Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

Just curious, and I know you tried to present some facts/guestimations.....what is different from now and March?  Projections don’t do much for me!  And I am all for going forward with fall sports....but I don’t see anything different from then until now as far as the virus goes?

Edited by wrcsage

9 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

What is considered to be outdoor public space?  Is school football field considered public space for both local public school and private school?

Yes for the most part it would be considered an outdoor public space. Aspects that would not apply: team and officials locker rooms and press box.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, The TW said:

I have seen both the Iceland and Forbes articles covering youth transmission. Is there other credible information that says high school aged kids are not transmitting the virus?

Somewhat to the contrary in recent studies.  Some have split the youth level into kids under 10 and those in school older than 10 and have seen differences in transmission potential.  A recent study, out of South Korea, showed that, while kids 10 and under seem to transmit at lower levels than adults, kids that are 10-18 seem to transmit at a similar level as adults.  Most studies that I've seen in the past have lumped kids into the under 18 age group.  It'd be interesting to see what the numbers look like in the Iceland study looks like accounting for further subdivision.  Another trend that is starting to show is the number of case appearing in younger people compared to what we saw earlier in the onset.  Deaths are not yet tracking at earlier levels, and may not, but hospitalizations are on the upswing again and, in several places, putting healthcare resources under strain ... e.g., over 40 hospitals in Florida are at capacity in ICU beds, Houston has already maxxed out and is accepting adult patients at the children's hospital due to resource constraints, etc.

One of the bigger issues that I think tend to get lost in the back-and-forths that I've seen is that folks are looking at the outcome of a study and not the reasoning behind it.  For example, there's a recent study out of Germany that says that says that transmission rates are lower for kids, but if you read through the details you see that German schools are practicing mandatory face coverings and social distancing AND as a society, they are doing the same on a very constant basis.  Those results really can't be applied to the US moving forward since we don't seem to do social distancing anymore than at a minimal level as well as masking ... and given that those issues are not even treated as health issues anymore and much more about politics, the outputs aren't likely to be replicated with a difference in inputs. 

Article on older student transmission rate ... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

Article looking at increase in younger population, not school age, contraction ... https://www.vox.com/2020/7/18/21328358/covid-19-cases-by-age-florida-arizona-texas-miami

Article from German study about school kids and transmission ... https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/schools-coronavirus-infection-rate-low-german-study-finds.html

Site that allows you to look at groupings by age among other things ... allows you to see changes in hospitalizations over time ... https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I said and I quote "I SAW NOWHERE THAT KV"    

Now if you posted something, somewhere on this site, so be it, but believe it or not, I do not follow you are anyone else around on here to check on every post, every thread.....

Fact:  Same County:

Fact: week 1 opponent

Fact:  Just posted last week about Gibson Southern QB (just to name one recent) 

but I digress......   You get off on argument....  I got once again sucked into the Vortex...... 

I am disappointed in myself.... I know better

👍

22 hours ago, Bobref said:

Dann, that was intended as a comment on @Coach Nowlin’s observation that he “should have known better,” but went ahead anyway. That’s all. That persecution complex is going to get you in trouble on the field if you’re not careful.

👍

21 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Not a problem here Danno.

👍

2 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

For a private school as well?

My son's baseball team just played at a private school's ball field yesterday and the school had things in place such as:

• Athletes and coaches must be masked from the time that they leave their vehicles in the parking lot and remain masked until the start of game/practice.  After the game, they had to be masked until getting back into their vehicles.
  • All people, including fans, had to be masked upon entering the facility.
  • If social distancing was possible in the stands, then masks could be removed.  If going to the bathroom or leaving then masks had to be put back on.

These guidelines are stricter than the local requirements, but in line with local suggestions and requests.

My daughter’s 8U softball league sent out mandates/guidelines before the season, including:

- No use of dugouts during games.

- Immediate family members only.

- Maximum capacity at each field is 100, including spectators,  players, and coaches.  They were ADAMANT they would have a representative at each contest to count/turn people away.

- No post game handshake line.

Her final game is tonight and I can say with 100% accuracy that only the last guideline above has been adhered to.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

My daughter’s 8U softball league sent out mandates/guidelines before the season, including:

- Maximum capacity at each field is 100, including spectators,  players, and coaches.  They were ADAMANT they would have a representative at each contest to count/turn people away.

Her final game is tonight and I can say with 100% accuracy that only the last guideline above has been adhered to.

Same in 10-U up this way 

The girls lining up on the base lines post game to wave at each other and say good game does bring a smile to my face 

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Same in 10-U up this way 

The girls lining up on the base lines post game to wave at each other and say good game does bring a smile to my face 

With my boys its lining up on opposite sides of the field and tipping hats to each other and, in the tournaments, either wishing or being wished good luck by the opponent if they are moving into the next round.  There have been a couple of games where they did the "elbow bumps."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

That is why we can't contain this virus.  No one wants to follow the rules.  It's a shame that we support a sport that calls for discipline and sacrifice but we can't do it as a group to protect people.  

I’m pretty sure I tried to explain this a few days ago and a couple of blowhards just wanted to rip me up!!  Yes, there are precautions/guidelines in place, but NOBODY is following them!  You have to wear a mask into the building of an aau tourney and then once you pay (and they get your $$) you can do whatever the hell you want!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I’m pretty sure I tried to explain this a few days ago and a couple of blowhards just wanted to rip me up!!  Yes, there are precautions/guidelines in place, but NOBODY is following them!  You have to wear a mask into the building of an aau tourney and then once you pay (and they get your $$) you can do whatever the hell you want!

I'm glad they followed the rules at the ones I've attended. They were high end Elite events.

There is a certain amount of risk "X" that a society has to agree to in order to function.  The risk "X" is always higher in urban areas.  "X" is always higher in urban areas...think of it of how many ways are their to die in New York City vs Fort Branch Indiana.  To have a functioning society, people will die.  Does it mean society or those those that support it have some sort of lack a value for life?  The differing opinions here are all about risk tolerance and what is "necessary" for a functioning society.  To get back to anything close to normalcy, I think folks are going to have to agree to slide their value "X" toward the end of greater risk.  Don't watch TV, look at the STATs that matter on the web from your state health department.  If a social media headline says the word "case" in it.....don't read it (its fear mongering).  Let's talk about how to manage risk, not how to hide from it.  Whatever stance you take....make sure you can live with it when the issue hits close to home.  One size won't fit all here, there could be counties in Indiana that shouldn't play sports.   The target will move....adjustments will have to be made.  Be willing to do the hard work (isn't that what football teaches us)....don't cancel out of fear.

• Thanks 2

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick has reportedly come out in favor of delaying the start of the college football season until after we see what effect kids coming back to school will have on the numbers. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/notre-dame-ad-jack-swarbrick-reportedly-wants-2020-season-delayed/

I think we all know what that effect will be.

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Same in 10-U up this way 

Same with 12u baseball about everywhere we have played with the addition of no sunflower seeds and I'm very pleased the kids are able to get out and do something.  I don't believe anyone really thinks banning sunflower seeds is actually going to help anything, as far as covid-19 pertains, but it's annoying sweeping them off the dugout floors so banning them is the silver lining of the pandemic.

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

think of it of how many ways are their to die in New York City vs Fort Branch Indiana. 

I don’t know. Have you seen some of the railroad crossings and 4-way intersections when the corn is up? Fort Branch can be pretty dangerous. 😀

(Sorry, couldn’t resist! Lol)

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t know. Have you seen some of the railroad crossings and 4-way intersections when the corn is up? Fort Branch can be pretty dangerous. 😀

(Sorry, couldn’t resist! Lol)

Wow...my grammar there is superb.  I should stick to posting from a PC where I can actually see the characters I’m typing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Depends on the effect you are talking about....more incidence given testing?  I have no doubt.  But will that higher incidence equal seriousness or magnitidue?  

Guess it depends on if we listen to the press......they don't always focus on both sides of the risk equation.

Ever see the football schedule at ND?....your honor, I rest my case.

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Mayor Hogsett with an afternoon press conference scheduled...rumors swirling.

“No Marion County school can resume before August 5th and we are meeting with school administrators early next week to see when and IF in person instruction can take place."