Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Region contenders

I found this thread true and funny.  Typical Andrean.

I think the region has 4 solid contenders this year

6a Merrillvillle- they bring alot back to a solid squad. Also getting 2 D1 transfers helps a bit.

5a Valpo... Same story. They bring alot back, plus the edition of the transfer qb from Jeff.

4a Hobart... Hobart brings back a lot from last years team. Couple D1 prospects, size, and speed. NO NEW TRANSFERS

2A Andrean... as is typical. Andrean lands the starting qb from Marian Catholic in Illinois. This along with the addition of another recruit in a 6'5" 315 OT from Mt Carmel should make them a formidable 2a team. They also bring back alot. Still early, may land more recruits..

Thoughts?

the OT from Mt Carmel was there last year but hurt his shoulder in summer session and was out for the entire year, but he has been at Andrean now going on 2nd year 

I see a theme there of 3 of the 4 teams receiving "transfers"   

I stopped caring about where kids are going to school long ago.   

Look forward to the challenge of attempting to knock off the 59ers, last year was quite the track meet  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

the OT from Mt Carmel was there last year but hurt his shoulder in summer session and was out for the entire year, but he has been at Andrean now going on 2nd year 

Look forward to the challenge of attempting to knock off the 59ers, last year wras quite the track meet  

Fun game to watch, neither defense could stop the other offense... take those fumbles away and that would have probably been a wild finish!
Anxious to see how Valpo/mville game goes, Hobart/Andrean could be a doozy too. Will Lowell be a player this year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Fun game to watch, neither defense could stop the other offense... take those fumbles away and that would have probably been a wild finish!
Anxious to see how Valpo/mville game goes, Hobart/Andrean could be a doozy too. Will Lowell be a player this year?

The Red Devils are always a solid team. One of the top programs in the area, year in and year out.  I'd venture they've earned the right to be considered a contender.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

The Red Devils are always a solid team. One of the top programs in the area, year in and year out.  I'd venture they've earned the right to be considered a contender.

Yea that’s why I was asking. Not sure what all they have coming back. I’m also anxious to see how highland and KV are in year 3 with current head coaches

DTs Dandy Dozen - Region Style

1. Merrillville - The Pirates are back.  Brad Siess is in charge, and The U of M is loaded.  They put Valpo back in their place this year.

2. Valpo - Solid #2.  Big and strong w D1 guys on both lines.  Dont think they run with the Bucs this time though.

3. Andrean - Quiet rebuild comes full circle year for the 59ers.  They are a 5A team playing little boy post season football.  Too bad.

4. Chesterton -Nobody notices that The Cheeseheads are improving significantly.  Big school.  Lots of kids.  Getting better

5. MIchigan City - Not what they were but still solid in every aspect.

6. Hobart - Time for the Bricks to win when it counts.  This is it.

7. Crown Point - They will compete and challenge every week despite lack of individual talent.

8. Laporte - The Pumpkinheads have too much pride and desire to drop any further down this list 

9. Lowell - Region has caught up to Lowell a bit in past few seasons.  Dont see that trend changing.  

10. Morton - Govs proudly rep the Hammond-East Chicago-Gary Rust Belt.  

11. Portage - The loss of Radtke cuts deeply for the Red Indians.

12. Lake Central - LC is the biggest school in NWI.  Time to start acting like it.  

Edited by DT

58 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Yea that’s why I was asking. Not sure what all they have coming back. I’m also anxious to see how highland and KV are in year 3 with current head coaches

My son will be a senior at Lowell which means I have been seeing this particular class evolve from little kids playing Pop Warner 12 years ago into full grown men.  I can't surmise what will happen, but I think good things will be happening at the Inferno this fall.

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Look forward to the challenge of attempting to knock off the 59ers, last year was quite the track meet  

Correct me if I’m wrong but with Andrean’s dramatic drop in enrollment all the way down to 414 students, could they be eyeballing 1A football in the near future?

Edited by Spock
Forgot to submit my post

17 minutes ago, Spock said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but with Andrean’s dramatic drop in enrollment all the way down to 414 students, could they be eyeballing 1A football in the near future?

Andrean will be building a new school in the rapidly growing Crown Point area in the near future.  Enrollment will rebound as this will be a huge investment for the Gary Archdiocese.  The future of Region Catholicism may very well depend on this new investment.

Look for Andrean to return to solid 3A status in the next 7 to 10 years, with an eye on 4A as the primary objective.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/ct-ptb-andrean-new-school-st-20181207-story.html

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

With a little digging...

Lowell: QB returns with a slew of RBs.

Highland: Stud RB/FB/LB Rios is back.

KV: QB returns for a third campaign.

I'd guess that the week six clash of Andrean/Hobart will decide the conference championship.

Lowell/KV/Highland in the middle looking to play spoiler.

Munster bringing up the rear.

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know the kid—solid dude.

20 hours ago, Spock said:

They were very close 2 years ago, yes, but I would suspect they will be closer to the 3a line after this year and as @DT stated the new school they will be building will be now pulling more kids IMO from northern Jasper/Newton counties along with Lake and West Porter county.   

Boone Grove has been a benefactor recently of Lake of 4 Seasons and Winfield sections of CP as many of those families rather send their kids to Boone Grove than driving 20-25 mins from that area to Crown Point HS.   500 some kids vs 2800 some kids.   I do not blame those families at all and if I lived closer to Winfield I would think about it myself for my daughter, however, we are VERY happy to be in CP school district for obvious reasons.  

20 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

With a little digging...

Lowell: QB returns with a slew of RBs.

Highland: Stud RB/FB/LB Rios is back.

KV: QB returns for a third campaign.

I'd guess that the week six clash of Andrean/Hobart will decide the conference championship.

Lowell/KV/Highland in the middle looking to play spoiler.

Munster bringing up the rear.

Eli Carden of KV will only be in his 2nd year starting.    Wade Williams still was playing QB when Carden was Sophomore all the way up until I think the playoff game of Carden SOPH year 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

They were very close 2 years ago, yes, but I would suspect they will be closer to the 3a line after this year and as @DT stated the new school they will be building will be now pulling more kids IMO from northern Jasper/Newton counties along with Lake and West Porter county.   

Boone Grove has been a benefactor recently of Lake of 4 Seasons and Winfield sections of CP as many of those families rather send their kids to Boone Grove than driving 20-25 mins from that area to Crown Point HS.   500 some kids vs 2800 some kids.   I do not blame those families at all and if I lived closer to Winfield I would think about it myself for my daughter, however, we are VERY happy to be in CP school district for obvious reasons.  

Eli Carden of KV will only be in his 2nd year starting.    Wade Williams still was playing QB when Carden was Sophomore all the way up until I think the playoff game of Carden SOPH year 

Carden started the playoff game vs. SB St. Joe.  1 play.  Then Williams took over.  KV got down big.  SBSJ began subbing.  Carden then entered the game at QB and began throwing the ball about every down to Williams against the 2nd/3rd string CBs.  SBSJ said enough, put their starting DB back in to guard Williams at WR and completely shut it down.  Game over.  SBSJ rolled.  The score was not indicative of the domination by SBSJ that game.

As an Irish fan, was pretty cool to see Brian Kelly in Wheatfield.  Once in a lifetime opportunity.