Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The 2020 College Football Season is Toast

Bobref

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

As far as internets go.....   if there is a will, there is way.....  put that on your next t-shirt !!  

FUBU or FUBO    

though I did kick some cool FUBU back in the day 

You are a gimmick guy. Let me know when you need some advice on shirts. 

You asked this....

6 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

WTH is FUBU?

Doesnt work for all. Gotta have great internet. 

I responded to your question with a link and correct spelling of stream 

Then made reference to clothing apparel FUBU which was the mistake I made on my original post about streaming services.  

Your argumentative mentality took a leap from me offering up experiences and opinion on simple thing such as online streaming tv options vs cable/sat provider to @Temptation you interjected and made a statement about that by saying, " Doesn't work for all.  Gotta have great internet"   for which I added a great slogan, suggested you may add it to your list of other slogans you go to around these parts, and you leaped again about students in high school or below and how they may not have had great internet during distance learning.  One more leap and you could set the Jasper county Triple jump record!!    Sheesh    

like I said, if there is a will there is a way:   My school set up 9 different hotspots throughout the town and outskirts of town that would only connect to their school issue devices, along with area business that also allowed for usage of their hotspots (MdDonalds being one) but again, that had ZERO to do with the conversation that was being had between me and @Temptation about direct tv  vs stream, which I admit as of right now has only been had by me since he hasn't responded to those comments, nor does he have to really.  

Just going step by step on how we somehow got from 

College Football is Toast 

to streams 

to 

distant learning Internet availability in Rensselaer Indiana 

I blame myself really, got sucked into the Vortex.........   

carry on.   

17 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

You are a gimmick guy. Let me know when you need some advice on shirts. 

I do like my side hustles !!!   😂

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

You asked this....

I responded to your question with a link and correct spelling of stream 

Then made reference to clothing apparel FUBU which was the mistake I made on my original post about streaming services.  

Your argumentative mentality took a leap from me offering up experiences and opinion on simple thing such as online streaming tv options vs cable/sat provider to @Temptation you interjected and made a statement about that by saying, " Doesn't work for all.  Gotta have great internet"   for which I added a great slogan, suggested you may add it to your list of other slogans you go to around these parts, and you leaped again about students in high school or below and how they may not have had great internet during distance learning.  One more leap and you could set the Jasper county Triple jump record!!    Sheesh    

like I said, if there is a will there is a way:   My school set up 9 different hotspots throughout the town and outskirts of town that would only connect to their school issue devices, along with area business that also allowed for usage of their hotspots (MdDonalds being one) but again, that had ZERO to do with the conversation that was being had between me and @Temptation about direct tv  vs stream, which I admit as of right now has only been had by me since he hasn't responded to those comments, nor does he have to really.  

Just going step by step on how we somehow got from 

College Football is Toast 

to streams 

to 

distant learning Internet availability in Rensselaer Indiana 

I blame myself really, got sucked into the Vortex.........   

carry on.   

I do like my side hustles !!!   😂

Your voice is being heard. Keep it up. Take a stand my friend. 

I was speaking truth and backing it up. Isn’t that what these very boards are for?  

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

IU football suspends practice, 6 positive tests

Does anyone think that, as if by magic, positive tests are not happening once the regular season starts? If the universal response to a player with an active infection is “suspend practice for a week,” do you see anyone saying “we can’t practice this week, but we’ll still show up Saturday to play?” If the answer is “no,” then how are we going to have a season? 

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Does anyone think that, as if by magic, positive tests are not happening once the regular season starts? If the universal response to a player with an active infection is “suspend practice for a week,” do you see anyone saying “we can’t practice this week, but we’ll still show up Saturday to play?” If the answer is “no,” then how are we going to have a season? 

Good question. Maybe if team "X" has any number test positive, they have to sit out for week or two and team just has to use next player up in practice and game?? 

55 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Good question. Maybe if team "X" has any number test positive, they have to sit out for week or two and team just has to use next player up in practice and game?? 

What’s the justification for treating an in-season positive any differently than they’re treating it now?

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

What’s the justification for treating an in-season positive any differently than they’re treating it now?

So yeah, I think you are asking why not just have he positive ones sit out for a time period and keep practicing with the next player up. Maybe they are waiting on test results from other players to make sure it didn't spread, so all have to sit out??

16 minutes ago, psaboy said:

So yeah, I think you are asking why not just have he positive ones sit out for a time period and keep practicing with the next player up. Maybe they are waiting on test results from other players to make sure it didn't spread, so all have to sit out??

What I’m asking is if a player testing positive right now requires suspension of team activities for a week or two for reasons of safety - as we’ve seen happen several times already - why would a player testing positive during the season have a different result?

• Like 1

unfortunately college athletics historically has its share of dishonesty in regards to trying to creating the competitive edge.......it will be interesting as to what programs will withhold, mislead or delay testing results in the wake of the so-called "big game".......time will tell

On 7/19/2020 at 7:32 PM, Bobref said:

What I’m asking is if a player testing positive right now requires suspension of team activities for a week or two for reasons of safety - as we’ve seen happen several times already - why would a player testing positive during the season have a different result?

I'm not sure if this is what they are thinking, but a possible explanation is they have the ability to suspend operations without disrupting things significantly. It would be much more disruptive to take a week off during the season. I don't believe every team that has positive tests are suspending operations. They are just the ones we hear the most about. We could come out of this with examples of different approaches and those learnings could be applied to the regular season. All of this is pure speculation on my part so don't take it as fact or inside knowledge that I have.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:32 PM, Bobref said:

The difference in those two is that in season, the student will have been in school as well. So contact tracing will show more people have been exposed. That said, the possibility still exists in both cases that the kid got it at home. Some schools are saying that there is a possibility if a kid at school has it, that not everyone in the room will need to be quarantined. Administration will look at who was in close contact first and isolate those people. 

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The difference in those two is that in season, the student will have been in school as well. So contact tracing will show more people have been exposed. That said, the possibility still exists in both cases that the kid got it at home. Some schools are saying that there is a possibility if a kid at school has it, that not everyone in the room will need to be quarantined. Administration will look at who was in close contact first and isolate those people. 

I don’t disagree. But my point is that, wisely or unwisely, some programs suspend operations after a positive test. If they’re doing it now, won’t they also do it during the season, if that’s what they believe is required for public health reasons? Going to be some schedule scrambling, at a minimum.

• Like 1

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick has reportedly come out in favor of delaying the start of the college football season until after we see what effect kids coming back to school will have on the numbers. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/notre-dame-ad-jack-swarbrick-reportedly-wants-2020-season-delayed/

I think we all know what that effect will be.

I heard an ESPN analyst say he would welcome NCAA football making the permanent move to the spring. That way you could see football year round. There are obvious questions with this. Will the number 1 pick (or top guys) play in the spring?

However from the school perspective it should be a no brainer! Play Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. The tv revenue for the schools would skyrocket so no programs would have to be cut. If high school were still in the fall it would allow coaches to watch more players in person.

It is an interesting thought and I would love it, but I don’t think it is going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the NCAA kicked the can down the road and it's up to conferences now. 

Will be interesting too see what happens. 

On 7/12/2020 at 2:25 PM, DannEllenwood said:

I'll say it here too,  universities have been put on BLAST by POTUS Trump, whether we like it or not.

Screw around and watch it all implode.

The NCAA could give 2 craps about what trump says.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, cw13 said:

unfortunately college athletics historically has its share of dishonesty in regards to trying to creating the competitive edge.......it will be interesting as to what programs will withhold, mislead or delay testing results in the wake of the so-called "big game".......time will tell

See Colorado State. 

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Seems the NCAA kicked the can down the road and it's up to conferences now. 

Will be interesting too see what happens. 

The NCAA could give 2 craps about what trump says.

😂 

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

They dont. Trump stops being president in 182 days. The NCAA will be around much longer. 

Follow along and sharpen your #2. 

"And the quarterback is toast!"  A little of topic, but it's a very memorable movie line (Die Hard if you're an old fogie like me).  Much like high school, I'm hoping for a season, but I just look at trends and get nervous.  Notwithstanding, Purdue brings a lot to the table and will hopefully stay healthy if the season goes.  Their new schedule does look tough, going to Michigan won't be easy, but at least we get Ohio State at home.