Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA 8 Man Football Proposal

1 hour ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Preposterous.  If small school football is that far beneath you, disregard it and move on.  No one is forcing you to watch/comment on us small town folks who support kids in an attempt to give them an opportunity to compete and become better, more well rounded young men (and women, I've seen a few girls play here in recent years). If a community wants to and is able to support a program, let them, if not, that is fine, but we "neanderthals" do not appreciate or need you descending from on high telling us how to best support our kids and our communities.

High school football is not about producing "more talent" than our neighboring states or for "the next level." As a coach, that is the furthest thing from my mind.  If a student-athlete has the capacity to compete at the next level, I/we support that pursuit, but my focus is typically on the student-athlete who needs football because he doesn't have much else to motivate him. But sure, go ahead and let's tell a community that our state's overall "product" trumps their willingness and desire to provide opportunity for their student-athletes that they see fit.

Rant over.

Some of the worst small school football is played in the big cities.

Schools below in bold type are big city schools or bordered by larger Indiana cities.  Not just a rural issue.  

Edited by DT

7 hours ago, DT said:

Some of the worst small school football is played in the big cities.

Schools below in bold type are big city schools or bordered by larger Indiana cities.  Not just a rural issue.  

No list posted, but it matters not.

I've never coached at an urban school, large or small, but I have plenty of friends that do.  I can tell you from conversations that I have had with those coaches that while we in "rugged rural outpost communities" need sports like football for our student-athletes, those urban areas need them equally as bad.  Of course, that doesn't matter to you; all you care about is the "product."

By the way, those large school colleagues I referenced are often some of the biggest admirers of small school football in general.  Not all of them, but many.  They recognize the mental gymnastics small school coaching staffs have to go through in order to solve personnel issues and, more importantly, the physical, mental, and emotional toughness of the student-athletes who play both sides of the ball and special teams.  But, again, that doesn't matter to you, all you care about is the "product."

I'm going to do something that I am pretty sure you are incapable of; I apologize.  I try to ignore your contraction talk as much as I can, but when you weasel your way into EVERY thread with this nonsense, you make it impossible.  

"Clicks, clicks, clicks, they'll do anything to get a few,

Tick, tick, tick, that's the sound before my head explodes,

Quit, quit, quit, look at you up on your pedestal,

Quick, quick, quick, hear the critics come, it's time to go..." ("Paid My Dues, NF)

Go ahead, stay on your ignorant pedestal, but I make it a point to stay in my lane, it's time you learned to stay in yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

No list posted, but it matters not.

I've never coached at an urban school, large or small, but I have plenty of friends that do.  I can tell you from conversations that I have had with those coaches that while we in "rugged rural outpost communities" need sports like football for our student-athletes, those urban areas need them equally as bad.  Of course, that doesn't matter to you; all you care about is the "product."

By the way, those large school colleagues I referenced are often some of the biggest admirers of small school football in general.  Not all of them, but many.  They recognize the mental gymnastics small school coaching staffs have to go through in order to solve personnel issues and, more importantly, the physical, mental, and emotional toughness of the student-athletes who play both sides of the ball and special teams.  But, again, that doesn't matter to you, all you care about is the "product."

I'm going to do something that I am pretty sure you are incapable of; I apologize.  I try to ignore your contraction talk as much as I can, but when you weasel your way into EVERY thread with this nonsense, you make it impossible.  

"Clicks, clicks, clicks, they'll do anything to get a few,

Tick, tick, tick, that's the sound before my head explodes,

Quit, quit, quit, look at you up on your pedestal,

Quick, quick, quick, hear the critics come, it's time to go..." ("Paid My Dues, NF)

Go ahead, stay on your ignorant pedestal, but I make it a point to stay in my lane, it's time you learned to stay in yours.

With regards to lane, mine is high school football in general as it relates to this website.  Id like to think we all have the intellectual capacity to move beyond the simple x's and o's and discuss the bigger picture issues impacting the game.  

Yes, I am interested in the "product" that we see on the field.  Football is a game that requires a significant amount of resources   Simply put, the smaller the school, the fewer resources available to field a product of acceptable competitiveness.  We all have varying opinions on what that level just might be.  certainly, yours will be different than mine.

Im not for taking away opportunities from kids.  If you take football away from one kid, you create an opportunity to give a new opportunity to another thru the reallocation of resources.  I dont know why that is such a bad thing.  I dont share the idea that "football" is the holy grail of HS sports.  All kids benefit from participation in extra curricular activities.  

Bottom line, high school extra curricular activities should result in positive experiences and good life long memories for student athletes.  There are many chronically ill football programs that simple cannot provide that positivity in any way, shape or form.  Those are not difficult to identify if you look a little closer

29 minutes ago, DT said:

With regards to lane, mine is high school football in general as it relates to this website.  Id like to think we all have the intellectual capacity to move beyond the simple x's and o's and discuss the bigger picture issues impacting the game.  

Yes, I am interested in the "product" that we see on the field.  Football is a game that requires a significant amount of resources   Simply put, the smaller the school, the fewer resources available to field a product of acceptable competitiveness.  We all have varying opinions on what that level just might be.  certainly, yours will be different than mine.

Im not for taking away opportunities from kids.  If you take football away from one kid, you create an opportunity to give a new opportunity to another thru the reallocation of resources.  I dont know why that is such a bad thing.  I dont share the idea that "football" is the holy grail of HS sports.  All kids benefit from participation in extra curricular activities.  

Bottom line, high school extra curricular activities should result in positive experiences and good life long memories for student athletes.  There are many chronically ill football programs that simple cannot provide that positivity in any way, shape or form.  Those are not difficult to identify if you look a little closer

Incorrect.  At most small schools that currently have a football team their athletic department's budget relies on that income to support multiple other programs.  You take that income away, you force the department to make deeper cuts across the board.  I too share the idea that football is not a "holy grail," if a kid doesn't want to play, a kid shouldn't play.  But where there is enough interest, whether it is for 11 or 8 man, a school and community should be allowed to offer it as an option, regardless of the quality of the "product" on the field.  You are, in fact, for taking opportunities away from kids, but you will never admit it.  Moving on...

I watched some 8 man stuff on YouTube, it looked pretty cool.  I'd still like to hear some of the coaching side of things.

12 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Incorrect.  At most small schools that currently have a football team their athletic department's budget relies on that income to support multiple other programs.  You take that income away, you force the department to make deeper cuts across the board.  I too share the idea that football is not a "holy grail," if a kid doesn't want to play, a kid shouldn't play.  But where there is enough interest, whether it is for 11 or 8 man, a school and community should be allowed to offer it as an option, regardless of the quality of the "product" on the field.  You are, in fact, for taking opportunities away from kids, but you will never admit it.  Moving on...

I watched some 8 man stuff on YouTube, it looked pretty cool.  I'd still like to hear some of the coaching side of things.

I agree. If you take away football you take away the revenue it generates. I have no idea if high schools operate in the black for football, but the revenue definitely helps the overall budget at a minimum. Take away that revenue and you have to find some other reason to get people to pay you money. My kids have played non-revenue sports and been involved in many other activities that are funded either by parents or underwritten by the school. You aren't going to charge parents to attend a quiz bowl event and fans don't attend Key Club events.

• Like 1

I would edit my previous post, but my phone will not allow. Two more things and then I'm done with the @DT. First of all, your lane is very obviously not Indiana high school football in general, it is the promotion of "big school" football that produces the majority of the "talent" in the state.  If that's your focus, fine, but that makes you the guy on the interstate who puts his cruise control on right at 70 and tries to pass a semi without accelerating.  Sure, you're "in your lane" and "following the letter of the law" but it's also inconsiderate at best and dangerous at worst.

Finally, I've coached teams that went 9-1 and teams that went 0-10 and don't you dare tell me that those kids that went 0-10 didn't take away anything positive from that season because they did. I've spoken to those kids, who are now young men, and they certainly wished things would have gone differently, but they wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.  But sure, go ahead and pound the table demanding that all those experiences shouldn't happen. It's  insulting, and contrary to the purposes of this forum.

I'm done. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I would edit my previous post, but my phone will not allow. Two more things and then I'm done with the @DT. First of all, your lane is very obviously not Indiana high school football in general, it is the promotion of "big school" football that produces the majority of the "talent" in the state.  If that's your focus, fine, but that makes you the guy on the interstate who puts his cruise control on right at 70 and tries to pass a semi without accelerating.  Sure, you're "in your lane" and "following the letter of the law" but it's also inconsiderate at best and dangerous at worst.

Finally, I've coached teams that went 9-1 and teams that went 0-10 and don't you dare tell me that those kids that went 0-10 didn't take away anything positive from that season because they did. I've spoken to those kids, who are now young men, and they certainly wished things would have gone differently, but they wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.  But sure, go ahead and pound the table demanding that all those experiences shouldn't happen. It's  insulting, and contrary to the purposes of this forum.

I'm done. 

Are you not in agreement that there are some chronically sick programs in this state that are teetering on the edge of viability?

1 hour ago, DT said:

Are you not in agreement that there are some chronically sick programs in this state that are teetering on the edge of viability?

I believe in the ability of a local community making an educated and informed decision on any and all after school programs, including football, based on their values and priorities.

Further, I believe that individual communities do not need outside help in making these judgement unless they ask for it.

Additionally, I believe, quite frankly, that those decisions are none of my, or your, damn business (unless, of course, this is an issue in your or my community).

I believe that your "metrics" to define "chronically sick programs" consist, primarily, of essentially win/loss records over time, which as I have previously made clear are far from the only "metrics" at play in making a sound decision on whether any extra-curricular activity is deserving of a community's support.  

I believe you have the right to speak/post on this forum, and specifically this thread, as you wish, so long as it stays on topic.

I believe you have made your point clear; you do not support 8-man football in Indiana and you have further stated your reasoning for that.

I, and multiple other here, reject your reasoning on it's basic principles.

I believe, therefore, that your contributions to this thread have run their course and that your participation therein is not longer necessary or productive.

I believe that there is a group on this board who have expressed interest in this proposal as a legitimate possibility moving forward and wish to have additional dialogue on the topic without having your thoughts, to which you have made clear, continually interjected.

Thus, I believe that it would be in the best interests of all if you ceased posting on this thread as you have made your point, and it is evident that no one's mind here on either side will be changed.

I believe you will not stop for your own reasons and I have no way of stopping you from that.

To answer your question more directly; no, I do not believe, based on my perception of the purpose of extra-curricular athletics within the framework of a young person's education that here are any "chronically sick programs in the state that are teetering on the edge of viability."  Furthermore, even if there were, it is none of my business...

I know I said I was done, but since you asked me a question directly, I felt compelled, out of courtesy, to respond.  I have no questions for you and therefore do not expect, nor do I care for a response.

1 minute ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I believe in the ability of a local community making an educated and informed decision on any and all after school programs, including football, based on their values and priorities.

Further, I believe that individual communities do not need outside help in making these judgement unless they ask for it.

Additionally, I believe, quite frankly, that those decisions are none of my, or your, damn business (unless, of course, this is an issue in your or my community).

I believe that your "metrics" to define "chronically sick programs" consist, primarily, of essentially win/loss records over time, which as I have previously made clear are far from the only "metrics" at play in making a sound decision on whether any extra-curricular activity is deserving of a community's support.  

I believe you have the right to speak/post on this forum, and specifically this thread, as you wish, so long as it stays on topic.

I believe you have made your point clear; you do not support 8-man football in Indiana and you have further stated your reasoning for that.

I believe, therefore, that your contributions to this thread have run their course and that your participation therein is not longer necessary or productive.

I believe that there is a group on this board who have expressed interest in this proposal as a legitimate possibility moving forward and wish to have additional dialogue on the topic without having your thoughts, to which you have made clear, continually interjected.

Thus, I believe that it would be in the best interests of all if you ceased posting on this thread as you have made your point, and it is evident that no one's mind here on either side will be changed.

I believe you will not stop for your own reasons and I have no way of stopping you from that.

To answer your question more directly; no, I do not believe, based on my perception of the purpose of extra-curricular athletics within the framework of a young person's education that here are any "chronically sick programs in the state that are teetering on the edge of viability."  Furthermore, even if there were, it is none of my business...

I know I said I was done, but since you asked me a question directly, I felt compelled, out of courtesy, to respond.  I have no questions for you and therefore do not expect, nor do I care for a response.

Every school has the right to field a team.  Winning can be a very hard thing, especially with low numbers (happens with most every small school) and if injuries take its toll.  But the thing is to not give up--the wins will come over time. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, senatorcoach72 said:

Question-

1. Would this make 1A a 32 team division if current 1A teams elect to go to 8 man?
  2. If yes, who is left. Mostly privates and the few 1A teams?
  3. Does this create any issues of competitive balance in 1A?

These, to me, are interesting questions.

I think it all depends on how many/if any current 1A schools would actually make the move.  It could run the spectrum from none, to a few, to a colloquial bunch.  You may see more 6 and 7 team sectionals at 1A, but again, it would all depend on who would choose to stay and who would choose to go to 8 man.

25 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Your comments noted, and appreciated.  I will continue to lobby hard against this proposal.  On a side note, I am also strongly in favor of IHSAA mandated minimum participation levels, by class.  Many schools have chosen to compete with rosters with less than 20 student athletes, the vast majority of which are underclassmen, with lots of freshman and sophomores.  These ultra lean rosters are competing against schools with 2 and 3 times the numbers.  THis creates a significant health-injury hazard for many of these young people, who are rather smallish to begin with due to poor physical training .  

8 man football is little more than 7 on 7, which we see in abundance every offseason.  If that is what small Indiana communities want, more power to them.  I dont think the numbers and /or the passion will be there when it comes to a vote.

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Your comments noted, and appreciated.  I will continue to lobby hard against this proposal.  On a side note, I am also strongly in favor of IHSAA mandated minimum participation levels, by class.  Many schools have chosen to compete with rosters with less than 20 student athletes, the vast majority of which are underclassmen, with lots of freshman and sophomores.  These ultra lean rosters are competing against schools with 2 and 3 times the numbers.  THis creates a significant health-injury hazard for many of these young people, who are rather smallish to begin with due to poor physical training .  

8 man football is little more than 7 on 7, which we see in abundance every offseason.  If that is what small Indiana communities want, more power to them.  I dont think the numbers and /or the passion will be there when it comes to a vote.

And I will continually reject your very premise of "IHSAA mandated minimum participation levels," but again, that is not the purpose of this thread.  Start another thread to discuss this if you want, but if you don't want to do that, I would ask that you take your ball and go home, we don't need it to play.

To your second comment, which tread around the point; this is blatantly and completely wrong.  Flag football is little more than 7 on 7; 8 man, if I understand correctly, uses the same basic rules for blocking, tackling, etc as 11 man, the differences being in, obviously, the number of players who are allowed to participate in a play at a time and the size of the field.  It still allows for offensive and defensive line play, tackling, special teams, etc. 

The statements in bold above are contradictory.  If you are really okay with small communities pursuing this, why would you continue to "lobby hard against" a proposal of this type?  You can't have it both ways, either you care or you don't.  Your continued insistence on posting in this thread indicates that you do, if you don't, then move on.

Your thoughts on numbers and/or passion are noted and already inferred.

Edited by wabashalwaysfights
Grammatical and additional commentary

4 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

And I will continually reject your very premise of "IHSAA mandated minimum participation levels," but again, that is not the purpose of this thread.  Start another thread to discuss this if you want, but if you don't want to do that, I would ask that you take your ball and go home, we don't need it to play.

To your second comment, which tread around the point; this is blatantly and completely wrong.  Flag football is little more than 7 on 7; 8 man, if I understand correctly, uses the same basic rules for blocking, tackling, etc as 11 man, the differences being in, obviously, the number of players who are allowed to participate in a play at a time and the size of the field.  It still allows for offensive and defensive line play, tackling, special teams, etc. 

Your thoughts on numbers and/or passion are noted and already inferred.

You can reject until the cows come home.  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

You can reject until the cows come home.  

And I will, just as you'll keep hijacking threads...

It appears that the Michigan High School Athletic Association has supported 8 man football for at least 9 years based on their website, and as I think the initial poster may have indicated, it is growing in Illinois.  I have also seen that there may bee some interest in Ohio in recent years?  I'm just curious to see what led to this in some schools, whether these are new programs whole cloth or transition program from an existing 11 man program.  One article I found was on an Illinois program that started their 8 man organization, which is currently not part of the Illinois High School Athletics Association.  They made the move from an existing 11 man program.  I couldn't find a number on how many 8 man teams there were in Michigan, but they follow a similar playoff qualification points system with a 32 team playoff.

This whole "contraction" stuff is bs. Who cares about the small schools playing football with low numbers. Have you ever been to a small school football game?? Those little communities come out in droves to support those kids and teams. Sometimes that is the only way to rally the community together. A Friday night under the lights cheering on the local kids that you watched growing up playing football in their yards. Small school football may not always be pretty but it's special in its own way. I used to love driving up to Turkey Run and watching them play the covered bridge game against Rockville. Or going up to Riverton Parke and watching them play another small school. I played at West Vigo which isn't a big school. We used to play Linton every year and that was the game everyone looked for on the schedule. Those were great games. This whole contraction crap is ridiculous. 

Let the kids play if they want to whether its traditional football or the 8 man. Good luck this fall!

Just now, wvigo13 said:

This whole "contraction" stuff is bs. Who cares about the small schools playing football with low numbers. Have you ever been to a small school football game?? Those little communities come out in droves to support those kids and teams. Sometimes that is the only way to rally the community together. A Friday night under the lights cheering on the local kids that you watched growing up playing football in their yards. Small school football may not always be pretty but it's special in its own way. I used to love driving up to Turkey Run and watching them play the covered bridge game against Rockville. Or going up to Riverton Parke and watching them play another small school. I played at West Vigo which isn't a big school. We used to play Linton every year and that was the game everyone looked for on the schedule. Those were great games. This whole contraction crap is ridiculous. 

Let the kids play if they want to whether its traditional football or the 8 man. Good luck this fall!

@wvigo13, you are talking about my conference, the Wabash River Conference, and that makes me happy, but as I said earlier, I think it best to focus here on the topic at hand, which is 8 man football.  Not disagreeing with you, just being consistent.  Perhaps, @DT, enough interest has shown itself for you to start, yet another, thread in an effort to  explain your rationale for contraction.

36 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

@wvigo13, you are talking about my conference, the Wabash River Conference, and that makes me happy, but as I said earlier, I think it best to focus here on the topic at hand, which is 8 man football.  Not disagreeing with you, just being consistent.  Perhaps, @DT, enough interest has shown itself for you to start, yet another, thread in an effort to  explain your rationale for contraction.

Yes I've been to many WRC games over the years. My family went to Turkey Run and Riverton Parke. So I've been up there quite a few times. I think I've been to every WRC school at least once. Great schools and great games.

8 man football would have been a great option for Turkey Run in their last few years. I'd love to see some schools adopt it. I don't know much about it but I'd be interested in watching it some time if schools around here join.

8 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Yes I've been to many WRC games over the years. My family went to Turkey Run and Riverton Parke. So I've been up there quite a few times. I think I've been to every WRC school at least once. Great schools and great games.

8 man football would have been a great option for Turkey Run in their last few years. I'd love to see some schools adopt it. I don't know much about it but I'd be interested in watching it some time if schools around here join.

I'm sorry... 😉

Seriously though, you are right about Turkey Run's waning years.  Those kids always played hard and I always admired them for that.  It would have been a loss for the Conference, but certainly understandable.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Past ridiculous.  I'm glad to know you have a handle on the culture of it for some people, and I'm not naming names, do not.

State 8-man 6-man 9-man
Alabama 19 8 0
Alaska 4 8 0
Arizona 31 0 0
Arkansas 1 0 0
California 108 0 0
Colorado 40 30 0
Connecticut 1 0 0
Delaware 15 0 0
Florida 15 32 0
Georgia 21 0 0
Hawaii 8 0 0
Idaho 45 2 0
Illinois 24 1 0
Indiana 0 0 0
Iowa 61 0 0
Kansas 110 13 0
Kentucky 0 0 0
Louisiana 9 0 0
Maine 10 0 0
Maryland 0 0 0
Massachusetts 0 0 0
Michigan 64 0 0
Minnesota 0 0 70
Mississippi 21 0 0
Missouri 26 0 0
Montana 41 37 0
Nebraska 113 25 0
Nevada 77 0 0
New Hampshire 1 0 0
New Jersey 2 0 0
New Mexico 18 11 0
New York 29 0 0
North Carolina 15 0 0
North Dakota 0 0 46
Ohio 0 0 0
Oklahoma 88 0 0
Oregon 41 0 0
Pennsylvania 21 0 0
Rhode Island 0 0 0
South Carolina 19 0 0
South Dakota 0 0 79
Tennessee 14 0 0
Texas 0 234 0
Utah 0 0 0
Vermont 0 0 0
Virginia 0 0 0
Washington 34 0 0
Washington, D.C. 1 0 0
West Virginia 0 0 0
Wisconsin 47 0 0
Wyoming 0 13 0
  • Thanks 1

@gahoosierfan, THAT is a great chart.  I had never even heard of 9 man football.  By my count, Indiana is one of only 10 states that does not have ANY alternative form of football (not included in that number are the few places that list 1 alternative team, which I would assume means that they compete across their state lines).

• Like 1

An uneducated guess would be typo, but it could be a private school where travel is no issue.  It is a different situation obviously, but I'm thinking about Indiana Deaf who has routinely played as far away as Washington D.C and Alabama off the top of my head and a quick look at their page on Harrell shows that they have played teams from California, Maryland, Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and North Carolina dating back to 1995. 

Again, my guess is a typo however.

47 minutes ago, gahoosierfan said:
State 8-man 6-man 9-man
Alabama 19 8 0
Alaska 4 8 0
Arizona 31 0 0
Arkansas 1 0 0
California 108 0 0
Colorado 40 30 0
Connecticut 1 0 0
Delaware 15 0 0
Florida 15 32 0