Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

On 7/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, TrojanDad said:

Depends on the effect you are talking about....more incidence given testing?  I have no doubt.  But will that higher incidence equal seriousness or magnitidue?  

Guess it depends on if we listen to the press......they don't always focus on both sides of the risk equation.

Well said, sir.  Couldn't agree more.

19 hours ago, Temptation said:

“No Marion County school can resume before August 5th and we are meeting with school administrators early next week to see when and IF in person instruction can take place."

It’s happening...just a lot slower than last spring.  

1 hour ago, wrcsage said:

Illinois about ready to pull the plug on fall sports and not start anything until January.  

I saw somewhere where Iowa is only doing 7 regular season games + tournament. 

I think the IHSAA here has a couple back up plans. 

I wouldn't be opposed to starting in January. 

1 hour ago, TheStatGuy said:

I saw somewhere where Iowa is only doing 7 regular season games + tournament. 

I think the IHSAA here has a couple back up plans. 

I wouldn't be opposed to starting in January. 

Curious...why do you think it will be any safer in January?

Unfortunately, we keep going from...the death rate is what matters...to... positivity rate matters.... to... cases matter!!! All the while the death rate tanks... this was and is about saving lives.. and we are doing it. The damage that not going to school will do is unrepairable. I feel sorry for a generation that has had to watch adults whine and complain over EVERYTHING. There is no end in sight. When covid goes, you can guarantee we will have something else shutting us down. We will never be the same.. 

30 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Unfortunately, we keep going from...the death rate is what matters...to... positivity rate matters.... to... cases matter!!! All the while the death rate tanks... this was and is about saving lives.. and we are doing it. The damage that not going to school will do is unrepairable. I feel sorry for a generation that has had to watch adults whine and complain over EVERYTHING. There is no end in sight. When covid goes, you can guarantee we will have something else shutting us down. We will never be the same.. 

I said from day one when the talk of school returning began that it would be the adults who were the biggest barriers.

I see you at the public pool (with hundreds of other patrons) with your kids, you post pictures from your kids’ travel (where you gathered with hundreds of other adults and children and stayed in hotels) baseball/softball tournaments all over social media and suddenly in mid-July, you “fear” sending them back to school or returning  to work yourself and want to “save lives.”

Its maddening.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Have faith brother. The Best is Yet to Come. 

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

I said from day one when the talk of school returning began that it would be the adults who were the biggest barriers.

I see you at the public pool (with hundreds of other patrons) with your kids, you post pictures from your kids’ travel (where you gathered with hundreds of other adults and children and stayed in hotels) baseball/softball tournaments all over social media and suddenly in mid-July, you “fear” sending them back to school or returning  to work yourself and want to “save lives.”

Its maddening.

Again, President Trump (don’t care if you like him, love him, whatever) was correct. We can’t let the solution be worse than the problem. 

4 hours ago, Raven67 said:

I have work with children who have interrupted schooling, or even no school at all.  It is repairable.  It simply takes diligence and an understanding of what you are dealing with.  It's not exactly difficult.  You simply can't skip any steps.  You go back to where they are and proceed.  I'm watching a lot of whining and complaining.  People calling each other packs of wolves or flocks of sheep.  Most claiming to be Christian.  A splintered cross. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Then quit complaining !

5 hours ago, Temptation said:

Its maddening.

You too !

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

Then quit complaining !

You too !

Who is complaining?  Get them back in school, adjust to life and move on, just like 99.8% of the population has been able to do.

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of many adults, that's all.

9 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Curious...why do you think it will be any safer in January?

Just being optimistic. I don't see anything returning to somewhat normal till at least then.

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Who is complaining?  Get them back in school, adjust to life and move on, just like 99.8% of the population has been able to do.

Barron Trump isn't going back to school in classroom, why should every other single student? 

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Have faith brother. The Best is Yet to Come. 

Again, President Trump (don’t care if you like him, love him, whatever) was correct. We can’t let the solution be worse than the problem. 

If Barron Trump isn't going back to in class learning.. Why should our kids? 

19 minutes ago, Temptation said:

BINGO

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

If Barron Trump isn't going back to in class learning.. Why should our kids? 

I don't claim to know this, but my guess would be that he was privately tutored before Covid. Again, I'm probably am wrong,  but that would be my educated guess. 

Question to those of you who feel that we should aim for all, or even partial, virtual learning; what about students whose parents (either a single parent or both parents) are working and childcare is an issue?  I don't know that this question has been asked on this thread, it's hard to keep track.

14 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I don't claim to know this, but my guess would be that he was privately tutored before Covid. Again, I'm probably am wrong,  but that would be my educated guess. 

Question to those of you who feel that we should aim for all, or even partial, virtual learning; what about students whose parents (either a single parent or both parents) are working and childcare is an issue?  I don't know that this question has been asked on this thread, it's hard to keep track.

In my district (and many others) it’s about SO much more than education/learning.  We feed them, we are their only social interaction in many cases, we are their only outlet for physical activity and movement and sometimes their only “safe place.”

Its jumped the shark, especially in impoverished communities.  The “risk” of getting the virus pales in comparison to the damage being done DAILY in their home environment.

15 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

what about students whose parents (either a single parent or both parents) are working and childcare is an issue?

Those parents should continue to do the same thing they do for childcare when school is not in session. Schools aren't babysitters. Any parent looking at it like that isn't doing it right.

25 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

He attends a private school. 

18 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Those parents should continue to do the same thing they do for childcare when school is not in session. Schools aren't babysitters. Any parent looking at it like that isn't doing it right.

But with most districts improving their remote learning models this fall, live instruction will still be taking place during school hours.  Leaving kids home alone or taking them to the local day care isn’t going to cut it.

37 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

President Trump LITERALLY answered the question if he is ok and supportive of his son, Baron, and his grandkids going back to school. The answer is yes. He fully supports and will have in person learning. Now. Being relatives of the POTUS, how that looks, is just like any other POTUS. 
This is directed at stat boy. 

The President doesn't have to worry about Baron. His school has gone to virtual learning . They don't even start til Sept. 8th. If there is any "hybrid" learning at the school it will be set as to when/which students come in at certain times...well heck I'd be fine with that also. He can say that because his son may not have to set foot in school at all. I'm sure his grandchildren have the same option. 

KInd of like Pence saying the same thing. Well you don't have to make that choice, your kids are grown. With the 1000 opened jobs here in Indiana and subs needed desperately feel free to send Mrs. Pence to a public school to sub or volunteer where she would be an asset with her teaching license.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Agreed, but the reality is that schools need to take that into consideration when making their decisions.  We can't live with blinders to this issue on...

2 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

We can't live with blinders to this issue on...

Taxpayers already fund the schools. I don't want my tax dollars funding babysitters. I'm not blind to the issue, it's an issue of individual responsibility.