Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Scrimmages 2020

I realize there might already be a thread about this, but I felt it was important to start a new one as the talk has ramped up and the start to football is getting closer.

As the guidelines by the state and IHSAA has stated, the Friday date of the scrimmages this year will fall under the no fans allowed phase. The next day, Saturday, fans will be allowed to attend. There has been talks of whether or not to move the scrimmages to the Saturday to allow fans. 

In my opinion, this would be a mistake from teams to do this. Scrimmages on that Friday are supposed to be a practice game that culminates all factors of a normal gameday experience. Going to school all day, after school meal, getting body and mind ready, then playing your game. By moving to Saturday, players and coaches do not get to practice this. Also, having a scrimmage on Saturday eliminates another day of preparation for week 1, shortens the week down, maybe not a chance to watch the game film from the scrimmage. Not to mention if there is an injury or a banged up player, one less day to heal for the big opener of week 1. 
I get that fans and family want to watch the scrimmage, but for the overall team aspect and preparation it only hurts. 

I saw where CG and Avon are sticking to their Friday scrimmage with no fans. I also got news that Warren Central and Carmel have called off their scrimmage because Warren did not wish to scrimmage on Saturday At Carmel. They will now scrimmage themselves on that Friday. These are Smart moves by these programs and other teams should take note.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I realize there might already be a thread about this, but I felt it was important to start a new one as the talk has ramped up and the start to football is getting closer.

As the guidelines by the state and IHSAA has stated, the Friday date of the scrimmages this year will fall under the no fans allowed phase. The next day, Saturday, fans will be allowed to attend. There has been talks of whether or not to move the scrimmages to the Saturday to allow fans. 

In my opinion, this would be a mistake from teams to do this. Scrimmages on that Friday are supposed to be a practice game that culminates all factors of a normal gameday experience. Going to school all day, after school meal, getting body and mind ready, then playing your game. By moving to Saturday, players and coaches do not get to practice this. Also, having a scrimmage on Saturday eliminates another day of preparation for week 1, shortens the week down, maybe not a chance to watch the game film from the scrimmage. Not to mention if there is an injury or a banged up player, one less day to heal for the big opener of week 1. 
I get that fans and family want to watch the scrimmage, but for the overall team aspect and preparation it only hurts. 

I saw where CG and Avon are sticking to their Friday scrimmage with no fans. I also got news that Warren Central and Carmel have called off their scrimmage because Warren did not wish to scrimmage on Saturday At Carmel. They will now scrimmage themselves on that Friday. These are Smart moves by these programs and other teams should take note.

rosters of 80-130 I am sure its easy to hold their own inter squad scrimmage

If we have a roster of 50, having a inter squad is not feasible to have a productive experience.   Roster of 50, say 15 are Freshman, leaves 35,  of those 35, maybe on average 20 could be ready to go against varsity caliber players, even if you made it as even as possible.   From a smaller school perspective, I need the scrimmage especially this year with no summer competition days to gauge your team. 

• Like 2

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336227/21-clemson-football-players-positive-covid-19-latest-testing?fbclid=IwAR15r_n8K4JC6T98ZwS5f-38xLikZWS1s6-97JCbFX-hBFEq54MZOTaJDXI

Im starting to think we won't have sports in general at HS level this year at all.. And starting to think school won't return either. 

Edited by TheStatGuy
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 2

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

rosters of 80-130 I am sure its easy to hold their own inter squad scrimmage

If we have a roster of 50, having a inter squad is not feasible to have a productive experience.   Roster of 50, say 15 are Freshman, leaves 35,  of those 35, maybe on average 20 could be ready to go against varsity caliber players, even if you made it as even as possible.   From a smaller school perspective, I need the scrimmage especially this year with no summer competition days to gauge your team. 

I never said all teams need inter squad scrimmages. I’m saying that’s just what Warren decided to do. I just think for teams to be smart and have their scrimmages on Friday with no fans

1 hour ago, TheStatGuy said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336227/21-clemson-football-players-positive-covid-19-latest-testing?fbclid=IwAR15r_n8K4JC6T98ZwS5f-38xLikZWS1s6-97JCbFX-hBFEq54MZOTaJDXI

Im starting to think we won't have sports in general at HS level this year at all.. And starting to think school won't return either. 

From the article - 2 players tested positive when the team returned to campus TWO weeks ago. This week, 21 more tested positive. It almost makes you wonder what happened last Saturday that is conspicuously missing from the article.

https://amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/3182532001

I am getting the feeling the pressure for schools to start on time AND for football to start on time is VERY high. I am hopeful that we are safely able to do so. I am not 100% confident we will be able to; but I do not think the final decisions will be based on what is the safest approach to starting either, but will be more political and/or financial. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Are you collecting unemployment or something and not wanting to go back to work?  Always saying won't be sports.    300 and some people tested positive for covid today.    Holy s#>#     there will be sports in fall and school.    Get over it.    

• Like 1
  • Disdain 3

9 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

I never said all teams need inter squad scrimmages. I’m saying that’s just what Warren decided to do. I just think for teams to be smart and have their scrimmages on Friday with no fans

You stated that they are making smart moves and other teams should take note,  all I did was outline a scenario where that would not make sense 

46 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

You stated that they are making smart moves and other teams should take note,  all I did was outline a scenario where that would not make sense 

Teams should take note on scrimmaging on Friday the 14th with no fans rather than Saturday with fans

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

From the article - 2 players tested positive when the team returned to campus TWO weeks ago. This week, 21 more tested positive. It almost makes you wonder what happened last Saturday that is conspicuously missing from the article.

https://amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/3182532001

Conspicuously? There's no proof that any of the people that tested positive were at that protest... So why would they bring that up?

Way to assume though. 

Edited by TheStatGuy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

Are you collecting unemployment or something and not wanting to go back to work?  Always saying won't be sports.    300 and some people tested positive for covid today.    Holy s#>#     there will be sports in fall and school.    Get over it.    

Nope. 

Im just a guy currently doing work for cash while also being my moms primary caregiver while she battles stage 4 stomach cancer... So next time you want to judge me, you might want to know my story there boss. 

And all I said was, im starting to think we won't.

I didn't say there's no way we wont, or we for sure will. It depends on Covid 19.. Not on us. Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina have been seeing upticks for weeks, whats to say Indiana won't start that trend too? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Teams should take note on scrimmaging on Friday the 14th with no fans rather than Saturday with fans

Some athletic programs might need that gate  and concessions especially  if they reduce number that can attend games and what can be sold at concessions.  I would guess most schools depend on football and Basketball to fund other sports and extra curriculars. Schools probably saved some money with the cancelation of Spring sports but still reduced gate in football would have to hit some athletic departments hard.

I would guess a Heritage Hills Jasper  scrimmage would likely be the largest crowd for a scrimmage ever at HH because the 2 big rivals wont play in the regular season for the 1st time since 2000.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

😂 Love it 77. 

6 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Nope. 

Im just a guy currently doing work for cash while also being my moms primary caregiver while she battles stage 4 stomach cancer... So next time you want to judge me, you might want to know my story there boss. 

And all I said was, im starting to think we won't.

I didn't say there's no way we wont, or we for sure will. It depends on Covid 19.. Not on us. Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina have been seeing upticks for weeks, whats to say Indiana won't start that trend too? 

Does the IRS know?

7 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Conspicuously? There's no proof that any of the people that tested positive were at that protest... So why would they bring that up?

Way to assume though. 

“Football players” tested positive and “football players” organized and attended a 3,000 person event last weekend. All that is left is assumption since it was not specifically mentioned.

Of which, neither event has to do with scrimmages on 8/14. 

I think I would prefer the rhythm/routine aspect of Friday night as opposed to Saturday. Unless a vaccine is discovered 8/14 and distributed the morning of 8/15, it shows how arbitrary these dates are anyway. 

Wash your hands. Wear a mask. Play football. 

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

“Football players” tested positive and “football players” organized and attended a 3,000 person event last weekend. All that is left is assumption since it was not specifically mentioned.

I think I would prefer the rhythm/routine aspect of Friday night as opposed to Saturday. Unless a vaccine is discovered 8/14 and distributed the morning of 8/15, it shows how arbitrary these dates are anyway. 

Way we have played last couple of rain outs to Saturday Morning game, I am thinking about getting ours moved to Saturday Morning at 10 a.m!!  🤣  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Again .. 

Conspicuously? There's no proof that any of the people that tested positive were at that protest... So why would they bring that up?

• Thanks 1

Yes, the IRS knows... Jokes on you. 

What joke?  I asked a question. See you 8/14. 

Again .. 

Conspicuously? There's no proof that any of the people that tested positive were at that protest... So why would they bring that up?

Again, if people can loot, riot, and protest, the 🇺🇸 sure as heck is going to move on with our lives. See you 8/14. 

13 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

What joke?  I asked a question. See you 8/14. 

Again, if people can loot, riot, and protest, the 🇺🇸 sure as heck is going to move on with our lives. See you 8/14. 

Ignorance is bliss.

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Way we have played last couple of rain outs to Saturday Morning game, I am thinking about getting ours moved to Saturday Morning at 10 a.m!!  🤣  

I would take a Saturday morning scrimmage over Saturday night personally.

I seem to remember a lot of Saturday morning scrimmages the late 90’s/ early 00’s - right after the jamboree format was changed and 9th game added. But maybe that was just my alma Mater. 

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I seem to remember a lot of Saturday morning scrimmages the late 90’s/ early 00’s - right after the jamboree format was changed and 9th game added. But maybe that was just my alma Mater. 

We don’t have to worry about this...

3830A773-6BCE-4984-A0EA-6C204434B765.jpeg

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but there are a couple things that are confusing, with this coming season being my 27th season coaching. As far as the Saturday scrimmages, the rules have never changed. Once the official practice date arrives, there are no scrimmages or practices allowed between different teams. That dates back to the jamboree era, even when I played. Also, there was never a 9th game added. When we went to the all in format, back in 1985, , the 10th game was dropped From the schedule so the season could still end on Thanksgiving weekend. Dropping to 9 games allowed for the extra round needed in the playoffs. That was the same year that the 5th class was added. 

• Like 1