Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do we see any Contraction coming?

Guest DT

With the season soon approaching, coaches, admins and ADs are scrambling to put plans in place to play high school football this fall.

Given the realities and fallout from the Covid Pandemic, do we see any programs contracting prior to the opening of the season due to the following reasons?

* Projected low numbers/participation

* Unfilled coaching staff positions.

* Funding problems

* Declining community support

* Injury/sickness concerns

* Potential legal liability

* Other

Two college football programs (Morehouse/Bowdoin) have cancelled their seasons due to Covid concerns.

More will come, and high schools will likely follow.

Edited by DT

40 minutes ago, Robert said:

Possibly, but not for the reasons you've been hounding about for years. 

I will set the over/under at 20 programs sitting out the season.

You taking the over or the under?

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Let me see what my school board decides first.  We did have a wave of sickness go through the area.  Not sure how many families/students were sick due to the privacy laws, but our community has two very large retirement centers and it blew through there and many employees had it.  

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Possibly, but not for the reasons you've been hounding about for years. 

Contraction is Contraction

280 is the magic number

32+54+54+54+54+32

It doesn't matter how we get there

Edited by DT

11 minutes ago, Robert said:

Let me see what my school board decides first.  We did have a wave of sickness go through the area.  Not sure how many families/students were sick due to the privacy laws, but our community has two very large retirement centers and it blew through there and many employees had it.  

BINGO!  How come this isn't talked about more?  Needs to.

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Contraction is Contraction

280 is the magic number

32+54+54+54+54+32

It doesn't matter how we get there

You sound like the guy that East Allen paid for years to base changes on future growth in population and demographics.  His knowledge and computer data went in the toilet when the only two apartment complexes that would rent to the refugees happened to be in the East Allen neighborhoods.  Of course, it made him look bad.   He still charged accordingly for having the correct software.   Contraction for contraction's sake will make your soothsaying doom and gloom look "good".  Maybe.  

Just now, Robert said:

You sound like the guy that East Allen paid for years to base changes on future growth in population and demographics.  His knowledge and computer data went in the toilet when the only two apartment complexes that would rent to the refugees happened to be in the East Allen neighborhoods.  Of course, it made him look bad.   He still charged accordingly for having the correct software.   Contraction for contraction's sake will make your soothsaying doom and gloom look "good".  Maybe.  

That's odd.  They can discriminate?

3 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

BINGO!  How come this isn't talked about more?  Needs to.

Privacy laws are a difficult thing in a school.  You often can't get the proper information you need to help a student.  This COVID-19 information isn't important, but other stuff is and some things you can't read.  It's mystifying. 

2 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

If you have no payment history and no credit score...

36 minutes ago, Robert said:

Please expand on this! OMG

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Privacy laws are a difficult thing in a school.  You often can't get the proper information you need to help a student.  This COVID-19 information isn't important, but other stuff is and some things you can't read.  It's mystifying. 

If you have no payment history and no credit score...

Agreed. Doesn’t make ANY sense. 

Gotcha. Thank you for explaining.

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Trump did. You have no problem with him doing it. 

4 hours ago, Robert said:

He only started doing the contraction is contraction when programs weren't dropping off like he said. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 3

5 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

He only started doing the contraction is contraction when programs weren't dropping off like he said. 

Its a decade long process.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, TheStatGuy said:

That is exactly how I see it.  I'm not sure why people gave a thumbs down here.  The contraction didn't come the way he said it would, so he'll just let this natural cause fit his agenda. 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, DT said:

I will take the Over if I can count those that start the season but end up cancelling

On 6/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, DT said:

It will be over, but they won’t contract.  They’ll sit out this season and then return in 21.

There are still more than 315 football playing schools, and with the additions of more and more charters, that number won’t be going south of 300 for some time.

5 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

It will be over, but they won’t contract.  They’ll sit out this season and then return in 21.

There are still more than 315 football playing schools, and with the additions of more and more charters, that number won’t be going south of 300 for some time.

Its kind of a joke that we replace a high school varsity football program with a charter and make an assumption that quality of play is not reduced.  Long term expansion of charter school football basically reduces the quality of play from the varsity level to the club level.  Not a good trend for those who prefer to watch a high quality athletic event 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:18 AM, DT said:

Its kind of a joke that we replace a high school varsity football program with a charter and make an assumption that quality of play is not reduced.  Long term expansion of charter school football basically reduces the quality of play from the varsity level to the club level.  Not a good trend for those who prefer to watch a high quality athletic event 

Most coaches, parents and athletic directors (myself included) would argue that, at the lower level, it is simply an educational based activity.  

If you prefer to watch a high quality athletic event, you’re certainly not going to watch Purdue Poly play Victory College Prep.  They, however, will continue with sports because it’s A.) Educational and B.) Keeps the kid off the street

280 means 40 schools (potentially in neighborhoods where kids NEED something to do) now have kids not at the school and this is why I’ll always be a big advocate for athletics and the arts no matter what.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Most coaches, parents and athletic directors (myself included) would argue that, at the lower level, it is simply an educational based activity.  

If you prefer to watch a high quality athletic event, you’re certainly not going to watch Purdue Poly play Victory College Prep.  They, however, will continue with sports because it’s A.) Educational and B.) Keeps the kid off the street

280 means 40 schools (potentially in neighborhoods where kids NEED something to do) now have kids not at the school and this is why I’ll always be a big advocate for athletics and the arts no matter what.

Football, just like Drama Club, Spanish Club, Student Council, and every type of other on-campus organization is for the betterment of the students.  Why are we trying to tweak that?  It’s not up to us.

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

Football, just like Drama Club, Spanish Club, Student Council, and every type of other on-campus organization is for the betterment of the students.  Why are we trying to tweak that?  It’s not up to us.

We all have a say.  We all have an opinion.  We all have a stake to some degree.

If you dont think we have a voice, or out thoughts and opinions go unheard and mean nothing, ask Bobby Cox if public opinion, and specifically message board feedback, had anything to do with the creation and implementation of the Success Factor Initiative.  

Ask Bobby if the 10 Year Holy War that occurred right here on the bandwidth of The GID from 2002 to 2012  had any influence on IHSAA policy thinking and decision making.

Im not sure where you were.  Dont recall you taking part in the fight.  I know were I was.  Deep in the trenches.  Blood on my hands.  It was brutal.  

Edited by DT

54 minutes ago, DT said:

We all have a say.  We all have an opinion.  We all have a stake to some degree.

If you dont think we have a voice, or out thoughts and opinions go unheard and mean nothing, ask Bobby Cox if public opinion, and specifically message board feedback, had anything to do with the creation and implementation of the Success Factor Initiative.  

Ask Bobby if the 10 Year Holy War that occurred right here on the bandwidth of The GID from 2002 to 2012  had any influence on IHSAA policy thinking and decision making.

Im not sure where you were.  Dont recall you taking part in the fight.  I know were I was.  Deep in the trenches.  Blood on my hands.  It was brutal.  

That’s the IHSAA, not individual schools.  Individual schools will always choose outlets for kids to receive education and, additionally, helping keep kids off the street.

Success factor is one thing.  Six classes is another.  To remove opportunities for kids to play sports to fit a fans agenda, will absolutely 100% never happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

That’s the IHSAA, not individual schools.  Individual schools will always choose outlets for kids to receive education and, additionally, helping keep kids off the street.

Success factor is one thing.  Six classes is another.  To remove opportunities for kids to play sports to fit a fans agenda, will absolutely 100% never happen.

Its more an issue of economics

Does football, at 50 x the cost , provide a more fulfilling extra curricular activity to an individual student than cross country?

Does football keep more kids off the street than tennis, golf or swimming?

The fact is, football is the poorest return on investment extra curricular activity a school can offer its students.  No other campus activity costs so much and benefits so few.  

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

The fact is, football is the poorest return on investment extra curricular activity a school can offer its students.  No other campus activity costs so much and benefits so few.  

Really? I didn't know that fact. I'd like more information on that. Do you have a source that I could peruse?