Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Scrimmages 2020

43 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but there are a couple things that are confusing, with this coming season being my 27th season coaching. As far as the Saturday scrimmages, the rules have never changed. Once the official practice date arrives, there are no scrimmages or practices allowed between different teams. That dates back to the jamboree era, even when I played. Also, there was never a 9th game added. When we went to the all in format, back in 1985, , the 10th game was dropped From the schedule so the season could still end on Thanksgiving weekend. Dropping to 9 games allowed for the extra round needed in the playoffs. That was the same year that the 5th class was added. 

You said " As far as the Saturday scrimmages, the rules have never changed. Once the official practice date arrives, there are no scrimmages or practices allowed between different teams" IHSAA Bylaws 54-4 and 54-6 disagree with that statement. 

54-4 All organized football Practices by players or teams shall be limited to the period beginning Monday of IHSAA calendar week 5 and terminating on the date the team is eliminated from the Football Tournament Series.

54-6 A School may schedule one football Controlled Scrimmage with another IHSAA member School. A football Controlled Scrimmage between IHSAA member Schools shall be permitted on Friday or Saturday, Week 6. A football Controlled Scrimmage does not count as a Practice or as an interschool Contest. A football Controlled Scrimmage may not be scouted by anyone not     affiliated with a team participating in the football Controlled Scrimmage.

You also said Also, there was never a 9th game added. In 1996 (and for several years before that) no high school team in the state of Indiana played more than 8 regular season games. Since  1997 most teams played 9 regular season games. Please explain. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sr1 said:

You said " As far as the Saturday scrimmages, the rules have never changed. Once the official practice date arrives, there are no scrimmages or practices allowed between different teams" IHSAA Bylaws 54-4 and 54-6 disagree with that statement. 

54-4 All organized football Practices by players or teams shall be limited to the period beginning Monday of IHSAA calendar week 5 and terminating on the date the team is eliminated from the Football Tournament Series.

54-6 A School may schedule one football Controlled Scrimmage with another IHSAA member School. A football Controlled Scrimmage between IHSAA member Schools shall be permitted on Friday or Saturday, Week 6. A football Controlled Scrimmage does not count as a Practice or as an interschool Contest. A football Controlled Scrimmage may not be scouted by anyone not     affiliated with a team participating in the football Controlled Scrimmage.

You also said Also, there was never a 9th game added. In 1996 (and for several years before that) no high school team in the state of Indiana played more than 8 regular season games. Since  1997 most teams played 9 regular season games. Please explain. 

Thanks for clarifying those SR....memory gets a bit foggy after all that time. :) As far as the scrimmage goes, I did intend to say outside of the controlled scrimmage. The post I responded to made it sound as if multiple Saturdays were spent scrimmaging other teams. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Thanks for clarifying those SR....memory gets a bit foggy after all that time. 🙂 As far as the scrimmage goes, I did intend to say outside of the controlled scrimmage. The post I responded to made it sound as if multiple Saturdays were spent scrimmaging other teams. 

I will concede I am a poor communicator at times. But my memory is not foggy.

Thanks for clarifying SR1. In fall 1996 it was one jamboree, 8 regular season games and playoffs. Fall of 97, the jamboree was scrapped and a ninth regular season game was added.

My HS played its first controlled scrimmage Fall 97. It was played on a Saturday in Fall 97 and on Saturday in Fall 1998 as well.

I will admit I do not know what other HS teams did for their controlled scrimmages in 97 and 98. I thought there were other schools also doing Saturday mornings since it was a relatively new concept. Which is why I said ‘perhaps it was just my Alma Mater.’

7 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I will concede I am a poor communicator at times. But my memory is not foggy.

Thanks for clarifying SR1. In fall 1996 it was one jamboree, 8 regular season games and playoffs. Fall of 97, the jamboree was scrapped and a ninth regular season game was added.

My HS played its first controlled scrimmage Fall 97. It was played on a Saturday in Fall 97 and on Saturday in Fall 1998 as well.

I will admit I do not know what other HS teams did for their controlled scrimmages in 97 and 98. I thought there were other schools also doing Saturday mornings since it was a relatively new concept. Which is why I said ‘perhaps it was just my Alma Mater.’

My HS, Lake Central, began our controlled scrimmage (scrapping the former jamboree) in the fall of 1995. That was my senior season. 

My HS years (fall season depicted here) 92, 93, 94, all had jamborees. We would annually travel to Munster and play Highland and Munster. The 4th team was Bishop Noll. In those 3 years, I do not recall ever facing Noll at the Jamboree. 

In 1995, we began our controlled scrimmage. We faced Valparaiso. This was before LC joined the DAC. The 2 schools would continue to scrimmage each other the week before the regular season kicked off. I know LC scrimmages Andrean now and Valpo scrimmages Hobart. 

In 95 we scrimmaged at Valpo on a Saturday morning. I do not recall if that was planned or moved due to weather. In 94 our jamboree was scheduled for Friday, but moved to Saturday BC of storms.