Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

Another issue to consider...Officials were given permission to opt out this season and not lose their standing in the IHSAA.

I believe it was said on another thread, the average age of an official is 57.  If 10% of the officials opt out this season.  What effect would that have on games this season.

If an official is tested positive...is the entire crew done for two weeks?  Could teams have games with only 4 officials?

25 minutes ago, The TW said:

I have seen both the Iceland and Forbes articles covering youth transmission. Is there other credible information that says high school aged kids are not transmitting the virus?

I am loathe to make important decisions on the basis of studies like these. They call it a “novel” coronavirus because it’s new. Most of the studies being done now are, of necessity, short term and very limited in scope. For example, we still don’t know to what degree an infection provides future immunity, if any. This inability to generate reliable information early in the process is absolutely normal in the scientific world, but doesn’t sell well in the era of the 15 second sound bite, or the 280  character tweet. So, a lot of people who have only a passing acquaintance at best with the scientific method just throw up their hands in frustration. There are more than a few of them on the GID.

• Like 1

Just now, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Another issue to consider...Officials were given permission to opt out this season and not lose their standing in the IHSAA.

I believe it was said on another thread, the average age of an official is 57.  If 10% of the officials opt out this season.  What effect would that have on games this season.

If an official is tested positive...is the entire crew done for two weeks?  Could teams have games with only 4 officials?

Unless the crews drives to the games together...I would think not.  The typical questions asked by the health departments down here (after a positive "case") are something along the lines of:

1.  Were you practicing social distancing?

2.  Were you wearing a mask?

3.  Did you have a prolonged conversation with the "case" at a distance closer than 6 feet.

If the answers are appropriate, no further quarantining is required other than the "case" themself obviously.

Pretty much the protocol they follow at the Toyota plant with 7,000 people working there every day since the initial shut down.  I have not heard of any hospitalizations or deaths.

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sorry, must of missed that big announcement, I was busy making the new T-Shirt;  "The Best is Yet to Come"  

😎

carry on the the back and forth 

You made the big announcement concerning a school that isn’t even yours. Kinda odd. But. You do you pal. 
Sorry, not sorry. The Best is Yet to Come. 

Cant wait to just sit back and enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Concerned?  Sure.  But I’m talking about the folks who are signing petitions, airing their grievances on social media and “outraged” at the motion of returning.

Many folks whom are “concerned” are embellishing those fears for shock value politically.

2020 has beaten me.  The tipping point where rational folks who are correctly informed and use data to make educated decisions are now outnumbered by sheep has been reached.

Don’t be my friend. Keep praying. The best is yet to come. Right around the corner. 

58 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

The other thing that bothers me about the proponents of not returning to school is their belief that kids will isolate and social distance without school. Simply not true. Unless you are a hermit, just walk around your neighborhood, drive by a playground, go by a baseball field, bike by a basketball court, go to a beach, etc.

Here is the reality - kids are together now and without masks. I witness it multiple times every day.

I see parents with kids of all ages hanging out in driveways while kids play, grill out, sit at ball fields and some of these are the same parents and even some that are teachers that don't want to open schools. What????? 

Complete hypocrites!

YES!

5 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

You made the big announcement concerning a school that isn’t even yours. Kinda odd. But. You do you pal. 
Sorry, not sorry. The Best is Yet to Come. 

Cant wait to just sit back and enjoy. 

I added to the conversation that was in this thread about schools that have postponed and the July 2nd thread as well, 

I saw no where that KV had been added or mentioned for that matter, and since you are the lone flag bearer of the Kougars on here, I tagged you, furthermore, KV as you know is the same county and our week 1 opponent, but you already know that, hence the relevance of me posting it.  

Nothing ODD about that, considering my role in this website, I post all the time about different schools, different players, throughout the entire state.   

make no mistake about it, I want us back and rolling, however, it is NOT IN MY CONTROL (minus wearing a mask) so I sit back and wait patiently and follow the protocols sent out both state wide and locally.   Seems simple to me 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Unless the crews drives to the games together...I would think not.  The typical questions asked by the health departments down here (after a positive "case") are something along the lines of:

1.  Were you practicing social distancing?

2.  Were you wearing a mask?

3.  Did you have a prolonged conversation with the "case" at a distance closer than 6 feet.

If the answers are appropriate, no further quarantining is required other than the "case" themself obviously.

Pretty much the protocol they follow at the Toyota plant with 7,000 people working there every day since the initial shut down.  I have not heard of any hospitalizations or deaths.

This will not happen in my school, as mandated so far. Unfortunately.   

Edited by Robert

27 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I added to the conversation that was in this thread about schools that have postponed and the July 2nd thread as well, 

I saw no where that KV had been added or mentioned for that matter, and since you are the lone flag bearer of the Kougars on here, I tagged you, furthermore, KV as you know is the same county and our week 1 opponent, but you already know that, hence the relevance of me posting it.  

Nothing ODD about that, considering my role in this website, I post all the time about different schools, different players, throughout the entire state.   

make no mistake about it, I want us back and rolling, however, it is NOT IN MY CONTROL (minus wearing a mask) so I sit back and wait patiently and follow the protocols sent out both state wide and locally.   Seems simple to me 

False

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

While we are sitting here, don't forget our yearly drive is up and running 

Please consider being a booster today for $30 (removes ads) 

@DK_Barons appreciates all our booster friends 

https://gridirondigest.net/clients/donations/ 

I prefer some of the ads. I see a bunch for President Trump. 

35 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I am loathe to make important decisions on the basis of studies like these. They call it a “novel” coronavirus because it’s new. Most of the studies being done now are, of necessity, short term and very limited in scope. For example, we still don’t know to what degree an infection provides future immunity, if any. This inability to generate reliable information early in the process is absolutely normal in the scientific world, but doesn’t sell well in the era of the 15 second sound bite, or the 280  character tweet. So, a lot of people who have only a passing acquaintance at best with the scientific method just throw up their hands in frustration. There are more than a few of them on the GID.

That’s pretty much where I’m coming from. I’ve seen next to nothing that I would put stock in stating that high schoolers will not transmit the virus. What I have seen is that the number of state-wide cases is higher than ever. Considering how little is currently being done to stem the tide, I would give us about a 10% chance of ever lacing them up this season. 

I said and I quote "I SAW NOWHERE THAT KV"    

Now if you posted something, somewhere on this site, so be it, but believe it or not, I do not follow you are anyone else around on here to check on every post, every thread.....

Fact:  Same County:

Fact: week 1 opponent

Fact:  Just posted last week about Gibson Southern QB (just to name one recent) 

but I digress......   You get off on argument....  I got once again sucked into the Vortex...... 

I am disappointed in myself.... I know better

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I said and I quote "I SAW NOWHERE THAT KV"    

Now if you posted something, somewhere on this site, so be it, but believe it or not, I do not follow you are anyone else around on here to check on every post, every thread.....

but I digress......   You get off on argument....  I got once again sucked into the Vortex...... 

I am disappointed in myself.... I know better.  

Having grown up in the Region, did you ever make it down to Cincy to ride The Vortex?

1 minute ago, The TW said:

Having grown up in the Region, did you ever make it down to Cincy to ride The Vortex?

have not  

I was  a Great America guy...   but it was ruined when I was able to go when I was 17 or 18 with a 4-H group on one of those days where park is not open to the public, so then when I went back again and had to wait hours for rides Im like, nope not doing this again    

37 minutes ago, Robert said:

This will not happen in my school, as mandated so far. Unfortunately.   

I should clarify that our school corp won't release their guidelines until later this week.  My comments were only based around the health departments handling of cases.

We need a new google translator.

Replace "out of an abundance of caution" with "Because we don't want to be sued.:

And "For the safety of our students..." with "We just don't want you to catch the virus here.."

Schools need to be open.  And they need to be open as safely as possible.

I hate blanket delays.  If anything a phase in of group 1/ group 2 until students get the feel of the school day.  I'm hearing some school protocols might include one-way hallways and up-only /down-only stair cases?  That will take some getting used to.   

36 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am disappointed in myself.... I know better

A veteran official gave me some advice very early in my career: “Don’t get in arguments with coaches. It’s like wrestling a pig in the mud. Eventually you realize that you’re covered in filth and the pig is enjoying himself.“

• Disdain 1

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A veteran official gave me some advice very early in my career: “Don’t get in arguments with coaches. It’s like wrestling a pig in the mud. Eventually you realize that you’re covered in filth and the pig is enjoying himself.“

So discussions are arguments?  Wow. 
Nice veiled shot. 

14 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

So discussions are arguments?  Wow. 
Nice veiled shot. 

Dann, that was intended as a comment on @Coach Nowlin’s observation that he “should have known better,” but went ahead anyway. That’s all. That persecution complex is going to get you in trouble on the field if you’re not careful.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, Irishman said:

It does not override local decisions. School districts still have the choice to allow kids to play or not. 

Here is Hamilton Heights Schools choice(as of today, at least):

athletics.jpg