Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2019 Rule Changes

Impartial_Observer

Question

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

That is too bad.  Are those that miss not considered IHSAA officials anymore? Obviously this would mean these crews arent doing tourney games, but does IHSAA have any say on who can ref a regular season game? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just not sure how it all works from the officiating end.

The IHSAA only considers meeting attendance, test scores, etc., for officials applying to work the tournament. If you’re not applying, all you need is a license and someone willing to hire you.

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

That is too bad.  Are those that miss not considered IHSAA officials anymore? Obviously this would mean these crews arent doing tourney games, but does IHSAA have any say on who can ref a regular season game? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just not sure how it all works from the officiating end.

Once you are licensed, the only thing that's required to keep your license is to renew it each year. If you are a licensed official, you can work regular season games. In order to work the tournament, there meetings you have to attend, clinics you have to attend, tests you have to take, online interpretation presentations, etc.

40 second play clock - great change

Number visibility, no opinion

Legal scrimmage formation - great change

Tripping - "....intentionally use lower leg...." could lead to some interpretation differences

Horse-collar - good change

Illegal kicking and batting - makes sense to change to 10 yards

Replay - can't see it being used with exception of state finals.  Therefore will never affect me. 

30 minutes ago, fbofficial said:

40 second play clock - great change

Number visibility, no opinion

Legal scrimmage formation - great change

Tripping - "....intentionally use lower leg...." could lead to some interpretation differences

Horse-collar - good change

Illegal kicking and batting - makes sense to change to 10 yards

Replay - can't see it being used with exception of state finals.  Therefore will never affect me. 

40 Second play clock, I wouldn't want to go back, good change.

Jersey stuff, not much I can do, hopefully the manufacturers pay attention.

Legal Scrimmage Formation, so A can now legally snap the ball with 9 players?

Horsecollar good move, I still don't see this as being a big issue in HS Football.

Illegal kicking and batting, fine, whatever. I would venture to guess the majority of officials have never called it, much less know what the yardage penalty is.

Replay I think this needs to addressed in the right way. This could be the greatest thing since sliced bread or a huge boondoggle. 

50 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

40 Second play clock, I wouldn't want to go back, good change.

Jersey stuff, not much I can do, hopefully the manufacturers pay attention.

Legal Scrimmage Formation, so A can now legally snap the ball with 9 players?

Horsecollar good move, I still don't see this as being a big issue in HS Football.

Illegal kicking and batting, fine, whatever. I would venture to guess the majority of officials have never called it, much less know what the yardage penalty is.

Replay I think this needs to addressed in the right way. This could be the greatest thing since sliced bread or a huge boondoggle. 

I'm glad the 40-second play clock is here to stay. I may try to pick up a consulting fee from the officials in other states who don't think it will work for them for whatever reason.

The folks in the press box probably appreciate the numbering changes as much as anyone. When we review video it's often impossible to see numbers and we really don't have a major need to see them.

Yes, you can now legally snap with 9 players. I think they confused this by saying at least 5 linemen and no more than 4 backs. Essentially what this rule is doing is no longer making it a foul if the offense only has 10 players and they are missing a lineman. They are already disadvantaged because they are short a player. Why add a penalty on top of it? The 5 linemen part really isn't necessary because it's already covered with the numbering requirements (5 players on the line numbered 50-79).

I had my first illegal bat last year and we ended up with 2 on the season. Both were during free kicks and the player was trying to keep the ball from going out of bounds. But I agree they are both rare.

The rest are fine and straight forward and don't happen very often.

1 hour ago, fbofficial said:

No different than the interpretation you have to make today for non-runners. If the defender lifts his leg as the runner is going through the hole or he does a slide tackle to trip him, it's a foul. It didn't happen very often when it was legal so I don't expect it to happen often now.

57 minutes ago, coachpadgett71 said:

Could anyone expand the point of emphasis "expansion of the neutral zone as it applies to Run or Pass option"?

I haven't seen final wording on that, but I believe the intent is to clarify what they mean with the 2-yard belt. There has always been some debate on whether the offensive player had to be engaged in a block to expand to the neutral zone and not be downfield. There are 3 statements in the rule. One mentions they are allowed to be 2 yards downfield and the other mentions they be 2 yards if they engage in the neutral zone and then go 2 yards. I believe they were going to try to clarify which one of those is the correct interpretation. If they go with the latter, RPO just got a lot harder to run because your blockers will have to engage with a defender at the LOS or stay at the LOS.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

Can anyone expand on this?  

Points of emphasis this year include proper procedures for weather delays, the expanded neutral zone as it applies to run or pass options, and the free blocking zone and illegal blocking.

I believe it will be reminding everyone that low blocks can only happen in the free blocking zone by players on the line of scrimmage in the free blocking zone at the snap and while the ball is still in the free blocking zone. There may be a clarification on shot gun situations. Technically low blocks should not be allowed in shot gun because the ball definitely leaves the free blocking zone before anyone could initiate a low block. But the case book has allowed for them to happen as long as they are immediate. That usually also includes only blocking a guy head up or the adjacent gap to the blocker. If you have to reach for the defender head up on the guy next to you, that is not immediate. Some states make it even more specific in that you can only low block in shot gun when the offensive lineman starts in a 3-point or 4-point stance. The logic being if I'm in that stance I'm already low to begin with. I heard rumor there could be an editorial change to add that officially to the NFHS rule or case book which could be the source of this POE. Nothing has been released other than what we see in the press releases.

39 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I believe it will be reminding everyone that low blocks can only happen in the free blocking zone by players on the line of scrimmage in the free blocking zone at the snap and while the ball is still in the free blocking zone. There may be a clarification on shot gun situations. Technically low blocks should not be allowed in shot gun because the ball definitely leaves the free blocking zone before anyone could initiate a low block. But the case book has allowed for them to happen as long as they are immediate. That usually also includes only blocking a guy head up or the adjacent gap to the blocker. If you have to reach for the defender head up on the guy next to you, that is not immediate. Some states make it even more specific in that you can only low block in shot gun when the offensive lineman starts in a 3-point or 4-point stance. The logic being if I'm in that stance I'm already low to begin with. I heard rumor there could be an editorial change to add that officially to the NFHS rule or case book which could be the source of this POE. Nothing has been released other than what we see in the press releases.

Thank you.  I am looking forward to seeing the wording/clarification on this POE.  I feel like there is a lot of inconsistency when it comes to enforcement of low blocks. That is not a knock on officials at all, in conversations with many crews, their understanding and definitions vary and hopefully this will push more consistency.

3 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

Thank you.  I am looking forward to seeing the wording/clarification on this POE.  I feel like there is a lot of inconsistency when it comes to enforcement of low blocks. That is not a knock on officials at all, in conversations with many crews, their understanding and definitions vary and hopefully this will push more consistency.

I agree completely. We don't have a single source for interpretation here to provide that consistency other than "what does the book say?" It's tough to do that at a statewide high school level so that is not a knock on the IHSAA. Some states are just more structured than others. Unless we have a commissioner focused on officiating only it's very difficult to get to that level of involvement with rules and interpretations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I agree completely. We don't have a single source for interpretation here to provide that consistency other than "what does the book say?" It's tough to do that at a statewide high school level so that is not a knock on the IHSAA. Some states are just more structured than others. Unless we have a commissioner focused on officiating only it's very difficult to get to that level of involvement with rules and interpretations.

I will add another caveat: At local meetings I see a lot of people missing that we've seen in years past. I often ask where's Bill, where' s JIm? And the standard answer is becoming they're not applying for the tournament anymore. So given that situation, the interpretation issues are going to continue to get worse as I see it. There is becoming a larger and larger group of officials who have basically zero contact with the IHSAA for rulings, interpretations, mechanics, etc. 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I will add another caveat: At local meetings I see a lot of people missing that we've seen in years past. I often ask where's Bill, where' s JIm? And the standard answer is becoming they're not applying for the tournament anymore. So given that situation, the interpretation issues are going to continue to get worse as I see it. There is becoming a larger and larger group of officials who have basically zero contact with the IHSAA for rulings, interpretations, mechanics, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Once you are licensed, the only thing that's required to keep your license is to renew it each year. If you are a licensed official, you can work regular season games. In order to work the tournament, there meetings you have to attend, clinics you have to attend, tests you have to take, online interpretation presentations, etc.

Thank you!

20 hours ago, SBFootball1 said:

Yes, they are still considered IHSAA officials as you are required to be licensed to work regular season varsity games as well. But the IHSAA is not involved at all in assigning those games. It's up to each school to hire their own officials. If they are found to have hired a non-licensed official they would be subject to forfeiting the game. Things like meeting attendance, rules meeting review, rules test only apply if you are a tournament official as well.

I haven't seen as much of the playoff skipping as IO has seen in the Indy area. I'm only aware of one crew who does it, but they also don't work a full regular season either. There obviously has to be some of this though because 165-ish games get covered every week with a handful of crews not working, but only 145-ish crews apply for the tournament. That would imply 10-12% of the regular season crews don't apply for the tournament.

9 hours ago, JustRules said:

Yes, they are still considered IHSAA officials as you are required to be licensed to work regular season varsity games as well. But the IHSAA is not involved at all in assigning those games. It's up to each school to hire their own officials. If they are found to have hired a non-licensed official they would be subject to forfeiting the game. Things like meeting attendance, rules meeting review, rules test only apply if you are a tournament official as well.

I haven't seen as much of the playoff skipping as IO has seen in the Indy area. I'm only aware of one crew who does it, but they also don't work a full regular season either. There obviously has to be some of this though because 165-ish games get covered every week with a handful of crews not working, but only 145-ish crews apply for the tournament. That would imply 10-12% of the regular season crews don't apply for the tournament.

I’m speaking my association, multiple sports. We had our first Softball meeting last week, three tournament officials missing, all three with the same story. Two of them have done state finals, they’re good umpires.