happens, we will all get an early season look at how good Bremen and LaVille could be.

Bremen was young and gained valuable experience last year.  Sophomore QB threw for almost 1,000 yards, Senior to be rushed for nearly 600 yards, a TD, and one 100+ rushing game. Senior to be top receiver was a little over 300 yards receiving and three TD catches.Defense had eight picks and two recoveries and gave up 28 points per game and held two teams to one score or less.

LaVille returns a QB that threw for over 1,000 yards and 10TDs with 7 INTs.  Top runner (nearly 500 yards and 9 TDs and one 100+ rushing game) / pass receiver (nearly 500 yards and 5 TD catches) is dangerous.  Graduated eight seniors, including 1,000 yard rusher and three receivers with nearly 200 yards each from a squad that advanced to the sectional championship.  Top tackler back for senior season for a defense that collected 15 sacks, 12 INTs, and 8 recoveries for a defense that allowed 11 points per game and held six teams to score one time or less.

LaVille did win the 2019 week one contest last year at Bremen before winning a second round sectional game at LaVille.

Neighborhood rivalry on the line.  Both want to start the season off right and build momentum for hopefully a full season.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

1 minute ago, Sports Fan said:

And make that two more teams from Sectional 34 meet in week one when Pioneer plays at Lewis Cass.  Again, this could be an interesting match-up to start the season.

Is Pioneer gonna even be able to play week one? They had 3 players test positive. 

Edited by TheStatGuy

1 minute ago, Sports Fan said:

I read that same article.  My best guess is that they will be able to play.  Kind of a wait and see approach, and this may be how the entire year looks.

Do you have to have a required amount of practices to have a scrimmage? 

They are 1 more test positive away from not having a scrimmage and putting game 1 in jeopardy. 

20 hours ago, kingtut said:

I don't know much.  Of course we graduated 17 seniors from last year's team and that is  lot for a small school.  JV was pretty good last year so there will be some quality replacements.  Two starters from last year have chosen not to come out. A three year starter on the defensive line and a two year starter at DB.  All the backfield except the QB will be new.  The top two receivers are also gone.  So I really don't know what to expect for this year.  Scrimmage at home against Bosse two weeks from tomorrow.  First two games on the road at Southridge and Sullivan will answer some questions.

Thanks for the info Tut.  Sounds like a rebuilding year.  Those don't happen too often in Linton.  Didn't realize there was so many seniors.  I knew the QB was coming back because Coach Oliver told me.

4 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Thanks for the info Tut.  Sounds like a rebuilding year.  Those don't happen too often in Linton.  Didn't realize there was so many seniors.  I knew the QB was coming back because Coach Oliver told me.

Linton doesn't rebuild. They reload

3 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Linton doesn't rebuild. They reload

Yes, I've followed the Miners since 1998.  That is usually true about them reloading most years, but this year it sounds (to me)  like a rebuild.  Sounds like way too many losses (player wise) this year.  A big senior class is around 11 or 12, but 17?  That's a lot!

24 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Do you have to have a required amount of practices to have a scrimmage? 

They are 1 more test positive away from not having a scrimmage and putting game 1 in jeopardy. 

They are back to practice 8/3. They’ve been shut down since 7/21. They’ll be ready for Cass week 1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yes, I've followed the Miners since 1998.  That is usually true about them reloading most years, but this year it sounds (to me)  like a rebuild.  Sounds like way too many losses (player wise) this year.  A big senior class is around 11 or 12, but 17?  That's a lot!

As you know, Linton is playing a much stronger schedule now than they played a few years ago.  An inexperienced group could still post an impressive W/L record against the teams we were playing.  Not many "show up and win" games on the schedule now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kingtut said:

As you know, Linton is playing a much stronger schedule now than they played a few years ago.  An inexperienced group could still post an impressive W/L record against the teams we were playing.  Not many "show up and win" games on the schedule now.

Yeah the schedule is much tougher than it used to be.  Not many "easy" games on there like there used to be.  But those were days when the Miners could go 8 - 1 or 9 - 0 but not get far in the tournament some years.  I like the tougher schedule.  They aren't getting out of the sectional yet, but they are no longer in 1A either so the competition is tougher in the tournament, too.

Edited by itiswhatitis