Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Adults gathered outside with no symptoms is NOT even close to the same thing as 30 kids in a confined space/classroom with who knows what for 7 hours a day 5 days a week is completely different. 

Probably true but still a bad look to be seen hanging out with your friends/colleagues on Sunday and then trying to call in sick on Monday...

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Probably true but still a bad look to be seen hanging out with your friends/colleagues on Sunday and then trying to call in sick on Monday...

Well; hangovers are a COMPLETELY different story lol

But having a cookout or two or other Summer things does not exclude someone from being concerned about his/her classroom. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Well; hangovers are a COMPLETELY different story lol

But having a cookout or two or other Summer things does not exclude someone from being concerned about his/her classroom. 

Concerned is one thing.  Signing petitions with ridiculous demands is another.

“Positivity rate is the number one thing we’re looking at in the next couple of weeks as it relates to opening schools.”

“10-15% will require immediate action.”

- Governor Holcomb today.

Two weeks ago:  6.3%
Last week:  7.1%

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

That is my biggest concern - teacher to teacher spread.  Years ago, I spent 3 months as a substitute teacher in multiple schools at every level - elementary, middle, and high school. I was considering going back to become a teacher through a masters/transition program.  What turned me off were the discussions I overheard in every teacher's lounge I entered.  I can picture some teachers viewing the lounge as a 'safe space' and removing masks or other PPE to vent and exposing each other in the process.

*And just to clarify, I'm not knocking the teacher's lounge complaining either.  My last two employers have had lunch rooms and I've discovered the employee complaints are not unique to education.  I just had not encountered it prior to that time. 

I would think the teacher to teacher spread would be easier to manage though. They will generally be in their own room most of the time. If they are in a group it could be smaller groups with everyone masked. That would make each instance more similar to what you would have in a retail establishment or grocery story.

Teachers concerns are not without merit. Some of them though tare no different than other workers who are asked to go back to work in risky situations. I would hope schools could accommodate those who are more at risk (have them focus on the eLearning activities) and have those who are comfortable go back to the classroom. There is no easy answer here, and I wish everyone would respect other people's opinions.

Up here, Portage announces Wednesday (7-15-20) that they will have no in-school classes for the first nine weeks (beginning Aug. 12) ..

Portage Township has 7,000 students.   All athletics have been suspended.

Lake County (LC, Crown Point, Munster, Lowell, Merrillville, etc.) has not done that. They still plan to open. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Up here, Portage announces Wednesday (7-15-20) that they will have no in-school classes for the first nine weeks (beginning Aug. 12) ..

Portage Township has 7,000 students.   All athletics have been suspended.

Lake County (LC, Crown Point, Munster, Lowell, Merrillville, etc.) has not done that. They still plan to open. 

Good job lake county. Facts over fear. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

and Porter County Big School Corp Valpo with no change of plans either 

Good. Facts over fear. 

Edited by Guest

The IHSAA has advised officials that they can opt out of working in the 2020 season without penalty. Seniority, tournament history, ratings, tournament level eligibility, etc., for the 2021 season will not be affected.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Temptation said:

I worked at Sears for many years prior to teaching.  Many of the guys spent their down time drinking. They'd often come to work drunk.  Let a teacher try to do that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

A little levity on the topic. I chuckled at this. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c72a98c46bc7359c795c9ee6c7131bff.jpeg

Seeing more and more push back from teachers on social media in terms of COVID-19 protection in insurance etc.  (all totally justified)

One of the top medical journals in the world (New England Journal of Medicine) ran a study on child transmission. Out of everyone they contact traced...Kids couldn't transmit... this is science. This is the science everyone refuses to see.

Edited by Raven67

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I worked at Sears for many years prior to teaching.  Many of the guys spent their down time drinking. They'd often come to work drunk.  Let a teacher try to do that. 

You are crazy if you dont think that hasnt happened.  Heck.  By me there was a wrestling coach/pe teacher who broke up a fight and was hauled in bc he was still drunk from the night before.  also was a creeper and married one of his students.  then he has been able to land head coaching gigs around the area.

6 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

One of the top medical journals in the world (New England Journal of Medicine) ran a study on child transmission. Out of everyone they contact traced...Kids couldn't transmit... this is science. This is the science everyone refuses to see.

THIS!

1 hour ago, Robert said:

So Sears is down with paying Drunks?  

D@mn.....how did I miss not having a career at Sears?  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robert said:

It’d be much more enjoyable at times, that’s for sure...

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Seeing more and more push back from teachers on social media in terms of COVID-19 protection in insurance etc.  (all totally justified)

It’s going to be a LONG next 3-4 weeks, that’s for sure.  

It’s just beginning I’m afraid.  3-4 more weeks of fear spreading certainly won’t help matters.

39 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

So this, and the other camp outbreaks listed in the article are anomalies? https://www.macon.com/news/coronavirus/article244158667.html

Also, it's funny you point to a study in Iceland. I strongly suggest you look a little deeper into exactly what Iceland did because it would have never happened in the US; especially when it comes to surveillance and contact tracing. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

So this, and the other camp outbreaks listed in the article are anomalies? https://www.macon.com/news/coronavirus/article244158667.html

Also, it's funny you point to a study in Iceland. I strongly suggest you look a little deeper into exactly what Iceland did because it would have never happened in the US; especially when it comes to surveillance and contact tracing. 

Fine you caught me Irishman.. I will agree with you, we are all going to die eventually from covid. Im sorry for the front I tried to put on that used factual data to show you different over the last few weeks. Facts are way far inferior to opinions, it just took me a long time to see it. 

7 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Fine you caught me Irishman.. I will agree with you, we are all going to die eventually from covid. Im sorry for the front I tried to put on that used factual data to show you different over the last few weeks. Facts are way far inferior to opinions, it just took me a long time to see it. 

The fact that you referred to a study that ended on April 1st, and the fact that you were using a study from Iceland to further your point as if the same study would be applicable in the US, is all we needed to know. 

Funny that you ignored an article about the spread of covid in several camps around the country...but that is just opinion as well, right? 

By the way; if you go to the actual study, I highlighted the last paragraph. You know...because "opinions" matter more than selective facts. 

EcxFfctWAAMcFEl.jpg

3 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

How is @Irishman's link to a story about campers and staff in Georgia contracting COVID opinion?  

• Like 3

We are at the end of week 2 with team workouts. Starting next week, we will actually begin to see whether we are seeing breakouts with hs teams across the State. This and the positivity rate across the State and by county will determine the likely path forward. You are correct social media fear mongering is only going to escalate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RegionFBFan said:

We are at the end of week 2 with team workouts. Starting next week, we will actually begin to see whether we are seeing breakouts with hs teams across the State. This and the positivity rate across the State and by county will determine the likely path forward. You are correct social media fear mongering is only going to escalate.

Let's hope all goes well.