Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

North Central (Indy)

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

My superintendent was adamant Washington Township acted independently.  Every other Marion County superintendent plus some from Hendricks and Hamilton had a conference call with city officials yesterday and were told to proceed as planned but be flexible.

I am sure he is right. That said Washington Township is in a unique spot. Losing the North Central HS AD to the virus was a hard hit for the high school and the community; especially considering it is highly likely he got the virus while at work. My guess is that there are other significant cases in the district that helped drive this decision. But it goes to a point I made earlier; anyone can cite stats all they want; the thinking changes completely when one of your own school people gets it and dies from it. Stats do not matter to the North Central coaches, athletes, teachers, family and friends of Paul Loggan. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I am sure he is right. That said Washington Township is in a unique spot. Losing the North Central HS AD to the virus was a hard hit for the high school and the community; especially considering it is highly likely he got the virus while at work. My guess is that there are other significant cases in the district that helped drive this decision. But it goes to a point I made earlier; anyone can cite stats all they want; the thinking changes completely when one of your own school people gets it and dies from it. Stats do not matter to the North Central coaches, athletes, teachers, family and friends of Paul Loggan. 

Correct but every school in the area (to the best of my knowledge) has offered a remote option for those that have their doubts.  In order for those to be sustainable, you have to have teachers to instruct the remote classes.  If you are fearful, you can apply for one of those spots. It’s not like you do not have options.

Those spots were very competitive in my district and I am sure the balance between the best candidates and those who are the most vulnerable will be selected.

Not to sound as if I am not empathetic but this was one of my first thoughts yesterday when the news broke.  The fact that the virus hit home in Washington Township drove the decisions more so than common sense and data.

21 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Comparing numbers in Germany to the US is an apples to oranges comparison. Germany took measures that were much more stringent than any State in the US. Having friends who live and teach in Germany, they do have class size limits of 15 students in a class now. That will rarely happen anywhere in the US; let alone Indiana. They also only go 2-3 days a week in groups. 
"The study tested the blood of around 1,500 children aged between 14 and 18"

Germany's system is significantly different than the US as well. By the age of 14, many kids in Germany start apprenticeships to learn a trade. The ones in school by that age are college bound. 

Also, to counter the claim that kids may not spread it:

https://www.macon.com/news/coronavirus/article244158667.html?fbclid=IwAR3FEyamzZAQy_Re33VSOc1_0GCl13bX-BxXPeSuQUtWOMfWzAe8PtCYhBY 

https://dontforgetthebubbles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COVID-data-top-10.pdf

Oh kids spread...but larger studies show they aren't as effective at is as adults are.  This study is long in the tooth now but chocked full of great references.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Is attending a sectional basketball game considered being at work?

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

Blue Jeans.  Wouldn't fly where I teach!  🙂

Who said she’s the teacher dude?  Really?

I certainly understand the personal dimension for Indy north, as they lost one of the inner circle.  But I question their decision when i read articles like this about Marion County.  Is IN in Marion county?  If so, they are going against the advice of the health experts?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2020/07/13/indiana-education-schools-safe-reopen-says-marion-county-health-official/5430803002/

3 hours ago, Jim Beaver said:

I certainly understand the personal dimension for Indy north, as they lost one of the inner circle.  But I question their decision when i read articles like this about Marion County.  Is IN in Marion county?  If so, they are going against the advice of the health experts?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2020/07/13/indiana-education-schools-safe-reopen-says-marion-county-health-official/5430803002/

Will parents pressure Washington township to reconsider?

Edited by Titan32

39 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

They should. That’s A LOT of parents. If they don’t support the “closing”. 

10 hours ago, Titan32 said:

While not necessarily afluent, Washington Township is in a unique situation Marion County as they are not nearly as impoverished as most other county areas.

I’m willing to bet many of their families can support e-learning better than most.  

I know social media doesn’t speak for the masses, but most of the publicity I have seen that they have received from families within the district has been positive.

16 minutes ago, Temptation said:

While not necessarily afluent, Washington Township is in a unique situation Marion County as they are not nearly as impoverished as most other county areas.

I’m willing to bet many of their families can support e-learning better than most.  

I know social media doesn’t speak for the masses, but most of the publicity I have seen that they have received from families within the district has been positive.

Sometimes there can be a lot of pressure being the odd man out.  Perhaps a slightly delayed opening would be a way to "save face".

15 minutes ago, Temptation said:

In a meeting we had yesterday our admins were in awe of the e-learning framework that Washington Township has.  They did a lot of things that make sense.  I don't have the specifics but we will be getting some of what they did.  We are going to offer an elearning option for those who want it.  We will still get quite a few in the building also.  I hope we don't have shutdowns and I hope we can get a chance to play.

3 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

In a meeting we had yesterday our admins were in awe of the e-learning framework that Washington Township has.  They did a lot of things that make sense.  I don't have the specifics but we will be getting some of what they did.  We are going to offer an elearning option for those who want it.  We will still get quite a few in the building also.  I hope we don't have shutdowns and I hope we can get a chance to play.

The framework is only one part of the equation. You have to have someone at home to help the students execute it.  You can have the greatest curriculum in the world but if you don’t have the means or resources to succeed as a family it won’t matter.

As I mentioned before, Washington Township is one of the most affluent townships in Marion County (second behind Franklin).  They might be able to pull it off because they are the exception and not the rule.

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

The framework is only one part of the equation. You have to have someone at home to help the students execute it.  You can have the greatest curriculum in the world but if you don’t have the means or resources to succeed as a family it won’t matter.

As I mentioned before, Washington Township is one of the most affluent townships in Marion County (second behind Franklin).  They might be able to pull it off because they are the exception and not the rule.

Our families that are opting for the elearning option are being told that they will be responsible for keeping up.  The teachers will be available but during the school day our attention is to be on the students in the building.  I may offer an evening online help session for those students but it will be on my time.  But any way we can make the elearning process better we should investigate even if it is the framework.

12 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

Our families that are opting for the elearning option are being told that they will be responsible for keeping up.  The teachers will be available but during the school day our attention is to be on the students in the building.  I may offer an evening online help session for those students but it will be on my time.  But any way we can make the elearning process better we should investigate even if it is the framework.

Most districts in my area are not having teachers “double dip.”  We conducted interviews for our teachers who were going to head up the remote learning piece and all others are set to teach in the building.  We are a huge district and over 1000 students have chosen the remote option which is still well under 10 percent of our families.

Many (if not most) families don’t have that 8-4 type schedule where they can just “keep up.”  Parents work essential jobs and kids are often home alone.  Even though we are finally one to one on devices for every kid (k-12) in my district I know that that is not common everywhere.  What do you say the family that has five kids but only has two devices?  It’s much more complicated than just “keep up” especially if three of those are elementary aged kiddos.

What are the demographics of your school in terms of free and reduced lunch rate if you don’t mind me asking?

On 7/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, DannEllenwood said:

Who said she’s the teacher dude?  Really?

I was assuming by the position she was standing in, not working on the table, not holding a pencil and writing on a half sheet, and  not having the appropriate shoes to be doing an experiment.  But again, I don't like your president and I teach undocumented children, so what do I know?  I wonder how many jobs would be lost at KV schools from the top down if undocumented families didn't live there? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/06/illegal-immigrant-label-offensive-wrong-activists-say

Both Lawrence Township and Washington Township and to a lesser extent Pike Township have a broad mix of students with a large number at both extremes. Lawrence has students from around Geist as well as students around 38th and Post, one of the poorest areas of the city. The northern part of Washington Township and the old money of Meridian Kessler that feeds into it are very affluent, but they also reach around Broad Ripple down to 46th and Emerson and 38th and Kessler. Wayne and Warren are very similar but with less of the affluence. Decatur is working middle class and Perry/Franklin both have a good mix but less extremes. IMHO they will all struggle at some level though with eLearning because a large percentage either have both parents working, a single parent, or financial limitations that make eLearning more difficult.

So what you are saying is....it is the poor kids that will keep us in school playing football?

That's an interest stat. I would never have guessed Franklin Township is the most affluent. Are you basing it on free and reduced lunch percentages? If true it's only because they don't have as much of the lower extremes as the other districts. Washington and Lawrence definitely have the most affluent areas of Marion County, but they also have some of the poorest.

Most districts in my area are not having teachers “double dip.”  We conducted interviews for our teachers who were going to head up the remote learning piece and all others are set to teach in the building.  We are a huge district and over 1000 students have chosen the remote option which is still well under 10 percent of our families.

Many (if not most) families don’t have that 8-4 type schedule where they can just “keep up.”  Parents work essential jobs and kids are often home alone.  Even though we are finally one to one on devices for every kid (k-12) in my district I know that that is not common everywhere.  What do you say the family that has five kids but only has two devices?  It’s much more complicated than just “keep up” especially if three of those are elementary aged kiddos.

What are the demographics of your school in terms of free and reduced lunch rate if you don’t mind me asking?

Per the 2020 numbers from the indoe we are 56.9% economically disadvantaged as a corporation and 50.5% at the High School where I teach.  I have lived in this community since 1997 but have only taught here since 2013 and this number has risen since I moved here.  I agree that these kids need to be in school but the choice is there and the rules need to followed to attend.  The parents will make the decision that is best for them.  We will be there until we are told we can't be.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I was assuming by the position she was standing in, not working on the table, not holding a pencil and writing on a half sheet, and  not having the appropriate shoes to be doing an experiment.  But again, I don't like your president and I teach undocumented children, so what do I know?  I wonder how many jobs would be lost at KV schools from the top down if undocumented families didn't live there? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/06/illegal-immigrant-label-offensive-wrong-activists-say

Can I just walk into your home?

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

So what you are saying is....it is the poor kids that will keep us in school playing football?

Quite possibly.  They depend on the school system for a lot more than just learning.  It is often the safest place in their lives and the only structure that some students can count upon.

Plus, most are fed by the school district which is the foundation by which learning can occur.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

That's an interest stat. I would never have guessed Franklin Township is the most affluent. Are you basing it on free and reduced lunch percentages? If true it's only because they don't have as much of the lower extremes as the other districts. Washington and Lawrence definitely have the most affluent areas of Marion County, but they also have some of the poorest.

Accurate.

I believe Warren and Wayne (could be wrong) are the only districts in the county that provide universal free meals to all students.  Both are well over 70 percent (maybe even over 80) when it comes to qualification procedures for such a program.

They need schools to be open more so than most.

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

Quite possibly.  They depend on the school system for a lot more than just learning.  It is often the safest place in their lives and the only structure that some students can count upon.

Plus, most are fed by the school district which is the foundation by which learning can occur.

Accurate.

I believe Warren and Wayne (could be wrong) are the only districts in the county that provide universal free meals to all students.  Both are well over 70 percent (maybe even over 80) when it comes to qualification procedures for such a program.

They need schools to be open more so than most.

I looked it up and found data for 2017. Warren was 73.2% F&R and Wayne was 73.6%. Decatur, Pike, and Lawrence were in the 60%, Washington was 55% and Franklin was 37%. Perry's information wasn't there for some reason. These were about what I expected. There are larger lower income pockets in Warren and Wayne. This doesn't show the higher extremes though. Franklin also struggles a little due to the lack of corporate taxes paid there. It is largely residential.