Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

33 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I have a kid that plays on a very high level club team.  We’ve never payed a dime to play.  Our only cost is admission into the games....which can run anywhere from $10-$25 per day depending on where you play.  That is the almighty $ at work!  Have 500 people come through your door during a day paying $15/person and tell me it isn’t about the $$?

Is that club sport through a high school or are will talking like AAU basketball club type or a summer football 7's or something similar?? I'm referencing school club sports. 

Perhaps America should lock down all hospitals. Medical errors kill 3-4 times as many people as the coronavirus each year.

The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don’t want you to know about

• A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

•  

3 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Have 500 people come through your door during a day paying $15/person and tell me it isn’t about the $$?

22 courts=44 Officials. Security. Floor rental. Tournament management personnel. $15 is cheap entertainment for any event.

3 hours ago, wrcsage said:

I have a kid that plays on a very high level club team.  We’ve never payed a dime to play.  Our only cost is admission into the games....which can run anywhere from $10-$25 per day depending on where you play.  That is the almighty $ at work!  Have 500 people come through your door during a day paying $15/person and tell me it isn’t about the $$?

A very high level club team?

Kudos to you and yours. 

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:10 PM, wrcsage said:

I want someone to answer one simple question:  What is different now than back in March?  The virus is still here.  There is still no vaccine or treatment for it.  I hope we have fall sports and I hope we all go back to school.  But how can anyone sit back and watch all that is going on and say they are confident that it will all happen?  There is literally no difference between July 18 and March 18.  

Nothing has changed.   The virus is not gone.   In-school school is dangerous.  So is football, volleyball, basketball....

We should wait until January at least.

Did you expect the virus to be gone?? Foolish on your part. A lot has changed since March 18, mainly we have learned a lot and have more data18 :

March 18 2,000,000 projected deaths in US  July 18 140,000  -  Learning = not as deadly as originally feared

March 18 - infection percent 40-50% of population  July 18 10% of population

March18 - masks don't matter  July 18 - masks do matter

March 18 - everyone is at risk  July 18 - children under 17 low risk of getting it and transmitting it

March 18 - shut everything down including schools because we don't know and no data July 18 - countries around the globe have opened up including in person school and no breakouts

It's all about risk tolerance. Everyday you get in your car you have risk. 

If your answer is wait until their is a vaccine, we might be waiting for a very long time and still no 100% guarantee/risk free.

OUM and WRCSage - answer is shut everything down I guess until vaccine is here.

I disagree. Move forwarded and learn to live with COVID-19 in our environment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

It's all about risk tolerance. Everyday you get in your car you have risk. 

If your answer is wait until their is a vaccine, we might be waiting for a very long time and still no 100% guarantee/risk free.

OUM and WRCSage - answer is shut everything down I guess until vaccine is here.

I disagree. Move forwarded and learn to live with COVID-19 in our environment.

This. This right here...

38 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Nothing has changed.   The virus is not gone.   In-school school is dangerous.  So is football, volleyball, basketball....

We should wait until January at least.

We can’t get the “virus” at liquor stores, weed dispensaries, restaurants with bars, riots, protests, while looting or at club/aau events. 

We can get the “virus” at church, school, school sports events, Presidential rallies, the RNC, beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. 

The Best is Yet to Come!  

I sort of feel like many schools (particularly in and surrounding Marion County) are now “delaying” their start out of fear of not wanting to be the guinea pig.

even though it’s unfair, the first school corporation that starts reporting multiple positive cases or has an outbreak is going to get roasted by the local media

3 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Temptation, unfortunately I think you are correct. The media and politicians have hijacked this pandemic vs the science. They have created this constant fear mongering and we wonder why many school administrators are afraid to make a call.

Never thought I’d be this guy but the last four months has just beaten me down.

The correlation between folks who are “scared” to return to schools and how they plan on voting in November’s presidential election has become to obvious to ignore.

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

Never thought I’d be this guy but the last four months has just beaten me down.

The correlation between folks who are “scared” to return to schools and how they plan on voting in November’s presidential election has become to obvious to ignore.

I think you have to separate scared and concerned as well. There are some due to health issues who are legitimately scared to go back. Most all would love to go back, but many are concerned that nowhere near enough is being done for a safe return. I would add I am not just referring to teachers and staff that are in the buildings. This includes parents, family at home, and the local communities as well. Sure we can say it will never be 100% safe anywhere we go, and schools are no exception, but this thing is different. 

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I think you have to separate scared and concerned as well. There are some due to health issues who are legitimately scared to go back. Most all would love to go back, but many are concerned that nowhere near enough is being done for a safe return. I would add I am not just referring to teachers and staff that are in the buildings. This includes parents, family at home, and the local communities as well. Sure we can say it will never be 100% safe anywhere we go, and schools are no exception, but this thing is different. 

Concerned?  Sure.  But I’m talking about the folks who are signing petitions, airing their grievances on social media and “outraged” at the motion of returning.

Many folks whom are “concerned” are embellishing those fears for shock value politically.

2020 has beaten me.  The tipping point where rational folks who are correctly informed and use data to make educated decisions are now outnumbered by sheep has been reached.

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Concerned?  Sure.  But I’m talking about the folks who are signing petitions, airing their grievances on social media and “outraged” at the motion of returning.

Many folks whom are “concerned” are embellishing those fears for shock value politically.

2020 has beaten me.  The tipping point where rational folks who are correctly informed and use data to make educated decisions are now outnumbered by sheep has been reached.

I give no credence to online petitions honestly. I have never signed one, regardless. That said, I think the petition itself and school folks are far more focused on local and State elections than federal, especially in Indiana, and this year since the next Governor gets to appoint the next Superintendent of Public Instruction. The board is already tipped far enough in the wrong direction. That focus was in place even prior to the outbreak. 

• Like 1

The other thing that bothers me about the proponents of not returning to school is their belief that kids will isolate and social distance without school. Simply not true. Unless you are a hermit, just walk around your neighborhood, drive by a playground, go by a baseball field, bike by a basketball court, go to a beach, etc.

Here is the reality - kids are together now and without masks. I witness it multiple times every day.

I see parents with kids of all ages hanging out in driveways while kids play, grill out, sit at ball fields and some of these are the same parents and even some that are teachers that don't want to open schools. What????? 

Complete hypocrites!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

The other thing that bothers me about the proponents of not returning to school is their belief that kids will isolate and social distance without school. Simply not true. Unless you are a hermit, just walk around your neighborhood, drive by a playground, go by a baseball field, bike by a basketball court, go to a beach, etc.

Here is the reality - kids are together now and without masks. I witness it multiple times every day.

I see parents with kids of all ages hanging out in driveways while kids play, grill out, sit at ball fields and some of these are the same parents and even some that are teachers that don't want to open schools. What????? 

Complete hypocrites!

This is likely the most inaccurate statement regarding one side of the discussion on the entire thread. From the first line, no one who wants to wait until there are more safety considerations in place thinks kids will stay apart. No one has ever mentioned that there is an unrealistic expectation that kids will isolate. 
The comparisons you are trying to make here are apples and oranges. What kids do outside for a few hours a day with a handful of friends, is NOTHING like being in a classroom 7 hours a day for 5 days a week, with central air with 30 or so other kids, in a building with a few hundred other kids. 

• Like 2