Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA 8 Man Football Proposal

I would love to hear some thoughts on the 8 man proposal. It basically states that any school under 300 students could opt for 8 man football. They would require at least 16 teams statewide to be able to do this. I wonder if this would prompt any small schools to start a football program. I know in SW Indiana there are several schools that don't currently play football. Some that come to mind are South Knox, Loogootee, Bloomfield, Shakamak, NE Dubois, White River Valley, Clay City, Orleans, and others. Also Wood Memorial suspended their team a couple of years ago. It seems like that most of these schools could get at least 15 or 16 boys to come out for varsity play. I know there are start up costs, but if there is a will to do it, it could happen. 

In this day and age of football not always be a priority for players, since there are a lot of options available for them instead of football, and the way the concussion awareness has depleted the ranks......I feel for smaller schools, this may be the way to go. Saw a special on ESPN about TX 8 man  football schools.....it was different, it was interesting but it was  still football! Has to be an alternative instead of not playing at all. It has merit

11 minutes ago, cw13 said:

In this day and age of football not always be a priority for players, since there are a lot of options available for them instead of football, and the way the concussion awareness has depleted the ranks......I feel for smaller schools, this may be the way to go. Saw a special on ESPN about TX 8 man  football schools.....it was different, it was interesting but it was  still football! Has to be an alternative instead of not playing at all. It has merit

Last year I coached an 8-man team. It was fun, but personnel management is a much bigger part of the game than in a larger school. 

The co-op option I know works well in IL when I coached there

This would at least allow for 11 on 11 football if the 8 man fizzles out

either way the state will have to make some decisions to keep football alive and well at the smaller schools

I do like it, as it could give more schools the opportunity to play, which isn't a bad thing. 

I could see some current 11 man 1A teams making the choice to drop down to it. 

And I can't believe I'm saying it, but I do agree with Muda that co-op is not a bad idea either and the state should consider it as well. However, the 8-man proposal is on the table, so hopefully that gets some traction. It will be interesting to see. 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

A better option would be to allow small schools to form co-op teams, like they do in Illinois.

I like the idea because it will allow small, struggling programs a chance to have success and it will allow other, non-football playing schools a chance to have a program. 

Regardless, it will lead to contraction while still technically having a program, which should make you and DT jump for joy. It sounds like the best of both worlds to me. 

16 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

It wouldn't shock me if MWC schools besides North Newton played 8 man. 

I think this would be impact of an 8 man format. I think more 1A schools would convert than add currently non-playing schools to the mix. 

The IHSAA has already added Flag Football.  There is no no need for 8 man.  If varsity is too much of a stretch for a football playing school, then flag is a good secondary club level option

https://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/05/03/reggie-hayes-ihsaa-makes-great-move-adding-flag-football-to-its-unified-sports-program/

11 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I am for either/both 8 man and co-op teams. 

I am against both.  Contraction or Flag are better options.

5 hours ago, DT said:

The IHSAA has already added Flag Football.  There is no no need for 8 man.  If varsity is too much of a stretch for a football playing school, then flag is a good secondary club level option

https://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/05/03/reggie-hayes-ihsaa-makes-great-move-adding-flag-football-to-its-unified-sports-program/

The current flag football program, per your article, is part of the Unified Program. My understanding of the Unified Program is that the IHSAA partners, at least perhaps unofficially, partners with the Special Olympics to provide student-athletes with special needs an opportunity to safely participate in athletics. It is a wonderful program, but I don't think that it serves the same purpose as the push for Co-OP and/or 8-man football investigation. In other words, the existing flag-football program is NOT a "better option" than 11 or 8 man football for communities who want to support a program. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

The current flag football program, per your article, is part of the Unified Program. My understanding of the Unified Program is that the IHSAA partners, at least perhaps unofficially, partners with the Special Olympics to provide student-athletes with special needs an opportunity to safely participate in athletics. It is a wonderful program, but I don't think that it serves the same purpose as the push for Co-OP and/or 8-man football investigation. In other words, the existing flag-football program is NOT a "better option" than 11 or 8 man football for communities who want to support a program. 

Exactly.  Flag football is not really a bagging right.

9 hours ago, DT said:

Won't schools switching to 8-man football be a form of contraction?

36 minutes ago, AG said:

Won't schools switching to 8-man football be a form of contraction?

No, because they will likely be considered Class 1AA and still participate in the state tournament, further watering down the product on the field.  

Edited by DT

33 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

You have never learned to appreciate small school football, apparently.

There is a time for expansion, and a time for contraction.

Now is clearly a time for the latter

Choices and options are being reduced and eliminated everywhere.  High school football will be no different.  And people will survive and move on.  

6 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

For everyone's information, Unified Flag Football is a sanctioned IHSAA sports.  There is an end of the season tournament with a champion declared.  The champion gets all the things other sports get.  Trophy and rings for the participants.  Unified means athletes (potential Special Olympics athletes) and partners (non disabled students).  They are a team,  just like any other ISHAA team, in the eyes of the ISHAA.

This season, the IHSAA is shooting for 64 teams for the season.  We will get there, if not this year, sometime in the future.

These athletes consider themselves football players.  I will hope the GID community affords them this designations.

This year, I will be coaching flag football and I have to follow all the procedures that the other football coaches are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

For everyone's information, Unified Flag Football is a sanctioned IHSAA sports.  There is an end of the season tournament with a champion declared.  The champion gets all the things other sports get.  Trophy and rings for the participants.  Unified means athletes (potential Special Olympics athletes) and partners (non disabled students).  They are a team,  just like any other ISHAA team, in the eyes of the ISHAA.

This season, the IHSAA is shooting for 64 teams for the season.  We will get there, if not this year, sometime in the future.

These athletes consider themselves football players.  I will hope the GID community affords them this designations.

This year, I will be coaching flag football and I have to follow all the procedures that the other football coaches are.

Absolutely.  I didn't mean to imply that they weren't student-athletes at all.

5 hours ago, DT said:

No, because they will likely be considered Class 1AA and still participate in the state tournament, further watering down the product on the field.  

8 man and 11 man football are basically different sports. They won't compete against one another at all. Sounds like contraction to me.

Which of these IHSAA member schools would consider playing football if 8 man football was an option?

Indianapolis Herron
Lighthouse CPA (Gary)
Muncie Burris
Indianapolis Riverside
Illiana Christian
Westview
South Ripley
South Knox
Austin
Southwestern (Hanover)
Wapahani
Hebron