Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

33 minutes ago, Temptation said:

While true, you can’t stop the world based on the “potential” of one kid passing away from it.  I hate to sound unempathetic but if there is a 99.8% recovery rate, someone is going to make up the .2%.  There are outliers.

I'd never wish death upon anyone, especially an adolescent but we can’t all live in a bubble.

Students 18 and under are more likely to die in a car/bus accident on the way to/from school statistically.  Should we also stop transportation?

I don't disagree.....but again, none of those numbers matter for the school or community for a kid that does lose his/her life from having it. In a lawsuit happy society, schools are really forced to overreact in a situation like this rather than just keep going no matter the consequences. 

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

While true, you can’t stop the world based on the “potential” of one kid passing away from it.  I hate to sound unempathetic but if there is a 99.8% recovery rate, someone is going to make up the .2%.  There are outliers.

I'd never wish death upon anyone, especially an adolescent but we can’t all live in a bubble.

Students 18 and under are more likely to die in a car/bus accident on the way to/from school statistically.  Should we also stop transportation?

My biggest problem all along has been the unwillingness of those who say "science is the answer", yet refuse to look at factual data and only make decisions based on emotion (fear).

There was a 16 year killed in an accidental shooting here in Evansville last week.  https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/07/06/juvenile-dead-after-sunday-night-shooting-police/5382529002/

The week before that, two teens were killed in a car crash. https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/06/28/names-2-teens-killed-vanderburgh-co-crash-friday-released/3275314001/

The week before that, an 18 year old died in a swimming accident near Jasper - at a graduation party!  https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/jasper-man-who-died-after-falling-into-lake-identified

If you want to only worry about football players, I can remind you that Mario McCullough of Cathedral was shot and killed in March.  

Are these deaths not tragic? Can we not mourn their passing because they didn't die of COVID?  

Football players have died of heat stroke. Football players have been paralyzed. Football players have had life-changing broken bones, ACL tears, etc.   

We know the risks. We take precautions.  We play football.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

My biggest problem all along has been the unwillingness of those who say "science is the answer", yet refuse to look at factual data and only make decisions based on emotion (fear).

There was a 16 year killed in an accidental shooting here in Evansville last week.  https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/07/06/juvenile-dead-after-sunday-night-shooting-police/5382529002/

The week before that, two teens were killed in a car crash. https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/06/28/names-2-teens-killed-vanderburgh-co-crash-friday-released/3275314001/

The week before that, an 18 year old died in a swimming accident near Jasper - at a graduation party!  https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/jasper-man-who-died-after-falling-into-lake-identified

If you want to only worry about football players, I can remind you that Mario McCullough of Cathedral was shot and killed in March.  

Are these deaths not tragic? Can we not mourn their passing because they didn't die of COVID?  

Football players have died of heat stroke. Football players have been paralyzed. Football players have had life-changing broken bones, ACL tears, etc.   

Boom. End the thread.

21 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

It's a disingenuous question to ask if mourning how someone dies is an either/or proposition. All of them are sad stories, but to draw on them for this particular conversation is an apples and oranges comparison. Car accidents, swimming accidents, and gun violence are not contagious viruses that have caused a world wide pandemic. I would add that the responsibility in the situations you mentioned does not fall on a school or coach; where it definitely will for covid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

It's a disingenuous question to ask if mourning how someone dies is an either/or proposition. All of them are sad stories, but to draw on them for this particular conversation is an apples and oranges comparison. Car accidents, swimming accidents, and gun violence are not contagious viruses that have caused a world wide pandemic. I would add that the responsibility in the situations you mentioned does not fall on a school or coach; where it definitely will for covid. 

But it shouldn’t.  Parents/athletes know the risks and participation in athletics is VOLUNTARY.

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

But it shouldn’t.  Parents/athletes know the risks and participation in athletics is VOLUNTARY.

In a perfect world, sure; but you and I both know it is a reality. I made the school reference too though; meaning if a kid gets it while just going to school; gets sick and passes, the responsibility will fall on the school. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

In a perfect world, sure; but you and I both know it is a reality. I made the school reference too though; meaning if a kid gets it while just going to school; gets sick and passes, the responsibility will fall on the school. 

Then my question from the other thread still remains.  Are schools being “essential” and athletics not the ONLY justification for cancelling/changing seasons yet sending thousands of students into the halls of schools in two weeks?

I’m tired of hearing “schools need to come up with a plan in the next few weeks.”

Teachers in my district report for day one in 17 days...

We have a “plan” yet Trump forced the CDC to alter them and we will have changes by next week (despite the fact that my district has been preparing under the previous guidance for two weeks now).

Governor Holcomb expected to speak next week also.  Buckle up folks.  Football/athletics just may be the first domino.

You are correct Buckle up.  What is happening in the south right now is creeping up to Kentucky.  

A pair of important developments surfaced Friday morning as the KHSAA announced they’d delay their fall season,while Kentucky State University announced the cancellation of fall sports.

During a meeting with the Board of Control Friday morning, KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett laid out. A plan for high school sports to return to this fall. This included announcing that fall sports must wait to begin practicing until August 3, as opposed to the original start day of July 15.

Despite this, Tackett made it clear that the plan will be to play sports this fall. “We’re playing this fall,” Tackett said. “We’re going to participate in athletics and activities this fall. We don’t know what it’s going to look like, but we’re going to.”

I feel like it can not be stressed enough but football is voluntary.  Please if you don't feel comfortable with your child playing sports at this time then don't. If you don't feel comfortable with your child at school then don't send them.  We all have different opinions on what is right.  In spring I thought ihsaa made right decision suspending sports.   We didn't know what we were dealing with.   And I feel now is right time after everything I've read for high school sports to return.  Just hate reading a outcry for football to be canceled.  You and your family can easily avoid any danger you might feel by NOT PARTICIPATING OR ATTENDING FOOTBALL GAMES.   

I just don't understand how schools have the right to tell us that we cant have sports because of co-vid. Masks don't prevent co-vid, so kids will be assuming a risk by going to school. Schools are OK with that risk, but the risk of playing sports they control that aspect. That does not sit well with me. If i send my kids to school and assume the covid risk, they deserve the full educational experience which is athletics. 

4 hours ago, bombkicker said:

I just don't understand how schools have the right to tell us that we cant have sports because of co-vid. Masks don't prevent co-vid, so kids will be assuming a risk by going to school. Schools are OK with that risk, but the risk of playing sports they control that aspect. That does not sit well with me. If i send my kids to school and assume the covid risk, they deserve the full educational experience which is athletics. 

LOVE this. 

He knows what he’s talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Covid is a disease with many faces.  I just pray the medical researchers get their act together and find a vaccine.

Unlikely anytime within about the next calendar year at this point.  If we, as a collective society, wait for a vaccine to begin moving away from this thing we have bigger problems than football, or any sport, at any level.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Unlikely anytime within about the next calendar year at this point.  If we, as a collective society, wait for a vaccine to begin moving away from this thing we have bigger problems than football, or any sport, at any level.

As long as we take proper precautions. I am not going to say things are awful... or overblown for that matter but it still feels like we are not being given all the facts about what's going on with Covid.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

He knows what he’s talking about = He agrees with you. 

FYI - They’re not the same thing.

But. But. But. You all say trust Science. 

😘 

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Get their act together?  Inventing a safe and effective drug is not like baking a cake man.  The pharma industry is combining forces and working hard on both a treatment drug and a vaccine and a treatment drug.  All indications is that there will be a vaccine much sooner than Dr. Fauci's original projections.  

https://www.newsweek.com/fauci-optimistic-covid-vaccine-clinical-trial-1516527

You may want to research this one a little more...tremendous efforts are in progress.

We also know that current flu vaccines are nothing close to 100% effective.  People better prepare themselves not just to get warm fuzzy that a vaccine eliminates the problem.  Reduces it, yes...eliminates it, no.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

But. But. But. TD we’ve been told the “virus” isn’t the flu, cold, pneumonia. 

Just because you rename something, and hide/try to “eliminate” the numbers for flu, cold, pneumonia for this year, doesn’t make the “virus” new. 

If 2019. Bad flu season. 

If 2021. Bad flu season. 

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

He knows what he’s talking about = He agrees with you. 

FYI - They’re not the same thing.

This is what I do know, we have a covid unit in the ER I work at. Nurses fight over taking that unit cause its the easiest one. We have been barely getting  patients there for WEEKS. Currently my hospital has 3 patients admitted for covid.  3! We are now 7 days post a holiday that included 0 social distancing. Shouldnt that number be way higher???

-Adam Hudak

Head Coach Wheeler High School

15 years ER Nurse

3 minutes ago, bombkicker said:

This is what I do know, we have a covid unit in the ER I work at. Nurses fight over taking that unit cause its the easiest one. We have been barely getting  patients there for WEEKS. Currently my hospital has 3 patients admitted for covid.  3! We are now 7 days post a holiday that included 0 social distancing. Shouldnt that number be way higher???

-Adam Hudak

15 years ER Nurse

This is interesting.  Coach, I am unfamiliar with the overall geography of the Wheeler area, but appears from looking at a map that it is in the middle of a few larger urban/suburban areas.  If you are able, can you disclose the specific location of your hospital?  You may have done so elsewhere, but I'm just curious.

I work at Franciscan Dyer Hospital. My hospital is 5 min from Lake Central High School. We are the closest Hospital for Chicago Heights in Illinois. My sister hospital in Hammond has 11 admitted patients right now. Hammond hospital is also the closest hospital for the Illinois communities of Lansing and Calumet City.  

53 minutes ago, bombkicker said:

-Adam Hudak

15 years ER Nurse

I'm glad the cases in your area are in the safe zone.  I totally agree that we have been spared the problems that are happening in the larger cities in our country.  Now my question to you as a healthcare professional:

Should all people, when out in public, wear masks when indoors and also outdoors when social distancing can't be maintained?  

First off, I like the way you think! Safe zone....I agree and I am in Lake County with the 2nd most positives cases in the state. 

I wear a mask when I can not maintain social distancing, I wear one at practice and I am prepared to wear one when I go back to school in the fall. I am also prepared to play a full football season. 

• Thanks 1

Call me Sasquatch. Samsquanch. Bigfoot. Any of those three. I’m the social distancing champ. Since before it was “cool”. 

Man I love FACTS over fear. 

God bless 🇺🇸 

ALL LIVES MATTER