Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Comments On A Return To Competition

38 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I taught my classes online last quarter. As long as my students have access to an Internet connection and a Chromebook, they will learn and I will teach. The primary purpose of school is learning after all.

This is a point that needs to be examined by all schools. How much learning is REALLY happening?  NOT a shot at you.

All the kids, parents and fellow teachers that I have spoken with, hated the complete on line version of school (from numerous districts around NWI).  They understood the importance for that brief time. They all want to be back in August. 

20 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Not really. It’s their choice. 

About eating though. It’s odd. For example on my southwest flight, we were informed to wear masks at all times except while eating and drinking. So there’s always that option. The “virus” seems to know how to take a break when people are eating and drinking. Beats me. 

If I am in my waning years (60s or 70s) and I have to make an informed choice about my health versus spending time with my family, that’s damn difficult.

There is no end in sight as far as the virus is concerned in the foreseeable future (though many have theories) which would also give pause.

If have 10-15 years max left on this planet, I’d want to spend them closest to those I love most, including my grandkids.

I’m not in either position (teen or elderly) and am also not a “doom and gloom/the world is ending” type of person when it comes to this thing but there are some things worth discussing and weighting the risks upon.

11 hours ago, DT said:

I believe that far down the road, this period of time we are living in  now will become known as "The Big Correction."

Every part of world and American society have been impacted, and ultimately downsized

A correction to the norm was needed.

Covid-19 was probably as shot across the bow from the group who paid for the creation of the Georgia Guidestones.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BTF said:

I think we have to move forward. We are already trillions in dept as a country. Another shutdown will make recovery impossible no matter who is in charge after November.

I still think we let the parents, coaches, kids, and fans decide. We all know the risks. No one will force a kid to play. No one will force a coach to coach. No one will force a fan to attend. 

I saw this coming. Football is the money sport for most schools at the high school and college level. Not having a season will be absolutely devastating financially. Start the season and go from there. If it get's out of hand the season can always be cancelled. I promise you and every reader on this forum.................if this country shuts down again, the next recession will make 2008 look like a joke. According to some financial experts, our economy is already a bubble waiting to pop. Covid could be the needle that does it.  

I sincerely understand your concern. People going to die from Covid, just like they do from the flu. The only difference is that instead of 1 death, there will be 3. That's a big number, I get that. But is it worth total financial devastation? That's the question we have to ask ourselves. It's kind of like voting for the President. Fifty percent will go one way and fifty percent will go the other. So which is right? I reside on the side of re-opening our economy...........including sports. 

Agree with this post.

I've wondered numerous times how far can we go before the cumulative effect of numerous or prolonged shutdowns makes the treatment worse than the disease.  I'm all for masks, distancing, sanitizing and as much temperature taking/testing we can do.  Lets isolate those at greatest risk but the rest of us live our lives while practicing the aforementioned precautions and using common sense.

• Like 2

Someone brought up travel youth sports. They have been going on for weeks. I have witnessed a few baseball tourneys and let me tell you, there is no restrictions. Also there have been football camps and there has been zero social distancing. One on ones, blocking, etc. The experiment is happening now.. qnd deaths are still on the decline

23 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

This is a point that needs to be examined by all schools. How much learning is REALLY happening?  NOT a shot at you.

I know from talking to an acquaintance who is a government school teacher that basically zero learning happened from March to May at at least one area elementary school.  Not all schools can have an expensive e-learning option, so at this elementary school homework packets were picked up by parents, taken home for their children to complete, then returned for the the teachers supposedly to review/grade.  However the homework that was returned to the school was never seen by the teachers, it was thrown away or incinerated.   So it basically provided 'busy work' for the students, and a way for government school administrators to tell the state that they are actually trying to "educate" their students.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

How much learning is REALLY happening?  NOT a shot at you.

I know it's not a shot 🙂

Last year was my 1st time teaching ELA, and we re-did curricular materials part-way through the 1st quarter. Part of the curricular materials was a computer-based literacy program, which the kids by and large hated. However, the ELA MAPS scores went up (my 8th Graders had 100% growth). Learning is happening, and we are able to measure it, we just need to align curricular materials correctly. 

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not all schools can have an expensive e-learning option

Google Classroom is free for non-profits 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Temptation said:

But can said player go out for a hamburger with his grandparents after the game?

I completely respect that sentiment. I would respond, is that player going to see his grandparents at a July 4 barbecue?

I will have a son playing this fall. He is lucky enough that all four of his grandparents are alive. But unlucky in that only 1is in the category of low enough risk that will actually come to see him play (and wearing a mask). I would advise the other 3 to stay home. In the words of my now-deceased grandma, defend yourself when necessary but don’t go looking for trouble either. 

I have a friend who coaches FB in another state. They had a player drown swimming in a lake 2 weeks ago. He was going into his senior year of HS, and in past years would have probably been at summer workouts at that time instead of swimming. Is it less tragic than had he died of COVID-19?

I want football games to happen and make them as safe as reasonably possible. Let parents and adults make the decision should they want to attend.

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not all students have access to devices and connectivity to allow them to use such a system.

I am well aware. However, any school that's worth its salt will have Chromebooks, and will issue them to students. Heck, some places have started using school buses as mobile hot-spots. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I completely respect that sentiment. I would respond, is that player going to see his grandparents at a July 4 barbecue?

I will have a son playing this fall. He is lucky enough that all four of his grandparents are alive. But unlucky in that only 1is in the category of low enough risk that will actually come to see him play (and wearing a mask). I would advise the other 3 to stay home. In the words of my now-deceased grandma, defend yourself when necessary but don’t go looking for trouble either. 

I have a friend who coaches FB in another state. They had a player drown swimming in a lake 2 weeks ago. He was going into his senior year of HS, and in past years would have probably been at summer workouts at that time instead of swimming. Is it less tragic than had he died of COVID-19?

I want football games to happen and make them as safe as reasonably possible. Let parents and adults make the decision should they want to attend.

SO badly want to avoid this thread going down the rabbit hole of turning political but many folks will be basing their choices off of the information they receive from the “news”.

It seems you have to be a private investigator and search out the relevant facts/data points in this era because the mistrust is at an all time high.  It’s pretty pathetic honestly.

Hell, the mask vs no mask topic has taken a 180 multiple times.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

From everything I’ve heard so far, temperature checks will be a daily thing. Only if kids have a fever will they be made to get tested. As we’ve seen with all the college athletes that have tested positive, very few if any have any symptoms at all. The chances a Hs kid even has a fever and has to get checked are pretty slim. I think we all agree at some point a Hs kid will test positive but I don’t think it’s going to get crazy where the season will need to be shutdown. I do worry about the high risk group but they’ll need to try their best to stay away until we have a vaccine.

This is exactly how large factories in the state are staying open, it seems to be working.

46 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I know from talking to an acquaintance who is a government school teacher that basically zero learning happened from March to May at at least one area elementary school.  Not all schools can have an expensive e-learning option, so at this elementary school homework packets were picked up by parents, taken home for their children to complete, then returned for the the teachers supposedly to review/grade.  However the homework that was returned to the school was never seen by the teachers, it was thrown away or incinerated.   So it basically provided 'busy work' for the students, and a way for government school administrators to tell the state that they are actually trying to "educate" their students.

Wow. Very sad and disheartening. 

20 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I am well aware. However, any school that's worth its salt will have Chromebooks, and will issue them to students. Heck, some places have started using school buses as mobile hot-spots. 

South Bend, Indiana did. Loved that idea. 

42 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

How did high school athletic departments deals with scourge of MRSA over a decade ago?

Hygiene 

57 minutes ago, Temptation said:

If I am in my waning years (60s or 70s) and I have to make an informed choice about my health versus spending time with my family, that’s damn difficult.

There is no end in sight as far as the virus is concerned in the foreseeable future (though many have theories) which would also give pause.

If have 10-15 years max left on this planet, I’d want to spend them closest to those I love most, including my grandkids.

I’m not in either position (teen or elderly) and am also not a “doom and gloom/the world is ending” type of person when it comes to this thing but there are some things worth discussing and weighting the risks upon.

Very true, but still a choice. 

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

I will be curious to see how each district handles things like a player or multiple players on a team becoming infected. I am thinking we could pin a topic as plans become solidified. 

Which brings up another issue..........what could happen if multiple coaches get infected within a close time frame? 

Should be rephrased to what happens when you FIND out 5-20% of your team is ALREADY infected and asymptomatic?  Keep in mind some of the things we do KNOW about all this.  

• Most people are asymptomatic (especially young healthy people - high school athletes).
  • It would go without saying, temperature checks will NOT identify these individuals (which will be almost all of the players who are positive).  However, once someone tests positive and the contact tracing starts....expect to find that anywhere from 5-20% (based on reported data) of a "random" population will test positive for either COVID or Antibodies.
1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

I taught my classes online last quarter. As long as my students have access to an Internet connection and a Chromebook, they will learn and I will teach. The primary purpose of school is learning after all.

I teach Human Anat/Phys and Vertebrate Zoology.  I promise you my kids did not get what they should have from the course.  They did ok with the watered down version they were forced into.

re: Grandpa & Grandma being forced to make the decision about having a burger with their grandkids.  Total red herring question.   Are these kids NOT going to school?  Football should not be in the calculus for that decision, if you are worried about that...the kids are already riding buses and sitting in classrooms with hundreds/thousands of other kids each day.  That should already force that decision. 

Here's the reality....unless we go back to eLearning, kids are going to be in class and on buses much like they always were (schools may tell you otherwise, but I don't see it).  Football or other sports is NOT significantly raising their risks above what they are encountering during the school day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

This is exactly how large factories in the state are staying open, it seems to be working.

As an employee of a large steelmaker, I can tell you that we are NOT doing daily temperature checks. Policy follows what the state and CDC says, but the majority of workers (90%) are not following them anyways. Everything has been mostly business as usual.

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

However, any school that's worth its salt will have Chromebooks, and will issue them to students. 

You have lived and worked in wealthy Clark county Nevada for too long.

15 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

I am starting to think we won't have a season, if we do.. I see it being cancelled at some point. 

I hope i'm wrong... . July will be the big test imo. 

Unfortunately, I am beginning to believe the same.

That said, I was at 3 graduations this weekend and a lacrosse tournament at Grand Park with probably 200 teams (so I was told by one of the officials).  I really didn’t see very much at any of these events in the way of precautions.

I think this domino will fall (if it is going to) sooner rather than later.

20 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Always thinks hes the smartest man on the digest too. 

No, I don't.  That is your assumption, not mine friend.

There are numerous individuals on this forum more intelligent than I am.