Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Suspended or cancelled season

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Spring football skips over a lot of problems. The big one being that we may have a vaccine by February or March.....

We also will have experience in the in-school Covid way of life.  

12 schools up our way are suspended....as you are reading this. 

You would like spring football

Another one...

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

See you then. I won’t be. 

You’re fortunate the meetings aren’t held in Merrillville this year. Town Council voted for mandatory masking in public spaces starting at 11 a.m. today. I know you wouldn’t consider defying the law. 😷

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You’re fortunate the meetings aren’t held in Merrillville this year. Town Council voted for mandatory masking in public spaces starting at 11 a.m. today. I know you wouldn’t consider defying the law. 😷

I just wouldn’t have gone. Not rocket science Bob. 

Just now, DannEllenwood said:

I just wouldn’t have gone. Not rocket science Bob. 

So, you would miss a meeting, and thereby potentially disadvantage your crew in their tournament rankings - not to mention your own prospect of self-improvement - just because you won’t wear a mask for 90 minutes? Interesting ... Wonder how the other crew members feel about that?

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, you would miss a meeting, and thereby potentially disadvantage your crew in their tournament rankings - not to mention your own prospect of self-improvement - just because you won’t wear a mask for 90 minutes? Interesting ... Wonder how the other crew members feel about that?

I work in health care and people who think this is a joke and are infallible thinking they do not have to wear a mask, I sure hope you never test positive and give it to our family, parents etc.  This is no longer the flu.  They best way to prevent the spread is a mask.  Plain and simple.  While it will not stop it, it helps slow it down.  And wash your hands more then normal.  I was in Merrillville Friday and with the county with the 2nd highest case load I was shocked how many people store employees and customers did not wear one.

2 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

I work in health care and people who think this is a joke and are infallible thinking they do not have to wear a mask, I sure hope you never test positive and give it to our family, parents etc.  This is no longer the flu.  They best way to prevent the spread is a mask.  Plain and simple.  While it will not stop it, it helps slow it down.  And wash your hands more then normal.  I was in Merrillville Friday and with the county with the 2nd highest case load I was shocked how many people store employees and customers did not wear one.

I fear you’re fighting an uphill battle, my friend. Unfortunately, this is no longer primarily a public health issue. All sides have “weaponized” the pandemic for use in political warfare. So, decisions are often driven by concerns other than public health.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Spring football skips over a lot of problems. The big one being that we may have a vaccine by February or March.....

We also will have experience in the in-school Covid way of life.  

12 schools up our way are suspended....as you are reading this. 

You would like spring football

OUM:

I want you to sell all the baseball coaches, players, families, schools, the idea that they cannot play their sport in the spring because football is being played instead.   

If you tell me kid has to pick one or the other, wrong answer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I fear you’re fighting an uphill battle, my friend. Unfortunately, this is no longer primarily a public health issue. All sides have “weaponized” the pandemic for use in political warfare. So, decisions are often driven by concerns other than public health.

Great word choice by saying “all sides” Bob.  Safe play.  Glad you can see that.  Big step forward for you.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well considering I have been to numerous (4 I believe already this summer) meetings already and there are zoom meetings occurring all over the state and I have been doing film review, discussions with my crew and other crews, etc,.......again, nice try Bob.

My crew knows EXACTLY how I feel about masks.  

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

People focusing on the declining death rate as evidence that resuming “normalcy” is appropriate are looking at an incomplete picture. COVID 19 is not an “all or nothing” disease like influenza. You get the flu, you recover or, in a very small % of patients you die. There’s generally no in between. Increasingly, researchers are finding that is not the case with COVID 19. Although COVID 19 is many times more likely to kill you than the flu, researchers are now finding a disturbing rate of complications in recovered patients. The most serious appears to be some type of coagulopathy which causes blood clots to form, which can result in heart attacks, pulmonary emboli, or strokes, including strokes in very young people. There are also neurological and kidney complications, not to mention permanent lung scarring. So, the next time someone poo-poos COVID-19 because it “only” has a 1% fatality rate, keep in mind that the rate of those experiencing significant and potentially permanent health effects is many multiples of that.

Why is focusing on the death rate so bad.... that logic you have is twisted... isn't the idea to save people........ Jesus, you guys are unreal sometimes... you have zero endgame... i feel even when there is a vaccine people will find a reason to cancel everything. We are losing a generations mental health by locking down. Not to mention the lockdown causes death. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35-percent-of-excess-deaths-from-pandemic-not-caused-by-covid-19

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I totally agree with you.  Until someone younger gets it and passes it on to parents/grandparents and they die will some people wake up that it is not like the flu.  I am not 100% of standing on the sidelines with a mask this season as well (if games are even played)

1 hour ago, Raven67 said:

Why is focusing on the death rate so bad.... that logic you have is twisted... isn't the idea to save people........ Jesus, you guys are unreal sometimes... you have zero endgame... i feel even when there is a vaccine people will find a reason to cancel everything. We are losing a generations mental health by locking down. Not to mention the lockdown causes death. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35-percent-of-excess-deaths-from-pandemic-not-caused-by-covid-19

Well, if you’re going to do some kind of cost-benefit analysis to determine whether the restrictions are “worth it,” shouldn’t you include all of the “costs“ in the analysis? Death is not the only “cost” associated with COVID-19.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raven67 said:

That’s the problem with the cancel culture...There is no end game! Only about 1% of the population has been exposed to the virus.  It will take about 55% to 65% exposure before we could get herd immunity. And no telling when a vaccine will be available or how it will fare.  So do you want businesses shut down...no high school sports and live in fear for the next 2 years? 5 years?  What’s the end game?  If you don’t want to attend games or allow your kids to play, then don’t.  It’s a free country...but don’t take these years away from the kids because you are scared.  We have to get back to some sort of normalcy. Is it August 21st yet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

OUM:

I want you to sell all the baseball coaches, players, families, schools, the idea that they cannot play their sport in the spring because football is being played instead.   

If you tell me kid has to pick one or the other, wrong answer. 

The kid will be lucky if he gets to make a choice of either one, coach.   That's just the way it would be.

And after no basketball tourney, no baseball, no track and no tennis, they'll be lucky to play checkers in the spring.

Spring football assumes some medical vaccine or treatment help that is not guaranteed in any way.

This is a football board so we havent even discussed basketball.   500-1000 kids Indoors? Grabbing and holding (on good defensive teams) and sweating on each other. Starting in November? That sport has less chance of going off than football.

If football is cancelled, basketball might be, too.

By spring the kids and everybody who knows them could be begging for the chance to make a choice.

5 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I do and I don't.....

I hope our legal system doesn't consider burden of proof as speculation.  (your examples of Jimmy and Suzie....how do I know they weren't exposed at a party, at Pizza Hut , at church, on a date, running into each other at Wal-Mart, etc.?)

This particular age group is not at high risk for hospitalization and mortality...at least not currently.  Sadly, they are at much higher risk everytime they get behind the wheel of a car.  

Many other countries are finding a way to return to school.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-school-reopen-millions-children-europe-asia-return-covid-guidlines-2020-05-21/

I just find it hard to believe that we can't protect the most vulnerable to mortality with this virus, while returning to work and school.

I am not downplaying the negative effects of COVID...I just think we can manage this risk and still let people live as close to a normal life as possible.....I hate to see fear win the day without truly understand who is most at risk and how to protect them.

I certainly respect your thoughts....its a tough subject.

TD;

I appreciate your thoughts and obviously I dont know what's going to happen. 

Most of the people on this board are pretty hard core. They've seen it all. Until now.  Its the unknown aspect of this that is scary.

Just so we're clear, I do think I know how you feel. I was seriously depressed to see the basketball tourney wiped out. 

And Crown Point high school had 13 returning starters off a team rated No.1 in 4A in baseball and three Division I softball pitchers on the 2020 squad that was the defending regional champ.  But the spring season was wiped out. A total loss. 

I've walked the sidelines every football season since the 1980s like may here have and I've already been told that I would be seriously foolish to attend ANY basketball games this winter with the virus and some pre-existing medical conditions (like old age) that I have. The empty school campuses where I live truly upset me and I admit to being a little scared that I wont live long enough to see things return to the 'normal life' you speak of. 

I really do want the football season to go on as scheduled next month.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

TD;

I appreciate your thoughts and obviously I dont know what's going to happen. 

Most of the people on this board are pretty hard core. They've seen it all. Until now.  Its the unknown aspect of this that is scary.

Just so we're clear, I do think I know how you feel. I was seriously depressed to see the basketball tourney wiped out. 

And Crown Point high school had 13 returning starters off a team rated No.1 in 4A in baseball and three Division I softball pitchers on the 2020 squad that was the defending regional champ.  But the spring season was wiped out. A total loss. 

I've walked the sidelines every football season since the 1980s like may here have and I've already been told that I would be seriously foolish to attend ANY basketball games this winter with the virus and some pre-existing medical conditions (like old age) that I have. The empty school campuses where I live truly upset me and I admit to being a little scared that I wont live long enough to see things return to the 'normal life' you speak of. 

I really do want the football season to go on as scheduled next month.

A real dose of reality

1 hour ago, wrcsage said:

What is the difference between now and March??

We know a TON more about the virus, how it spreads, and who is the most vulnerable.

8 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Well considering I have been to numerous (4 I believe already this summer) meetings already and there are zoom meetings occurring all over the state and I have been doing film review, discussions with my crew and other crews, etc,.......again, nice try Bob.

My crew knows EXACTLY how I feel about masks.  

So, just wondering, IF there is football in what, a little less than 5 weeks, are refs required to wear masks??