Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The 2020 College Football Season is Toast

Bobref

Heard Paul Finebaum this morning say CFB this year is “dying the death of a thousand cuts,” with the announcements that the ACC and B1G will play only conference games this year.  The record should show I made that very same reference yesterday before those announcements, after hearing what the Ivy League and Stanford have done.g

At some point a movement in any direction reaches a “tipping point.” If you’ve read the Malcolm Gladwell book, you know what I mean. It’s the point where momentum becomes irreversible, and there’s no longer any possibility of changing direction.

The rest of the Power 5 conferences will announce something similar today or tomorrow. Other conferences will follow suit. Smaller schools will cancel their seasons ... because without the big payday a non-con game against a Power 5 school provides, they can’t make it financially. Then, when training camps start, you’re going to see a bunch of positive tests. Programs will “suspend” activity for a week as a band-aid. Then, some programs will cancel, or states will restrict fan attendance sharply. Other programs will “copycat,” because they don’t want to appear insensitive to the health concerns. The slide has started, and I don’t see any way to arrest it.

I really, really hope I’m wrong

• Thanks 1

I too, feel like it’s a matter of WHEN and not IF at this point.  I just wonder how far reaching it will be.

Less than 200 essential personnel are required to play a D1 college football game, yet we are about to pack thousands of kids in the hallways of schools in the coming weeks.

I just don’t get the inconsistency.

I expect to see the SEC and Big 12 announce a joint scheduling agreement, allowing their schools to play non conference games against each other this season.  

This COVID issue will likely push college football into the next era of realignment, where we will see 4 conferences with 16 to 18 schools in each conference.  The SEC will absorb the OK schools while the PAC 12 will absorb the Texas schools.  KS schools will likley go Big Ten.  ISU could be out of the mix   WV to the ACC

Big changes coming

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Heard Paul Finebaum this morning say CFB this year is “dying the death of a thousand cuts,” with the announcements that the ACC and B1G will play only conference games this year.  The record should show I made that very same reference yesterday before those announcements, after hearing what the Ivy League and Stanford have done.g

At some point a movement in any direction reaches a “tipping point.” If you’ve read the Malcolm Gladwell book, you know what I mean. It’s the point where momentum becomes irreversible, and there’s no longer any possibility of changing direction.

The rest of the Power 5 conferences will announce something similar today or tomorrow. Other conferences will follow suit. Smaller schools will cancel their seasons ... because without the big payday a non-con game against a Power 5 school provides, they can’t make it financially. Then, when training camps start, you’re going to see a bunch of positive tests. Programs will “suspend” activity for a week as a band-aid. Then, some programs will cancel, or states will restrict fan attendance sharply. Other programs will “copycat,” because they don’t want to appear insensitive to the health concerns. The slide has started, and I don’t see any way to arrest it.

I really, really hope I’m wrong

I hope you're wrong, too.  College football, besides being great entertainment, is a real economic engine.  Just like college basketball, which could also be on the chopping block...

1 hour ago, DT said:

I expect to see the SEC and Big 12 announce a joint scheduling agreement, allowing their schools to play non conference games against each other this season.  

This COVID issue will likely push college football into the next era of realignment, where we will see 4 conferences with 16 to 18 schools in each conference.  The SEC will absorb the OK schools while the PAC 12 will absorb the Texas schools.  KS schools will likley go Big Ten.  ISU could be out of the mix   WV to the ACC

Big changes coming

I think this will be the force behind Notre Dame joining a conference as well. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

I think this will be the force behind Notre Dame joining a conference as well. 

ND is safely in the ACC.  they just need to formalize the agreement.  COVID will help them take that final step

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No problem. I’m all for it. More direct path to the playoff.

Yep.  A conference championship game is essential.

Big Ten North    Nebraska/MN/KS/IA/WISC/MICH/PUR/NW

Big Ten South   K State/IL/IN/MSU/OSU/PSU/MD/RUT

PAC 16 North    Wash/WSU/OR/OSU/CAL/STAN/USC/UCLA

PAC 16 South     Utah/COLO/ARZ/ASU/TX/TT/BAY/TCU

SEC West        OU/OSU/LSU/TA&M/MS/MSU/MIZZOU/ARK

SEC East          GA/FL/SC/TN/VANDY/KY/AUB/ALA

ACC NOrth     SYR/BC/ND/NC/DK/Pitt/WV/VA

ACC South     MIA/FSU/CLE/NCS/WF/LV/GT/VT

True or false:  Since many cases are asymptotic, being ON CAMPUS and being tested DAILY is actually a safer environment for athletes than were the season to be shut down and for them to be learning from home?

Do you really think that 18 to 22 year old athletes are going to put their social lives on hold if the season is cancelled and campuses close so that all education is remote?

If they are at home, they will still hang out with their colleagues in public and spread the disease (perhaps unknowingly) which is even more dangerous.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

No problem. I’m all for it. More direct path to the playoff.

Except them pesky Tigers in Death Valley, SC......but If I were a betting man, there’s NO WAY ND would join the ACC if they had to be in the same division as them. 

2 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Except them pesky Tigers in Death Valley, SC......but If I were a betting man, there’s NO WAY ND would join the ACC if they had to be in the same division as them. 

Bring ‘em on. They’ve had a nice run. But we’ll end their 15 min. of fame ... relatively speaking.

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

Excellent point.

I'll say it here too,  universities have been put on BLAST by POTUS Trump, whether we like it or not.

Screw around and watch it all implode.

25 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

youtube tv and or FUBU TV should have replaced god awful satellite long ago....  buy the stand along NFL Red zone package and youre set 

Nah, much more of a Saturday guy.  My marriage won’t allow for two days of wall to wall football.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

As far as internets go.....   if there is a will, there is way.....  put that on your next t-shirt !!  

FUBU or FUBO    

though I did kick some cool FUBU back in the day 

You serious?  How many of your students at Rensselaer had internet issues during all this e learning?  
Facts matter kid. Do better. 
Thanks for replying. 
Not surprised you did.