Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

17 minutes ago, Gipper said:

It's been so refreshing to see all of these bar graphs, pie charts, pivot tables, and every other stat possible.  But what do they really mean?  Not a whole lot.  My guess is that the good folks at the IHS double A will go with the trends, and sadly they don't look that good right now.  I want the season to start as much as the next guy, and actually a little more being that my Gipper, Jr. is  a senior.  He already had to give up golf season and prom, I just hope his last year in high school has some semblance of normalcy.

I hope that for your son as well. You are right though; all the stats and charts don't amount to much. For each program, it will simply boil down to one getting the virus and how each district/school responds to that. My impression so far though, is that a large majority of districts and schools are waiting until something happens to react, rather than doing much planning ahead of time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I hope that for your son as well. You are right though; all the stats and charts don't amount to much. For each program, it will simply boil down to one getting the virus and how each district/school responds to that. My impression so far though, is that a large majority of districts and schools are waiting until something happens to react, rather than doing much planning ahead of time. 

Exactly.  And the threat isn't the same in all areas.  Take care!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert said:

We read in the newspaper that we are all systems go.  Maybe there was an email.  (ah, yes, at 8:20 am)  Masks are not required, except on busses.  Social distancing when possible.  

If I get sick and die, it may have been because they were scared of losing kids to neighboring school districts....ahem, $$$$$.

I got my return to school letter. Pretty much the same as you stated. 

35 minutes ago, Irishman said:

So reactive not proactive. Got it. TERRIBLE!

21 hours ago, Bobref said:

If you think I was comparing rape to a viral illness, you are simply mistaken. I was comparing the attitude of those who view infection as inevitable with the General’s attitude toward an inevitable rape. The comparison was to the attitude toward an inevitable, but bad, experience. My bad for being unclear.

It was pretty clear to me.

• Like 1

Under the school return to school guidelines, it is going to be very difficult to have kids at practice all the time.  The symptoms they have listed include just about every possible symptom known to man.  If the kid has one of those symptoms they have to have a negative covid test or be out 10 calendar days. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Beaver said:

Under the school return to school guidelines, it is going to be very difficult to have kids at practice all the time.  The symptoms they have listed include just about every possible symptom known to man.  If the kid has one of those symptoms they have to have a negative covid test or be out 10 calendar days. 

So when your in line before practice and they say, "have you had a headache in the past 24 hours?", how are you going to answer that (kid that wants to be at football practice)?

20 minutes ago, Jim Beaver said:

Correct.   Symptoms  like congestion are on the list  Half the kids at school have seasonal allergies.  So they have to go to get a covid test if they have allergies? 

My point was the "savvy" player will just lie and say he doesn't have any symptoms.  I wouldn't advocate lying....so don't shoot the messenger here.  Just providing a realistic viewpoint on what would likely happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Titan32 said:

My point was the "savvy" player will just lie and say he doesn't have any symptoms.  I wouldn't advocate lying....so don't shoot the messenger here.  Just providing a realistic viewpoint on what would likely happen.

no different then Concussion protocol and us coaches have been trained to sniff out those issues dealing with concussions, heat illness, sudden cardiac arrest and now Covid-19 

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

no different then Concussion protocol and us coaches have been trained to sniff out those issues dealing with concussions, heat illness, sudden cardiac arrest and now Covid-19 

Coach (Checking For Concussion): "Smith, what day is it?"

Smith: "Gameday!"

Coach: "He's OK to play."

😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Of course that will happen.  I'm one for truth and justice myself, but players will want to take the field.  Kind of gives new meaning to play like a champion...

Edited by Gipper

22 hours ago, Jim Beaver said:

We were told by our trainer yesterday that if a kid test positive the local hospital is saying the kid will have to have cardiac clearance to return to play.  The timeline starting from the positive test could be 4-5 weeks.  It's very important for these kids to stay safe and form their own bubble to protect themselves.

20 hours ago, Titan32 said:

We had our first softball workout and a player said her sister had tested positive in June.  Her sister was in self-quarantine for 2 weeks and is back at work.  But our athlete was told she couldn't participate for at least another week.  The girl was upset and she even said that telling the truth hurt her.  As soon as these types of situations get out we will have to hope that kids and parents are being honest.

Statement issued by Boone grove Athletics: “With the rising number of COVID cases in Porter Township, the administration has made the difficult decision to suspend all athletic workouts until further notice out of an abundance of caution for our community members.”

Statement issued by Boone grove Athletics: “With the rising number of COVID cases in Porter Township, the administration has made the difficult decision to suspend all athletic workouts until further notice out of an abundance of caution for our community members.”

I've said from the beginning, if we are going to shut down because 1 or 2 people test positive there is no point in starting. Until this virus is completely gone (which it likely never will be), there will be some spread no matter what we do. We can't be shut down forever so we have to learn to mitigate the spread as much as possible and restore some activities as much as possible. But also respect the dangers of the virus and take it seriously. But shutting everything down completely is not the answer either. Football and other sports though are going to be a lower priority. Remember through there are people who make a living in the sports industry. It's not just a game for us to watch and our kids to play.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I've said from the beginning, if we are going to shut down because 1 or 2 people test positive there is no point in starting. Until this virus is completely gone (which it likely never will be), there will be some spread no matter what we do. We can't be shut down forever so we have to learn to mitigate the spread as much as possible and restore some activities as much as possible. But also respect the dangers of the virus and take it seriously. But shutting everything down completely is not the answer either. Football and other sports though are going to be a lower priority. Remember through there are people who make a living in the sports industry. It's not just a game for us to watch and our kids to play.

This is the same as my thoughts about general reopenings as well. There HAS to be the expectations that there will be positive tests. There's no way this won't happen. So to shut down practices, restaurants, businesses, churches, etc etc because a single positive tests occurs.... what's the point in even starting/opening up. We have to learn to live with it.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Could not agree more on this.    

Three comments on Boone Grove announcement:

1. BG AD no comment when asked by The Times - decision not supported by AD?

2. No player tested positive -  why did you start then on Monday?

3. Valpo/Chesterton/Wheeler all porter county schools with Wheeler being very close to BG still practicing?

To JustRules point - what was this administration expecting?  If being overly cautious,  they should not have started on Monday.

I become less and less optimistic about having a football season this Fall.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

When it comes to high schools, and school in general, I don’t think just having a positive test is the core issue. Even though someone who is asymptomatic, there is still that chance, no matter how small, of spreading it. The spread is the real concern. Kids go to work, and go home as well as attend work outs. Who is in the home? Neighborhood? The risk of spreading it from any one individual is still high. That said, the real x factor in my opinion is death rates. People from ages 18-20 or so are the group that is seeing the largest spike in positive tests. Even if we can see that most are unaffected, that won’t matter in the least bit to the school or community where that one kid who died from it lives. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:26 PM, Bobref said:

If you think I was comparing rape to a viral illness, you are simply mistaken. I was comparing the attitude of those who view infection as inevitable with the General’s attitude toward an inevitable rape. The comparison was to the attitude toward an inevitable, but bad, experience. My bad for being unclear.

I totally got it. Excellent analogy.

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

When it comes to high schools, and school in general, I don’t think just having a positive test is the core issue. Even though someone who is asymptomatic, there is still that chance, no matter how small, of spreading it. The spread is the real concern. Kids go to work, and go home as well as attend work outs. Who is in the home? Neighborhood? The risk of spreading it from any one individual is still high. That said, the real x factor in my opinion is death rates. People from ages 18-20 or so are the group that is seeing the largest spike in positive tests. Even if we can see that most are unaffected, that won’t matter in the least bit to the school or community where that one kid who died from it lives. 

While true, you can’t stop the world based on the “potential” of one kid passing away from it.  I hate to sound unempathetic but if there is a 99.8% recovery rate, someone is going to make up the .2%.  There are outliers.

I'd never wish death upon anyone, especially an adolescent but we can’t all live in a bubble.

Students 18 and under are more likely to die in a car/bus accident on the way to/from school statistically.  Should we also stop transportation?