Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

July 6th - Maybe??

As the death rates continue to plummet and cases continue to rise. How long until this is an acceptable sickness and written off as normal. Most of these cases are no symptoms and cases with symptoms of all ages are much milder. Look at the numbers. The proof is in the pudding

56 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

As the death rates continue to plummet and cases continue to rise. How long until this is an acceptable sickness and written off as normal. Most of these cases are no symptoms and cases with symptoms of all ages are much milder. Look at the numbers. The proof is in the pudding

How long?  Weeks AGO!

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

HS football teams are going to have cases.  Kids will move in and out of quarantine and all will be fine.  It's the teachers, coaches and administrators over 40 I worry about.

Why over 40? The 40 to 49 age group death rate in Indiana is 00.6% (Likely actually much lower if the asymptomatic "unknown" covid cases could somehow be determined and folded into the statistics). 

16 hours ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Why over 40? The 40 to 49 age group death rate in Indiana is 00.6% (Likely actually much lower if the asymptomatic "unknown" covid cases could somehow be determined and folded into the statistics). 

Not much science in my response.  My methodology was using this data that is a little stale now (June 3rd).  I picked 40 because it was kind of in the middle of the jump to 3 percent estimated relative risk of death from COVID-19.  

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covid-19-what-the-data-tells-us-3a08e42ee36f

image.thumb.png.570241adbee763586a2839dce148313f.png

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Not much science in my response.  My methodology was using this data that is a little stale now (June 3rd).  I picked 40 because it was kind of in the middle of the jump to 3 percent estimated relative risk of death from COVID-19.  

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covid-19-what-the-data-tells-us-3a08e42ee36f

image.thumb.png.570241adbee763586a2839dce148313f.png

Not trying to pick a fight-the value of that graph is a bit of a head scratcher for me.  

I bet both of us are hoping that all the statistics point toward a great complete season by the time mid-August rolls around. 

• Like 1

The Belmont County issue in OH is a concern.......that county had gotten their cases down to 0........then the high school group took off to SC and returned, and have now posted 17 cases........all high school kids........17 players on any HS can create some real issues..........it's a possible reality all programs will have to deal with......our new normal will be interesting

1 hour ago, cw13 said:

The Belmont County issue in OH is a concern.......that county had gotten their cases down to 0........then the high school group took off to SC and returned, and have now posted 17 cases........all high school kids........17 players on any HS can create some real issues..........it's a possible reality all programs will have to deal with......our new normal will be interesting

I have seen the guidelines for starting high school activities, but haven't seen much about at what point a team will have to cancel games/suspend season/cancel season.  Will it be a percentage of squad members or a certain number of squad members?  If that number is one or two, then I am not very encouraged.  Then the scenario of a game being played and a player from the opposing team being diagnosed on Saturday or Monday.  Will this require every player who was on the field on Friday night to be quarantined for two weeks or require two negative tests before they can participate again?  And who pays for those tests?  As you can see, this could get really sticky very quickly and have adverse affects on many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Fan said:

I have seen the guidelines for starting high school activities, but haven't seen much about at what point a team will have to cancel games/suspend season/cancel season.  Will it be a percentage of squad members or a certain number of squad members?  If that number is one or two, then I am not very encouraged.  Then the scenario of a game being played and a player from the opposing team being diagnosed on Saturday or Monday.  Will this require every player who was on the field on Friday night to be quarantined for two weeks or require two negative tests before they can participate again?  And who pays for those tests?  As you can see, this could get really sticky very quickly and have adverse affects on many.

Great questions.....

As far as any cancellations, or any standards as far as the number of kids infected; the State and IHSAA will leave those decisions to the schools. 

As far as a positive test, Anyone in close contact with the player will likely need to be tested, but if he was asymptomatic on Friday night, the concern is not too great with what we know now. I don't believe everyone on the field will need testing. I was tested last week and the benchmarks that are being watched when it comes to contact with a person who has it are: 1. longer than 15 minutes in close contact (6 feet or less) and 2. within 48 hours of the person having the first symptom occur.

As far as return to play; the player must be symptom free for 72 hours before returning. 

Paying for tests is a good question. My guess is that local districts will decide how to proceed with that. I would like to, and have asked our district to include the antibody test as well. The clearer picture we have of what we are dealing with, the better for all involved. 

Some of the answers I posted came from the IFCA video conference. It is posted on youtube somewhere. I received a link in an email to view it. The others came from the guidelines the State put out recently.  

None that I have heard of so far........but I have a feeling when we do start on the 6th it might look a lot like the movie "Caddyshack" ......during the scene when the caddies get their time at the pool!

• Haha 1

IHSAA to schools on return-to-play: 'Be smart, take it slow and follow the rules'

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/06/25/return-indiana-high-school-sports-fluid-situation-ihsaa-paul-neidig/3259068001/

What better time to take over as Indiana High School Athletic Association commissioner than in the middle of a global pandemic?

Paul Neidig will officially take the reins from retiring commissioner Bobby Cox on Aug. 1, but is already immersed in the process of providing instruction as high school sports reemerge for the first time in four months as school facilities open July 6.

This much is certain: It will not be business as usual. During the first of the three-phase reentry to sports (through July 19):

• Athletes will be limited to 15 hours per week on campus.
  • Athletes and coaches will be screened daily for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
  • No contact will be allowed in contact sports.
  • Workouts will be conducted in small groups.

Those are among the many recommendations put in place by the Indiana Department of Education with input from the IHSAA and local health officials. Many school districts have released “return-to-play” plans that mirror these recommendations. Plans are in place.

But as the past three-plus months have taught us, plans are subject to change.

“I think it is the crystal ball everybody is looking for right now,” Neidig said this week. “We have a plan in place to return to sports, like we plan for every year. That has not changed. That’s our goal and that’s where we want to be. But we also know this is a fluid situation.”

In other words, write those plans in pencil.

What will happen if there is a breakout of positive tests within a school — or a specific team? Neidig pointed to an ongoing case study in Iowa, where the school seasons for baseball and softball are played in the spring. The Cedar Rapids Gazette reported Monday five Iowa baseball teams had suspended their seasons for two weeks due to positive COVID-19 tests within their programs.

Iowa is three weeks into its baseball season, including one week of competition. Three programs, according to The Gazette, chose not to field baseball teams.

“With the number of programs playing, the number of games that have been played, the number of practices we’ve had, I think we’re pleased that things are where they are,” Iowa executive director Tom Keating told The Gazette. “We feel bad for the programs that have been impacted, but I’m not sure we can tie those directly back to their team interaction.”

It is likely that similar situations will happen here, assuming schools start as planned. What will happen? Nothing is set in stone, but Neidig anticipates a similar situation as Iowa.

“I don’t anticipate it will be a statewide shutdown,” he said. “What’s happening right now with our friends in Iowa is they have a few teams where kids test positive and they have quarantined the entire team. That is certainly a possibility. We would not call those forfeits, but ‘no contests.’ Some of those decisions (on positive tests) are going to be made above us with state and local health departments.”

Neidig said it is easier to look at the reopening in two-week increments rather than months down the road. A better picture of what Week 1 of the high school football season (Aug. 21) could look like will depend on getting through the first phase and moving into the second and then third — projected for Aug. 15 — when formal competition may begin.

IHSAA assistant commissioner Robert Faulkens, who administers football, sent an email to football coaches earlier this month that stressed the importance of following the guidelines set forth by their local school district.

“There is no wiggle room for our football community,” Faulkens wrote. “How we respond to this challenge will go a long way towards making our communities comfortable with a ‘return to normalcy.’”

Whether a return to normalcy means a limited number of fans in the bleachers on football Friday nights is still to be determined. Neidig said the IHSAA will also be taking cues from college sports to help provide guidance for high schools.

“Right now, (fans in the stands) is TBA,” said Neidig, adding those decisions could vary from county to county. “That’s purposely been a little vague because we’re still in June and we have to get to the middle of August before we get started playing football games. We can make some decisions even leading up to that first week. I think it’s still too early to talk about what it is going to look like with fans. Our hope is fans are watching the kids play sports. But we will also be watching what the colleges end up doing. What does it look like when they are playing again?”

Meanwhile, coaches and athletic directors are planning for the first stage of the reopening. For the first two weeks, individual team sports will be allowed two activity days per week with one three-hour block per day in groups of 15 or less. These are considered voluntary workouts and limited to T-shirts, shorts and shoes.

Randy Vanderbush, the strength coach at Plainfield, has — with the help of the football coaching staff — moved weightlifting equipment to create two workout areas for optimal distancing. Vanderbush, who is also a parent of two high school athletes, said in addition to keeping athletes safe, there are concerns about kids coming in out of shape. But Vanderbush is confident the protocols are in place for a safe return.

“As a parent, I want my sons ready to play and have the proper preparations for their seasons,” Vanderbush said. “I also want them to get the experience of being a high school athlete. So many things here — structure, discipline, a chance to play with friends and a lifetime of memories.”

Neidig is not ruling out the possibility that different fall sports could be treated differently. For example, girls golf — a sport that is naturally socially distanced easier than soccer or football — could have less restrictions, potentially. But again, Neidig said, it is too soon to know for sure.

“We’re certainly not thinking that way right now,” he said. “I think the biggest thing we need from everyone is to stay focused on the prize at the end. If we can follow the guidelines that are out there, we’re pretty confident we can return to education-based sports.”

13 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I’d like to see things return to normal but there are way to many DannEllenwoods running around spiking the numbers for this to happen. Just like football, we need a team effort to make gains on the virus.

You think we havent made gains on this virus? Like a data not news agencies.

17 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I’d like to see things return to normal but there are way to many DannEllenwoods running around spiking the numbers for this to happen. Just like football, we need a team effort to make gains on the virus.

DannEllenwoods or others as well?

I just read the minutes from the IHSAA and it states nowhere about the COVID 19 and the summer schedule .  It only talks about 8 man football, unified flag football, changing the state final games, and getting a jamboree.😤.  This is what our coaches association (IFCA) and governing body (IHSAA) thought was important right now.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:35 PM, Bullhorn99 said:

Not trying to pick a fight-the value of that graph is a bit of a head scratcher for me.  

I bet both of us are hoping that all the statistics point toward a great complete season by the time mid-August rolls around. 

I think the value in terms of this forum is how there isn't any risk to the HS age kids.  There is the obvious concern of them bringing it home to those more vulnerable.  I still think that those who think that the only way they can get through this season is if they don't get a single case on their team through the entirety of the football season are living in a bit of a dream world.  That said...I wouldn't quarantine anyone that wasn't symptomatic or didn't have prolonged exposure to someone who was either symptomatic or tested positive.  I also wouldn't test the whole team every time a positive popped up.  That is just me and my views don't represent the views of the South Gibson School Corporation or the coaching staff.

• Like 1

If an offensive lineman is symptomatic on Wednesday night, after going through an entire practice/pos period, are all of the linemen ineligible? They definitely would have spent more than 15 in close proximity and the test would not have had time to come back. 

if so, what happens when we lose whole position groups?

2 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

That's some funny $hit right there.

I don't recall running around looting and rioting to cause these "spikes".

2 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

I was NOT at any looting or rioting.

BTW, for all you too scared to live your life and enjoy your freedom God gave us all, been back from the "Covid hotspot" of Florida for 2 weeks (you know, muh quarantine b/c of muh incubation period) and NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH!

WAKE UP people!

See you 8/14 or 8/15!

2 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

I am the target bc I am not scared to live my life!