Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

"Football is a non- essential business"

Guest DT

15 minutes ago, DT said:

I cannot disagree with him. So, what happens when players in each sport choose to not return? This will be an issue going forward. What about college athletes and coaches who are not comfortable? High school coaches and teachers? In my mind, there is still too much we just don't know. Keep in mind, we are only 4 months into this. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

I cannot disagree with him. So, what happens when players in each sport choose to not return? This will be an issue going forward. What about college athletes and coaches who are not comfortable? High school coaches and teachers? In my mind, there is still too much we just don't know. Keep in mind, we are only 4 months into this. 

Nobody HAS to play at the professional level of they deem it unsafe, but should they also then expect a reduction in salary?  Certainly an interesting argument.

College athletes are another interesting one.  You obviously can’t reduce/take away scholarships but providing an extra redshirt year for those that choose to sit would be a start.

High school athletes are at the mercy of parents.  Once again, participation in athletics is optional and the game will go on (at the big school level anyway) for the foreseeable future.

The next few months will be fascinating as far as sports are concerned as things seem to be very fluid.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, Temptation said:

Nobody HAS to play at the professional level of they deem it unsafe, but should they also then expect a reduction in salary?  Certainly an interesting argument.

College athletes are another interesting one.  You obviously can’t reduce/take away scholarships but providing an extra redshirt year for those that choose to sit would be a start.

High school athletes are at the mercy of parents.  Once again, participation in athletics is optional and the game will go on (at the big school level anyway) for the foreseeable future.

The next few months will be fascinating as far as sports are concerned as things seem to be very fluid.

Agree on all counts here......i should have been clearer though; what happens if a significant number of players on a given pro team or even a college team decide they do not want to play under current conditions? 

As far as high school, the strange days are just starting. I will be curious to see what parents decide to do. I saw a recent story where a map of Allen County showed a range of cases based on zip codes. One of the red zones (high number of cases) was where a lot of our kids live. 

On 6/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, Irishman said:

Agree on all counts here......i should have been clearer though; what happens if a significant number of players on a given pro team or even a college team decide they do not want to play under current conditions? 

As far as high school, the strange days are just starting. I will be curious to see what parents decide to do. I saw a recent story where a map of Allen County showed a range of cases based on zip codes. One of the red zones (high number of cases) was where a lot of our kids live. 

I am thinking the same thing regarding officials. If all the teams play, but we have 20% of the officials opt to not work for personal safety reasons, I don't see any way we cover all the games scheduled for Friday night. I would expect to see some moved to Thursday and/or Saturday. If some teams choose not to play it may wash out. It will be interesting to see what happens if games are allowed to happen.