Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 2 July

Thus far just today: (teams dealing with COVID-19)

Terre Haute South HS

North Central HS (Indy)

Portage has suspended all athletic practices and events until further notice.
In a letter to athletes and families, Superintendent Dr. Amanda Alaniz wrote:
"Portage Township Schools has remained in close contact with county and state officials to monitor the number of cases of COVID-19 in Porter County and Indiana. Out of an abundance of caution, we are suspending all Portage High School athletic practices and events until further notice. Additionally, all Portage Township Schools facilities will be closed."
Edited by cw13

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Does this force Valpo to do the same? 

Northern Porter County:  Portage    Suspended activities 

Mid Porter County:   Valpo/wheeler 

Southern Porter County:  Boone Grove  Suspended Activities 

Unfortunate for these athletes that the word not to be spoken (politics) is more important than them getting to live their life.      Only good thing I see is suspended not canceled.   

21 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Does this force Valpo to do the same? 

Northern Porter County:  Portage    Suspended activities 

Mid Porter County:   Valpo/wheeler 

Southern Porter County:  Boone Grove  Suspended Activities 

No. Why would they?  

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The more schools that do this, the greater the pressure on the remaining schools to follow suit. How far off is the “tipping point?”

Why?  Schools need to stand their damn ground. If things are fine with said school. 

14 minutes ago, Mayo77 said:

Unfortunate for these athletes that the word not to be spoken (politics) is more important than them getting to live their life.      Only good thing I see is suspended not canceled.   

Just wait until parents really begin speaking up. 
The science says schools need to be open. 
This is not good, but not for the “virus”. 

12 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Very unfortunate.   These decisions were not arrived at on a whim.   It’s hard to do the right thing, or whatever we think right thing is.

I can’t wait to see the schools that stay open and move forward safely. 

6 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Parents need to speak up.   This has gone too far.   

5 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I hope they do.  On another note, schools in Los Angeles and San Diego will begin the year online.

I am not sure why BG and Portage made these decisions....Portage is doing elearning I guess first 9 weeks.  Did the Governor or the county move us back to phase 1?  I dont think so.  Has there been a huge increase in cases, hospitalizations, or deaths?  No....There has been upsurges of case in parts of the country for sure... but this seems to me that the admin just panicked and caved to parents or somebody else.  I sort of don't get why they let it start, and then just pulled the plug.  It would make more sense to just say we are delaying anything to august.  

2 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

Parents need to speak up.   This has gone too far.   

Yes sir. I’d be glad to help any that have questions. 

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

I hope they do.  On another note, schools in Los Angeles and San Diego will begin the year online.

Read the la teachers unions stance. I’ll get you the exact tomorrow. It’s on my phone. I’m on my I pad. 

43 minutes ago, Jim Beaver said:

I am not sure why BG and Portage made these decisions....Portage is doing elearning I guess first 9 weeks.  Did the Governor or the county move us back to phase 1?  I dont think so.  Has there been a huge increase in cases, hospitalizations, or deaths?  No....There has been upsurges of case in parts of the country for sure... but this seems to me that the admin just panicked and caved to parents or somebody else.  I sort of don't get why they let it start, and then just pulled the plug.  It would make more sense to just say we are delaying anything to august.  

IMHO. Cya and not willing to take an unpopular stance. Science supports the opening of schools. 

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

The more schools that do this, the greater the pressure on the remaining schools to follow suit. How far off is the “tipping point?”

Or...the more schools that do not, the greater the pressure to recend.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gipper said:

LA teachers unions will not go back until the police are defunded and charters are defunded. 

Parents need to speak up. 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Yes. This is awesome. Unity!  

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

I wish pressure worked like that but it rarely does...

5 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think it is exactly the same in either direction...depending on the majority push.

Nah, not in 2020 my man.  “The majority push” is currently in favor of FEAR and it’s not even close.  Check every major media outlet and what they are pushing on their news feed.  They are picking and choosing their data points (the wrong ones I might add) to create panic.

Panic usually leads to “better safe than sorry” types of decisions even when common sense points in the other direction.

Edited by Guest

I want to add that I believe that suburban and rural schools will probably be fine.  They might have an outbreak or close around flu season but I think the Indy schools are in trouble.

“Awaiting the July 4th spike” is now the new buzz phrase...

16 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fort Wayne doing phone interviews now with parents to find out their thoughts.   Seems late in the game to start that personally......

No...they are just following South Bend's plan...South Bend will vote on the proposal on August 3.  A little late wouldn't you think?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fort Wayne doing phone interviews now with parents to find out their thoughts.   Seems late in the game to start that personally......

Nah, from a return to school standpoint it’s right on time.  Looks like their kids are set to go back on August 10th and you want to give people time to make decisions but you also want them to have the latest data available when doing so.

My district was set to return on July 27th and sent out a parent survey on July 6th.  It is due this Friday (the 17th).  We have since postponed our start date for students to August 12th.  So far less than 6 percent of families have chosen the remote option.

Now, it sucks for the athletic teams that started practicing last week if remote learning wins out.

47 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Nah, not in 2020 my man.  “The majority push” is currently in favor of FEAR and it’s not even close.  Check every major media outlet and what they are pushing on their news feed.  They are picking and choosing their data points (the wrong ones I might add) to create panic.

Panic usually leads to “better safe than sorry” types of decisions even when common sense points in the other direction.

And it only takes one to take that stand and lead.