Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

WHAT IF: IHSAA Playoffs

Fun offseason topic

What if the IHSAA playoffs were a NCAA Bowl Subdivision type playoff system?

Who would your four teams have been for the playoff either outright (no class system), from your favorite class, or all classes from this last season and what other teams would be in your big bowl games.

Oh! You mean like having Avon vs. Brownsburg in the semi-final instead of the first game of the sectional? or maybe Cass vs. Pioneer...…..

As a 1A fan I liked the real results better because I don't think anyone would have picked West Washington in the final four. It would have probably been LCC, Lutheran, South Adams, and Adams Central

Cool topic. Slightly controversial here on my part but is it fair to say that no one from the MIC would have made it due to the parity of the league?  

Based on the regular season 6A would have been Avon, Brownsburg, Homestead and Jeff, no?

7 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

5A: New Pal, Valpo, Cathedral, Dwenger would almost undoubtedly have been the top 4. 

NP-Cathedral met in the regional, Valpo-Dwenger in the semistate, NP-Valpo in the State Finals. 

Decatur Central might have an argument but not a huge one.

Edited by Guest

4A is a fun one, with the top 6 all finishing within 3.82 Sagarin points of each other. Plenty of drama with undefeated records and "quality wins" in the regular season, to boot. Going off of where they were at the start of playoffs, one would assume:

(1) Evansville Memorial, (2) East Noble,  (3) East Central, and (4) New Prairie. I'd have to vote Hobart (who was 10th in the IFC poll after Week 9) at 5 thanks to 2 losses and a close victory over CMA, but then in real life they end up knocking off New Prairie. All hail the tournament system.

7 minutes ago, Cheez said:

4A is a fun one, with the top 6 all finishing within 3.82 Sagarin points of each other. Plenty of drama with undefeated records and "quality wins" in the regular season, to boot. Going off of where they were at the start of playoffs, one would assume:

(1) Evansville Memorial, (2) East Noble,  (3) East Central, and (4) New Prairie. I'd have to vote Hobart (who was 10th in the IFC poll after Week 9) at 5 thanks to 2 losses and a close victory over CMA, but then in real life they end up knocking off New Prairie. All hail the tournament system.

I'll disagree here.  Mooresville over East Central (as it was proven).  East Central's schedule strength in the triple digits would make them the UCF of this year.

59 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Interesting.... in 3A I would guess Bishop Chatard, West Lafayette, Heritage Hills and Brebeuf. Maybe Gibson Southern? Early blowout loss to HH might've knocked them up, hypothetically

Looks right to me.  Too many losses for Guerin.

Edited by Guest