Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials in the Fall, Protocol?

Coach Nowlin

Question

Coaches must wear masks this fall.   

What about our officials?    I sure hope so!!   Would officials like @DannEllenwood refuse to accept their contracted assignments due to requirement of said mask?   

I have to umpire today in about 2 hours, some nice slow pitch softball, guess what I will have to do, wear a mask, and I will gladly do so.   

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

What about our officials?    I sure hope so!!   Would officials like @DannEllenwood refuse to accept their contracted assignments due to requirement of said mask?   

I have to umpire today in about 2 hours, some nice slow pitch softball, guess what I will have to do, wear a mask, and I will gladly do so.   

The observers have been advised that we will receive officiating guidelines this week. It has been emphasized that these are “guidelines,” subject to a lot of fine tuning before August. Stay tuned.

By the way, there were plenty of times when I was officiating when I wished I had been wearing a mask! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Good for you. 
Just met w a very high up person in the officiating world. No masks. 

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

I was on an airplane last week.  They told me to wear a mask, and although I didn’t want to, I found it best to toe the line for the sake of others.

So did I, except when I could eat or drink. Glad the “virus” knows when to take a break. 

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

I was on an airplane last week.  They told me to wear a mask, and although I didn’t want to, I found it best to toe the line for the sake of others.

That and to avoid the "random" cavity search.😀

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Unless it was Robert Faulkens or Bobby Cox your information is likely going to be superseded this week. 

🤔 

The previous communication from Robert was that masks would NOT be required for officials, but that could definitely change. If masks are required for officials we probably shouldn't be playing. Personally I will probably not officiate if masks are required unless I get some kind of mask that makes it easier for me to breath. I'm all for wearing masks when in public and especially crowds, but there are circumstances where they aren't as practical. And if those impractical activities create too large of a risk they probably shouldn't occur.

I would expect anything announced this week also won't be final. A lot can happen from July 1 to August 14/21.

Good article in today's Indystar. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/24/indiana-high-school-football-referee-shortage-could-lead-games-thursdays-and-friday/5477740002/?fbclid=IwAR0ZhZhxgPkAo29c4g6aOI130nU6-pSsve7xz21fWvNvkH8turkgznuJ8Og

From the article. I didn't realize there was such a thing as an "electronic whistle". Are there any officials on the Forum who have considered this?

"Kevin Lewis, president of the Indiana Officials Association, said his crew is “all on board” for this season, starting with a scrimmage Aug. 15 at Salem. Lewis, a 58-year-old line judge who walks the sideline and is in direct contact with numerous players and coaches in the course of a game, said he plans to wear a mask during games. He also plans to use an electronic whistle that produces sound by pushing a button."

50 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Good article in today's Indystar. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/24/indiana-high-school-football-referee-shortage-could-lead-games-thursdays-and-friday/5477740002/?fbclid=IwAR0ZhZhxgPkAo29c4g6aOI130nU6-pSsve7xz21fWvNvkH8turkgznuJ8Og

From the article. I didn't realize there was such a thing as an "electronic whistle". Are there any officials on the Forum who have considered this?

"Kevin Lewis, president of the Indiana Officials Association, said his crew is “all on board” for this season, starting with a scrimmage Aug. 15 at Salem. Lewis, a 58-year-old line judge who walks the sideline and is in direct contact with numerous players and coaches in the course of a game, said he plans to wear a mask during games. He also plans to use an electronic whistle that produces sound by pushing a button."

Absolutely. Manufacturers can’t keep them in stock.

Perhaps this would be a good time for a refresher on inadvertent whistle administration? 😆

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Absolutely. Manufacturers can’t keep them in stock.

Perhaps this would be a good time for a refresher on inadvertent whistle administration? 😆

I think this could bring on a whole new saying in the electronic world we live in. If you can "butt dial" a phone, can you "butt whistle"?

• Haha 1

A D1 friend of mine in North Carolina did a sound test with the one he got. When it was close to the camera the standard whistle and electronic whistle were fairly similar. As he moved away from the camera (up to 20 or 30 yards), there was a noticeable difference. It will be interesting to see how they work in reality.

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

A D1 friend of mine in North Carolina did a sound test with the one he got. When it was close to the camera the standard whistle and electronic whistle were fairly similar. As he moved away from the camera (up to 20 or 30 yards), there was a noticeable difference. It will be interesting to see how they work in reality.

Don’t keep us in suspense. What was the difference?