Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Suspended or cancelled season

11 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

UConn (FBS independent) not able to schedule any opponents and decides to cancel. They’re not Notre Dame. 

In one of the 1,000 threads on here, wasn’t there a discussion about difficulty of scheduling for independents?

Speaking of Notre Dame. Anyone notice how Jack Swarbrick changed his tune about a delay as soon as ND was able to field a full ACC schedule this fall?

Yep.

I would've LOVED to see ND get kicked to the curb this year and left holding their arrogant schwantz'.

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Was watching a little of the Melbourne Demons vs. the Adelaide Crows Australian Rules Football this morning on the Ocho.  Plenty of physical contact and some fans in the stands. Can see some video of the games below.....

https://www.afl.com.au/

Are things better down under?  Doesn't seem so.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/australian-state-declares-coronavirus-state-disaster-south-africa-tops-500-n1235603

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/australia/australia-melbourne-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Interesting approach by the Aussies....

That's not the whole country. It's a state inside the country that is shutting down...was Melbourne the home team or was adelaide? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Westminster governments don't have fixed section dates, only maximum time between elections.

So no, got it!

LETS ROLL!

51 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Not really Washington.

Yes it did. 

Covid isn't politically driven, if it was politically driven.. The United States would have been the only country to get it.. Instead....countries all across the world has had cases and in some cases really struggled with it...and some of those countries aren't having elections this year.. 

Governor Pitzker, Whittmer and Inslee shut down their states.. You are telling me they are wanting to kill their economy and sabotage their state and federal seats, a Senate race (Whittmer) or their own re election (Inslee) by shutting down their own states? No. 

Again that kills your theory that covid is politically driven. 

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Yep.

I would've LOVED to see ND get kicked to the curb this year and left holding their arrogant schwantz'.

You are correct.  They had to cancel because they are independent in football and with most conferences playing in league only, they were the odd man out (much like me:)).  But, not to back down from my fatalistic demeanor, Covid-19 is a certain death sentence...

:classic_cool:

56 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Yes it did. 

Covid isn't politically driven, if it was politically driven.. The United States would have been the only country to get it.. Instead....countries all across the world has had cases and in some cases really struggled with it...and some of those countries aren't having elections this year.. 

Governor Pitzker, Whittmer and Inslee shut down their states.. You are telling me they are wanting to kill their economy and sabotage their state and federal seats, a Senate race (Whittmer) or their own re election (Inslee) by shutting down their own states? No. 

Again that kills your theory that covid is politically driven. 

Ask them. Whitmer didn’t mind killing seniors living in nursing homes. 

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I found what UConn's schedule was supposed to be for 2020.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/dog-house/uconn-releases-finalized-2020-football-schedule-huskies/2158503/

Illinois, Indiana (Big Ten), Ole Miss (SEC),  North Carolina/Virginia (ACC) were going to be their $$ games.  All of those conferences dropped them for conference-only schedules.  I'm almost positive San Jose State cancelled most/all of their football schedule as well.  

Reminds me of when I was a young lad. After several girls turned me down for the dance, I would proudly tell my friends "I want to go stag, so I don't limit my options." 

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I agree with him. Go ahead with what's scheduled and do what we can do to stay safe until it either gets better or has to be shut down. 

Interesting tidbit I hadn't noted on the Illinois plan from anything I had read/heard/seen previously; while they have moved their season to the "spring," they will not be contesting a state championship, only the lowest "championship" level of their tournament.

His take appears in lockstep with everything that Cox had said prior to his retirement; whether you agree with his/their position or not, I think it best that this presents as seamless a transition as possible.

36 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Interesting tidbit I hadn't noted on the Illinois plan from anything I had read/heard/seen previously; while they have moved their season to the "spring," they will not be contesting a state championship, only the lowest "championship" level of their tournament.

His take appears in lockstep with everything that Cox had said prior to his retirement; whether you agree with his/their position or not, I think it best that this presents as seamless a transition as possible.

I had not noticed that either until now. But that is the only way the math works.

Not sure who they are trying to fool, but Feb. 15th isn’t ‘Spring’ on a calendar, and I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be outside in Dekalb or Chicago that time of year.

There are 11 Friday nights between Feb. 15 and May 1. Presumably you need the first two for a intrasquad and a scrimmage. They will not be coming off summer workouts like Indiana teams currently are, so they will be starting from scratch 2/15.

That leaves 9 more Fridays before May 1, the length of the current regular season. Any playoff tournament games would come at the expense of the regular season. My guess would be no playoff at all. Since the ‘Top 32’  qualify for the playoffs, there is no current geographic or district structure. 

One last problem with Illinois. Try selling to Indiana basketball fans that you are stopping after sectionals in February (exactly what happened Spring 2020) so that you can have a football season right afterwards. See how well that would go over.

59 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I agree with him. Go ahead with what's scheduled and do what we can do to stay safe until it either gets better or has to be shut down. 

Can you copy and paste that article or someone can? I can't read it. 

13 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I had not noticed that either until now. But that is the only way the math works.

Not sure who they are trying to fool, but Feb. 15th isn’t ‘Spring’ on a calendar, and I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be outside in Dekalb or Chicago that time of year.

There are 11 Friday nights between Feb. 15 and May 1. Presumably you need the first two for a intrasquad and a scrimmage. They will not be coming off summer workouts like Indiana teams currently are, so they will be starting from scratch 2/15.

That leaves 9 more Fridays before May 1, the length of the current regular season. Any playoff tournament games would come at the expense of the regular season. My guess would be no playoff at all. Since the ‘Top 32’  qualify for the playoffs, there is no current geographic or district structure. 

One last problem with Illinois. Try selling to Indiana basketball fans that you are stopping after sectionals in February (exactly what happened Spring 2020) so that you can have a football season right afterwards. See how well that would go over.

Thought I'd read and could be very wrong that illnois isn't doing a state tournament football.. 

Indiana High School Athletic Association commissioner Paul Neidig, in his first week on the job, touched on several topics Monday in a Zoom call with the state’s high school athletic directors, confirming the association plans to move forward with fall sports as contests begin this week for girls golf and practices for boys tennis, football, cross-country, volleyball and soccer.

Neidig said there would be more guidance forthcoming from the IHSAA on attendance at sporting events. Under Gov. Eric Holcomb’s five-stage reopening plan, which is currently in stage 4.5, for events and gatherings with more than 250 people, organizers will be required to submit a written plan to their local health department for approval.

Neidig touched on several other topics, including:

>> Masks: “Unless you are involved in strenuous activity, everybody should be masked up at this particular time. That is whether you are coaching, standing on the sidelines, anything. If you are coming to and from practices, wear a mask — unless you are in a strenuous physical activity.”

Neidig said gaiter masks, which are worn around a player’s neck, could be worn during activity and then pulled up to cover the face and nose when a player comes out of a game.

>> On fall sports: “There are a few outliers out there, but the vast majority of schools are planning on participating this fall. And we’re planning on continuing what we’re doing here in the office.”

>> On Illinois, which moved football, volleyball and soccer to the spring and keep golf, tennis, cross-country and swimming in the fall: “That’s an all-in or all-out commitment. They’ve committed to that and are going to start that in January. They are going to have abbreviated seasons that they are going to compete in. One thing that’s not in the documentation: Illinois is not going to contest any state championships in their model. Illinois may offer a first round. In our world it’s called a sectional, in their world it’s called a regional, and it will stop there. But once you commit to that model — let’s say the vaccination does come, treatment options get better, the virus continues to go down — there’s no going back from that model. You are committed to that model for a year. We’ve studied a lot of models in the office and what different models would look like. We’ve just not felt it was particularly prudent at the time to make that change.”

New IHSAA assistant commissioner Paul Neidig,
Neidig went on to say, as he has previously, that his perspective on moving football to the spring and non-contact sports like baseball and softball to the fall is that he would not want those sports to potentially miss back-to-back seasons and football to play in the spring and then the fall again for safety reasons.

“I’m not saying anything is off the table,” he said. “I’m just offering some insights into things I’m thinking about and looking at. I don’t have all the answers, but I continue to listen to what are counterparts around us are doing and how they are approaching it.”

Get the High School Hoops newsletter in your inbox.
Indiana high school basketball new, scores, highlights and more.

Delivery: Varies
Your Email
The new IHSAA commissioner also touched on how the landscape would change as it relates to club sports if the association shut down athletics. 

“Let’s say we did not have fall sports programs,” Neidig said. “From this office’s standpoint, we would be forced back into either opening back up our summer rules and going back into summer mode. Or at a minimum, we would be out of season for our kids. Which means, the problems you are currently considering out there of kids going off to programming outside of the school-based model, where they are going to AAU tournaments, going to softball tournaments, going to baseball tournaments, would continue through the fall. These for-profit entities would continue to operate if we shut down. And the same problems you’re dealing with effectively now by identification, quarantine and working with your student-athletes, are going to be there. … From my conversations with people in health departments, they are not thinking about the alternative. They aren’t thinking about what it looks like if high school athletics are shut down. To take a kid away from their mentors, their teachers, their leaders.”

Neidig was asked specifically about Marion County and what would happen if a county — or multiple counties — are unable to participate in a state tournament. 

First Indiana high school sports event for nearly 5 months tees off: 'It’s weird.'
Washington Twp. to resume sports, asks for better guidance from IHSAA, Marion County
Unknowns dominate final week on job for IHSAA commissioner: 'Everybody is a little bit edgy'
Football spared in Marion County — for now. It's up to you if we see it this fall.
For Indiana high school sports return, 'on track' isn't one size fits all
“I have to make decisions that address the entire state,” Neidig said. “I think that’s what our lens is. I’ve shared that with individuals at (the Marion County health department) and other individuals. Certainly my hope is that we can continue to make a case (for athletics) based on some of those things I’ve stated today that we know we’re better off in our environment rather than allowing non-supervised activities to go on outside of the school day. We have a much better chance to control it if they allow us to stay in contact with our student-athletes after the school day. … We’ll cross that road (on Marion County sports) if we get there and hopefully we don’t.”

Neidig again touched on what he sees as a problematic issue with travel sports if the high school season is shut down.

“Anytime I’ve talked to individuals, I’ve asked the question: ‘What is your plan for non-high school-based athletic programs?’” Neidig said. “AAU events, little leagues and I get crickets when I ask that question. There is no response.”

Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.

2 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Can you copy and paste that article or someone can? I can't read it. 

see above